AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 593 Posts

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Thanks for the quick response. I found something that would make the volume work to the maximum, I don't know if it's a bug and I don't even know how long it will last ... I'll write maybe someone else suffered the phase with the volume and what solution I found a little earlier. ..in setup menu-imputs-source level- set to - 12db .... and now the volume goes all the way ... the walls are shaking !!!
Strange. Source level for all inputs should factory default to 0dB and would only change when modified by the owner. :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
What's even weirder ... after y decrese to - 12 and go back to 0, the limitation comes back, and if you go down to - 12 nothing happens, the limitation remains, I had to stop it and after that I went to decrease to - 12 to have full volume back. Now I say that the people from Marantz have done some study of volume limitation, but if I want to give volume until the speakers are burning it is only my problem and the limitations I think would be correct to be optional and not restrictive or is possible to be my marantz broken, i dont know!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello all,

I have an SR5014 connected to Samsung KS8000 via HDMI (ARC). I cannot see OSD when watching tv program. Is it normal or i am doing something wrong.

Kind Regards

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
@jdsmoothie, should I always leave dynamic volume disabled?

My reciever is a SR5014.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Hello all,

I have an SR5014 connected to Samsung KS8000 via HDMI (ARC). I cannot see OSD when watching tv program. Is it normal or i am doing something wrong.

Kind Regards
Yup. The OSD cannot display unless the source video is passing through the AVR which in the case of HDMI(ARC), it's not.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
@jdsmoothie, should I always leave dynamic volume disabled?

My reciever is a SR5014.
I do; however, the Audyssey settings are a personal preference thing. Dynamic Volume is generally only preferred when listening at night and you don't want to disturb others in nearby rooms who are sleeping, although another benefit is that it also improves weak dialog levels at the expense of compressing the loud booms/bangs.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
^thanks! I do like Audyssey, and left dynamic eq and volume enabled...this is new to me as a I came from a yamaha.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
^thanks! I do like Audyssey, and left dynamic eq and volume enabled...this is new to me as a I came from a yamaha.
The vast majority of owners will want to set Dynamic EQ to ON for all sources. Whether you further decide to use the Dynamic EQ (Reference Level Offset) setting is again personal preference.

For me: Dynamic EQ = ON with Reference Level Offset = 0dB.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Quick question:

Is there any way to keep the Marantz SR6014 from switching to all channel stereo? It'd be nice to have it not play dialog out of the surrounds. It seems not right that content from 2015 should be doing this, but I'm not sure where along the chain I need to check.

I also find that far too often the audio signal will drop changing inputs (something occurring during the handshake or something). Switching inputs re-establishes the audio signal, though.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Quick question:

Is there any way to keep the Marantz SR6014 from switching to all channel stereo? It'd be nice to have it not play dialog out of the surrounds. It seems not right that content from 2015 should be doing this, but I'm not sure where along the chain I need to check.

I also find that far too often the audio signal will drop changing inputs (something occurring during the handshake or something). Switching inputs re-establishes the audio signal, though.
The AVR should only change to "Multi CH Stereo" by you manually selecting that surround mode.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The AVR should only change to "Multi CH Stereo" by you manually selecting that surround mode.
Thanks for the response.

Hmm... when I press any of the sound mode buttons on the remote, the only mode that's highlighted is Dolby Audio - Dolby Surround.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Thanks for the response.

Hmm... when I press any of the sound mode buttons on the remote, the only mode that's highlighted is Dolby Audio - Dolby Surround.
Not sure what you mean by "highlighted"? There should be multiple surround modes available for you to select when you press the MOVIE/MUSIC/GAME buttons to include "Multi CH Stereo" which you indicated the AVR is somehow automatically switching to on its own.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "highlighted"? There should be multiple surround modes available for you to select when you press the MOVIE/MUSIC/GAME buttons to include "Multi CH Stereo" which you indicated the AVR is somehow automatically switching to on its own.
Oh, by "highlighted" I mean if I press any of the sound mode buttons (aside from the "Pure" button) on the remote, a dialogue box of options appears, and the one that I've always had selected is "Dolby Audio - Dolby Surround" like so:

Multi Ch Stereo is an option, but it's not selected as shown in the image.

It could very well just be the way the content's audio is mixed, but I don't recall this being a thing with my previous Onkyo AVR. The content in question is Elementary via Amazon Prime Video. It says 5.1 when you highlight the show in the menu where it displays the info about the show, but it sounds like Multi Ch Stereo when it's actually playing - other content on Prime such as American Gods doesn't have this issue.

It's the same when watching some content on regular cable TV, and sometimes it only outputs 2.1ch.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a SR6014 for a new set up. Happy with it, but I have a kinda basic question.

Are the HDMI scalers for Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 output independent? I want to use two monitors with different resolutions.

I'm thinking of getting a small/cheap 1080p monitor for just using the receiver for audio and seeing the track info.

