AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 593 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bought the SR6014 this past weekend. Other than it running a little on the warm side, I love it.

I've been wanting to add surround speakers to my setup - I haven't done it due to wiring challenges in the room. I run KEF LS50s w/subs on the front.

Is there a way with the SR6014 to hook into wireless speakers for surround? I know Sony supported it a little and I'm trying to learn if Marantz does on this model.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
87,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
Bought the SR6014 this past weekend. Other than it running a little on the warm side, I love it.

I've been wanting to add surround speakers to my setup - I haven't done it due to wiring challenges in the room. I run KEF LS50s w/subs on the front.

Is there a way with the SR6014 to hook into wireless speakers for surround? I know Sony supported it a little and I'm trying to learn if Marantz does on this model.

Thanks
Not using on board features, no. Not possible on any Denon/Marantz AVR except the HEOS AVR and Soundbar which allow you to use HEOS speakers as the Surround L/R speakers.

Your only option for wireless is to purchase a 3rd party wireless kit of which there really are few available. Just make sure you can return it if it doesn't meet your satisfaction.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi guys,

I hope everyone is still safe and sound. I've been trying for weeks to get my audio right on the SR 5014. The situation is as follows:

I have a Marantz SR 5014 hooked to my LG Oled C9 65" via eARC with an HDMI 2.1 cable (and eARC switched on in the LG menu) and I have a PS 4 and Xiaomi Mi Box S directly hooked to the TV with HDMI 2.1 cables (I believe it says 8K on the cable itself).
Furthermore I have a 5.1 setup, which includes two Dali Oberon 7 speakers, a Dali center speaker, a Yamaha subwoofer and two Cambridge audio Minx Min 22 surround speakers.

I bought the C9 only last week, because many of my ripped Blu rays only support DTS codecs (e.g. DTS-HD Master Audio Engels 2398 kbps 5,1 / 48 kHz / 2398 kbps / 16-bit) and the CX (2020) has no significant improvements and is even a downgrade for me because it does not support DTS anymore:confused:.

So I tried playing a 4K movie from an external HDD directly hooked to my C9 first, which plays perfectly fine, but I am having trouble with the audio. Now I know the movie includes a DTS-HD Master Audio Engels 2398 kbps 5,1 / 48 kHz / 2398 kbps / 16-bit track, but all I can select is DTS:X, DTS Virtual:X, stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital.

When I used the C9's internal Netflix app, I only see Dolby Digital when playing via the Marantz SR 5014 and when I use the C9's internal speakers it automatically selects Dolby Atmos.

When I use the Xiaomi Mi Box S and PS 4, I see as well only the same options as with the HDD hooked directly to the C9. I know the PS 4 should support DTS-HD but I am not really sure about the Mi Box S (in combination with Kodi).

My thoughts were that DTS-HD is better and I saved a lot of money to finally buy the hardware to play DTS-HD. Does anyone what and if I am doing something wrong? I can't wait to play DTS-HD :rolleyes:

Sincerely appreciate any help and input!

Cheers,

Jan

·
Premium Member
87,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Hi guys,

I hope everyone is still safe and sound. I've been trying for weeks to get my audio right on the SR 5014. The situation is as follows:

I have a Marantz SR 5014 hooked to my LG Oled C9 65" via eARC with an HDMI 2.1 cable (and eARC switched on in the LG menu) and I have a PS 4 and Xiaomi Mi Box S directly hooked to the TV with HDMI 2.1 cables (I believe it says 8K on the cable itself).
Furthermore I have a 5.1 setup, which includes two Dali Oberon 7 speakers, a Dali center speaker, a Yamaha subwoofer and two Cambridge audio Minx Min 22 surround speakers.

I bought the C9 only last week, because many of my ripped Blu rays only support DTS codecs (e.g. DTS-HD Master Audio Engels 2398 kbps 5,1 / 48 kHz / 2398 kbps / 16-bit) and the CX (2020) has no significant improvements and is even a downgrade for me because it does not support DTS anymore:confused:.

So I tried playing a 4K movie from an external HDD directly hooked to my C9 first, which plays perfectly fine, but I am having trouble with the audio. Now I know the movie includes a DTS-HD Master Audio Engels 2398 kbps 5,1 / 48 kHz / 2398 kbps / 16-bit track, but all I can select is DTS:X, DTS Virtual:X, stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital.

When I used the C9's internal Netflix app, I only see Dolby Digital when playing via the Marantz SR 5014 and when I use the C9's internal speakers it automatically selects Dolby Atmos.

When I use the Xiaomi Mi Box S and PS 4, I see as well only the same options as with the HDD hooked directly to the C9. I know the PS 4 should support DTS-HD but I am not really sure about the Mi Box S (in combination with Kodi).

My thoughts were that DTS-HD is better and I saved a lot of money to finally buy the hardware to play DTS-HD. Does anyone what and if I am doing something wrong? I can't wait to play DTS-HD :rolleyes:

Sincerely appreciate any help and input!

Cheers,

Jan
https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/dtsx-what-it-how-can-you-get-it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Muchas Gracias JDsmoothie, learned again and greatly appreciated.

