AVS Forum banner

8341 - 8360 of 8540 Posts

·
Premium Member
91,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,341 ·
I'm sure there are lots of ways of doing this - but I don't like setting my external amp to full max. I run a calibration and see how Audyssey is modifying the level of the speakers on that amp... if it's turning them way down then I turn the volume up on the amp and also the opposite. So: I basically try to find a volume level on the amp where Audyssey doesn't feel the need to modify the level of those speakers much (a few db is fine).
To each their own; however, some amps don't have a volume/gain adjustment capability and therefore are at 100%. On those that do, it's much easier to simply raise the volume to 80-100% and let the Audyssey process determine the proper volume level of the speaker/sub which as long as they are between 0 to -11dB is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Denon X2700H and a Samsung Q90T. The tv has 4 HDMI - 1 and 2 are ‘regular’, 3 supports eARC and 4 supports 4k/120hz but no ARC.

The question/issue I have is that I want to use the AVR to output video in 4k/120 using HDMI 4 on the tv, but since this port does not support ARC I can’t just use this port alone. Is it possible to connect another HDMI to the third port in order to output the audio using eARC? If not I would be stuck either just displaying 4k/60 or connecting some devices straight to the tv.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Thats probably the easiest fix there is lol. But incredibly unlucky, i have read about it before though but it wasnt a denon that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there!
I'm having an issue with a combination of a Denon x2700h, nvidia shield 2019 and kodi. Randomly, in a middle of a movie, the screen will go black while the sound will continue. To fix it, I have to switch my HDMI port on my Denon receiver and switch it back on to get the image back. Kodi is the only application that will do this issue, Netflix on the shield, the PS5, the PS4 and even the Switch doesn't have this problem. I also found out that the issue will only be there when the option "adjust display refresh rate" is on, on start/stop. It's very random, sometimes after 30 minutes, sometimes after 45 minutes.

The issue is definitely in the Denon receiver as when this happens, I'm losing the control over the receiver. To fix this, I need to put the option "adjust display refresh rate" to off in Kodi and run my movies in 4k60, which is not ideal.

My setup:
nvidia shield pro 2019 plugged in my Denon 2700h (4k input) to a Sony X900H.

Any suggestions or workaround? Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
So, I have a 6700, if I wanted to make Preset 1 FH + RH and Preset 2 TF + TR, would I have to run separate Audyssey EQ for each preset or is it okay just to change the AMP config for each preset with the same Audyssey EQ?
Are you using the exact same speakers in both cases and it's just a question of how they are assigned? If so, you can do this with some editing. Check out the Ratbuddyssey thread (see a post I made a few months ago Announcing ratbuddyssey - a tool for tweaking Audyssey... that gives you the information you need to view/edit the data coming out of the Audyssey app. I have a 5.1.2 system and originally configured the tops as TR but wanted to change them to TM (and didn't want to have to re-run Audyssey). I was pretty easily able to make a copy of the TR settings and make them TM (essentially telling Audyssey I had both), and then I can use Amp Assign to swap back and forth. At some point I'll do a proper comparison, but at the moment I'm happy with TM. So in your case, you can have the exact same Audyssey profile for each (with both settings) and change your Amp Assign, and it will simply ignore the extra data. Give it a try and see if it works for you...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Denon X2700H and a Samsung Q90T. The tv has 4 HDMI - 1 and 2 are ‘regular’, 3 supports eARC and 4 supports 4k/120hz but no ARC.

The question/issue I have is that I want to use the AVR to output video in 4k/120 using HDMI 4 on the tv, but since this port does not support ARC I can’t just use this port alone. Is it possible to connect another HDMI to the third port in order to output the audio using eARC? If not I would be stuck either just displaying 4k/60 or connecting some devices straight to the tv.

You should be able to do that, havent you tried it?

Denon Monitor 1 out should go into your HDMI3 of your TV and Monitor2 out goes into HDMI4 for 4k/120Hz

·
Registered
3 Posts

Denon Monitor 1 out should go into your HDMI3 of your TV and Monitor2 out goes into HDMI4 for 4k/120Hz
Thanks! I haven’t tried yet because I don’t have the spare HDMI. Nice to know that this should work so I can buy the extra cable.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
1. If the tones are -20dBFS and are unpleasantly loud, run them at -10 dB on the master volume and adjust the results by 10 dB. This is not a big deal.
2. If you think 85dB of band-limited pink noise signal is going to damage your speakers, then you either have extremely poorly made speakers or don't know how loud movies are actually meant to be played back.
3. If you think 85dB is so loud, why are you even worried about what "reference" is?

1) In theory yes, -10db own the master but seems more like -13db as I'm guessing the volume control isn't 100% accurate.

2) I think the Atmos demo disks are not band-limited...and even so you may be right and it may be fine in terms of damage but it is damn loud to even set the trims. I'm well aware of what reference volume movies are played back....most do not run reference in their homes.

3) Because that is the correct way to set trims, even if you aren't running at reference.

Question is more what people are using as an external source for Atmos test tones. Are there any that are -30db band limited?

·
Registered
187 Posts
After a few fits and starts, I have my denon 3700 set up and going. I’m still fiddling with the setting after running audyssey and have a couple of questions.

First, where is the best place to adjust the center and sub (both which are a little low). Seems I can do it in the manual settings in audyssey or there are specific setting for each of these under audio. Make any difference where?

Second, what is loudness manganent? It’s on by default. As I toggle it, sound is softer when on.

Thnaks..

·
Registered
392 Posts
After a few fits and starts, I have my denon 3700 set up and going. I’m still fiddling with the setting after running audyssey and have a couple of questions.

First, where is the best place to adjust the center and sub (both which are a little low). Seems I can do it in the manual settings in audyssey or there are specific setting for each of these under audio. Make any difference where?

