AVS Forum banner

5041 - 5060 of 6236 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Every several days or so when I turn on the AVR I get no signal to my subwoofers and find that everytime this happens somehow Audyssey is turned off.
I've had my 3700 for less than a week, and I've found that Audyssey has turned itself off a few times already. And, just once the entire thing restarted itself whilst I was watching a TV episode. It's like it decided to reboot - I have firmware notifications on, but auto update is off, so it shouldn't be that.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Again, there is no such thing as an uncompressed chipset.
And there 3 different kinds of HDMI chips: source, transceiver, receiver.
Transceiver Chips which are used in AVRs are by far the most complex ones.
Ok, so what I am understanding is that the transceiver chip is the issue and it cannot deal with the signal from the source. Is this correct?

I am also assuming the video on YouTube from Stop the FOMO is incorrect. Yes?

Sent from somewhere you've never been.

·
Vendor
28,040 Posts
Honestly, it's a "shame on you" for Denon/Marantz since they didn't hardware test the full HDMI 2.1 spec, regardless of what Panasonic Solutions (not the Panasonic we all think of, if I am not mistaken) gave them. I think they took a high risk/high reward gamble to be the first ones to market and lost. They knew this was a possibility.
How could they fully test is when it was just a few weeks back the first Graphics card with HDMI 2.1 was released? Keep in mind only a few people are even buying these cards.

--Wait until the gaming systems get released next month......Then we can really test the 3 different kinds of HDMI chips: source, transceiver, receiver.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just my luck. Back when I bought my first receiver (Onkyo) it had to be sent in for repair due to some faulty thing inside.
Now a few years later buying my second one it too comes with something faulty. lmao

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
How could they fully test is when it was just a few weeks back the first Graphics card with HDMI 2.1 was released?

--Wait until the gaming systems get released next month......
HDMI is a standard and there is standard testing equipment you use to test your device.

They shouldn't have to test every individual source device on the market. That defeats the purpose of a "standard". If you want to blame someone it should be the HDMI Forum for allowing this mess.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just my luck. Back when I bought my first receiver (Onkyo) it had to be sent in for repair due to some faulty thing inside.
Now a few years later buying my second one it too comes with something faulty. lmao
Perhaps we need to think about AVRs and other AV equipment as ever more complex processors (computers) having to work in in multi-vendor interoperating environment of "standards" based peripherals. What could go wrong?

It was once said - perhaps still - that we gladly shell out a lot of money to buy a new computer (e.g. desktop, laptop. smart phone) full well knowing it has defects. Does not make it right or acceptable - just is what it is.

·
Registered
397 Posts
How could they fully test is when it was just a few weeks back the first Graphics card with HDMI 2.1 was released? Keep in mind only a few people are even buying these cards.

--Wait until the gaming systems get released next month......Then we can really test the 3 different kinds of HDMI chips: source, transceiver, receiver.
I think that's the point. They couldn't properly test, standards or not. They (along with everyone else) should have waited before releasing HDMI 2.1 receivers.

Also, it's not just the 4K/120hz signal issue. VRR doesn't work either. Let's not forget that.

With that said, I do love my 4700. Won't return it. I will wait for the "permanent solution."

Sent from somewhere you've never been.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not sure if this was posted. Forbes reached out to Sound United/Denon.
"We are currently investigating the issue further and will offer a permanent solution at a later date. Meanwhile, we would like to provide a couple of workarounds to prevent the issue in its current state: "

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Not sure if this was posted. Forbes reached out to Sound United/Denon.
I guess it would be impossible to read the thread's last few pages first to check :(
3rd or 4th time now, at least :(

·
Registered
476 Posts
Do you have custom settings for stereo playback that disables the sub, perhaps?
Is there an option to turn off/on subwoofer in 2-channel audio mode? According to the app though, the subwoofer is being used. It is lit green. Yet no sound from it. I've tried HEOS, direct USB flash drive, and other media. Subwoofer has no sound in stereo mode. I got a Samsung S10+ which should be fast enough for the Denon app but it's still super laggy.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Is there an option to turn off/on subwoofer in 2-channel audio mode? According to the app though, the subwoofer is being used. It is lit green. Yet no sound from it. I've tried HEOS, direct USB flash drive, and other media. Subwoofer has no sound in stereo mode. I got a Samsung S10+ which should be fast enough for the Denon app but it's still super laggy.
Ah, yes I've heard the android app is apparently trash. Idk why they won't update it.

Under Speaker settings -> 2 CH playback (or Stereo playback, something along those lines) it has specific settings for stereo inputs. You can assign different speaker sizes, crossovers, LFE yes/no, LFE+Main (double bass), etc. I am thinking it's possible that you have something wonky in your settings here.

