AVS Forum banner

4721 - 4740 of 5052 Posts

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
x3700h owner. Wanted to post this for others. I kept reading PreAmp is all or nothing and there was confusion on how to get a configuration other than 11.2 pre-amp mode. When you run the initial setup config wizard it asks you what speaker configuration your running. I have 5.1.2 (5 floor, 1 sub, 2 middle height). After running Audyssey I saved the configuration and went to the Amp Mode setting. Now after switching on Pre-Amp mode it displays the 5.1.2 speaker configuration that I previously setup. I could here the Amp shut off and am running a Outlaw 7000 amp. Flawless! Now when I add more speakers and another amp I'll run the initial setup wizard again. I searched all over for a clear explanation from Denon or Audioholics and there was no info on speaker configs with pre-amp. Hope this helps someone.
On 2020 models as long as you are externally powering all of your speakers which it seems you are all you have to do initially is select pre amplifier amp assign mode then connect up all 7 speakers to their respective binding posts on the external amp then RCAs from the external amp to the receivers pre outs and run Audyssey . No need to do anything different afterwards to fully disconnect all externally powered speakers from their respective internal amps. Also changing amp assigns after running Audyssey disables Audyssey until setup is rerun again.

EDIT: There's also a way to just disconnect the fronts internal amps like this in 2020 and older models when running less than an 11 channel setup and at least externally powering the front 2 mains. You simply select 11 channel amp assign mode but before running Audyssey you go into the speaker settings and turn off all the channels your setup doesn't use then run Audyssey.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Could not agree with you more HDMI CEC thing was a mess Turned it all off Harmony Remote. Apple 4K tv. Have not had a problem since
Same here,
I like that the Harmony Remote enables order on which devices turn on/off first and allows 5 sec pause between. Works like a charm!
Denon 3700, Oppo 203 Roku 4K, Optoma HD27HDR Projector (Upscales to 4K)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Say for instance I want to use the Denon 6700 in a 7.1.6 system. However, instead of using any of the configurations for connecting 13.1 speakers system using an external amp to the avr available in the user's manual (Connecting 13.1-channel speakers AVR-X6700H) I would like to use a more powerful external amp to power the fronts and center speakers and use the remaining powered avr's outputs to connect the extra 4 ear level speakers (surrounds and surrounds back) plus the 6 top speakers. Is this possible? Thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This is not particularly an important question, but is it possible to get a silver 6700 in the U.S?

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Say for instance I want to use the Denon 6700 in a 7.1.6 system. However, instead of using any of the configurations for connecting 13.1 speakers system using an external amp to the avr available in the user's manual (Connecting 13.1-channel speakers AVR-X6700H) I would like to use a more powerful external amp to power the fronts and center speakers and use the remaining powered avr's outputs to connect the extra 4 ear level speakers (surrounds and surrounds back) plus the 6 top speakers. Is this possible? Thanks.
JD answered this a few days back for another poster. Answer is yes.

·
Premium Member
88,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,729
x3700h owner. Wanted to post this for others. I kept reading PreAmp is all or nothing and there was confusion on how to get a configuration other than 11.2 pre-amp mode. When you run the initial setup config wizard it asks you what speaker configuration your running. I have 5.1.2 (5 floor, 1 sub, 2 middle height). After running Audyssey I saved the configuration and went to the Amp Mode setting. Now after switching on Pre-Amp mode it displays the 5.1.2 speaker configuration that I previously setup. I could here the Amp shut off and am running a Outlaw 7000 amp. Flawless! Now when I add more speakers and another amp I'll run the initial setup wizard again. I searched all over for a clear explanation from Denon or Audioholics and there was no info on speaker configs with pre-amp. Hope this helps someone.
As noted in this thread's title, there is a lot of helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread. The Pre-Amplifier mode is discussed in post #4 item #11.

·
Premium Member
88,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,730
As noted in this thread's title, there is a lot of helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread. Expansion of the X6700H is discussed in post #8.

