AVS Forum banner

4681 - 4700 of 5047 Posts

·
Premium Member
88,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,681
When I do that, audio from the cable box (input 1 on the AVR) continues to play through the AVR when I select an app on the TV. I don't see an option in the AVR setup to look for audio on the TV output.
Simply press the "TV Audio" button on the remote.

·
Vendor
27,497 Posts
Thank you for the answer - I do wish Denon would of had 3 hdmi 2.1 inputs with 2 outputs - I have a bit to learn about the new features but am guessing these models will stay the same for the next year or two. I'm planning on the following sources for video/audio - new generation 4k game system (ps5 or xbox), NVidia shield, and possibly another 4k or better source.
Anyone seeing any HDMI 2.1 switcher out there yet?

·
Registered
683 Posts
TV settings:
TV inputs --> AV receiver (default was HDMI 4 eARC but I changed it)
Perhaps I'm more confused than others, but I believe that the eARC output is a hardware thing ... I doubt you can enable it on (change it to) a different TV port. Read the manual carefully.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Any tips on random ARC dropouts? I have an x6700h and LG C8. I never had this problem with my x4300h. I have tried swapping out hdmi cables, turning CEC on and OFF in the receiver, trying wifi or ethernet on the tv. The video never stutters or drops....just the audio, for sometimes a second, other times up to 6 seconds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You don't mention whether you want the same audio passed to some zones (in which case you could simply use a 4 Zone impedance matching speaker selector connected to a 2CH amp connected to either model's Zone 2 pre-outs) or independent audio to each zone.
Hi JD, Thanks for your expertise. Sometimes, I'll have to switch sources.

Zone 1 - 5.1.2 Video & Music - Livingroom - Want Alexa
2.0 Open Kitchen - Right next to Livingroom - Will never be on a different source
Zone 2 - 2.0 Bathroom shared with livingroom & pool has inside and outside door
Zone 3 - 4.0 Video & Music - Terrace/Pool - Might want same audio as inside for music or ball game - Want Alexa
Zone 4 - 2.0 Master Bath - Want Alexa

1. So theoretically the Kitchen and Livingroom could be the same zone - Now I'm down to four Zones
2. The 4 outdoor speakers could be a stereo pair

I will admit I'm confused, I hear people have houses with 10 zones and I can't figure out 4 that will work in a modern way. All the speaker wires are in.

JD if you know how to make this work, so all 4 zones can listen to other sources, I'd appreciate it. I'm willing to Buy a X4700 and X3700 if I have to because the X4700 lonely has 3 zones.

Thank you :) I'm a photographer at heart and visually I just can't see how to do this. That's me on the left

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Any tips on random ARC dropouts? I have an x6700h and LG C8. I never had this problem with my x4300h. I have tried swapping out hdmi cables, turning CEC on and OFF in the receiver, trying wifi or ethernet on the tv. The video never stutters or drops....just the audio, for sometimes a second, other times up to 6 seconds.
I have this as well on the 4700 and a Sammy Q70R. I hope Denon knows their eARC and HDMI 2.1 feature set need some work.

Sent from somewhere you’ve never been.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yea, I'm assuming I've done everything right on my end and a firmware update from Denon is the only solution at this point, unless someone else has an alternate solution.

·
Premium Member
88,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,689
Hi JD, Thanks for your expertise. Sometimes, I'll have to switch sources.

Zone 1 - 5.1.2 Video & Music - Livingroom - Want Alexa
2.0 Open Kitchen - Right next to Livingroom - Will never be on a different source
Zone 2 - 2.0 Bathroom shared with livingroom & pool has inside and outside door
Zone 3 - 4.0 Video & Music - Terrace/Pool - Might want same audio as inside for music or ball game - Want Alexa
Zone 4 - 2.0 Master Bath - Want Alexa

1. So theoretically the Kitchen and Livingroom could be the same zone - Now I'm down to four Zones
2. The 4 outdoor speakers could be a stereo pair

I will admit I'm confused, I hear people have houses with 10 zones and I can't figure out 4 that will work in a modern way. All the speaker wires are in.

