AVS Forum banner
8361 - 8380 of 9784 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have a question about the video signal of the 3700h: I have a Bell 4K PVR, connected HDMI (high quality 8k cable) to the receiver. On the receiver Info display, the input of the pvr is 4k60, ycbcr 4:2:0, bt2020 10bits. I was able to have the video displayed sometimes, that's why I know it's 10 bits, from the Info display. Then now the receiver isn't able to display video when in Enhanced mode, only in Standard. But in the manual, Standard mode with 4:2:0 10 bits is NOT checked, so in Standard mode the pvr gives 8 bits only. It's like the receiver isn't able to detect the pvr's HDMI 10 bits signal...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Top Middle is not a valid configuration for Auro 3D, rather only Front Height + Surround or Rear Height.

The vast majority of members have reported using it primarily with 2CH music sources since its initial release 7 years ago on Denon/Marantz models.
According to my denon choices, it is.
I do like the richer sound it brings to music.

Reactions: Paulo72

·
Registered
2 Posts
At the very least you should get white noise when selecting AM. If you're not hearing anything when manually selecting your local FM stations, then refer to post #5 and do a "Restart". If still no joy, then back up your settings to a USB thumb drive and do a "Microprocessor reset."
Thanks for the reply...I've been playing and noticed that on FM, only 1 station comes in with white noise...does that mean there really isn't a problem other than reception? This replaces an Onkyo that never had a problem, nor a yamaha before that. I don't live out in the country where reception is a problem. I didn't do the microprocessor reset yet if it sounds like a reception problem.

·
Premium Member
92,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,364 ·
Thanks for the reply...I've been playing and noticed that on FM, only 1 station comes in with white noise...does that mean there really isn't a problem other than reception? This replaces an Onkyo that never had a problem, nor a yamaha before that. I don't live out in the country where reception is a problem. I didn't do the microprocessor reset yet if it sounds like a reception problem.
If it's a reception problem, then consider purchasing an amplified AM/FM antenna.

·
Premium Member
92,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,365 ·
According to my denon choices, it is.
I do like the richer sound it brings to music.
No doubt you can select Top Middle in the AMP ASSIGN setting (as this has nothing to do with the surround modes); however, when you then select Auro 3D or AuroMatic, you'll note that only the Front Height speaker icon is active, not the Top Middle, as this is not an allowable Auro 3D configuration.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Which sound mode do people like best for music? Much of the time I stay in stereo but it’s obviously not as full as other options. Multi stereo is a bit too much and Matrix mode seems about the same. Still trying to figure out the other options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Which sound mode do people like best for music? Much of the time I stay in stereo but it’s obviously not as full as other options. Multi stereo is a bit too much and Matrix mode seems about the same. Still trying to figure out the other options.
Usually stereo, but Auro engages the center speaker without too much artificiality in the sound. Depending on the type of listening, I switch between these two.

·
Premium Member
92,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,368 ·
Some prefer using AuroMatic over Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X on those models that feature Auro 3D (ie. X4700H, X6700H).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have 4 front speakers, so obviously, I would prefer multi-ch stereo! :D

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Just realized you can’t upgrade rhe 3700 to aura3d but you can my old 4200!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Got a new receiver and plugged all my devices in and everything except the Blu-ray (Sony bpd-s770) working fine. When I plugged it, the screen was actually pink. Tried a bunch of setting and cables and finally fixed that issue by changing a setting with color setting from auto ryg (or something like that).

Now that I’m passed that, I get no sound. The screen on my denon 3700 says stereo no matter what audio setting I change on the Blu-ray or the receiver. I think I’ve tried everything on both and also changed the cable and checked the firmware’s.

Any idea what it could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just realized you can’t upgrade rhe 3700 to aura3d but you can my old 4200!!!

Your previous AVR was a 4-series, which I believe has always been the lowest level that supports auro3d. That said, on the 4700+, it is included, and not a paid upgrade anymore.

·
Registered
22,246 Posts
Got a new receiver and plugged all my devices in and everything except the Blu-ray (Sony bpd-s770) working fine. When I plugged it, the screen was actually pink. Tried a bunch of setting and cables and finally fixed that issue by changing a setting with color setting from auto ryg (or something like that).

