AVS Forum banner

7081 - 7100 of 7177 Posts

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,081
I just received a 960 (refurb/b-stock) and while just about everything seems fine I’m having one issue I’m trying to solve.

While using Spotify Connect, after listening for approximately 10-15 minutes the unit turns off (along with the tv). This happened multiple times while I had my tv turned on but with no other connnected device turned on (LG B7 tv, the screen was in screensaver/“no input detected”). I tested with the tv turned off and the 960 didn’t turn itself off.

The only auto-off on my tv is set to 2 hours so I’m confused about what would be triggering the 960 to shut off. Any ideas here, first of all? Does the 960 auto-shutdown if it doesn’t receive a video signal after a certain amount of time even if it’s receiving audio?

Secondly, if I want my tv on with some sort of screensaver while Spotify Connect is playing, where the 960 won’t shut off, can anyone give me an idea of how to do that?
Set VIDEO - SCREEN SAVER to ON (p. 173 Owner's manual).

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,083
Hi!

I'm having an issue on my Denon AVR-S960H in that when I try to enter the Setup Menu while connected to a device (such as my nVidia Shield), it won't actually let me into the menu. It briefly hoes there, then flips to TV Audio, then back to the Shield. Here's my layout:

Denon AVR:
CBL/SAT HDMI Input --> nVidia Shield
MONITOR 1 HDMI Output --> LG 55BX OLED TV

TV:
HDMI 3 (ARC) --> Denon AVR
HDMI 4 --> XBox Series X

If I flip to an unused input on the AVR , I can access the Setup menu just fine; just not when the Shield is being used it seems.

The following video shows what's happening (Yes, I realize the irony of the chosen thumbnail being the setup menu)
Set VIDEO - HDMI SETUP - TV AUDIO SWITCHING = OFF (p. 175 Owner's manual).

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,084
When running audyssey, should I be in the room and if so, where should I stand/sit? It would seem to me that you'd want everything as it would be while watching TV when running audyssey, by that logic I'd be sitting on the couch holding the mic. What do you all do?
Set the mic and leave the room.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have a new X3700H that I am trying to set up. One area of confusion is the setting (if it exists) for bypassing any video processing in the AVR. I want my projector to do any upscaling from my Panasonic Blu-ray player that is connected to the AVR. I assumed that there would be simple some setting for bypassing video processing (like in my Yamaha AVR that I use with my TV), and the manual on page 193 talks about setting the Video Mode to "Bypass," but I don't see that option in any part of the setup menu.

What am I missing? Is there a way to turn off any video processing being done by the AVR? Is the option dependent on some other setting being selected?

EDIT: Sorry, never mind. I actually found in looking at the Denon app on my iPhone, and that enabled me to find it in the setup menu on the AVR. I looked up and down for it several times before and I don't know how I missed it -- I could swear it wasn't there! I guess I shouldn't do these things late at night. 😮

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Set the mic and leave the room.
I was told by SVS customer service that it was necessary to be in the room during the running of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 with Sub EQ HT because there may be the need to manually bring the subwoofers' gain into the "green". Was this incorrect?

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,087
I was told by SVS customer service that it was necessary to be in the room during the running of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 with Sub EQ HT because there may be the need to manually bring the subwoofers' gain into the "green". Was this incorrect?
No, setting the sub would be the exception.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have a 5.2 speaker setup with an external amp powering my full range speakers. I have a 4700 arriving in the next week or so to replace my current processor. I will still be using my external power amp for my speakers.

However I am looking at adding upward facing Atmos speakers on top of my fronts and possibly side surrounds to get to a 5.2.4 setup. I do not have external amps for these new Atmos speakers currently. So the question is can the 4700 be configured such that I use an external power amp for some of the speakers (the 5.x.x part) and the internal power amp for others (the x.x.4 part)? Or is it an all or nothing setup and I have to either not use my external power amps and go all internal or also purchase an amp to power my new Atmos spekaers?