·
Premium Member
88,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,731
There is a bug with the 2020 receivers. Needs fixing via firmware update.
Apparently an issue with your unit as I am able to select Multi CH In using either the X4700H on board menu or the 2016 Denon AVR Remote app. When you press the INFO button what is displayed as the active signal?

·
Vendor
27,498 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
As noted in this thread's title, there is a lot of helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread. Expansion of the X6700H is discussed in post #8.
Oh, sorry - you are right, the answer was right there on post #8 and I had totally missed it. Thank you for helping me find it.

One additional comment: is it possible to add that information to the user's manual (if no already)?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok how the heck are you guys getting sound out of the set if you disable earc in the settings? I have my x3700h connected to my set via arc hdmi but if I disable it, there's no sound. There are recommendations to disable earc to fix the dropping audio problem but this drops the whole sound :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Sound can also come from an optical cable from the TV to the AVR if ARC is disabled.

Ok how the heck are you guys getting sound out of the set if you disable earc in the settings? I have my x3700h connected to my set via arc hdmi but if I disable it, there's no sound. There are recommendations to disable earc to fix the dropping audio problem but this drops the whole sound :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
There is a bug with the 2020 receivers. Needs fixing via firmware update.
As we previously discussed this is not only happening with the 2020 models. It seems related to how eARC works with multi-channel PCM input.

Apparently an issue with your unit as I am able to select Multi CH In using either the X4700H on board menu or the 2016 Denon AVR Remote app. When you press the INFO button what is displayed as the active signal?
We have been discussing this issue on the Q90T thread. It only happens when the source is eARC (ie internal apps from the TV when eARC is enabled). The Denon app shows Multi-channel PCM input, however, the output options are not the same when receiving multi-channel PCM from an input directly connected to the receiver. You can work around this by using the Dolby upmixer in movie mode. You can also work around this by using one of the Pure modes where you will receive multi channel output.

I’ve included screenshots of the Denon app. Note that the output mode is normally Multi In + DSur when multichannel pcm input is detected and not Dolby Audio - Dolby Surround. This could just be how options for eARC are presented however it is different from when the receiver is getting multi-channel PCM directly from an external device.

Input (eARC multi channel PCM):

Output (choices are Stereo, DSur, Multi Ch Stereo):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: wrathek

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everybody!

I am somewhat of a noob and I ran into a problem that puzzles me. I upgraded my old Onkyo for Denon AVR-X2700H and the video feed goes away from TV at random times. The sound still comes through but TV says "no video feed" or "corrupt signal". The feed from the sat box is normal 1080p broadcast.
Setup is as follows: CBL/SAT box Arris VIP4302 -> Denon AVR -> LG 65UH850V. All cables HDMI (probably 1.4)
Video comes back when restarting AVR or TV or switching sources back and forth from some other source.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this or has any clue what to do? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
88,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,738
Hello everybody!

I am somewhat of a noob and I ran into a problem that puzzles me. I upgraded my old Onkyo for Denon AVR-X2700H and the video feed goes away from TV at random times. The sound still comes through but TV says "no video feed" or "corrupt signal". The feed from the sat box is normal 1080p broadcast.
Setup is as follows: CBL/SAT box Arris VIP4302 -> Denon AVR -> LG 65UH850V. All cables HDMI (probably 1.4)
Video comes back when restarting AVR or TV or switching sources back and forth from some other source.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this or has any clue what to do? Thanks in advance.
Ensure there is a good firm connection of the HDMI cable from the cable box to the AVR. You may also want to try another HDMI cable as well as another HDMI input. If the issue only presents with the cable box, then the issue is most likely with the cable box feed.

·
Premium Member
88,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,739
Oh, sorry - you are right, the answer was right there on post #8 and I had totally missed it. Thank you for helping me find it.

One additional comment: is it possible to add that information to the user's manual (if no already)?
You'd have to call Denon and make that suggestion.

4721 - 4740 of 5052 Posts