AVS Forum banner

4661 - 4680 of 6069 Posts

·
Registered
29,286 Posts
Would this be similar to Dolby Pro Logic II?
Same type of technology (upmixing), but slightly different approach.
Does anyone know what the channel limits are on the "Dolby Surround" mode?
Can be applied to 2-channel or 5.1-channel or 7.1-channel sources. Will upmix those sources to a maximum of 29 outputs (up to 19 speakers in the base layer and up to 10 speakers in the height layer). Your 7.1.4 set-up is well within those limits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am having a problem that I hope someone can suggest how to diagnose..

I just installed a Denon AVR-X2700H about 3 weeks ago. It replaced an old Denon from about 20 years ago! I have a 4K LG TV, and I use Apple TV 4K for 1 HDMI in, and a Blu Ray DVD for a second HDMI in. Everything has been working fine, except that maybe half the time when I power on the equipment thru a Panamax), if I left the system connected to the Apple TV 4K, there is no signal. I have learned all I have to do is use my universal remote to switch to the DVD player, then switch back, and all is fine. So it's losing its connection to the Apple TV 4K device for some reason.

Some other facts that may be helpful:
1) Nothing else is new - Panamax, Blu Ray, Apple TV 4K, TV were all in place with the old Denon, and I never had this issue;
2) I unplugged/replugged in the HDMI cables, and also twice made sure all cables were seated securely;
3) The Apple TV does some testing of the connection thru Settings - "Checking HDMI Connection" reports that all fine, and it sets the format to 4K HDR 60Hz. (With the old Denon it was on a 1080 setting);
4) The Apple TV 4K device is always on - Denon, Blu Ray, and TV are powered off by the Panamax;
5) I did some color calibration through the TV settings, that's all the 'tweaking' I have done that I can recall.

I really don't have any idea how to go about debugging this problem, I used the Denon setup which was very good, and I am not sure I ever strayed from the setup recommendations. Does anyone have any ideas of things to check, settings you would like to hear about, etc., that might be causing these disconnects? Or is this possibly some difference with the X2700H vs. an old Denon, that if the X2700H is powered off, it will disconnect the HDMI in until something happens that I am triggering thru my remote?

Thank you for at least reading this, and in advance if you have any suggestions!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a couple of questions about the "Dolby Surround" mode of the 3700. Page 136 of the manual says "This mode uses Dolby Surround Upmixer to extend various sources to natural and realistic multi channels for playback. Use ceiling speakers such as top middle speakers to realize a three-dimensional sound field."

#1) Would this be similar to Dolby Pro Logic II? On my Onkyo TX-NR708 this mode will "expand any 2-channel source for 7.1-channel playback." From the above description, it sounds like Denon's "Dolby Surround" mode is the same thing. Just not branded Dolby Pro Logic II?

#2) Does anyone know what the channel limits are on the "Dolby Surround" mode? Per #1 above, my Onkyo's PLII mode maxes out at 7.1, and I now have a 7.1.4 system, so I was curious if using "Dolby Surround" to play a 5.1 track (as an example) would upmix this to use all 7.1.4 channels? If I'm using a separate amp to power the additional 2 channels, of course.

Thanks for any insight anybody can offer. Let me know if I'm being unclear about anything.

Oh, one more thing: I tried to figure out how to search the thread for this question... either I'm a moron or this feature isn't available. In case of the former, could someone enlighten me how to search a thread? Thanks.
1) More or less. Dolby updated their upmixing technology and rebranded the whole thing to "Dolby Surround". I believe they felt all the ludicrous names were confusing (PLII, PLIIx, PLIIz, etc.). So they renamed it, while also completely revamping it.

2) Sanjay already answered this pretty well. DSur is pretty much their "future proof" upmixer.

3) Simply start typing in the search bar that says "Search Community". Then you can click "search this discussion":

Reactions: Astrakan

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am having a problem that I hope someone can suggest how to diagnose..

I just installed a Denon AVR-X2700H about 3 weeks ago. It replaced an old Denon from about 20 years ago! I have a 4K LG TV, and I use Apple TV 4K for 1 HDMI in, and a Blu Ray DVD for a second HDMI in. Everything has been working fine, except that maybe half the time when I power on the equipment thru a Panamax), if I left the system connected to the Apple TV 4K, there is no signal. I have learned all I have to do is use my universal remote to switch to the DVD player, then switch back, and all is fine. So it's losing its connection to the Apple TV 4K device for some reason.