·
Registered
836 Posts
did gsync or vrr over hdmi via this amp ever get sorted?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry, there's so many pages to go through and I just want to double check on one thing.
I was ready to buy the x3700h a few months back until I read about the problems with HDMI 2.1 and everyone was advising to hold off on a new receiver until 2021. Now I'm seeing that the 4K/120hz issue is only with the Xbox and that it is working properly with the PS5? Just want to get clarification on this because as long as everything is good between this receiver and the PS5 and eArc is working then I would probably be ready to buy this. Really looking for a new receiver and not sure I want to wait any longer! Got a few hundred in Amazon gift cards at the ready.

Are there any other issues with this model unrelated to 120hz with the PS5? Any receiver coming in 2021 that is worth waiting for?

·
Registered
354 Posts
We have a very similar setup and I am having the exact same issue with my Shield and my Denon X3700H. I also have an Xbox Series X but I've got that plugged directly into my LG BX OLED given the current issues with 4k/120 on the Denon.

Unfortunately I have no answers, but as a workaround you can use the Denon AVR app to control some settings on your phone.
@DJ Devo I had this issue as well - but only after getting a PS5. When I had my PS4 hooked up, I had no problems with the shield trying to "fight" to be the current input, but as soon as I set up the PS5, the shield suddenly started fighting to be the current input if I tried to use any other device connected to the AVR.

Like if I turned on my blu-ray player, I would have to mash the blu-ray input button on the denon repeatedly for roughly a minute, otherwise the shield would constantly switch to itself.

I don't have any answers for why this seems to be, other than perhaps something with these new consoles/HDMI 2.1 device's signaling confuses the shield.

The fix, unfortunately, is disabling CEC on everything. It drove me nuts enough that I finally bought a Harmony remote, which I had been putting off for years, just to stop having to deal with it. I was a CEC apologist until this started happening, lol.

·
Registered
354 Posts
did gsync or vrr over hdmi via this amp ever get sorted?
Not yet. Still being looked at/worked on by Denon.

Sorry, there's so many pages to go through and I just want to double check on one thing.
I was ready to buy the x3700h a few months back until I read about the problems with HDMI 2.1 and everyone was advising to hold off on a new receiver until 2021. Now I'm seeing that the 4K/120hz issue is only with the Xbox and that it is working properly with the PS5? Just want to get clarification on this because as long as everything is good between this receiver and the PS5 and eArc is working then I would probably be ready to buy this. Really looking for a new receiver and not sure I want to wait any longer! Got a few hundred in Amazon gift cards at the ready.

Are there any other issues with this model unrelated to 120hz with the PS5? Any receiver coming in 2021 that is worth waiting for?
I haven't had any issues with my PS5, although I don't have an HDMI 2.1 capable display.

To answer your question(s), currently, yes, the PS5 works fine. This can always change from future PS5 firmware updates, however. Sony has stated that a future update will implement VRR, and that has been iffy at best with most devices that support it.

It also works fine currently, because Sony has apparently made the decision to max the bandwidth of the PS5 to 32 Gbps, which is below the 40 Gbps rate that seems to cause the AVR HDMI chip to choke. This could also in theory be changed with future firmware updates, but Sony hasn't really hinted at that just yet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not yet. Still being looked at/worked on by Denon.

I haven't had any issues with my PS5, although I don't have an HDMI 2.1 capable display.

To answer your question(s), currently, yes, the PS5 works fine. This can always change from future PS5 firmware updates, however. Sony has stated that a future update will implement VRR, and that has been iffy at best with most devices that support it.

It also works fine currently, because Sony has apparently made the decision to max the bandwidth of the PS5 to 32 Gbps, which is below the 40 Gbps rate that seems to cause the AVR HDMI chip to choke. This could also in theory be changed with future firmware updates, but Sony hasn't really hinted at that just yet.
Thanks for the info. My TV does have VRR and HDMI 2.1, but that's not my only reason for upgrading either. I also want the extra channels, Dolby Vision/HDR10+ capability, DTS X and

So all we're not sure of right now is VRR? Would you say I would be better off waiting or would i be fine making the purchase now?

