AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 916 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
The other, I meant transcoding via plex. I had similar issues with some dts content, when the tv downmix to stereo dialogs are very hard to hear. I don't think there is a solution. Try disabling direct play and try to fiddle with sound settings in plex server for downmixing.

Yeah, I'll try out transcoding but I'm not keeping my hopes high. The LG TV Plex app only has "multi-channel boost" as an audio option for multi-channel source media. Here's a thread about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/6ecp39/forcing_21_stereo_on_lg_tv/

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm also using Plex with internal speakers on the C9 and don't have any issues with direct play DTS audio. So it's not a general problem.

What are your audio settings on the C9? I'm using:
ATMOS on
AI off
Mode Default
Output internal speakers
Some other AI setting off
Auto volume off
AV-sync off

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Guys I am getting a lot of flicker on grainy scenes on my new C9. Now I can understand ultra low res content will do that but this is on Dolby Vision content, IE Lara Croft 1 UHD. Is this normal and should I be using the Noise Reduction setting to Low or Auto to fix? I like Grain (said no one ever) and like to view things as originally intended so I dont want to get rid of grain either but the flicker is very annoying. Also, if i left noise to low or Auto, will it affect just bad flickery grain or all grain - for example War of Worlds is nothing but grain so how will that be effected? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Guys I am getting a lot of flicker on grainy scenes on my new C9. Now I can understand ultra low res content will do that but this is on Dolby Vision content, IE Lara Croft 1 UHD. Is this normal and should I be using the Noise Reduction setting to Low or Auto to fix? I like Grain (said no one ever) and like to view things as originally intended so I dont want to get rid of grain either but the flicker is very annoying. Also, if i left noise to low or Auto, will it affect just bad flickery grain or all grain - for example War of Worlds is nothing but grain so how will that be effected? Any help is appreciated.
Probably just film grain and when original source is film it something has slight flicker on grainy scenes.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Film grain? It is supposed to be there in case it is there originally. I remember Wow is supposed to be grainy, I can't comment on the LC it is so long ago I saw it.
Go on... what to do about flicker and settings?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Go on... what to do about flicker and settings?
See my edited message above. :)
Anyway, not sure how serious flicker you are talking about but there can be some often related to very grainy film based material.
I don't think you can get rid of one without another, and I would not use any noise reduction myself if that was the reason for it.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
See my edited message above. :)
Anyway, not sure how serious flicker you are talking about but there can be some often related to very grainy film based material.
I don't think you can get rid of one without another, and I would not use any noise reduction myself if that was the reason for it.
Its enough to make me notice and makes me think something is wrong with my TV. Of course Noise reduction to even LOW calms everything right down but as u said, sometimes its just film grain and is meant to be there so I dont want to get rid of that either. And You're saying if its film grain, dont use Noise setting to get rid of it and the flicker - Tiny dilemma hehe
That's why I was curious what will Auto do, maybe reduce noise and flicker while keeping intended grain intact :eek: that'd be amazing! Too bad I havent been able to test myself yet so I thought I'd crowd-source an answer.

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
557 Posts
Yeah, I'll try out transcoding but I'm not keeping my hopes high. The LG TV Plex app only has "multi-channel boost" as an audio option for multi-channel source media. Here's a thread about it:
All of this generic talk should be going on in the Owner's thread, not here. You are far more likely to get answers there than here.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3057634-2019-c9a-e9-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk.html

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm also using Plex with internal speakers on the C9 and don't have any issues with direct play DTS audio. So it's not a general problem.

What are your audio settings on the C9? I'm using:
ATMOS on
AI off
Mode Default
Output internal speakers
Some other AI setting off
Auto volume off
AV-sync off
I did try turning all off in the audio settings of the TV including disabling Atmos. Do you have to crank the volume all the way up to close to a 100 to be able to hear the center channel? Are you using the built-in Plex client or perhaps using another device?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turned on my C9 this morning and saw the prompt that a new update is available. I’ve restarted the TV and am now running 04.80.03 so it looks like it’s making the rounds in the UK now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Firmware update 4.80.03 fixed YouTube lipsync issue when usung internal speakers but NOT when using AVR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
so with new firmware what is now best setting for Xbox One and C9 combined with eARC Soundsystem (Samsung HW-Q90R)?

5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed or Bitstream with Dolby Atmos on Xbox?
Passthrough and eARC on C? (input PCM or Bitstream?)
Standard or Surround on Soundbar?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a quick question about the LPCM codec (changed from 2 channels to 8 channels) with the upcoming firmware.
My setup is: PC (2060 Super GPU) connected via HDMI to C9.
C9 connected via optical to Logitech Z906 speakers.
At the moment i cannot configure 5.1 on my PC (C9 is recognized as 2-speaker device)
Is the new firmware with the LPCM update going to fix that for me?
Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just a quick question about the LPCM codec (changed from 2 channels to 8 channels) with the upcoming firmware.
My setup is: PC (2060 Super GPU) connected via HDMI to C9.
C9 connected via optical to Logitech Z906 speakers.
At the moment i cannot configure 5.1 on my PC (C9 is recognized as 2-speaker device)
Thanks
No, because Optical cables are limited to 2.0 PCM.
This update only affects 5.1/7.1 PCM via eARC.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #678
No, because of the optical connection to the Logitech Z906 speakers - it can only support max. LPCM 2.0 - so there is no improvement until you replace the Logitech Z906 speakers with an eARC receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, because Optical cables are limited to 2.0 PCM.
This update only affects 5.1/7.1 PCM via eARC.
That makes me wonder how my xbox -which is connected to the same C9 with an HDMI- can output 5.1 DD/DTS (i can see my speakers turn into decode mode), while my PC cannot.
Excuse my ignorance...this is not my field of expertise :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
That makes me wonder how my xbox -which is connected to the same C9 with an HDMI- can output 5.1 DD/DTS (i can see my speakers turn into decode mode), while my PC cannot.
Excuse my ignorance...this is not my field of expertise :)
Because DTS and Dolby Digital are lossy "Non-HD" formats
That is why they work with 5.1 ch over optical.
But PCM should always be your first choice when it comes to gaming.

661 - 680 of 916 Posts