Some other facts that may be helpful:
1) Nothing else is new - Panamax, Blu Ray, Apple TV 4K, TV were all in place with the old Denon, and I never had this issue;
2) I unplugged/replugged in the HDMI cables, and also twice made sure all cables were seated securely;
3) The Apple TV does some testing of the connection thru Settings - "Checking HDMI Connection" reports that all fine, and it sets the format to 4K HDR 60Hz. (With the old Denon it was on a 1080 setting);
4) The Apple TV 4K device is always on - Denon, Blu Ray, and TV are powered off by the Panamax;
5) I did some color calibration through the TV settings, that's all the 'tweaking' I have done that I can recall.

I really don't have any idea how to go about debugging this problem, I used the Denon setup which was very good, and I am not sure I ever strayed from the setup recommendations. Does anyone have any ideas of things to check, settings you would like to hear about, etc., that might be causing these disconnects? Or is this possibly some difference with the X2700H vs. an old Denon, that if the X2700H is powered off, it will disconnect the HDMI in until something happens that I am triggering thru my remote?

Thank you for at least reading this, and in advance if you have any suggestions!
In general it sounds like typical HDMI handshake issues, especially since you never turn the Apple TV off/put it in standby (unless it automatically does this due to some power saving settings you have).

On top of this, I'd say about a third of recent HDMI handshake complaints I've seen in this thread are from people with Apple TV's, so there's something they do that the Denon isn't expecting/doesn't like. I believe I recall reading that it plays weird with CEC and doesn't tend to stop trying to send data when switched away from.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same type of technology (upmixing), but slightly different approach...
1) More or less...
Thank you both. This is very helpful and exactly what I wanted to hear. :)

3) Simply start typing in the search bar...
I did check out that bar and also the Advanced Search, I just didn't start typing anything. I don't feel that moronic for missing that, as I don't find it a particularly obvious way to access that feature.* Easy-to-use once you know it's there though, so that's nice.

Thanks again.

* Then again, that's probably how all morons feel... :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
In general it sounds like typical HDMI handshake issues, especially since you never turn the Apple TV off/put it in standby (unless it automatically does this due to some power saving settings you have).

On top of this, I'd say about a third of recent HDMI handshake complaints I've seen in this thread are from people with Apple TV's, so there's something they do that the Denon isn't expecting/doesn't like. I believe I recall reading that it plays weird with CEC and doesn't tend to stop trying to send data when switched away from.
Thank you @wrathek for your reply! I just had it happen again, so as a test all I did was unplug the HDMI cable at the Apple TV device, and plug it back in - connection established! I did just change the settings to put it to sleep after 15 minutes, I had it on all the time for no reason. Do you think that will fix it? Or if not should I plug it in else where on the Panamax so it powers off? I think I left it on as it takes a little time to power up, I may be wrong about that.

·
Premium Member
89,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,668
4700/projector users and/or JD, School me on which HDMI out port is my best choice and why. 4K projector with HDMI to support 4K/18gbps...obviously no need for ARC/eARC so should I use the 8K port anyway? It would be nice to just turn on the PJ and have the 4700 turn-on also....or is it the other way around where I would turn on the 4700 and have the PJ turn on when the 4700 is turned on? What's the best way to make that happen? Thanks for helping me understand my best option.
You'll likely want to use the Monitor 1 HDMI output; however, both main zone outputs are 8k.

If HDMI Control on the AVR is enabled, then it should power on when the PJ powers on.

·
Registered
POLK LSI SPEAKERS
490 Posts
When we get the DTSX pro update will the virtual x up mix to 13 channels as well
Especially TM and CH?

Regards
h

·
Premium Member
89,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,670
When we get the DTSX pro update will the virtual x up mix to 13 channels as well
Especially TM and CH?

Regards
h
You likely mean DTS Neural:X, as DTS Virtual:X, like the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer, is only designed for use when overhead speakers are NOT configured.

DTS Neural:X should be able to simulate up to 13 speakers after the DTS:X Pro firmware update to the X6700H and X8500H.

·
Registered
71 Posts
X3700 arrived today but I can't get audio from the TVs (TCL R635) apps (Netflix for instance) over eARC. The TVs CEC shows X3700h under found devices.

