AVS Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 2933 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I should have mentioned that my gain was actually set to 12 o’clock when I initially ran the setup. ...... I previously tried 2 Sony receivers and got the same results. I would hate to blame the sub. It is from svs and is a factory refurbished unit. I talked to their customer service and they say it is probably on the receiver end but I don’t know now
Set the SW gain to higher than 12 o’clock until you get 0db or lower on the receiver.
If you get SW gain near to the maximum to get a decent level at the receiver probably the SW is faulty - borrow an SW from a friend and test again - so you can prove that the receiver is good and the SVS SW is faulty (or vice-versa).

·
Registered
22 Posts
You seem to get distortions on high frequencies - it may be sourced to the X3600H, but did you try to change the M-CUBE speakers to other speakers, larger, with 2-way or 3-way drivers?
Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to any other speakers. The M-Cubes have worked fine for 10 years with two previous amps so I'm wary about pointing the finger in that direction except maybe as a compatibility problem.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to any other speakers. The M-Cubes have worked fine for 10 years with two previous amps so I'm wary about pointing the finger in that direction except maybe as a compatibility problem.
Did you select other impedance than the default 8ohm?
Did you try to see that the shrill is still present with headphones?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you select other impedance than the default 8ohm?
Did you try to see that the shrill is still present with headphones?
Hadn't thought of the headphones idea... After hunting through the house and not being able to find a 6.5mm adapter anywhere, I went out and bought one. Unfortunately, the problem is the amp :(
Now I have to decide whether this one goes back and for replacement or whether to try a different amp altogether. :\
Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
New faulty units are rare - the X3600H is very good and quite capable for its price.
There's definitely something wrong and Louder Than Words really highlights it. I listened on my iPhone using the same headphones first then switched over to the Denon using Airplay so that it was the same source. Fine on the iPhone, really horrible on the Denon (but only on the very high notes from the piano and guitar).

Just got off the phone with Richer Sounds and they suggested I take the headphones over to the nearest shop and try a different 3600 in store. That should sort out whether it's mine that's the problem. A bit of a pain as it's an hour or more away but audio fidelity is a harsh mistress!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Denon tech support reports the Virtualizer feature is NOT the root cause, rather instead there is something going on with the DSP software. ... A ticket has been created for Denon engineering to investigate.

Good to know, thanks for reporting. This is by far the #1 regret I have about replacing my old Onkyo with the 3600 (I almost returned it but I got an amazing deal and decided to wait for an inevitable firmware update)... 2-channel YouTube from my Nvidia Shield is sometimes unlistenable in Dolby Surround. I don't use the height virtualization.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The AVR-X3700H, AVR-X4700H, and AVR-X6700H models are likely possible, but will the other current 2019 Denon receivers be getting a 2020 successor too or is it just the current X3600H/X4500H/X6500H models only that may get a 2020 successor?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
....... but will the other current 2019 Denon receivers be getting a 2020 successor too?
Apparently, yes, all the models from top to bottom will be updated!
But if all the models will be updated, expect higher prices, even for the lower-tier models...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Apparently, yes, all the models from top to bottom will be updated!
But if all the models will be updated, expect higher prices, even for the lower-tier models...
Or, apparently maybe. The "Guessed" crammed between 2019-2020 suggests that this is an unofficial roadmap.

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,692
The AVR-X3700H, AVR-X4700H, and AVR-X6700H models are likely possible, but will the other current 2019 Denon receivers be getting a 2020 successor too or is it just the current X3600H/X4500H/X6500H models only that may get a 2020 successor?
Only the 2018 upper level models (ie. X4500H/X6500H) that were not replaced in 2019 will be replaced this fall.

All 2019 models (ie. X3600H and lower) will continue through 2020 and will not be replaced until summer 2021.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's definitely something wrong and Louder Than Words really highlights it. I listened on my iPhone using the same headphones first then switched over to the Denon using Airplay so that it was the same source. Fine on the iPhone, really horrible on the Denon (but only on the very high notes from the piano and guitar).

Just got off the phone with Richer Sounds and they suggested I take the headphones over to the nearest shop and try a different 3600 in store. That should sort out whether it's mine that's the problem. A bit of a pain as it's an hour or more away but audio fidelity is a harsh mistress!
If anyone is interested, yesterday I went to Richer Sounds to try the other 3600. Took my headphones and it had the same problem but not as bad. However, in the demo room, we plugged the amp into a pair of KEF LS50 speakers and the problem was not there. My guess is that the amp is unhappy with full-range drivers, i.e. it's doing something to fix the problems that most speaker have with their mid/treble crossover and that fix is no good with full-range drivers. In other words, it's a compatibility problem with my M-Cubes.

Worth noting is that both my and their 3600s have a real problem with the headphone jack. Sometimes it works properly, sometimes it sounds like a poor mobile phone signal (very noticeable crunching and Dalek sounds all over the place). At first I thought it must be an Airplay problem but unplugged the headphones and the audio was fine on the speakers so it's not a connection issue. My guess would be a firmware bug.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
When are the new 2020 models due out and can I expect to save some money

It looks like the 3500 doesn't buy me much as my current receiver is 7.1.

It looks like I can add the Surround backs with a pair of bookshelves and take my 4.1 to 6.1 (no center).

My speakers are 4ohm. How is the 3600 with driving six 4 ohm Main speakers?

Are small 100hz-20khz range speakers ok for the Atmos "ceiling" speakers or I need 60Hz extension?
Are crossovers between mains and atoms surrounds set separately?

Still unsure where to place these in my long HT room with three rows of seating. Are just 2 going to be effective above on the Front wall (preferably) or between the front and the first row of seating?

It looks like Dolby recommends the Main surrounds be at the same "ear" level as the Fronts. My surround rears (bipolar) are up high (old DD guidance) in the middle of the room. I really can't move these down as there's a media shelf. Can the Denon processing compensate?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Only the 2018 upper level models (ie. X4500H/X6500H) that were not replaced in 2019 will be replaced this fall.

All 2019 models (ie. X3600H and lower) will continue through 2020 and will not be replaced until summer 2021.
Interesting. So those of us looking for an AVR with HDMI 2.1 for under $1000 are probably out of luck until 2021?

Just out of curiosity, how is this known? Or is this just the industry's best guess?

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Or, apparently maybe. The "Guessed" crammed between 2019-2020 suggests that this is an unofficial roadmap.
Er, yes of course! Look in the bottom left-hand corner ;)

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
554 Posts
Interesting. So those of us looking for an AVR with HDMI 2.1 for under $1000 are probably out of luck until 2021?
Dang, I was looking forward to getting a 3700 on sale around Oct/Nov, just before getting a PS5. I suppose I can get a 4700, but since they come out around September, the sales probably won't be very exciting. Well, maybe black friday. Hopefully, they will add a few more interesting features to make it worth it.

Reactions: dfa973

·
Registered
49 Posts
Settings that make voices more equal to music and other sound effects?

I have a X3500 and am wondering if anyone can recommend some sort of setting I can change to make the voices and sound effects more equal? Maybe some sort of compression setting?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I have a X3500 and am wondering if anyone can recommend some sort of setting I can change to make the voices and sound effects more equal? Maybe some sort of compression setting?
Thanks
Are you using Dynamic EQ? If yes, turn it off. It artificially boosts the surround speakers SPL levels which makes dialog much harder to hear.

Also, bump up your center speaker's trim level by 2-3db in Settings > Speakers > Manual Setup > Levels > Center

1681 - 1700 of 2933 Posts