AVS Forum banner

4261 - 4280 of 4404 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Center Spread missing? I have two S750 receivers, one has center spread one doesn't. Both were playing YouTube videos using Dolby Surround. No firmware update available on either.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Center Spread missing? I have two S750 receivers, one has center spread one doesn't. Both were playing YouTube videos using Dolby Surround. No firmware update available on either.
Hey Jason.....check more videos. Center spread isn't always available based on the audio source. It's usually always available on 2 channel audio, like from flac or cd.

Reactions: Jason Merrick

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, that's why I figured YouTube would be the right test material. It's always stereo.

Reactions: isolar8001

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, new issue and search didn't seem to have any luck.

Using my Samsung TV, my AVR-1600H, and HDMI w/ ethernet cable connecting the e-arc HDMI2 on TV and Monitor In on AVR, I WAS able to control the volume of the AVR with the TV remote.

Suddenly, the TV doesn't show the AVR at all. It defaults to TV speakers. It plays thru the AVR-1600H and the TV speakers. I have to turn the TV down and use AVR remote for volume.

I have tried a new HDMI cord. Same issues. Turned off/unplugged the AVR, same. Completely reset the AVR thru settings reset. Still no luck.

What is going on?? About to toss this thing and bring back my old Onkyo that needs to be turned on half an hour before it puts out sound....

·
Premium Member
91,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,266 ·
Ok, new issue and search didn't seem to have any luck.

Using my Samsung TV, my AVR-1600H, and HDMI w/ ethernet cable connecting the e-arc HDMI2 on TV and Monitor In on AVR, I WAS able to control the volume of the AVR with the TV remote.

Suddenly, the TV doesn't show the AVR at all. It defaults to TV speakers. It plays thru the AVR-1600H and the TV speakers. I have to turn the TV down and use AVR remote for volume.

I have tried a new HDMI cord. Same issues. Turned off/unplugged the AVR, same. Completely reset the AVR thru settings reset. Still no luck.

What is going on?? About to toss this thing and bring back my old Onkyo that needs to be turned on half an hour before it puts out sound....
HDMI Control on the AVR is no longer required when using either ARC or eARC; however, would be required for volume control so try cycling that setting on the AVR.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just purchased and set up a Denon AVR-S750H. In the manual it says there’s a setting for dialogue control but I’m having a hard time finding it. I’m trying to increase the sound levels of voices and increasing the center channel is boosting other sounds. Could someone please direct me? TIA!

·
Premium Member
91,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,268 ·
Just purchased and set up a Denon AVR-S750H. In the manual it says there’s a setting for dialogue control but I’m having a hard time finding it. I’m trying to increase the sound levels of voices and increasing the center channel is boosting other sounds. Could someone please direct me? TIA!
Only the upper level models (ie. X6500H, X8500H) feature a true "Dialog Enhancer" setting; however, on all lower level models, other than increasing the CENTER LEVEL setting, you can also use one of the Audyssey Dynamic Volume settings (LIGHT, MEDIUM, HEAVY) to help boost lower level dialog while at the same time attenuating the loud booms/explosions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HDMI Control on the AVR is no longer required when using either ARC or eARC; however, would be required for volume control so try cycling that setting on the AVR.
Ok, which setting name would that be in the menu, and why would it have changed "overnight"? It was working fine, then suddenly it isn't.

When I go into my TV menu under sound, there are times it shows the AVR, but as soon as I go to move the "cursor " to select it, it disappears.

Is there a way to tell if one of the devices had an update?

·
Registered
189 Posts

The same thing happened to me when I changed HDMI cables. The fix was this: Turn on Anynet+ (on the Samsung) AND HDMI control (on the AVR) then do this : HDMI Reset After the AVR is recognised you can set HDMI control and Anynet+ to whatever you want.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Only the upper level models (ie. X6500H, X8500H) feature a true "Dialog Enhancer" setting; however, on all lower level models, other than increasing the CENTER LEVEL setting, you can also use one of the Audyssey Dynamic Volume settings (LIGHT, MEDIUM, HEAVY) to help boost lower level dialog while at the same time attenuating the loud booms/explosions.
thanks so much. the Audyssey Dynamic Volume settings seem to achieve what I'm looking for. although I don't understand why dialogue enhancer is included in the manual

·
Registered
63 Posts
quick caveat, this is the first time I've put together a full 5.1 av system so the whole experience is new. my system consists of
-Denon AVR-S750H
-Elac Debut 2.0 6.2 (front L/R)
-Emotiva C1+ (center)
-SVS surrounds
-SVS SB1000

I ran Audyssey and am now tweaking to optimize the sound. the one thing I'm surprised I'm having to do is boost the front L/R way higher than I thought I would. after Audyssey I didn't feel the front sound stage was very expansive. I understand most of the sound will come from the center channel but it felt like I barely noticed anything coming from the front L/R. I've got it boosted up +7db. is that normal? when I listen to music in stereo mode they sound fine. it's just when I'm in movie mode watching movies that they feel too low. appreciate you guys chiming in.