If not, perhaps you have 2 Audyssey profiles enabled without realizing it, and you're on one or the other by accident, and they're more or less the same, except for the 2CH settings as mentioned above?

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hello,

I am a new Denon 2700h owner and my first new AVR since many years.... so still figuring some new stuff out but so far it went ok but one issue remains currently. My XboxOne X does not recognize (at least in the setting menu) that my TV (LG CX) supports Dolby Vision if I go through the AVR. If I connect it directly it works but not with the AVR in between. HDR10 works fine. Anybody an idea what I did wrong?

Edit: Solved it by turning Freesync on the TV off. Bug or technical limitations?
Technical limitation is a strong word, but yes, Denon decidedly doesn't support Freesync Premium or w/e it is called. They only intend to support basic VRR, per the HDMI standard, and that is apparently buggy currently.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mr JD, I have a 4700H. Every several days or so when I turn on the AVR I get no signal to my subwoofers and find that everytime this happens somehow Audyssey is turned off. When It happens I go to the menu and turn Audyssey back on and the subs stay on and Audyssey appears to work fine for a few days and then it turns itself off again. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I'm not doing? Is this a known issue or a problem with my unit that requires repair? As always thanks for your response.
I've had my 3700 for less than a week, and I've found that Audyssey has turned itself off a few times already. And, just once the entire thing restarted itself whilst I was watching a TV episode. It's like it decided to reboot - I have firmware notifications on, but auto update is off, so it shouldn't be that.
This is either something you are doing/did (by accident possibly) due to a setting/preference on a given input/source sound mode preference, or a simple bug.

I would suggest a microprocessor reset (see posts 1-8 of this thread), and if it persists, a full factory reset and completely re-running audyssey. (I specifically wouldn't recommend backing up settings, as it's possible that it's some weird setting that you enabled by accident).

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question for those that have a 2020 Denon receiver hooked up to a LG OLED (or perhaps any TV...) - does the TV recognize the input as a "Denon" or one of the sources connected to the receiver? In my case, I've got a 3700H connected to HDMI 3 of my LG BX OLED TV. When I started over and first hooked up the Denon alone, it recognized it as "Denon" and named the HDMI3 Input accordingly. Once I started up my Nvidia Shield, the TV now only recognizes HDMI 3 as "SHIELD." I also have an Xbox hooked up the Denon, but that doesn't appear to change the name of the TV's input when it's on.

Besides the input names, I'm wondering if this has something to do with some weird HDMI control issues I'm seeing between all of these components. From what I'm reading in this thread it appears that I'm not in the minority for issues with HDMI Arc/eArc/CEC.

·
Premium Member
89,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,058
Mr JD, I have a 4700H. Every several days or so when I turn on the AVR I get no signal to my subwoofers and find that everytime this happens somehow Audyssey is turned off. When It happens I go to the menu and turn Audyssey back on and the subs stay on and Audyssey appears to work fine for a few days and then it turns itself off again. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I'm not doing? Is this a known issue or a problem with my unit that requires repair? As always thanks for your response.
Are you by chance using a Quick Select button to power on and select a source? If yes, then you must re-memorize the Quick Select button to include the current Audyssey setting you want for that particular source.

What is the current subwoofer setting? If it is between -12dB and -6dB and you have the sub set to AUTO, then boost the Subwoofer Level Adjust setting so it is closer to 0dB, otherwise, just leave the sub set to ON.

·
Premium Member
89,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,059
In Stereo mode, when I play music, either streaming, HEOS, or USB, my subwoofer is not being used. The Denon app shows L/R/Sub highlighted, but no sound coming out of the sub. Also not sure why the app says "Movie" mode at bottom when I clearly selected "Music". Sometimes the app doesn't reflect what I pick, I think it's buggy! Why is my subwoofer not outputting any sound?

Also...This app is so slow it is pathetic. Denon should be ashamed of themselves for having such a buggy and slow app and pairing it with high-end receivers. Also the receivers can't automatically detect between Stereo and multi-channel audio and switch back and forth automatically! When using streaming apps(Spotify) on my TV, the receiver stays in Atmos or multi-channel mode, instead of switching to Stereo. My old Pioneer was smarter, and could detect Stereo and switch automatically.
What output icons are displayed when you press the INFO button on the Denon remote? Are your Front L/R speakers set to SMALL/80Hz as is generally recommended? What is the Subwoofer Level setting? Is it set to AUTO?

Although the app does incorrectly display MOVIE, your surround mode selection using the app is used by the AVR.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hi i bought a Denon 3700 model last week. Im super excited by my receivers perfomance, but i wait to see how this story with this faulty HDMI 2.1 will carry on. Lets hope that we wont need to use earc, otherwise i would have bought a 3600.

5041 - 5060 of 6236 Posts