AVS Forum banner

8321 - 8340 of 8540 Posts

·
Premium Member
91,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,321 ·
I have hooked up JBL E100 as fronts to my Denon 6700. During the Audyssey calibration I got a warning that the polarity on my left speaker is reversed. The funny thing is, having swapped the wires and re-running calibration, I still got the same message!
Did anyone else encounter the same issue? What could be a reason for this?
As noted in the Owner's manual, if you have confirmed the wires are connected correctly at the speaker end and the AVR end, then simply IGNORE the warning and move on. It's very rare that the mfr has reversed the wires by mistake, rather more likely due to the placement of the speaker in the room.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I get that all receivers can have hdmi handshake issues but my x4700h is pretty bad with frequent and consistent issues. I've never had this problem with my previous marantz, onkyo and even earlier denon models. That's why it's seems like a particular issue with this unit.
Try manually switching between output 1 and 2. Don’t use auto. See if that helps. I have a lg c8 and. Jvc rs540 connected this was and knock on wood it’s been good and even arc is working well which I’m actually surprised about.

if you have a harmony remote there are discrete commands to switch outputs you can use for each activity.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
What do you guys use for external test tones that have atmos tones too? I have the Dolby demo discs but those seem to be mastered at -20 full bandwidth tones so with the master volume at 0 setting the trims to 85db is extremely loud and I don’t want to damage speakers.

I’ve resorted to setting front left to 75 db using a disc using -30db and band limited tones. Then going back to atmos tones and setting the master volume so that speaker also plays at 75 db and setting the rest from there. Usually that around -12 master volume.

there has to be a better way. Not using the internal tones since that bypasses audessey correction.

·
Registered
145 Posts
1. Zones 2 and 3 cannot use HEOS speakers (ie. they are considered independent zones) rather these must be wired speakers either powered by the X4700H or by using an external amp(s) via the Zone 2/3 pre-outs.
2. These 2020 models feature Web Control. See p. 167 Owner's manual.
Thank you. Regarding item one and zones. That is what I thought and thank you for clarifying. I'll go read up some more on how HEOS works but the zone 2 and 3 is similar to how my Yamaha receiver worked. Easy enough.

I "thought" I tried the web control method earlier via IP but it didn't work. Thank you for the owners manual reference - it worked. Not sure what I did and your pointer helped. Not as neat as Yamaha's but it will work. Thank you very much. Downloaded the manual and will use this. Now all I have to do is fine a center channel that are 4 - 5" height max and will complement our klipsch 600m speakers.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi all,

Question on setting up Denon X3700H with 11 channels via adding that additional amplifier to be able to do 7.2.4 atmos:

Say I'm using an integrated amplifier, ex: AudioSource AMP100 (50watts/ch @ 8ohm) as the additional amplifier and using the last two pre-amp output from the X3700H out to that. Everything else runs on the X3700H. In the menu, set the rear heights or whatever they will be called (whatever the rear atmos speakers will be called in menu) to be pre-amp out.

So the real question is: for the amplifier, does one use an SPL meter and raise volume at listening position to 75db with the volume knob on the integrated amp; or does one simply max the volume knob and let the receiver handle the input signal level to it after doing calibration?

Thanks!

Very best,

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
So the real question is: for the amplifier, does one use an SPL meter and raise volume at listening position to 75db with the volume knob on the integrated amp; or does one simply max the volume knob and let the receiver handle the input signal level to it after doing calibration?
Hi MalVeauX, jdsmoothie written the setup sample in post #8, read volume.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi MalVeauX, jdsmoothie written the setup sample in post #8, read volume.
Hi, thanks, found it. I had missed that volume sentence somehow.

Volume:
If the external amp/AVR has a volume knob, set it to at least 80% of maximum. Volume control of the speakers connected to this external amp will be made using the primary AVR as with the other speakers in the setup that are powered with the primary AVR's internal amps.
So I'll just set it to 100% (full, max) then.

Very best,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was working fine (except for switching issues), now it won't power on at all. No red lights, nothing. Changed Outlet, nothing. Insured cord was plugged in all the way and firm. Same at new outlet, nothing. The unit is less then a month old, bought it new from authorized reseller.