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,095
It has 2 pairs of RCA inputs under Zone 2 and Zone 3 labeled pre-out.
Yeh ... pre-outs would be connected to an external amp which defeats the purpose of using the AVR to power the speakers. The AVR must be able to be configured to power the Zone 2 and Zone 3 speakers without using external amps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I do have another older Denon AVR 1802 which has EXT-IN inputs.

1) Can I use this to power the 4 Atmos in-ceiling speakers or am I limited to just either the Front Height or Rear Height on the X3700H.
2) In the amp-assign it would still be labeled as Assign Mode: 11.1 Pre-out: Height2 but in actual I can connect the 2 pre-outs Height 1 and Height 2 to the EXT-IN on the old AVR and the X3700H is only powering the 7 ear level speakers?
3) The 1802 has a 5.1 EXT-IN. Am I correct that I can connect using an RCA cable from Height 1 L to Front L/ Height 1 R to Front R/ Height 2 L to SL/ Height 2 R to SR?

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,097
I currently have a 5.2 speaker setup with an external amp powering my full range speakers. I have a 4700 arriving in the next week or so to replace my current processor. I will still be using my external power amp for my speakers.

However I am looking at adding upward facing Atmos speakers on top of my fronts and possibly side surrounds to get to a 5.2.4 setup. I do not have external amps for these new Atmos speakers currently. So the question is can the 4700 be configured such that I use an external power amp for some of the speakers (the 5.x.x part) and the internal power amp for others (the x.x.4 part)? Or is it an all or nothing setup and I have to either not use my external power amps and go all internal or also purchase an amp to power my new Atmos spekaers?
Yup.

Set AMP ASSIGN = 9.1Ch. The pre-outs are all hot so connect the desired pre-outs to the external amp and connect the speakers you want the AVR to power to their respective speaker posts. Run Audyssey. Sit back and enjoy. :)

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,098
I do have another older Denon AVR 1802 which has EXT-IN inputs. Can I use this to power the 4 Atmos in-ceiling speakers or am I limited to just either the Front Height or Rear Height on the X3700H. In the amp-assign it would still be labeled as Assign Mode: 11.1 Pre-out: Height2 but in actual I can connect the 2 pre-outs Height 1 and Height 2 to the EXT-IN on the old AVR and the X3700H is only powering the 7 ear level speakers?
Yes. That use case would work just fine using the 1802 to power both sets of Height 1 and Height 2 speakers.

·
Vendor
28,641 Posts

So far the Sony PS5 is playing nice with the Denon and Marantz units. eARC and ARC issues can happen in any setup, there are many unforeseen variables at play. Odds are though you should be in good shape. As far as waiting, we have to see what bugs are fixed and get those 2021 units in people hands, that is a long way off, base models will start coming out about June 2021. Higher end unit later then that.

Not sure if it's a bug or a choice by Sony. They've decided to output everything at 12-bit, including 4K 120Hz. Since they can't do 48Gbps for RGB 12-bit they use YUV 4:2:2 instead which only needs 32Gbps.
Do you think if the Sony was running at 40Gbps or 48Gbps there would be issues with these receivers? I am thinking that is why there are no issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With the 3700H, I understand is a 9.2 channel with connections for 11.2 using an external amp.
Without using an external amp at all Is it possible to have 7.2.2 in the MAIN( 9 channels), but at the same time have a zone two set of speaker wired in at height 2 terminals(outside on back porch).. basically all 11 terminal sets connected but only use 9 at a time. I could be wrong, but I think Onkyo did it this way, the 7.2 receiver would drop the surround back when zone 2 was turned on, but it could all be connected.

I understand it could not all be able to be played at the same time, but am trying to figure out if the AVR can possibly just drop 2 from the main, say the front height speakers, and direct the power to the zone 2 speakers when zone 2 is turned on.

I'm sure I can achieve this manually by having everything connected , going into the setup and manually changing from zone 2 setup to an atmos setup with 2 speakers up front.. all while everything is physically connected right?

7081 - 7100 of 7177 Posts