AVS Forum banner

7061 - 7080 of 7177 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey...I just my X3700H. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

1) Do I need to reset the AVR to factory settings?

2) If using an old AVR, you would connect from the primary AVR pre-outs to one of
the stereo analog audio inputs (eg. CD) of the old AVR and then connect the speakers
to the Front L/R speaker posts on the old AVR-this only applies if I only plan to
power just the 2 front CH. What if I want to power all the 3 front CH including the
CENTER CH? Where do I connect the Center pre-out to the old AVR?

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,062
@jdsmoothie in the past I could go to the first pages and get info on firmware updates etc. Will you be doing that soon? I am looking for info on the latest firmware, and would also like any updates on the VRR issues.

Thanks!
Nope. No longer; however, you can refer to the link at the bottom of post #6 for a change log.

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,063
Hey...I just my X3700H. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

1) Do I need to reset the AVR to factory settings?

2) If using an old AVR, you would connect from the primary AVR pre-outs to one of
the stereo analog audio inputs (eg. CD) of the old AVR and then connect the speakers
to the Front L/R speaker posts on the old AVR-this only applies if I only plan to
power just the 2 front CH. What if I want to power all the 3 front CH including the
CENTER CH? Where do I connect the Center pre-out to the old AVR?
1. Nope, not unless it's refurbished or otherwise "used."
2. Depends. If the old AVR features multi analog inputs you can connect up to 7 speakers to it from the new AVR, otherwise, you can connect as many speakers as independent zones (ie. main zone only - 2 speakers; Zone 2 - 4 speakers (Front L/R and Zone 2 L/R); Zone 3 - 6 speakers (Front L/R + Zone 2 L/R + Zone 3 L/R).

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,064 (Edited)
Vizio released a firmware recently that finally allows the PS5 to work with 4k/120hz. Works fine when I connect the ps5 directly to the TV, but i can't seem to get it to work through my Denon AVR-S960H. It just results in a black screen. PS5 is connected 8k in port on the denon, and the denon is connected to my tv on the 'monitor2' port. using earc on monitor1 port. And yes i have the 8k enhanced option turned on in the denon settings.

Anyone have this set up working or have ideas?
Although it shouldn't matter, try connecting the TV to the HDMI Monitor 1 output.

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,065
Thanks will try to do that. Wasn't sure if there was a standard view of "If you can choose between Middle and Rear always use X" but it sounds like not.
Ideally, you should have placed the two overhead speakers above and about 1' forward of the main listening position (as we hear speakers in front us better than those behind us). As that was not the case, your option is to use what works best for your hearing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The PS5 was able to pass a 4k/120Hz signal prior to the update so apparently something changed in the PS5 update that may put it in the same category as the xBox Series X and no longer able to pass 4k/120Hz.
Are you talking about an update for the ps5 system its self?

4k/120 has never worked properly with my 2021 vizio PQX until today's firmware update from vizio. So, i dont know if it was working with other TVs through a denon previously.

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,067
Are you talking about an update for the ps5 system its self?

4k/120 has never worked properly with my 2021 vizio PQX until today's firmware update from vizio. So, i dont know if it was working with other TVs through a denon previously.
Oops! Misread thinking the update was a PS5 update.

Review post #5 and do a "soft reset" of the TV, AVR, and PS5. Also try connecting to the HDMI Monitor 1 output instead.

·
Vendor
28,638 Posts
Denon and Marantz passing the PS5 may just be temporary anyway. "We analyzed the HDMI 2.1 output from the Sony PS5 (Playstation 5) console, and found that the maximum bandwidth it can deliver either at [email protected] or [email protected] is currently 32Gbps, which is lower than the 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 bandwidth on the Xbox Series X. " If this can be fixed on the PS5 there may be more issues coming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure your CX has the latest firmware. My CX <=> X4700H had similar issues with 3.11.XX firmware but went away with the 3.21.XX firmware update with the CX.
I’m waiting for that update. It is still not available where I live.

Hope It works well for me too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ideally, you should have placed the two overhead speakers above and about 1' forward of the main listening position (as we hear speakers in front us better than those behind us). As that was not the case, your option is to use what works best for your hearing.
Great thanks. It's a living space (not a dedicated HT) and there is a ceiling fan right above MLP :) so that was the location.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
If this can be fixed on the PS5 there may be more issues coming.
Not sure if it's a bug or a choice by Sony. They've decided to output everything at 12-bit, including 4K 120Hz. Since they can't do 48Gbps for RGB 12-bit they use YUV 4:2:2 instead which only needs 32Gbps.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When running audyssey, should I be in the room and if so, where should I stand/sit? It would seem to me that you'd want everything as it would be while watching TV when running audyssey, by that logic I'd be sitting on the couch holding the mic. What do you all do?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi!