Now I actually checked what options I have to select from: virtual, stereo, DD surr, DTS Neural X, DTS Virtual X, Multi Ch stereo.

Why is that you cannot select DTS-HD then? What option would you choose? No matter what audio codec my movie has, I can only choose this..

I have selected in the AMP assign Zone 2, is that ok (because it says Setting to assign the unit’s built-in power amplifier for ZONE2 and output the audio in stereo)? I chose this as it matches my 5.1 setup in the picture.. I have Front speakers but no Bi-amp so I would assume not to choose this option and the rest is all for more than 5.1.

Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
87,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
Muchas Gracias JDsmoothie, learned again and greatly appreciated.

Now I actually checked what options I have to select from: virtual, stereo, DD surr, DTS Neural X, DTS Virtual X, Multi Ch stereo.

Why is that you cannot select DTS-HD then? What option would you choose? No matter what audio codec my movie has, I can only choose this..

I have selected in the AMP assign Zone 2, is that ok (because it says Setting to assign the unit’s built-in power amplifier for ZONE2 and output the audio in stereo)? I chose this as it matches my 5.1 setup in the picture.. I have Front speakers but no Bi-amp so I would assume not to choose this option and the rest is all for more than 5.1.

Cheers :)
The Surround modes available will depend on the source audio being received. Select the surround mode that sounds best to you.

If you only have a 5.1 setup, it doesn't matter what AMP ASSIGN you select as they all do at least 5.1.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have an SR6014. Is the remote supposed to be backlit? The buttons look like they should be lit, but my remote doesn't light up. The main button at the top left will flick on a split second when some buttons are pushed.

Is my remote broken or do I have to find a new remote that has backlighting so I can use it in the dark room?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Unfortunately, the remote is NOT back lit, which is a huge omission on the part of Marantz at this price point. HUGE. It's also the worst functioning remote I've ever used as well. Very line of sight, multiple button pushes sometimes as well. Junk.

I ended up getting a cheap Harmony remote because of this and sent the receipt for it to Marantz for reimbursement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Surround modes available will depend on the source audio being received. Select the surround mode that sounds best to you.

If you only have a 5.1 setup, it doesn't matter what AMP ASSIGN you select as they all do at least 5.1.
Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Now I am still second-guessing myself whether to add two height speakers for Atmos or whether I would just stick to my 5.1 :eek:

·
Premium Member
87,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Now I am still second-guessing myself whether to add two height speakers for Atmos or whether I would just stick to my 5.1 :eek:
If you have the ability to add 2 overhead speakers (whether in-ceiling, on front wall, or Dolby Enabled upward firing placed on top of the Front L/R speakers), doing so should provide an improvement in your listening enjoyment. When installing only 2 in-ceiling speakers, they should ideally be placed directly above and about 2' forward of the seating.

·
Premium Member
87,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
I have an SR6014. Is the remote supposed to be backlit? The buttons look like they should be lit, but my remote doesn't light up. The main button at the top left will flick on a split second when some buttons are pushed.

Is my remote broken or do I have to find a new remote that has backlighting so I can use it in the dark room?
The SR7013 is the lowest model that features a back lit remote. As suggested, consider purchasing a Harmony remote.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys,

Just got a NR1710 today - is there a way to program the receiver remote so it can turn my Vizio TV on/off? That way I dont need my vizio remote at all, everything would run via the receiver remote.

·
Premium Member
87,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
Hey guys,

Just got a NR1710 today - is there a way to program the receiver remote so it can turn my Vizio TV on/off? That way I dont need my vizio remote at all, everything would run via the receiver remote.
Unfortunately no, rather this feature only exists on the SR7000 series remote controls. Consider instead purchasing a Harmony 650 remote to control all of your devices.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone has an idea about why my surround speakers serve an amazing sound when I game? My TV passes through DTS when playing video games but my surround speakers are overwhelming and my FL - C - FR are seriously underwhelming. There is literally very muffled sound when I shoot myself with FPS but gunfire which comes from the back is seriously overwhelming... All other sounds as well (e.g. the Mortal Kombat 11 menu very soft and voices come from my surround speakers).

I checked the levels of the speakers and I changed them to -1.5 for surround and around +2 - +3 for both front speakers and center speaker. Should I + these more? I would have expected to achieve different results after having done the Audyssey test.

Or should I post additional settings? I think it might be some option which I have toggled on, but I can't seem to figure which one :confused:

Cheers and have a nice evening,

Jan

·
Premium Member
87,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
Anyone has an idea about why my surround speakers serve an amazing sound when I game? My TV passes through DTS when playing video games but my surround speakers are overwhelming and my FL - C - FR are seriously underwhelming. There is literally very muffled sound when I shoot myself with FPS but gunfire which comes from the back is seriously overwhelming... All other sounds as well (e.g. the Mortal Kombat 11 menu very soft and voices come from my surround speakers).

I checked the levels of the speakers and I changed them to -1.5 for surround and around +2 - +3 for both front speakers and center speaker. Should I + these more? I would have expected to achieve different results after having done the Audyssey test.

