AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 2677 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sound United has just confirmed that the feature to allow DTS Neural:X to be used on DD (that was removed from the 2019 models but will be restored with an October 2020 firmware update) will be available on these 2020 models out of the box.

Was there anything about DTS:X Pro being made available?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
So it looks like in some cases one would have to decide if adding another external amp
To use the preamp mode would be worth it
Just to clarify ... unless you are using all external amps for every speaker in your setup, the Pre-Amp mode would not be used.

Otherwise, the pre-outs are always hot and you would simply use an external amp for just some of the speakers.

Also important to note, that the only time the Pre-Out setting must be completed on the AMP ASSIGN page, is to identify the two speakers that are being externally amped to expand the AVR from either 9CH --> 11CH (X3700H/X4700H) or from 11CH --> 13 CH (X6700H).

Hopefully (always a bad word) in a future product the all Preamp mode will be refined to allow the power amplifiers to be "disconnected" from the preamp channels, channel-by-channel. This would not be difficult to implement using the CMOS switches used by Denon. The hardware, switches and specific connections, would need to be in place however, so an upgrade to these products is VERY unlikely at best.

·
Registered
944 Posts
i've got a super old Denon 4308ci now and have the mains hooked up to Rotel RB990 powering B&W 703s1 and i can tell you when i switch back and forth between internal vs external amps is a huge night/day difference for me.

not just about 'loud', it's about huge head-room. i've always heard people talk about it and briefly listened to demos at friend's homes... but until you have lived with it you dont really understand what headroom/dynamic the music/sound will until you have one. also the huge amount of details of the soundstage the breadth and width is super amazing. especially recordings that took place in a church or somewhere with amazing acoustics those things feel totally live with ext. vs. internal amps. those (to me) are the ones with the largest differences.

i'm super happy with my setup. it's just a whole never level. now i dont have any externals on all the other channels, but i do watch a fair amount of movies. i have to imagine centers/surrounds would benefit as well especially during somn like Roma film.

i can always test it by hooking up those channels through my amp, haven't had time to experiment with it much yet.

but ext amp is (for me) the way to go if you can afford it and if possible.

What difference will you really see/hear if I’m running a X6500H without vs with external amps and some so so speakers and never all that loud?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hopefully (always a bad word) in a future product the all Preamp mode will be refined to allow the power amplifiers to be "disconnected" from the preamp channels, channel-by-channel. This would not be difficult to implement using the CMOS switches used by Denon. The hardware, switches and specific connections, would need to be in place however, so an upgrade to these products is VERY unlikely at best.
i think it's just due to price. these are 'nice' to have features but these are not dedicated AVR/processors... that's where you pay the big bucks for special circuitry like that.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
How long until they typically release the Marantz pre-pro version? This may be time to replace my 8802a. Im ready... I just picked up some new Denon 150's (attached to a new 1710 I bought) to use with Heos in my new house.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
i think it's just due to price. these are 'nice' to have features but these are not dedicated AVR/processors... that's where you pay the big bucks for special circuitry like that.

Perhaps someone wants to charge more, but the cost would be minimal.

Perhaps one more CMOS switch would be required, perhaps only circuit board routing changes would be required. The CMOS 7-in, 3-out switch used by D/M is the NJU NJU72750. Digi-key quotes $2.15 each, quality 1,000. Likely this switch is less in Japan where they are made. While changes cost money, circuit board traces are essentially free.

I'm frankly amazed at what is offered in these new AVR's for a minimal increase in price. Certainly the next generation AV8805, AV7705, SR8012 and X8500H will have to offer something special to compete effectively - that is really good news.

For example, an AV8805 that works right out of the box, and offers performance and features that compete effectively (dumps the HDAM's and has a better layout for starters) with the current mediocre, buggy, and expensive, generation of 16-channel AVP's would be wonderful.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Perhaps someone wants to charge more, but the cost would be minimal.

Perhaps one more CMOS switch would be required, perhaps only circuit board routing changes would be required. The CMOS 7-in, 3-out switch used by D/M is the NJU NJU72750. Digi-key quotes $2.15 each, quality 1,000. Likely this switch is less in Japan where they are made. While changes cost money, circuit board traces are essentially free.

I'm frankly amazed at what is offered in these new AVR's for a minimal increase in price. Certainly the next generation AV8805, AV7705, SR8012 and X8500H will have to offer something special to compete effectively - that is really good news.

For example, an AV8805 that works right out of the box, and offers performance and features that compete effectively (dumps the HDAM's and has a better layout for starters) with the current mediocre, buggy, and expensive, generation of 16-channel AVP's would be wonderful.
it's that whole thing of if you can bring that feature down to something that costs $1,000, why would anyone else pay for a higher price AVR at $4,000? right? there's got to be some features that are distinguished at the higher priced models or else everyone would just purchase the 3700.