Before I get one, it won't mess with the HDMI output to my 4k projector in any way will it?

I have this fear that when the 1080p monitor is on, it will send 1080p to both outputs if they are not truly independent.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
I have a SR6014 for a new set up. Happy with it, but I have a kinda basic question.

Are the HDMI scalers for Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 output independent? I want to use two monitors with different resolutions.

I'm thinking of getting a small/cheap 1080p monitor for just using the receiver for audio and seeing the track info.

Before I get one, it won't mess with the HDMI output to my 4k projector in any way will it?

I have this fear that when the 1080p monitor is on, it will send 1080p to both outputs if they are not truly independent.
Although they are independent, you would have to use a SMART SELECT button to save either = "Monitor 1" or "Monitor 2" (p. 187 Owner's manual) for when set to the factory default setting of "Auto(Dual)" only 1080p would pass to each display.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Oh, by "highlighted" I mean if I press any of the sound mode buttons (aside from the "Pure" button) on the remote, a dialogue box of options appears, and the one that I've always had selected is "Dolby Audio - Dolby Surround" like so:

Multi Ch Stereo is an option, but it's not selected as shown in the image.

It could very well just be the way the content's audio is mixed, but I don't recall this being a thing with my previous Onkyo AVR. The content in question is Elementary via Amazon Prime Video. It says 5.1 when you highlight the show in the menu where it displays the info about the show, but it sounds like Multi Ch Stereo when it's actually playing - other content on Prime such as American Gods doesn't have this issue.

It's the same when watching some content on regular cable TV, and sometimes it only outputs 2.1ch.
Most likely a source issue. Try selecting "Multi Ch Stereo" to see if you notice a difference.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Although they are independent, you would have to use a SMART SELECT button to save either = "Monitor 1" or "Monitor 2" (p. 187 Owner's manual) for when set to the factory default setting of "Auto(Dual)" only 1080p would pass to each display.
Thank you, very helpful.

A little more detailed question - In my use case, would it only pass 1080p if the 1080p monitor is powered on? Or is there a memory function?

In other words, can I leave it on Auto with both monitors hooked up, but only power on one monitor at a time to get the correct resolution for each monitor?

If not, for convenience sake I might want to spend a little extra for a 4k monitor to match resolutions.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
Thank you, very helpful.

A little more detailed question - In my use case, would it only pass 1080p if the 1080p monitor is powered on? Or is there a memory function?

In other words, can I leave it on Auto with both monitors hooked up, but only power on one monitor at a time to get the correct resolution for each monitor?

If not, for convenience sake I might want to spend a little extra for a 4k monitor to match resolutions.

Thanks again
In some cases, even when powered off, the EDID information of the display can still be read by the AVR.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Most likely a source issue. Try selecting "Multi Ch Stereo" to see if you notice a difference.
I may have resolved the issue?

I tried with Multi Ch Stereo selected, and it was worse. The one source where I was noticing this the most was via Amazon Prime Video via internal app on my TV. I started up the show in question, and noticed that DTS Neural X and Virtual X were available as sound mode options (. These options aren't when watching normal cable TV, but I am certain that that's because that content doesn't have a DTS encoding option available.

When I selected either Neural X or Virtual X, that seemed to have corrected the Multi Ch Stereo feeling as no more dialogue was being emitted from any of the other speakers. It could very well have just been a mismatch or the show's Dolby encoding (or whatever the correct term is) wasn't very good?

At any rate, I think this has been resolved for now - thank you for taking the time to respond. I still need to figure out why I lose audio signal altogether when switching inputs, and whether I can prevent some of the TV content from only outputting in 2.1ch :confused:

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
I may have resolved the issue?

I tried with Multi Ch Stereo selected, and it was worse. The one source where I was noticing this the most was via Amazon Prime Video via internal app on my TV. I started up the show in question, and noticed that DTS Neural X and Virtual X were available as sound mode options (. These options aren't when watching normal cable TV, but I am certain that that's because that content doesn't have a DTS encoding option available.

When I selected either Neural X or Virtual X, that seemed to have corrected the Multi Ch Stereo feeling as no more dialogue was being emitted from any of the other speakers. It could very well have just been a mismatch or the show's Dolby encoding (or whatever the correct term is) wasn't very good?

At any rate, I think this has been resolved for now - thank you for taking the time to respond. I still need to figure out why I lose audio signal altogether when switching inputs, and whether I can prevent some of the TV content from only outputting in 2.1ch :confused:
1. Losing audio momentarily between input changes is common (ie. HDMI handshake) and generally not something that can be avoided.
2. If the AVR only receives 2.0/2.1 from some stations/channels, then that is what the station is broadcasting (ie. not everything is broadcast DD 5.1). You can simply use either Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X to simulate 5.1 from the 2.0/2.1 source audio.

361 - 380 of 593 Posts