And.. before this happened, the switching issues were just ridiculous. Push CBLSAT button, it may change it may not.. push button for Apple TV, won't change.. ATV is on.. then swap to CBLSAT, then ATV comes on, then it blinks. Then i go to CBLSAT (Directv) it worked, woo-hoo, and watch that, then try to switch to BlueRay, it blinks and turns off the TV.. Then i turn the TV on and it turns off the receiver... this goes on and on.. its hard to believe that Denon is still in business based on this and the absolute worse support by an electronics company in history. If i cant resolve these issues, this is a return, and i will never, ever, buy a Denon product again in my life.

I had a Sony, same input/output configuration except i increased the number of speakers to 7.4 and needed a new receiver.

Any recommendations outside of Denon?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Marantz is probably Denon's closest rival, and easily accessible on the open market. Mind you, they are both owned by the same company. I'm sure others will be able to give you plenty of other options to choose from. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Turn off CEC and see if it helps but it sounds like you got a bad one. Return and replace, another of same should work as intended. Are you sure the batteries are seated correctly in the remote?

Edit:re-read the start, ye return for another or different brand. Pra-le usually dont have problems like that with Denon, my dad and sister both use denon and i have marantz, no issues like those. (I do turn off CEC at once though)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, if I can power it on, I’ll update that setting. Denon calls that HDMI Control..

It’s a new unit and I’m using the power on button on the unit..
will share any updates

·
Registered
76 Posts
Was curious is the 3700 and up can simultaneously output TV sound through a 5.1.4 speaker setup, and also send the same audio to a Heos 5 speaker in another room. I read something about TV sound grouping but wasn't sure if that is what it was stating that it does. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
91,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,333 ·
Was curious is the 3700 and up can simultaneously output TV sound through a 5.1.4 speaker setup, and also send the same audio to a Heos 5 speaker in another room. I read something about TV sound grouping but wasn't sure if that is what it was stating that it does. Thanks in advance.
Yes, but only if the HEOS 5 is grouped together (p. 115 Owner's manual) with the AVR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
UPDATE:
Even though this was a new unit, on a whim, i swapped power cords with my polk subwoofer and that was the issue..a bad power cord. The subwoofer wouldn't power up but the receiver did. A nice new thick Denon receiver power cord failed after a few weeks.. (in the cheaper models it isn't removable) ...

honestly, in my life i cant ever remember a power cord of this type fail after working a few weeks.. i must have 10-15 stashed in a box from old devices/computers, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
What do you guys use for external test tones that have atmos tones too? I have the Dolby demo discs but those seem to be mastered at -20 full bandwidth tones so with the master volume at 0 setting the trims to 85db is extremely loud and I don’t want to damage speakers.

I’ve resorted to setting front left to 75 db using a disc using -30db and band limited tones. Then going back to atmos tones and setting the master volume so that speaker also plays at 75 db and setting the rest from there. Usually that around -12 master volume.

there has to be a better way. Not using the internal tones since that bypasses audessey correction.
1. If the tones are -20dBFS and are unpleasantly loud, run them at -10 dB on the master volume and adjust the results by 10 dB. This is not a big deal.
2. If you think 85dB of band-limited pink noise signal is going to damage your speakers, then you either have extremely poorly made speakers or don't know how loud movies are actually meant to be played back.
3. If you think 85dB is so loud, why are you even worried about what "reference" is?

Reactions: wrathek

·
Registered
599 Posts
I get that all receivers can have hdmi handshake issues but my x4700h is pretty bad with frequent and consistent issues. I've never had this problem with my previous marantz, onkyo and even earlier denon models. That's why it's seems like a particular issue with this unit.
Did you upgrade your HDMI cables too? It could be that they're not up to the task.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have hooked up JBL E100 as fronts to my Denon 6700. During the Audyssey calibration I got a warning that the polarity on my left speaker is reversed. The funny thing is, having swapped the wires and re-running calibration, I still got the same message!
Did anyone else encounter the same issue? What could be a reason for this?
Yep - normal. Happens with my SVS Prime Pinnacles too: Audyssey MultEQ - Phase Error

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi, thanks, found it. I had missed that volume sentence somehow.

So I'll just set it to 100% (full, max) then.

Very best,
I'm sure there are lots of ways of doing this - but I don't like setting my external amp to full max. I run a calibration and see how Audyssey is modifying the level of the speakers on that amp... if it's turning them way down then I turn the volume up on the amp and also the opposite. So: I basically try to find a volume level on the amp where Audyssey doesn't feel the need to modify the level of those speakers much (a few db is fine).

Reactions: MalVeauX
8321 - 8340 of 8540 Posts