JD if you know how to make this work, so all 4 zones can listen to other sources, I'd appreciate it. I'm willing to Buy a X4700 and X3700 if I have to because the X4700 lonely has 3 zones.

Thank you :) I'm a photographer at heart and visually I just can't see how to do this. That's me on the left
One way to configure your setup:

Denon X4700H - AMP ASSIGN = 5.1 + Zone 2/3 (able to power your Zones 2,3,4)
Denon X3700H - AMP ASSIGN = 7.1 + Zone 2 (factory default setting)

This configuration would allow independent sources to each zone with the caveat that any PCM 2.0 source (HDMI or digital or analog) can pass to Zone 2 with either model but only PCM 2.0 (digital or analog; no HDMI) to the zone that gets configured as Zone 3 from the X4700H.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you JB. :) It sound like you figured it out. :) The only thing I don't get is the way you want me to connect the 4700 to the 3700. :) Thank you, I would take your picture :) If I lived near you :)

·
Premium Member
88,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,692
Thank you JB. :) It sound like you figured it out. :) The only thing I don't get is the way you want me to connect the 4700 to the 3700. :) Thank you, I would take your picture :) If I lived near you :)
How you connect them will depend on what sources you want to pass to the other.

If the X4700H will be the primary AVR, then connect the Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output on the X4700H to an HDMI input on the X3700H noting again, that only HDMI sources connected to the X4700H will pass to the X3700H.

Also, if you should have dedicated sources connected to the X3700H (eg. cable/sat box), that you want to pass to the X4700H zones, you would connect the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output on the X3700H to an HDMI input on the X4700H.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Thought I was good for a minute but that turns the TVs speakers on. Appreciate the help so far though.
There should be a setting in the TV itself to disable its internal speakers and use external.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How you connect them will depend on what sources you want to pass to the other.

If the X4700H will be the primary AVR, then connect the Zone 2 HDMI Monitor output on the X4700H to an HDMI input on the X3700H noting again, that only HDMI sources connected to the X4700H will pass to the X3700H.

Also, if you should have dedicated sources connected to the X3700H (eg. cable/sat box), that you want to pass to the X4700H zones, you would connect the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output on the X3700H to an HDMI input on the X4700H.
Thank you JB. I wilk send a picture when I set it up!!! Thank you so much, you really know your stuff and you helped me. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi all, am I doing something wrong (or probably underutilizing the AVR) if I’m connecting all the sources to my tv and just an e-arc connection established between the tv and the 4700H? I have the Panasonic udp 820 4k Blu-ray player, Shield pro, Atv-4k( to be replaced in the future with the PS5/Xbox series x) all plugged into the tv.

I’m essentially using the avr like a soundbar. Lol.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Hi all, am I doing something wrong (or probably underutilizing the AVR) if I’m connecting all the sources to my tv and just an e-arc connection established between the tv and the 4700H? I have the Panasonic udp 820 4k Blu-ray player, Shield pro, Atv-4k( to be replaced in the future with the PS5/Xbox series x) all plugged into the tv.

I’m essentially using the avr like a soundbar. Lol.
Nothing wrong as there's no unpacking and forwarding done by the AVRs repeater for the HDMI signals but eARC will need to play nice and as far as I've noticed it's as much of a pain in the butt that regular ARC has been. Can't hurt to try it but you also won't get the receivers GUI i.e. volume bar and settings menu overlayed onto the TV as no sources are actually going through the AVR.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nothing wrong as there's no unpacking and forwarding done by the AVRs repeater for the HDMI signals but eARC will need to play nice and as far as I've noticed it's as much of a pain in the butt that regular ARC has been. Can't hurt to try it but you also won't get the receivers GUI i.e. volume bar and settings menu overlayed onto the TV as no sources are actually going through the AVR.
Thank you. So would I be better served routing the Blu-ray player or one of the streaming devices thru the AVR?

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Thank you. So would I be better served routing the Blu-ray player or one of the streaming devices thru the AVR?
Blue ray player for sure IMO as its the easiest thing for an AVR to handle the bitstream lossless audio.

4681 - 4700 of 5047 Posts