AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 2923 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Need help.

I need to buy an amplifier since my old Denon just died.

My usage:
1) Not to be used for music, only 100% Video via netflix. (no ps4, no bluray, no dvd, no appletv)
2) Netflix to be played from my 2017 Samsung TV then audio via the Denon amplifier via HDMI arc
3) 5.1 setup only (not interested to upgrade to 7.1, etc)
4) My speakers are wharfdale but i might upgrade it to something better like the low-mid end paradigm. (im looking for a big center speaker). My subwoofer is an SVS PC12 Ultra.(1pc only, no room for 2)
5) I like watching movies loud.
6) I will use this in our master bedroom (size is around 20sqm)
7) I'm also thinking if i could use this to play family videos i recorded from my iphone/ipad to my amplifier (via airplay2) then to TV but just learned that airplay 2 is only audio so im not sure if there's something that can do video without me buying an appletv. Note: My Samsung TV doesn't accept iphone connection.

I am currently looking at the Denon X3500 because of the Audyssey XT32. The X3600 doesn't seem to add any benefit to my needs and costs much higher. Do you think the X3500 is the best for me?

Thanks.

EDIT: changed "audio" to "music"1

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I am currently looking at the Denon X3500 because of the Audyssey XT32. The X3600 doesn't seem to add any benefit to my needs and costs much higher. Do you think the X3500 is the best for me?
5.1 only would require a lesser model than X3500H, but since you need Audyssey XT32 the X3500H is the best for you.

·
Premium Member
87,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
Need help.

I need to buy an amplifier since my old Denon just died.

My usage:
1) Not to be used for audio listening. Only 100% Video via netflix. (no ps4, no bluray, no dvd, no appletv)
2) Netflix to be played from my 2017 Samsung TV then audio via the Denon amplifier via HDMI arc
4) My speakers are wharfdale but i might upgrade it to something better like the low-mid end paradigm. (im looking for a big center speaker). My subwoofer is an SVS PC12 Ultra.(1pc only, no room for 2)
5) I like watching movies loud.
6) I will use this in our master bedroom (size is around 20sqm)
7) I'm also thinking if i could use this to play family videos i recorded from my iphone/ipad to my amplifier (via airplay2) then to TV but just learned that airplay 2 is only audio so im not sure if there's something that can do video without me buying an appletv. Note: My Samsung TV doesn't accept iphone connection.

Thanks.
1. You likely mean no "music" listening.
2. HDMI(ARC) doesn't always work well (esp. in the case of Samsung TVs) therefore optical may be required from the TV --> AVR if using the Netflix app on the TV.
5. Wharfedale speakers can drop below 4ohm and may cause the AVR to go into protection mode at loud volume levels without using a much stronger (eg. 200W+) external amp for at least the Front L/R speakers.
7. You'll need a 3rd party device (eg. Apple TV) to stream video which would also allow you to do Netflix and avoid having to do HDMI(ARC) from the TV.

Review post 1 of this thread to determine if you want any of the newer features provided on these 2019 models. If not, then the X3500H would be a good choice as it is the lowest model with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 as well as the lowest model with main zone pre-outs in which to connect an external amp if one is required.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks DFA973
Both have the latest firmware available from Denon. Whether we are on the same firmware here in OZ as you guys I don't know. What I have noticed was after I posted I looked at the downloaded Manual from Denon UK that I have (Denon OZ only has a product sheet on there site :mad::mad:) and it suggests that if you have issues connecting to your PC, try turning of your security ?? I'll try it later and report. Thanks again
Regards wassa

Both your X2600H and X3600H are updated to the latest firmware version?

Why do I ask? Because there was a firmware update in August 2019 that updated Web Control to be used only over SSL (port changed from the usual 10080 to 10443) but the digital certificate that is used to encrypt the connection to the AVR is a self-signed certificate and that throws a CA (Certificate Authority) error - that error may fool some browsers and trigger weird browser behavior.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, so the best way for me is to just buy the Denon X3500H and an apple TV right? Where do you think is the best place to get the Denon X3500 this coming black friday? I am not really concerned about warranty (thus im ok with buying it from non authorized dealers) since I will have this delivered to the Philippines anyway (thus warranty will be void). I am more interested in a lower price. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
87,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #847
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, so the best way for me is to just buy the Denon X3500H and an apple TV right? Where do you think is the best place to get the Denon X3500 this coming black friday? I am not really concerned about warranty (thus im ok with buying it from non authorized dealers) since I will have this delivered to the Philippines anyway (thus warranty will be void). I am more interested in a lower price. Thanks.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2935788-no-price-talk-where-buy-outside-deals-sticky.html