AVR video settings:
Pass through source - STB Refsw Design
HDMI control - on (ARC default to on with this setting)
TV audio switching - on
Power control - all

TV settings:
TV inputs --> AV receiver (default was HDMI 4 eARC but I changed it) --> HDMI mode --> Auto (I've tried HDMI 1.4, 2.0, and auto)
Audio --> S/PDIF and eARC --> tried all settings with no difference
CEC --> eARC (HDMI4 checked, 1-touch play checked, and system standby checked. AVR-X3700H* displayed on HDMI 4 in found devices

AVR and TV are connected via this HDMI cable. AVR is in the basement and TV is one floor above it so I don't have another cable to swap for a test.

Edit: grabbed a new HDMI cable and it is working fine (guess there are some differences between $25 cables and $200 cables; can't believe how expensive these damn things are).

·
Registered
76 Posts
This thread is for discussion of the 2020 Denon AVRs: S960H/X2700H/X3700H/X4700H/X6700H

* NOTE: The 2019 S650H, S750H, and X1600H will not be replaced and will continue through 2020 and therefore will continue being discussed in the 2019 Denon AVR Owner's thread. The X6700H will have a 3 year life cycle so will continue to be discussed in this thread until it is replaced in 2023.

Sound United (parent company of Denon and Marantz) has released information on the new 2020 Denon "X" models with the new "S960H" model information soon to follow.

What's new or to be added via firmware update for the 2020 models?

- Features added to the 2019 models continue (and now also added to the X4700H/X6700H as the 2018 X4500H/X6500H were not replaced in 2019)
----- HDCP 2.3 all HDMI inputs/outputs
----- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization (factory default is ON, so with a 7.1 or less setup, this feature is enabled; works with DD/DTS/PCM w/no Audyssey limitation)
----- Main Zone HDMI/TV Audio distribution (multi channel) down mixed to 2CH for Zone 2/HEOS speakers - press the [Zone 2 Source] button on the front panel and select "Source" instead of the actual source name (formerly only on 2019 X3600H)
----- USB input supports both FAT32 and NTFS
----- ALL ZONE STEREO setting added to Quick Select buttons
----- Bluetooth transmission to single set of headphones/hearing aids (with "Bluetooth only" or "Bluetooth + speakers" settings) - volume adjustment via headphone/hear aids only
----- HDMI Custom Input Assign (able to assign a single HDMI input jack to multiple source names to enable saving separate audio input assignments for each, ie. HDMI, digital, analog))
----- HDMI Input Auto Rename (AVR will automatically change the input name if recognized, eg. if using PS4, the name would change to PS4)
----- Airplay disable (ON/OFF) - so AVR is not seen as an Airplay device (eg. if kids in the house that might accidently select it as a source)
----- Roon tested (via Airplay or USB)
----- Able to "overlay" the volume bar, INFO and OPTION menus on all 4k (and now 8k as well for 2020 models) video with Setup menu displayed on black background - note that must be enabled for the "overlay" to occur; however, it can be disabled.

• A single HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.3/8k/40Gbps input (8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz pass-through) with all remaining HDMI inputs 4k/HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.3 - [Note that the 40Gbps number is more likely to be the number the industry adopts at large vs the 48Gbps initial target. The 2020 LG OLED X series just released with 40Gbps ports.]
  • Both main zone HDMI monitor outputs are also 8k/HDCP 2.3 while the Zone 2 monitor output (X3700H/X4700H/X6700H) remains 4k/HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.3
  • AUX 2 button on remote relabeled to 8k
  • AUX 1 button on remote relabeled to AUX
  • Pre-amp mode (formerly only featured on the flagship models) - physically disconnects all on board amps when only external amps are being used (X3700H and higher)
  • Speaker Preset (1/2) - Store two sets of speaker settings (including separate Audyssey EQ for each ie. no longer need to use USB or MultEQ Editor app for this); also added to Quick Select buttons
  • Gaming enhancements - all HDMI inputs are able to pass Variable Refresh Rate (VRR); Quick Frame Transport (QFT); Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM - previously added on some older models via firmware update)
  • Video/Movie enhancements - all HDMI inputs are able to pass Dynamic HDR, HDR10+ and Quick Media Switching (QMS)
  • Height 3/Front Wide speaker support (X6700H only)
  • Auro 3D Center Height (CH) with Auro 3D 13.1 support (X6700H only)
  • Able to use DTS Neural:X on all audio
  • HDCP Setup - sets the HDCP version (Auto/1.4/2.3) for an HDMI input source
  • ECO Mode defaults to "Auto"
  • Volume Limit - variable from 60-80 / -20dB to 0dB (vs. fixed 60/70/80 - -20dB/-10dB/0dB on older models)
  • Bass Sync can be enabled in DIRECT/PURE DIRECT modes with a multi channel audio source (X4700H/X6700H)
  • Video - Information menu displays whether ALLM / QMS / QFT enabled on input signal
  • All models use the same AK4458VN DAC.
  • Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) - able to up mix to a single Surround Back speaker (ie. 6.1 setup) and Front Wide speakers (X6700H only) when the "Speaker Virtualizer" is OFF