·
Premium Member
91,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,273 ·
thanks so much. the Audyssey Dynamic Volume settings seem to achieve what I'm looking for. although I don't understand why dialogue enhancer is included in the manual.
Not sure where you are seeing the term "Dialog Enhancer" as the only time that the word "dialog" is referenced in the Owner's manual is either with the "CENTER LEVEL" setting or the "DIALOG CONTROL" setting. I've already explained the former and as noted in the Owner's manual (p. 143) the latter is only available in a DTS:X audio track and then only when the movie mixer places it there which is very very rare.

quick caveat, this is the first time I've put together a full 5.1 av system so the whole experience is new. my system consists of
-Denon AVR-S750H
-Elac Debut 2.0 6.2 (front L/R)
-Emotiva C1+ (center)
-SVS surrounds
-SVS SB1000

I ran Audyssey and am now tweaking to optimize the sound. the one thing I'm surprised I'm having to do is boost the front L/R way higher than I thought I would. after Audyssey I didn't feel the front sound stage was very expansive. I understand most of the sound will come from the center channel but it felt like I barely noticed anything coming from the front L/R. I've got it boosted up +7db. is that normal? when I listen to music in stereo mode they sound fine. it's just when I'm in movie mode watching movies that they feel too low. appreciate you guys chiming in.
I doubt many ever modify the Front L/R volume levels; however, as the setup is yours, feel free to adjust speaker levels to suit your preference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I could also chalk it up to my untrained ears. appreciate your thoughts!

Not sure where you are seeing the term "Dialog Enhancer" as the only time that the word "dialog" is referenced in the Owner's manual is either with the "CENTER LEVEL" setting or the "DIALOG CONTROL" setting. I've already explained the former and as noted in the Owner's manual (p. 143) the latter is only available in a DTS:X audio track and then only when the movie mixer places it there which is very very rare.

View attachment 3120613

I doubt many ever modify the Front L/R volume levels; however, as the setup is yours, feel free to adjust speaker levels to suit your preference.

·
Registered
173 Posts
On SDR and HDR10 content, the Denon volume overlay looks normal. On Dolby Vision content it has this strange purple hue to it. All hardware is on the latest firmware. Not really a problem but wondering if this is normal / expected?

• Roku Ultra
  • Hisense H9G TV
  • Denon S650H AVR

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
On SDR and HDR10 content, the Denon volume overlay looks normal. On Dolby Vision content it has this strange purple hue to it. All hardware is on the latest firmware. Not really a problem but wondering if this is normal / expected?

• Roku Ultra
  • Hisense H9G TV
  • Denon S650H AVR

Just be glad DV works.......the solution would be to turn off that volume control....you can't turn off the H9G's, we've all tried.

·
Premium Member
91,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,277 ·

• Roku Ultra
  • Hisense H9G TV
  • Denon S650H AVR

There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread. Review post #4 item (1).

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have been playing with my system for a while. I have Denon 2600 and seven speakers, all Aperion. These are:
Two Verus III Towers, center of their older model, 6B for surrounds, A5 for Dolby which I have on the top of towers, and a sub.
My previous receiver was Pioneer Elite vsx-21 which was pretty old model. I dont know what I am missing in my setup but I feel like I am not getting everything out of my system. With Pioneer the sound was, kinda thicker, more specious if that makes any sense. Regular TV programing like shows and commercials while having no hifi sound were sounding better. I understand that it was the receiver that created an illusion of surround sound, still worth every penny I have spent on the system. I know I sound sound a bit crazy, but aren't we all here? I have been running my system with Graphic EQ on. Yesterday I decided to turn it off, and I think now I get better overall sound. What your preferences are when it comes to Graphic EQ? What about Audyssey? is it better with or without? I remember, when I first put the system together I I had these WOW moments telling my wife see, that why it is so expensive. I am not getting these WOWs with new system.
Can someone please share your settings? Also any audio links you use to verify your setups?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
What your preferences are when it comes to Graphic EQ? What about Audyssey?
After following the recommended steps for microphone placement to calibrate Audyssey room correction, I have found no need for further equalization. I will bump the subwoofer level about +3dB for some sources, but for many not even that is needed. Do Audyssey right and you may need nothing else.

·
Premium Member
91,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,280 ·
I have been playing with my system for a while. I have Denon 2600 and seven speakers, all Aperion. These are:
Two Verus III Towers, center of their older model, 6B for surrounds, A5 for Dolby which I have on the top of towers, and a sub.
My previous receiver was Pioneer Elite vsx-21 which was pretty old model. I dont know what I am missing in my setup but I feel like I am not getting everything out of my system. With Pioneer the sound was, kinda thicker, more specious if that makes any sense. Regular TV programing like shows and commercials while having no hifi sound were sounding better. I understand that it was the receiver that created an illusion of surround sound, still worth every penny I have spent on the system. I know I sound sound a bit crazy, but aren't we all here? I have been running my system with Graphic EQ on. Yesterday I decided to turn it off, and I think now I get better overall sound. What your preferences are when it comes to Graphic EQ? What about Audyssey? is it better with or without? I remember, when I first put the system together I I had these WOW moments telling my wife see, that why it is so expensive. I am not getting these WOWs with new system.
Can someone please share your settings? Also any audio links you use to verify your setups?

Thanks for any help.
Review the Audyssey FAQ as to how to best run and use Audyssey which is preferred by the vast majority of owners vs. the manual Graphic EQ settings (best used by audio calibrators).

"Official" Audyssey thread Part II | AVS Forum

4261 - 4280 of 4404 Posts