AVS Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 3303 Posts

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
It’s a shame it’s not public because it’s pretty damn awesome.
This feature is for people with knowledge about HDMI and Audio Video equipment.

Its not public because it's a technical diagnostic tool for pro installers. Similar to the service menu on a TV. Just giving someone a 41 page technical manual doesn't mean they will know how to fully utilize it. Still a nice feature for the tinkerer to have access to but manufactures aren't going to make it public because they probably then assume support responsibility and they don't want that for non CIs. Also not sure if changes done in this menu are automatically reset by a factory restore. Might be I just don't know.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Its not public because it's a technical diagnostic tool for pro installers. Similar to the service menu on a TV. Just giving someone a 41 page technical manual doesn't mean they will know how to fully utilize it. Still a nice feature for the tinkerer to have access to but manufactures aren't going to make it public because they probably then assume support responsibility and they don't want that for non CIs. Also not sure if changes done in this menu are automatically reset by a factory restore. Might be I just don't know.
Did you just **** your pants?

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Just got the AVR-X1600H. I ran the Audyssey set up, and then changed all speakers to small with 80hz crossover since I have a subwoofer.
That's fine. Proper bass management.

I used the test tones and SPL meter and had to adjust manually to make my 5.1 set up the same dB for the main seating position.
No need to redo what Audyssey has already done. The internal test tones aren't run through Audyssey's EQ filters so what you corrected for wasn't actually wrong. Now when you play actual content which is run through Audyssey's filters the Reference level it set will be off.

1. Does this mean that I didn't choose the 8 positions correctly?
Nope as only the first center of head mic location sets distance and levels.

2. Did Audyssey still do anything for me since I changed the crossover frequency and dB for each speaker? Should I re-run and leave the dB and crossover frequencies as is?
Raising any receiver set crossover is perfectly fine and doesn't affect Audyssey's EQ at all. Lowering them can affect it but depends on how much you lower it which is why its recommended to only raise any receiver set crossover post Audyssey EQ. dB levels I would leave as set unless wanting to individually raise subwoofer channel levels for a more even bass /midrange sound as low frequencies take higher levels to be perceived as loud as mids. Some also boost their center channel 3dB or so for dialogue while others use Dynamic Volume. These are preference over Reference changes so no right or wrong here.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I just got the 65x900H a couple weeks ago and Denon AVR-X1600H yesterday. I have the 2.1 and eARC update for the TV. However, with my new receiver I'm getting no sound from my TV to the receiver on eARC or optical. It was working over optical on my old receiver that didn't have HDMI. I did have it working over optical with the new Denon, but after turning off the TV it's not working anymore.

I'm using a 2.1 cable with eARC from the TV on HDMI 3 (eARC/ARC) to the receiver's eARC/ARC output.

On the TV settings I went into audio output, speakers is set to "audio system", eARC to auto, I changed HDMI 3 to enhanced with Dolby vision. The receiver is set to eARC. I went to the inputs and in the TV audio row there's an X in the HDMI column. I changed the digital column to Opt 1. That did work until I turned off the TV, but isn't anymore.
Try the other optical input labeled Media Player on the off chance something happened to the first one and turn off eARC in the TV and enable ARC in the receiver (there is no specific eARC setting in the Denon). See if you can get standard ARC to work and in all tests make sure you select TV Audio on the remote unless it's set to switch automatically.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I just got the 65x900H a couple weeks ago and Denon AVR-X1600H yesterday. I have the 2.1 and eARC update for the TV. However, with my new receiver I'm getting no sound from my TV to the receiver on eARC or optical. It was working over optical on my old receiver that didn't have HDMI. I did have it working over optical with the new Denon, but after turning off the TV it's not working anymore.

I'm using a 2.1 cable with eARC from the TV on HDMI 3 (eARC/ARC) to the receiver's eARC/ARC output.

On the TV settings I went into audio output, speakers is set to "audio system", eARC to auto, I changed HDMI 3 to enhanced with Dolby vision. The receiver is set to eARC. I went to the inputs and in the TV audio row there's an X in the HDMI column. I changed the digital column to Opt 1. That did work until I turned off the TV, but isn't anymore.
Also power off the receiver after enabling ARC and then power it back up again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try the other optical input labeled Media Player on the off chance something happened to the first one and turn off eARC in the TV and enable ARC in the receiver (there is no specific eARC setting in the Denon). See if you can get standard ARC to work and in all tests make sure you select TV Audio on the remote unless it's set to switch automatically.
Also power off the receiver after enabling ARC and then power it back up again.
Ok, so I got it working. It turns out having my wireless headphones plugged into the TV's 3.5mm audio out jack was stopping it from working. Now I just need to figure out how I can get my headphones working.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Ok, so I got it working. It turns out having my wireless headphones plugged into the TV's 3.5mm audio out jack was stopping it from working. Now I just need to figure out how I can get my headphones working.
Ahhh! Least it was something easy. Good job. The 2019 Denons have Bluetooth connectivity for headphones now.