Second, what is loudness manganent? It’s on by default. As I toggle it, sound is softer when on.

Thnaks..
1. The best place to do this is under the latter you mentioned, the Center Level Adjust/Subwoofer Level Adjust. From what I understand, it is essentially the same as doing so in the manual settings, just more convenient (but I could be wrong). I know from the CLA/SLA menu they are universal (the trim adjustments apply to all sound modes & inputs).

2. Loudness management is specific to Dolby Digital formats, and it's just a range compression algorithm. It is "supposed" to even out the dynamic range of a soundtrack, especially for when listening at very low volume levels. I typically turn it off, but give it a whirl when listening to a DD+/TrueHD/Atmos track and see which way you prefer it.

Reactions: droopdog7

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
1) In theory yes, -10db own the master but seems more like -13db as I'm guessing the volume control isn't 100% accurate.

2) I think the Atmos demo disks are not band-limited...and even so you may be right and it may be fine in terms of damage but it is damn loud to even set the trims. I'm well aware of what reference volume movies are played back....most do not run reference in their homes.

3) Because that is the correct way to set trims, even if you aren't running at reference.

Question is more what people are using as an external source for Atmos test tones. Are there any that are -30db band limited?
Please provide measurements or other real world data to support your guess that the volume control in off by -3dB for these products. This statement needs backup.

As a hint, measurements by others do not indicate such inaccuracies, so you need to backup your claim.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Please provide measurements or other real world data to support your guess that the volume control in off by -3dB for these products. This statement needs backup.

As a hint, measurements by others do not indicate such inaccuracies, so you need to backup your claim.

Here is what I did.

I used the Spears and Munsil disc to set FL to 75db with Master Volume at 0. That disc is mastered at -30. Then used the tones on the Atmos demo disc, checking FL. To get FL to play at 75db, -10 on the Master Volume was still too hot.

Again, my main question is really what source disc are people here using to set their trim levels instead of the AVR since Audyssey is disabled for those and you want to account for that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there!
I'm having an issue with a combination of a Denon x2700h, nvidia shield 2019 and kodi. Randomly, in a middle of a movie, the screen will go black while the sound will continue. To fix it, I have to switch my HDMI port on my Denon receiver and switch it back on to get the image back. Kodi is the only application that will do this issue, Netflix on the shield, the PS5, the PS4 and even the Switch doesn't have this problem. I also found out that the issue will only be there when the option "adjust display refresh rate" is on, on start/stop. It's very random, sometimes after 30 minutes, sometimes after 45 minutes.
Any suggestions or workaround? Thanks for the help :)
It might help to use the setting where Kodi changes refresh rate one time at the start of a file and not continuously. Or is it already on this setting? My 4700H on a 2017 Shield TV with Kodi doesn't show this behaviour on 24, 30 or 60 Hz files.
Also, what are the frame rate settings on the AVR and TV? Does your 2700H just pass through video, or are image enhancements activated?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I managed to get this working, somewhat. I only managed to get the video from monitor 2 if I specify monitor 2 in HDMI setup video output setting to monitor 2. This works perfectly. However, going back to my tv applications like Netflix causes the audio to cut every 30 seconds and sometimes gives the message that the audio source is connected to an output that does not support ARC (HDMI 4),managed to fix this by changing the video output setting to monitor 1, forcing it to use HDMI 3 (eARC). But then again this does not have the 4k/120 from HDMI 4. How do I fix this problem so I use monitor2 (HDMI 4) for video and monitor 1 (HDMI 3) for audio (when using the tv applications)?
Just to add: setting the output to Auto always uses HDMI 3 / monitor 1 resulting in 60hz, somehow without HDR enabled. But then the audio does work for the tv.

·
Vendor
29,920 Posts
Marantz is probably Denon's closest rival, and easily accessible on the open market. Mind you, they are both owned by the same company. I'm sure others will be able to give you plenty of other options to choose from. Good luck.
Yamaha makes a good line, but they passed on their new top end units for 2020,hopefully they release them this year. Not sure what Pioneer is doing, they make a great product. I would never buy an Onkyo again, had to many HDMI board issues.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Thnaks..
You can increase db of both in the settings menu.

Also, I came across a center channel enhance setting today.
I can't find it in the manual now but the Denon has a feature to broaden the sound for center channels.
My center is not very large so I turned it on.
Seems to help but it's difficult to quantify the change.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Messing with the audyssey this afternoon.
Figured out I did not match my sub volumes correctly when I calibrated before.
Now both are at 75db (seems kind of low?). That's a really neat feature and my first time to run 2 subs.

Also, changed my 7.2.4 preset 2 to account for Auro 3-D.
Auro 3D would not turn on previously.
Using my ceiling 4 ch as Front High and Top Middle instead on preset 2.

Does everyone mostly use Auro 3-D for music or also for movies?
It's sounds great with the HEOS music app streaming SiriusXM.

·
Premium Member
91,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,360 ·
Messing with the audyssey this afternoon.
Figured out I did not match my sub volumes correctly when I calibrated before.
Now both are at 75db (seems kind of low?). That's a really neat feature and my first time to run 2 subs.

Also, changed my 7.2.4 preset 2 to account for Auro 3-D.
Auro 3D would not turn on previously.
Using my ceiling 4 ch as Front High and Top Middle instead on preset 2.

Does everyone mostly use Auro 3-D for music or also for movies?
It's sounds great with the HEOS music app streaming SiriusXM.
Top Middle is not a valid configuration for Auro 3D, rather only Front Height + Surround or Rear Height.

The vast majority of members have reported using it primarily with 2CH music sources since its initial release 7 years ago on Denon/Marantz models.

8341 - 8360 of 8540 Posts