• Added via future firmware update:
  • Screen saver - moving DENON icon (after no video input or same menu displayed for more than 5 minutes - Default = OFF); also moving MUTE icon (December 2020)
  • DTS:X Pro - support for up to 7.2.6 (with ability to select either Top Middle or Top Surround+Center Height) or 9.2.4 (ie. Front Wide) - X6700H only (December 2020)
What features weren't carried forward from the 2018 (X4500H/X6500H) and 2019 (S950H/X2600H/X3600H) models?
  • Front HDMI input removed (S960H/X2700H/X3700H only)
  • Denon Link HD jack removed (X4700H/X6700H) - used with a Denon Link HD compatible Denon Blu Ray player
  • Analog ---> HDMI conversion no longer supported (X3700H)
----------------------

• All "X" series models have a 3 year warranty if purchased new/open-box from an authorized dealer
  • All "S" series models have a 2 year warranty if purchased new/open-box from an authorized dealer
  • All refurbished models have a 1 year warranty if purchased from an authorized refurb dealer
** Until the on line manual links become available, the manuals can be downloaded at ---> manuals-and-downloads

- S960H - MSRP ($649), 7.2CH, 90W, HDMI In/Out (7/2, main/main outputs) - avail mid-July
All HDMI inputs (except single HDMI 2.1/8k/HDCP 2.3) are 4k/HDCP 2.3 capable, HDMI 1080p/4k to 8k upscaling, 32 bit AK4458VN DAC (as well as on all higher level models up to the X6700H), Audyssey MultEQ (6 mic positions), networking, DSD via USB/network source, speaker posts, and an on board Denon HEOS module (allows streaming of HEOS app music services to the AVR as well as streaming PCM 2.0 source from the AVR to HEOS wireless speakers set up around the home). Firmware updates are installed via a network connection or USB. There are no main zone pre-outs nor Zone 2 pre-outs, PHONO input, Dolby Vision + HLG + ALLM, Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.2. It features 5.1 + Zone 2 capability using the Surround Back speaker posts for Zone 2. DTS Virtual:X (simulates height audio when using a 5.1 configuration but Audyssey is disabled). Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer (Audyssey is not disabled). Able to display volume bar, INFO and OPTION menus on all 4k/8k video with Setup screen taking up whole display on black background. No analog --> HDMI conversion, 2 year warranty, able to use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app ($20, iOS/Android) which can be used to edit the Audyssey EQ curve as well as save copies to allow for testing various changes you might want to make. Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Siri and Josh.ai. Note there is no front HDMI input.

- X2700H - MSRP ($849), 7.2CH, 95W, HDMI In/Out (7/2, main/main outputs) - avail mid-August
Upgrading from the S960H adds Audyssey MultEQ XT (8 mic positions), Zone 2 pre-outs, PHONO input, No analog --> HDMI conversion (ie. X4700H is the lowest model with this feature), a removable power cord, RS-232, Crestron/Control 4 interface, ISF (Day/Night) calibration settings (to be set by an ISF calibrator), 3 year warranty, able to use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app. Includes “ihiji Invision” and Domotz Pro remote system management technology. Note there is no front HDMI input.

- X3700H - MSRP ($1199), 9.2CH (expandable to 11CH [7.2.4] w/2CH amp), 105W, HDMI In/Out (7/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) - avail late June/early July
Upgrading from the X2700H adds: one additional HDMI input, Zone 2 custom settings (bass, treble, HPF, stereo/mono), 12v trigger (1), DSD over HDMI, Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output, HDMI/digital PCM 2.0 audio to Zone 2 speaker posts/pre-outs/HEOS speakers, and the lowest model with at least 7.2 main zone pre-outs, 2 internal fans. No noticeable difference in power, but much better audio quality using the much more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT (when using 2 subs; independent sub level/delay). The Audyssey Low Frequency Containment (LFC) feature which helps to reduce the impact of lower frequency waves passing through walls (great when watching at night with others asleep nearby or if living in an apartment with thin walls). Additional DSP added that now allows for Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (but not Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, LFC) to be enabled with DTS Virtual:X as well as using Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume with IMAX Enhanced DTS:X. AMP ASSIGN = Pre-Amp (when using all external amps). Note there is no front HDMI input.

