In that scenario the surround back speakers won’t be used since it’s at 13 max

·
Premium Member
87,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hey my main man JD

I wonder if a speaker config of 5ch+FW and 6 height channels can be configured

In that scenario the surround back speakers won’t be used since it’s at 13 max
Nope. As noted in the pic in post 15, the Height 3 and Front Wide share the same speaker posts.

This is one of the additional features of the X8500H with its 4 sets of additional speaker posts instead of only 3 sets.

·
Registered
732 Posts
re: preamp mode. totally agreed. this is super exciting!

quick question though... do you guys know if this is an all or nothing mode?

i only have 1 stereo amp for L&R. not sure if i will ever get amps for everything else. could i disable just the front L&R mode or will it disable everything and you must have amps for all the channels?

i poked around the 'manual' and only saw these 2 relevant pages but it's not super clear:
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3700H/NA/EN/DRDZSYhylpohod.php
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3700H/NA/EN/DRDZSYasydxfyy.php#DRDZMLwkekzqtf

i imagine it's a all or nothing proposition and that the higher models might allow for this type of granular adjustment no?
I have an x8500, and in custom amp assign you can pick and choose what channels you want disconnected. So for example you can choose to set L/R/C channels to none and the amps will be disconnected. The manual doesn’t do a very good job at explaining this but I have used it and this can be done.

·
Registered
944 Posts
that's way out of my price range. plus i'd rather have a 3700/4700 + $ on external amps >P

I have an x8500, and in custom amp assign you can pick and choose what channels you want disconnected. So for example you can choose to set L/R/C channels to none and the amps will be disconnected. The manual doesn’t do a very good job at explaining this but I have used it and this can be done.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I just bought a 4500, I wonder if I should exchange for a 4700? Or if BB does a price drop on the 4500 I could get the difference refunded.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Interesting so no x1x00 model this year. I wonder why? Maybe the baseline feature set was considered too premium for the base model?

·
Registered
585 Posts
SO just so I understand correctly - The entire series of 2020 AVRs only has one HDMI 2.1 40Gbps input port? Thats seems odd. By end of the year with the new consoles and a PC ill have at least three sources that I want to connect to HDMI 2.1 ports.
Yeah- which makes it pretty garbage honestly.... if LG ever fixes their eArc problem on their OLEDs there'd be no point in buying this thing at all- just run video direct to the TV and ignore the AVR entirely except for one eARC connection back to it anything as old as an x3400 for audio only (and no benefit in getting a "new" one to do that- anything that does eARC'd be sufficient)

My luck of course I'm currently running an X3300, the last one BEFORE eArc... still highly disappointed I held out just for this to not get me anything worthwhile over what 3 models ago'll do with a working eARC TV.

·
Registered
732 Posts
IMO, this is actually the most significant feature (more important than a single 40 Gbps HDMI input):

"- Pre-amp mode (formerly only featured on the flagship models) - physically disconnects all on board amps when only external amps are being used (X3700H and higher)"

This will allow these AVRs to function as true pre/pros when an external amplifier is used and increase the effective clean output range of the preouts. As shown in the ASR review of the X3600H, use of the preamp mode available for the two front channels enables the X3600H to measure better than many far more expensive pre/pros, such as the new Arcam units. Without this mode, the preamp output falls apart when the amp is driven to clipping.

This is the feature that could tempt me to sell my X4500H and upgrade to an X4700H. The X3700H may be the best value, but the lack of a front HDMI input disqualifies it for me.
The manuals of the new models are different as the new 3700/4700/6700 models do have a preamp mode which disables all amps for improved performance. The 8500 has the custom assign mode and from there you can select "none" on any given channel and disconnect the amp. So without having units in hand to go through the menu, it does appear than you can't pick and choose which channel you want to disconnect. This could be a bit of a bummer for those that want to use some of the onboard amps but not all. Looks like they retained this just for the 8500.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dumb question but someone asked if these only had (1) HDMI 2.1 port. It should be 1 port + the eARC monitor port, yes? So ability to plug in 1 HDMI 2.1 item and plug others straight into an LG OLED? With the eARC able to handle the HDMI 2.1 items plugged in?

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Yeah- which makes it pretty garbage honestly.... if LG ever fixes their eArc problem on their OLEDs there'd be no point in buying this thing at all- just run video direct to the TV and ignore the AVR entirely except for one eARC connection back to it anything as old as an x3400 for audio only (and no benefit in getting a "new" one to do that- anything that does eARC'd be sufficient)
The C9 just got a firmware update the full enables LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 so there's no more eARC problems. The 2017 Denons do have eARC issues however.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The C9 just got a firmware update the full enables LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 so there's no more eARC problems. The 2018 Denons do have eARC issues however.
I believe it's the 2017 Denon X4400H/X6400H models that are affected, 2018 models are meant to be fine.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The C9 just got a firmware update the full enables LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 so there's no more eARC problems. The 2017 Denons do have eARC issues however.
So basically I should keep eyes open for a refurb X3500 or something cheap to replace my 3300 is what it sounds like since the 3700 won't really get me anything

·
Premium Member
87,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Dumb question but someone asked if these only had (1) HDMI 2.1 port. It should be 1 port + the eARC monitor port, yes? So ability to plug in 1 HDMI 2.1 item and plug others straight into an LG OLED? With the eARC able to handle the HDMI 2.1 items plugged in?
Correct.

1ea - HDMI 2.1 input
2ea - HDMI 2.1 main zone monitor outputs

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
So basically I should keep eyes open for a refurb X3500 or something cheap to replace my 3300 is what it sounds like since the 3700 won't really get me anything

we are in the same boat. Im starting a new HT system from scratch, i have already bought the 2 front speakers (Klipsch 8000) and the only thing i really want to know if denon 4500 earc will work without issues with lg oled c9 or cX.

·
Registered
280 Posts

My luck of course I'm currently running an X3300, the last one BEFORE eArc... still highly disappointed I held out just for this to not get me anything worthwhile over what 3 models ago'll do with a working eARC TV.
I've been waiting to upgrade my x4300h which doesn't have eARC so these models are a worthwhile upgrade to me. I've also been wanting to try the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization because I'm not able to set up the discrete speakers in my living room. The one HDMI 2.1 port is fine in the near term. Technically I don't need that feature at all because I don't really expect it to make much of a difference for the next gen of consoles, and for my PC I've been running the video to the TV directly and the audio to the AVR using a displayport to hdmi adapter.

61 - 80 of 2421 Posts