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
557 Posts
DTS:X Pro will come to both the 6700 and the 8500 in a future firmware. In post 1, JD says December.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i've got a super old Denon 4308ci now and have the mains hooked up to Rotel RB990 powering B&W 703s1 and i can tell you when i switch back and forth between internal vs external amps is a huge night/day difference for me.

not just about 'loud', it's about huge head-room. i've always heard people talk about it and briefly listened to demos at friend's homes... but until you have lived with it you dont really understand what headroom/dynamic the music/sound will until you have one. also the huge amount of details of the soundstage the breadth and width is super amazing. especially recordings that took place in a church or somewhere with amazing acoustics those things feel totally live with ext. vs. internal amps. those (to me) are the ones with the largest differences.

i'm super happy with my setup. it's just a whole never level. now i dont have any externals on all the other channels, but i do watch a fair amount of movies. i have to imagine centers/surrounds would benefit as well especially during somn like Roma film.

i can always test it by hooking up those channels through my amp, haven't had time to experiment with it much yet.

but ext amp is (for me) the way to go if you can afford it and if possible.
It would be nice to hear an in house A/B switch demo. I just don't think my speakers are big enough and when I got the X6500H I could not tell any real difference between it and the Onkyo NR5010 it replaced. Just Googling I read some guy talking about Onkyo and Yamaha being bright and a bit sterile sounding. Another said the Yamaha was fatiguing to listen too. ??? Even the internal settings that do make a difference take too long to switch and it’s hard to recall if one setting was really better through a section of a film. Oh well. Yeah, for me most of the headroom, soundstage and super amazing type reviews on AV equipment leave me wondering. Like the guys talking about wine with just a hint of oak. :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
It would be nice to hear an in house A/B switch demo. I just don't think my speakers are big enough and when I got the X6500H I could not tell any real difference between it and the Onkyo NR5010 it replaced. Just Googling I read some guy talking about Onkyo and Yamaha being bright and a bit sterile sounding. Another said the Yamaha was fatiguing to listen too. ??? Even the internal settings that do make a difference take too long to switch and it’s hard to recall if one setting was really better through a section of a film. Oh well. Yeah, for me most of the headroom, soundstage and super amazing type reviews on AV equipment leave me wondering. Like the guys talking about wine with just a hint of oak. :)
the way written audio reviews, it can sound like audio cable reviews (hahaha let's not go down taht path), but for me the proof was in the pudding. i read many reviews, but until i got equipment into my place and lived with it, i didn't understand what all those words mean :). now i know.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
The download from this link takes a bit of time, but just worked for me. It initially it appeared nothing will happen, but ultimately the manual downloaded. Set the window aside and after a minute or so you'll have the manual in .pdf format. Tried it twice and it worked both times.

http://downloads.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr-x6700he3_eng_pdf_im_v00.pdf
I just clicked on the link and had the manual downloaded in 20 seconds, 351 pages. Link definitely works :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Long ago replaced by Internet radio TuneIn likely never to return again.
Interesting, I've just now read up on TuneIn. It's nice, but some of the local radio stations I listen to aren't on it.

Anyway, there's a local electronics store that is allowing me to purchase a Yamaha RX-A680 and return it once they get stock of the AVR-X2700H. The X2600H is going to back to Best Buy tomorrow (I still have 10 days to return it) so I can pickup that RX-A680 to use temporarily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The download from this link takes a bit of time, but just worked for me. It initially it appeared nothing will happen, but ultimately the manual downloaded. Set the window aside and after a minute or so you'll have the manual in .pdf format. Tried it twice and it worked both times.

Thanks. That worked. Diagram shows a headphone jack behind the front panel.

·
Premium Member
88,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
How long until they typically release the Marantz pre-pro version? This may be time to replace my 8802a. Im ready... I just picked up some new Denon 150's (attached to a new 1710 I bought) to use with Heos in my new house.
The AV7706 should be released later this fall and the AV8805A (w/HDMI 2.1 board upgrade) won't likely be available until Winter/early 2021.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For anyone curious I have a 2019 Denon S750H which I got for $200 a few months ago. It has eARC and HDMI 2.1 functionality and I’ve had no issues using eARC from an LG B9 on any of the internal apps and getting DTS and Dolby Atmos with no issues. I’ve ran my Xbox one into my TV and gotten Dolby Atmos out to the receiver as well.

everything works ok when watching movies with the console? im asking because i want to buy either a c9 or cx with anew console and use it with a denon 4500 via earc

·
Registered
50 Posts
The AVR's only have a "limited" HDMI 2.1 with 40 Gbps??? Not support 4K HDR 120, 12 Bit 4:4:4... :mad::confused:

I considering upgrade my x3400h to 3700h, but i have One doubt with HDMI 2.1 40Gbps ports inside the new Denon.. If in a future, i connect one device or PC at 4K HDR 120 12 Bit 4:4:4 directly on C9, and the C9 eARC to 3700h, this resolucion at 48Gbps will does work? instead of connecting this PC in the future directly to the AVR (since it doesn't support 48 GBps).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
88,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
The AVR's only have a "limited" HDMI 2.1 with 40 Gbps??? Not support 4K HDR 120, 12 Bit 4:4:4... :mad::confused:

I considering upgrade my x3400h to 3700h, but i have One doubt with HDMI 2.1 40Gbps ports inside the new Denon.. If in a future, i connect one device or PC at 4K HDR 120 12 Bit 4:4:4 directly on C9, and the C9 eARC to 3700h, this resolucion at 48Gbps will does work? instead of connecting this PC in the future directly to the AVR (since it doesn't support 48 GBps).

Thanks!
The 40Gbps number is more likely to be the number the industry adopts at large vs the 48Gbps initial target.

The best TVs on the market, the 2020 LG CX 9 series OLEDs just released with 40Gbps ports.

The Xbox One X and PS5 are going to be 40Gbps maximum.

This is being discussed in more detail the last few days in the following thread ---> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3061882-where-all-hdmi-2-1-avrs.html

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts

Thanks!
Panels are still 10 bit lol.

Next, by the time your PC can do 4k120 and at very high or even max quality PQ settings, it's time to upgrade the receiver again.

121 - 140 of 2677 Posts