AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 2423 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yes. However, the new X6700H is the only 2020 model that can expand to 13 channels. Refer to p. 65 and p. 72 in the Owner's manual.

Sweet! Thanks for the quick reply. The next thing I am most interested in is how the dynamic tone mapping for HDR will work especially for those of using projectors. If it provides effective DTM for those of using older HDR projectors like my JVC X550R this could really be a must have. I was just bragging on the Pioneer Elite SC-95 thread how happy I still am with my AVR and now this thing drops...

·
Premium Member
87,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Out of all of those, since I don't plan on going above 5.1.2 for another few years to come, would the AVR-X2700H make the most sense for me at least?
This type of question is often posted in these threads and the answer is always the same .... decide what features/inputs/outputs you require and determine your budget and after reviewing post 1 make your decision as to the lowest model that meets those requirements. The jump from MultEQ XT (X2700H) to XT32 (X3700H) is quite significant (audio quality wise) but IMHO not the $350 MSRP difference if that is the only additional feature you can take advantage of on the X3700H.

·
Just this guy, you know?
20 Posts
I've been a Denon owner for years (3808ci was my first, IIRC), but I've never tried to get one at launch. Is their website the best way to go, or are there some recommended vendors, or just a FFA and look everywhere? ;)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
From the Audioholics Denon Press Event today:
They said the other 8 inputs will support QFT and VRR -- so that's good news!

See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUP4nK8f-_E
It definitely is! Though for consoles or a PC ill want that in a port which can do higher bandwidth for 4K120. My plan is to keep my X3400H which is working fine via eARC with my CX and then use the LG CX as the HDMI switcher so to speak.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Specifics of "Pure" preamp mode

The pure preamp mode offers some real advantages. Here is a question:

What exacting is happening in pure preamp mode? Two alternative implementations seem to be proposed although I may be reading too much into the text.

Alternative 1) Audioholics (https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-x-series)

..."preamp mode" that physically disconnects the signal path to the amplifiers for those wanting to use their receivers as a dedicated preamp by connecting external amplification. Denon is the first company to" offer this feature.

Alternative 2) Denon X6700H User Manual (Page 80)

"Set “Assign Mode” to “Pre Amplifier”, "This stops operation of the internal power amplifier of this unit, reducing interference in the pre amplifier created by the power amplifier."

Alternative 1 would use CMOS switches in the X6700H to cutoff the signal from the preamps to the power amplifiers. This eliminates the distortion in the preamp circuit when the power amplifier clips. The power amplifiers would still be powered however, and would generate heat and use electric power.

This option requires the appropriate CMOS switches to be in place. Not big deal.

Alternative 2 would likely use a relay after the power transformer in the electric supply to the power amplifier modules to cut power to the output modules, if this is what is meant by stops operation. In a typical Denon AVR there is such a relay that switches between normal operation (full rail voltage) and Eco mode, (reduced rail voltage resulting in reduced heat and power usage, and less power output. The new relay would just have a third position where electric power was not supplied to the power amplifier stages. This method appears to solve the issue with power amplifier clipping and also greatly reduce power usage by the unit and heat generated by the unit. It appears to be the preferred option.

This option requires a change to a different relay, which again isn't a big deal.

So! Which option has been implemented or has some third option been implemented? Implementation of both options above would be even better.

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
543 Posts
What exacting is happening in pure preamp mode?
Yeah, they didn't say a lot about the specifics in the audioholics interview, but toward the end, the host did say something along the lines of "The Denon engineers just informed me that it does go into Eco mode automatically when preamp mode is engaged." That doesn't really answer your question, but maybe you missed that line, since it came after they had moved on to other things.

Reactions: dfa973

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
I think Bluetooth headphone use will make one of these have a better WAF for me. Movies and TV on my Sony 1000-XM3 will be pretty cool late at night or even better when the wife and kid won’t STFU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appears to be only one BT headphone connection supported- ought to be 2 allowed with common BT versions floating around nowadays- my years old BT headphones connect to both my Android phone and iPhone at the same time.

Moving forwards, new BT versions will enable a new "broadcast" mode, ie "infinite" number of BT headphones could connect to a transmitter- of course receiver/headphones would need to support broadcast mode (ie no "Pairing") connection, too. Shakers on the seats and good quality Dolby Headphone/HRTF surround encoding, and we finally have a good "silent" theater solution when & where needed.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I wonder what the Bluetooth spec is. I don’t see in the details or specs. I would hope it’s BT 5.0. Although my Sony’s aren’t 5.0.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you are using both an external Amp and the AVR to power speakers the preamp mode will not work. Is this correct?

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
543 Posts
If you are using both an external Amp and the AVR to power speakers the preamp mode will not work. Is this correct?
Correct, it is all or none on disabling the internal amps.

·
Premium Member
87,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I wonder what the Bluetooth spec is. I don’t see in the details or specs. I would hope it’s BT 5.0. Although my Sony’s aren’t 5.0.

The X6700H Owner's manual indicates Bluetooth Version 4.2.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Correct, it is all or none on disabling the internal amps.
So it looks like in some cases one would have to decide if adding another external amp
To use the preamp mode would be worth it

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Yeah, they didn't say a lot about the specifics in the audioholics interview, but toward the end, the host did say something along the lines of "The Denon engineers just informed me that it does go into Eco mode automatically when preamp mode is engaged." That doesn't really answer your question, but maybe you missed that line, since it came after they had moved on to other things.

That is interesting. It implies that the preamp signals to the power amplifier channels are blocked. Since the power amplifiers aren't in use, Eco mode is being used to minimize power consumption and heat. Very likely you've provided the answer. Thanks.

It would be nice if the rail voltages were just reduced to zero instead of reduced under ECO mode (never satisfied), but still the power usage and heat output will be reduced.

The preamp output mode is a nice win for these products IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Headphone Jack?

Given the limitations of Bluetooth audio, does the x6500H have a standard headphone jack? All of the links to its' user manual have given me a "file not found" error.

·
Premium Member
87,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
So it looks like in some cases one would have to decide if adding another external amp
To use the preamp mode would be worth it
Just to clarify ... unless you are using all external amps for every speaker in your setup, the Pre-Amp mode would not be used.

Otherwise, the pre-outs are always hot and you would simply use an external amp for just some of the speakers.

Also important to note, that the only time the Pre-Out setting must be completed on the AMP ASSIGN page, is to identify the two speakers that are being externally amped to expand the AVR from either 9CH --> 11CH (X3700H/X4700H) or from 11CH --> 13 CH (X6700H).

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Given the limitations of Bluetooth audio, does the x6500H have a standard headphone jack? All of the links to its' user manual have given me a "file not found" error.

The download from this link takes a bit of time, but just worked for me. It initially it appeared nothing will happen, but ultimately the manual downloaded. Set the window aside and after a minute or so you'll have the manual in .pdf format. Tried it twice and it worked both times.

http://downloads.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr-x6700he3_eng_pdf_im_v00.pdf

101 - 120 of 2423 Posts