- X4700H - MSRP ($1699), 9.2CH (expandable to 11CH [7.2.4] w/2CH amp), 125W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) avail mid-June
Upgrading from the X3700H adds: front HDMI input, analog --> HDMI conversion, Zone 3 (same independent inputs as Zone 2 except not HDMI), a 2nd 12v trigger, front panel display of speaker inputs (or outputs), metal front panel with 2 line display, Custom 2 CH main zone settings (using FL/FR or dedicated Front B; LARGE/SMALL; crossover settings, sub – on/off, distance, level), Auro 3D 10.1/Auromatic, AL32 Processing, Bass Sync, same software used on the X8500H for improved audio quality also used on X4700H/X6700H; Remote Control able to store preset codes from other mfr devices (see below) and the ability to add Auro 3D Voice of God/Top Surround via the Subwoofer pre-out 2 only. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (but not Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, LFC) to be enabled with DTS Virtual:X as well as using Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume with IMAX Enhanced DTS:X - these features exist on the X4500H/X6700H and continue with the X4700H/X6700H. Sound quality has been improved (over the X3700H) using the same software technique used with the X8500H.

Remote Control Preset Codes: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4700H/preset/AVRX4700HPresetCodes.pdf

- X6700H - MSRP ($2499), 11.2CH (expandable to 13CH [7.2.6 or 9.2.4] w/2CH amp) , 140W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) avail mid-June
Upgrading from the X4700H adds: 2 additional on board amps (w/capability to expand to 7.2.6 or 9.2.4 (after DTS:X Pro firmware update) with external 2CH amp; the additional 2 height speakers can be either Top Middle or Top Surround+Center Height), Front Wide speaker support via Height 3 speaker posts, more robust amps, mfr'd in Japan, gold plated connectors, Dialog Enhancer (focuses on boosting human vocal frequencies), 5.1 CH full bi-amp -FL/FR/C/SL/SR, and Auro 3D 13.1 to include Center Height, DTS:X Pro (firmware update December 2020)

Remote Control Preset Codes: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX6700H/preset/AVRX6700HPresetCodes.pdf

---------------------------------

Welcome to the Official 2020 Denon AVR models thread

If this is your first visit to this thread, and you want to ask a question about one of the 2020 Denon AVR models, either one that you own or one that you are thinking of buying, please provide the following information to allow for better responses to your questions:

(a) Identify the model number in question (eg. X3700H), as there are 5 different models discussed in this thread. Also if you have not posted in several days since your initial post, please post the model number again so we don't have to back track to learn which model you are referencing.

(b) Identify what you've done so far to troubleshoot the issue and what the front panel is displaying if an audio issue, (also take a few minutes to review the Troubleshooting section provided in post 3 as your question may already be answered there,

(c) Unless you indicate what settings have been changed, the assumption will be that all settings are on the factory defaults (ie. usually "Auto"),

(d) If the advice given seems to simplistic or obvious, don't shoot the advice giver as we have no idea of the level of your technical understanding,

(e) If there is no response to your post, it either means no one knows the answer or it has simply been overlooked so please repost if you still have not resolved your issue,

(f) If you post a question in this thread and are given advice and either it or some other advice (eg. Denon phone support, Denon "Ask a Question" email support) resolves your issue, have the common courtesy to post back what solution resolved your issue so others can learn from it as well,

(g) If the issue is not user error or not just a misunderstanding on how the AVR works, please call Denon support so the issue is registered,

(h) When responding to another post that is providing assistance to you, please press the "Quote" button in the lower right corner of that other poster's response so that response is also listed with your new post to provide some context, and,

(i) If you don't live in either the USA or Canada, please either indicate your country location in your profile or your post as some Denon models from other regions in the world differ in configuration from their USA/Canada counterparts otherwise responses made in this thread are in regards to the USA/Canada models only.
Hi, If someone is trying to drive 17 speakers in 5 Zones Would it not be better to buy a X4700H and a X3700H and have them dance together? What might be the pro's and con's of this as bother AVRS offer full operability and Alex access. Is there indeed a way to me this function as if you had a X6700H with 17 Channels??? Thank you