Now that I’m passed that, I get no sound. The screen on my denon 3700 says stereo no matter what audio setting I change on the Blu-ray or the receiver. I think I’ve tried everything on both and also changed the cable and checked the firmware’s.

Any idea what it could be? Thanks.
How's it connected?
HDMI only?
Optical?
Coax?
Directly from player to AVR?
From player to TV, then to AVR?
;)

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Your previous AVR was a 4-series, which I believe has always been the lowest level that supports auro3d. That said, on the 4700+, it is included, and not a paid upgrade anymore.
Yeah functionally the 3700 is like the 6200 with 9 amps! But I guess the 4 series is exclusive. Damn. Almost wishes I spent extra abs the hdmi front port!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Anybody successfully use anything like an Aircom component cooler (example: t10 17" front exhaust model) to cool their 2020 Denon?

I'm going to be able to take advantage of full pre-amp disconnect mode, but it sounds like that doesn't reduce the heat generation by much... my setup does not have full recommended ventilation (probably about 1" to either side and about 2.5" above), but the front is completely open to the room and there's a fair sized opening vent to the rear and a couple feet worth of space to the back wall behind it... obviously considering taking advantage of that front-or-rear space and venting the top to either the front or back using one of these rigs. Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anybody successfully use anything like an Aircom component cooler (example: t10 17" front exhaust model) to cool their 2020 Denon?
I use an AC Infinity Multifan S2 single 120mm rearward exhaust fan on my X4700H. It's placed inside a cabinet with closed sides, front and top with an opening to the back. There is approximately 4" of space on the top and 2.5" on the sides. The fan is on the medium speed setting and keeps the receiver cool (lukewarm to the touch).
I bought an extra set of two 120mm fans because of the reputation of these receivers for running hot. Haven't felt the need to install them though, since the receiver never gets hot.
Caveat: It's connected to a 1080p tv and the video signal is untouched by the receiver (switching and audio extraction only, no upscaling). It's the video chipset that runs hot. I also only have 5 speaker and a subwoofer connected: Dali Rubicon 2 fronts (4 Ohm 87 dB sensitivity), Dali Opticon Vokal center (4 Ohm 89.5 dB) and Dali Alteco C1 rears (6 Ohm 83 dB). The room is medium sized (16ft. by 25 ft.) and I listen at medium levels and sometimes moderately loud (but not party level loud). Front and center are crossed over at 60 Hz and rears at 100 Hz.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For AVR-S960H (and in general), I searched for info on the "Video Mode" setting but the results I can find do not provide much in the way of 'documentation'. (The Denon documentation does not definitively answer this.)

If Video Mode is set to Auto, but the i/p Scaler is disabled, is any image processing taking place other than allowing for OSD/volume overlay? If so, what else could it possibly be doing, since the i/p Scaler is disabled?

I've seen a variety of posts where people are adamant that setting Video Mode to Bypass "looks so much better". It seems to me that with it set to Auto but the i/p Scaler disabled, then there should be no discernible difference in the image (but still allow OSD/volume overlay), but I have no definitive way to 'prove' that.

Any help or ability to point me in the direction of an authoritative answer to this is greatly appreciated!

·
Vendor
31,302 Posts
I always use stereo for music.

·
Premium Member
92,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,380 ·
For AVR-S960H (and in general), I searched for info on the "Video Mode" setting but the results I can find do not provide much in the way of 'documentation'. (The Denon documentation does not definitively answer this.)

If Video Mode is set to Auto, but the i/p Scaler is disabled, is any image processing taking place other than allowing for OSD/volume overlay? If so, what else could it possibly be doing, since the i/p Scaler is disabled?

I've seen a variety of posts where people are adamant that setting Video Mode to Bypass "looks so much better". It seems to me that with it set to Auto but the i/p Scaler disabled, then there should be no discernible difference in the image (but still allow OSD/volume overlay), but I have no definitive way to 'prove' that.

Any help or ability to point me in the direction of an authoritative answer to this is greatly appreciated!
Better for you to be the judge, although most will likely say no discernable difference.

8361 - 8380 of 9784 Posts