·
Registered
374 Posts
7) I'm also thinking if i could use this to play family videos i recorded from my iphone/ipad to my amplifier (via airplay2) then to TV but just learned that airplay 2 is only audio so im not sure if there's something that can do video without me buying an appletv. Note: My TV doesn't accept iphone connection.
7) You'll need a 3rd party device (eg. Apple TV) to stream video.
Is there any technical limitation on why the Denon AVRs are audio only capable via Airplay 2 and not fully AV capable? Seems like a really strange limitation on a AVR unit as 2019 TVs can receive full AV via AP2. Or is routing the Video signal from Wifi out to HDMI harder/costly than AV Wifi directly into the TV with Audio HDMI back out to the AVR? Yet the small Apple TV box has this capability.

·
Premium Member
87,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
Is there any technical limitation on why the Denon AVRs are audio only capable via Airplay 2 and not fully AV capable? Seems like a really strange limitation on a AVR unit as 2019 TVs can receive full AV via AP2. Or is routing the Video signal from Wifi out to HDMI harder/costly than AV Wifi directly into the TV with Audio HDMI back out to the AVR? Yet the small Apple TV box has this capability.
AFAIK, Apple hasn't authorized video streaming.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion but my LG TV is 2018 and LG has offered conflicting statements on whether they will fw update 2018 TVs with AP2. So being solutions focused I thought cool I'll use my 2019 Denon with AP2 to stream from the iOS device and play audio thru the X3600 and send video to the TV via HDMI only to find out after testing and research that not all AirPlay2 is created (licensed) equal :(

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion but my LG TV is 2018 and LG has offered conflicting statements on whether they will fw update 2018 TVs with AP2.
No conflicting statements at all. AirPlay2 won't go to the 2018 models, it's only been promised for the 2019 models. No conflict.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Never said anything about promised only conflicting. LG clearly said it may be a possibility in the future but no plans currently" that's not a yes, that's not a no.

"In a bizarre turn of events LG SK have refuted the statement made by LG UK PR team earlier today. LG offered the following statement to 9to5Mac whilst opening up to the future possibility of HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support on their older 2018 TVs:"

“LG cannot guarantee that TV models prior to 2019 will be able to deliver a seamless user experience. Therefore, while this may be a possibility in the future, at the moment, LG has no plans to update its pre-2019 TVs with Airplay2 or Homekit”.

Now back to Denon

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Never said anything about promised only conflicting. LG clearly said it may be a possibility in the future but no plans currently" that's not a yes, that's not a no.
LG has never backported any feature to an older generation of TVs.

You must erase any hope for that from your mind!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Fellas my S950H is displaying washed colors with banding to my TCL 6 Series from all attached sources for HDR 10 content. I’ve done a full factory reset and the unplug for 10 minutes reset. And it just recently started. Plugging in my sources directly to the TV confirms that the Receiver is the issue. The pic attached with is with settings set to its brightest on my TV. This crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
Fellas my S950H is displaying washed colors with banding to my TCL 6 Series from all attached sources for HDR 10 content. I’ve done a full factory reset and the unplug for 10 minutes reset. And it just recently started. Plugging in my sources directly to the TV confirms that the Receiver is the issue. The pic attached with is with settings set to its brightest on my TV. This crazy

Are you using "Premium" certified 4k/18gbps HDMI cables? Have you tried connecting to a different input on the TV?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you using "Premium" certified 4k/18gbps HDMI cables? Have you tried connecting to a different input on the TV?

It ended up being my TVs firmware. Updating to firmware 9.2 in my TCL 6 Series literally broke the handshake between the TV and my Denon S950H. I downgraded to firmware 9.1 and it fixed my issue.

·
Premium Member
87,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #860
It ended up being my TVs firmware. Updating to firmware 9.2 in my TCL 6 Series literally broke the handshake between the TV and my Denon S950H. I downgraded to firmware 9.1 and it fixed my issue.

Thanks for providing the resolution follow up. :)

841 - 860 of 2923 Posts