·
Premium Member
89,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,673
Hi, If someone is trying to drive 17 speakers in 5 Zones Would it not be better to buy a X4700H and a X3700H and have them dance together? What might be the pro's and con's of this as bother AVRS offer full operability and Alex access. Is there indeed a way to me this function as if you had a X6700H with 17 Channels??? Thank you
Depends on how the speakers in each zone are arranged (ie. stereo or mono or 5.1 surround) and whether you want independent audio sources to each zone or the same audio. The X4700H can pass independent audio to 3 zones. With the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output of the X4700H connected to the X3700H (noting only HDMI sources pass over the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output), you could add 2 more additional independent zones.

Additionally, if HEOS (or their successor Denon HOME) wireless speakers are used, you can add up to 32 additional zones able to pass up to 8 different sources as well as group up to 16 speakers together for whole house audio.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Jd,
5.1.2 Only Area With Video

17 Speakers, 5 Zones all hard wired. Have two Echo 3 and One DOT for voice commands. :)

My thought was X4700H and X3700H strung together.

Tought of making it X6700H with a Denon Drive but way out of my budget.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread. There is only (1) 8k/4k120Hz HDMI input, however, post #7 lists what will pass via all of the HDMI inputs.
Thank you for the answer - I do wish Denon would of had 3 hdmi 2.1 inputs with 2 outputs - I have a bit to learn about the new features but am guessing these models will stay the same for the next year or two. I'm planning on the following sources for video/audio - new generation 4k game system (ps5 or xbox), NVidia shield, and possibly another 4k or better source.

·
Vendor
27,921 Posts
Thank you for the answer - I do wish Denon would of had 3 hdmi 2.1 inputs with 2 outputs - I have a bit to learn about the new features but am guessing these models will stay the same for the next year or two. I'm planning on the following sources for video/audio - new generation 4k game system (ps5 or xbox), NVidia shield, and possibly another 4k or better source.
Your not the only one who wished that.....

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
From AudioScienceReview.com - Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

"With the AVR-X4700 (and all of 2020 series Denon AVRs) you can only turn off the amp for the front channels, or all the channels."

Front channels? Is this correct?
He doesn't know what he's talking about . In an 11 channel setup you can pre out(externally power) either the fronts or height 2 channels as well as the newest pre amp mode for an all external amp setup. Those are the 3 amp disconnect scenarios.

Reactions: Bejoy

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
X3700 arrived today but I can't get audio from the TVs (TCL R635) apps (Netflix for instance) over eARC. The TVs CEC shows X3700h under found devices.

AVR video settings:
Pass through source - STB Refsw Design
HDMI control - on (ARC default to on with this setting)
TV audio switching - on
Power control - all

TV settings:
TV inputs --> AV receiver (default was HDMI 4 eARC but I changed it) --> HDMI mode --> Auto (I've tried HDMI 1.4, 2.0, and auto)
Audio --> S/PDIF and eARC --> tried all settings with no difference
CEC --> eARC (HDMI4 checked, 1-touch play checked, and system standby checked. AVR-X3700H* displayed on HDMI 4 in found devices

AVR and TV are connected via this HDMI cable. AVR is in the basement and TV is one floor above it so I don't have another cable to swap for a test.
Can you get ARC to work instead? Turn off HDMI control and ARC in the receiver and see if eARC works then. If ARC works but eARC won't you might have something wrong with the cables ethernet strand as that is the dedicated eARC path.

·
Premium Member
89,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,679
Hi Jd,
5.1.2 Only Area With Video

17 Speakers, 5 Zones all hard wired. Have two Echo 3 and One DOT for voice commands. :)

My thought was X4700H and X3700H strung together.

Tought of making it X6700H with a Denon Drive but way out of my budget.

Thank you :)
You don't mention whether you want the same audio passed to some zones (in which case you could simply use a 4 Zone impedance matching speaker selector connected to a 2CH amp connected to either model's Zone 2 pre-outs) or independent audio to each zone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can you get ARC to work instead? Turn off HDMI control and ARC in the receiver and see if eARC works then. If ARC works but eARC won't you might have something wrong with the cables ethernet strand as that is the dedicated eARC path.
When I do that, audio from the cable box (input 1 on the AVR) continues to play through the AVR when I select an app on the TV. I don't see an option in the AVR setup to look for audio on the TV output.

4661 - 4680 of 6069 Posts