·
Registered
448 Posts

For those who are click-challenged like me, ;) here is a direct link to "it"

http://www.theaav.com/uploads/2/6/0...iagnostics_and_troubleshooting_eng_im_v00.pdf

The cable test feature is notable especially since a lot of debugging procedures start with "try a different cable". It is nice to actually be able to test a cable instead.

Scott

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
For those who are click-challenged like me, ;) here is a direct link to "it"

http://www.theaav.com/uploads/2/6/0...iagnostics_and_troubleshooting_eng_im_v00.pdf

The cable test feature is notable especially since a lot of debugging procedures start with "try a different cable". It is nice to actually be able to test a cable instead.

Scott
Most of us already have the PDF including me but thanks for that for others. I have my reservations that the receiver is accurately testing any cable for bandwidth as I've seen the same brand and length Certified cable both pass and fail using the same diagnostic tool between users and even with the same user retesting the same exact cable but getting a different result. Some of the other options like limiting the EDID video or audio seem useful.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Some of the other options like limiting the EDID video or audio seem useful.
Agreed. But make sure you make notes. Put a sticker on it or something. I can imagine a lot of head-scratching, years later, when you upgrade your TV or other equipment, and forget that you've hard-limited the Denon's HDMI capabilities in that way!

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Agreed. But make sure you make notes. Put a sticker on it or something. I can imagine a lot of head-scratching, years later, when you upgrade your TV or other equipment, and forget that you've hard-limited the Denon's HDMI capabilities in that way!
True. I assume all that resets if the receiver itself is factory reset but don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello

I recently purchased a denon avr x1600h and a polk 5.1.2 setup. I setup odyssey, and everything works fine, however when i use the ps4 pro for gaming, if i choose the 'auto' sound mode, the receiver does not make use of the .2 speakers. I know that i can choose to upmix, and i know that ps4 games are native 7.1, but i would like to know if this is a normal thing? Thanks

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If the game is sending 7.1 audio, after 5.1 the last 2 channels it tries to send to are "rear surround". The X1600H sees that you don't have those speakers attached (determined during setup and/or amp assign), and tosses the audio (unless upmixing).

It looks like the PS4 lineup doesn't support Atmos for games, but does for movies.

As a test, you could tell the X1600H that those speaker posts are rear surround instead of height, and you should get rear surround signals from them.

Hello

I recently purchased a denon avr x1600h and a polk 5.1.2 setup. I setup odyssey, and everything works fine, however when i use the ps4 pro for gaming, if i choose the 'auto' sound mode, the receiver does not make use of the .2 speakers. I know that i can choose to upmix, and i know that ps4 games are native 7.1, but i would like to know if this is a normal thing? Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
This morning I put Oblivion’s TrueHD 96kHz isolated score track on, using an Xbox One X, and the audio drop outs have returned.

I was able to get the failing Pioneer SC-63 to warm up enough to function again and the same Xbox One X, cables, and disc do NOT produce these audio drop outs.

Unfortunately the second BD-player and the other two BD discs “Dave Matthews” and “Leon” were borrowed from a friend and had been returned so I am not able to test those again at this time.

I have reached out to Denon for support. In the meantime can anyone with an Xbox One X and the Oblivion BD test the isolated score (TrueHD 96kHz track) to see if their Denon AVR produces audio drop outs? It would be nice to know if it is just this unit or if it is common with the Denon AVRs. I will hopefully test on my brother's S750H but it will be a few days before I can do so.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Denon AVR Remote 2016

Has there been replacement/enhancement for this app?

Or is most using a 3rd party app?

Obvious design issues, memory leaks etc.

I would have thought Denon would have enhanced or replaced it.
very surprised

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,218
Denon AVR Remote 2016

Has there been replacement/enhancement for this app?

Or is most using a 3rd party app?

I would have thought Denon would have enhanced or replaced it.
very surprised

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The 2016 Denon AVR Remote app is the current app.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
What are those obvious issues? They aren't obvious to me. No sign of any memory leaks either. It does what it's supposed to do pretty well IMHO.

3201 - 3220 of 3303 Posts