I'm having an issue on my Denon AVR-S960H in that when I try to enter the Setup Menu while connected to a device (such as my nVidia Shield), it won't actually let me into the menu. It briefly hoes there, then flips to TV Audio, then back to the Shield. Here's my layout:

Denon AVR:
CBL/SAT HDMI Input --> nVidia Shield
MONITOR 1 HDMI Output --> LG 55BX OLED TV

TV:
HDMI 3 (ARC) --> Denon AVR
HDMI 4 --> XBox Series X

If I flip to an unused input on the AVR , I can access the Setup menu just fine; just not when the Shield is being used it seems.

The following video shows what's happening (Yes, I realize the irony of the chosen thumbnail being the setup menu)

·
Registered
347 Posts
1. Nope, not unless it's refurbished or otherwise "used."
2. Depends. If the old AVR features multi analog inputs you can connect up to 7 speakers to it from the new AVR, otherwise, you can connect as many speakers as independent zones (ie. main zone only - 2 speakers; Zone 2 - 4 speakers (Front L/R and Zone 2 L/R); Zone 3 - 6 speakers (Front L/R + Zone 2 L/R + Zone 3 L/R).
Nope just audio in...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having an issue on my Denon AVR-S960H in that when I try to enter the Setup Menu while connected to a device (such as my nVidia Shield), it won't actually let me into the menu. It briefly hoes there, then flips to TV Audio, then back to the Shield.
We have a very similar setup and I am having the exact same issue with my Shield and my Denon X3700H. I also have an Xbox Series X but I've got that plugged directly into my LG BX OLED given the current issues with 4k/120 on the Denon.

Unfortunately I have no answers, but as a workaround you can use the Denon AVR app to control some settings on your phone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have a very similar setup and I am having the exact same issue with my Shield and my Denon X3700H. I also have an Xbox Series X but I've got that plugged directly into my LG BX OLED given the current issues with 4k/120 on the Denon.

Unfortunately I have no answers, but as a workaround you can use the Denon AVR app to control some settings on your phone.
Good to know I'm not alone. Yeah, my XBox Series X is plugged into my TV directly as well for the same reason. On a related note, Ori & the Will of the Wisps looks INCREDIBLE on OLED displays!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just received a 960 (refurb/b-stock) and while just about everything seems fine I’m having one issue I’m trying to solve.

While using Spotify Connect, after listening for approximately 10-15 minutes the unit turns off (along with the tv). This happened multiple times while I had my tv turned on but with no other connnected device turned on (LG B7 tv, the screen was in screensaver/“no input detected”). I tested with the tv turned off and the 960 didn’t turn itself off.

The only auto-off on my tv is set to 2 hours so I’m confused about what would be triggering the 960 to shut off. Any ideas here, first of all? Does the 960 auto-shutdown if it doesn’t receive a video signal after a certain amount of time even if it’s receiving audio?

Secondly, if I want my tv on with some sort of screensaver while Spotify Connect is playing, where the 960 won’t shut off, can anyone give me an idea of how to do that?

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
When running audyssey, should I be in the room and if so, where should I stand/sit? It would seem to me that you'd want everything as it would be while watching TV when running audyssey, by that logic I'd be sitting on the couch holding the mic. What do you all do?
You can stay in the room but be quiet and not in between the mic and the speaker being tested.

Please take the time to read the Audyssey FAQ / 101 which is provided in the first post of the thread "Official" Audyssey thread Part II
It’ll help ypu to get a good calibration the first time. The instructions in the receiver’s manual are inadequate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see the same thing with my 4700 + Samsung TV + JVC projector. With both plugged in, and either one on Standby, the other wouldn't work reliably.

The only sensible solution I could find was to use the Quick Select settings on the Denon. So now my Quick Select 1 has only HDMI 1 (the eArc one) enabled, which is for my TV viewing. Quick Select 2 has only HDMI 2 (monitor) enabled, which is for my projector. Quick Select remembers a bunch of other settings, such as the input as well. Turns out this is a real nice way to handle this.
Hi, Murray,
Can you please elaborate a bit more about Quick Select Setting in Denon or can you please tell where to look in Denon Manual?
Tks

7061 - 7080 of 7177 Posts