Or should I post additional settings? I think it might be some option which I have toggled on, but I can't seem to figure which one :confused:

Cheers and have a nice evening,

Jan
If you don't experience the same issue when playing DD/DTS movies, then most likely it's simply the way the game audio is mixed.

Perhaps another gamer can chime in with their own experience.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Something odd happened today to my HT system.
My wife told me she turned on the TV, using the activity button on my Harmony Ultimate Home remote, and a screen appeared showing a flower petal...her description...and a message from Sony, 65X950G, saying I could install free apps...she wasn't quite sure what the message said as she wasn't paying attention to the TV...then it disappeared but the TV wouldn't go to the cable TV as it should, instead the TV screen was a field of purple triangles...darn it I didn't take a pic of it, was too busy trying to get the system working again.

I used the "help" button on the remote to go through the activity start sequences and everything was in order but no picture.
I used the TV remote to go to the "Home" screen and it popped up allowing me to access the apps...netflix, etc... which all worked as they should, but when I clicked on the TV icon it went back to the purple triangles...oh boy!

I tried the other activities...Zidoo, Roku, Disk player...and the same purple triangles...
I was less worried as the TV worked but there was no signal for the other devices to the TV...all my devices are connected to my avr...Marantz SR5014...so I figured I could solve the problem.

I unplugged/plugged in the TV and no change.
I did the same to the avr and voila all is well and works like nothing ever happened, I checked all my activities and they all work as they always have...whew! but still, what the hell happened?

I checked the devices and there were no updates.
Anyone encounter anything like this?
We spent the evening watching TV via Roku/Acorn TV app and everything works great.
Odd and a bit scary...

·
Premium Member
87,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
Something odd happened today to my HT system.
My wife told me she turned on the TV, using the activity button on my Harmony Ultimate Home remote, and a screen appeared showing a flower petal...her description...and a message from Sony, 65X950G, saying I could install free apps...she wasn't quite sure what the message said as she wasn't paying attention to the TV...then it disappeared but the TV wouldn't go to the cable TV as it should, instead the TV screen was a field of purple triangles...darn it I didn't take a pic of it, was too busy trying to get the system working again.

I used the "help" button on the remote to go through the activity start sequences and everything was in order but no picture.
I used the TV remote to go to the "Home" screen and it popped up allowing me to access the apps...netflix, etc... which all worked as they should, but when I clicked on the TV icon it went back to the purple triangles...oh boy!

I tried the other activities...Zidoo, Roku, Disk player...and the same purple triangles...
I was less worried as the TV worked but there was no signal for the other devices to the TV...all my devices are connected to my avr...Marantz SR5014...so I figured I could solve the problem.

I unplugged/plugged in the TV and no change.
I did the same to the avr and voila all is well and works like nothing ever happened, I checked all my activities and they all work as they always have...whew! but still, what the hell happened?

I checked the devices and there were no updates.
Anyone encounter anything like this?
We spent the evening watching TV via Roku/Acorn TV app and everything works great.
Odd and a bit scary...
Sounds more like a TV issue than an AVR issue.

However, to mitigate HDMI handshake issues, your Harmony should be programmed for the following power on sequence: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sounds more like a TV issue than an AVR issue.

However, to mitigate HDMI handshake issues, your Harmony should be programmed for the following power on sequence: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source.
I'll try the sequence you suggest.
I did find the message from Sony...it said 'to get free bonus apps register your TV, etc.'...It was under notifications and I overlooked it the first time. I think I'll pass.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In a 7.1.4 setup, can the SR6014 power Surround Back and all four Height if an external 5 channel amp is used for Front, Centre and Surround?

Something tells me that as soon as it’s asked to power Surround Back it can only power 2x Height. Really hoping this isn’t the case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you don't experience the same issue when playing DD/DTS movies, then most likely it's simply the way the game audio is mixed.

Perhaps another gamer can chime in with their own experience.
I think I knew what triggered it:

I have my PS4>TV (LG C9)>Marantz SR 5014 via eARC and I had it set to PCM. When I switched to DTS, front speakers and center speaker sounded more muffled and the surround L+R were much more present. I could choose more options when I pressed the green button (movies), but none of them sounded as present/hard as when I chose PCM.

After extensive Google searching, it seems the consensus is that Linear PCM is best for HDMI/5.1/7.1 sound for "lossless" audio, but why is it that Bitstream (Dolby) sounds "best" to me – and I mean "best" because in most games, using that setting has a more "real" surround sound effect. Like, things that are behind me in games actually make accurately placed sounds in my rear surround speakers... BUT when I use Linear PCM (or even Bitstream DTS), I don't hear things that are behind me in games in my rear speakers. I hear SOME audio (music, and sometimes ambient sounds) in my rear speakers, so I know they're working. Is Bitstream Dolby doing some sort of post-processing "simulation" to place sounds through my speakers, and is Linear PCM playing the purest form of audio, the way the games are supposed to be playing their respective sound?

481 - 500 of 593 Posts