AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
How do you like the SR8015 compared to the X6700H?
If this might help, I can't say about the X6700H but it's a marked improvement over the X6300H that I upgraded from.

Reactions: RarityAVS

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yeah, it's fun not being able to sell a single receiver.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
If this might help, I can't say about the X6700H but it's a marked improvement over the X6300H that I upgraded from.
So I compared the X4700 and X3700 against the SR7015, and I thought the SR7015 was slightly better across the board except the highs, which I felt were “smeared” some. Essentially cymbals didn’t have the same definition compared to the Denon which was a bit disappointing for my taste. Notice this at all with the SR8015 compared to your Denon? The one time I heard the SR8015, I would say it’s a much different sound signature compared to the SR7015. I just didn’t have time to listen to a lot of different tracks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
HAs anyone experienced a bug I think I've found with the SR8015. So I have a 9.2.4 set up with front height and top middle speakers. I've configured the FL and FR as preout so FWL and FWR are driven by the SR8015. All speakers are connected correctly and work fine. I've set up with Audyssey and all speakers work fine. I've used the Audyssey app to calibrate into profile 2. Today I did a new calibration, and I've done this via the app and the unit itself and saving to Preset 1, no matter what I do it isn't playing sound via the FW channels. On at least one occassion, the chirping during the calibration didn't emit from these channels, but even when they do after finalising and playing normal material no sound is coming from the FW channels. If I change to preset 2, which was confirgured some time ago, all is fine. Anyone seen this behaviour? What is the solution? Factory reset?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The one time I heard the SR8015, I would say it’s a much different sound signature compared to the SR7015. I just didn’t have time to listen to a lot of different tracks.
Probably because compared to the others it's built in Japan, has redesigned HDAMs, toroidal transformer and a monolithic amp design. It's a whole other beast!

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
HAs anyone experienced a bug I think I've found with the SR8015. So I have a 9.2.4 set up with front height and top middle speakers. I've configured the FL and FR as preout so FWL and FWR are driven by the SR8015. All speakers are connected correctly and work fine. I've set up with Audyssey and all speakers work fine. I've used the Audyssey app to calibrate into profile 2. Today I did a new calibration, and I've done this via the app and the unit itself and saving to Preset 1, no matter what I do it isn't playing sound via the FW channels. On at least one occassion, the chirping during the calibration didn't emit from these channels, but even when they do after finalising and playing normal material no sound is coming from the FW channels. If I change to preset 2, which was confirgured some time ago, all is fine. Anyone seen this behaviour? What is the solution? Factory reset?
Important to remember that until the DTS:X Pro update is released, DTS:X and DTS Neural:X audio is limited to 7.2.4.

·
Early Adopter
74 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I did a comparison earlier in this thread: --> Keep Denon X6700H or buy Marantz SR8015

Because there is so much expectation bias here, there is so little objective feedback to be had.
But it did seem like the SR8015 whispered to me "I'm the one".
Thank you, I did read this. Also anyone know if the SR8015 uses HDAMs on the chip or does it have modules like on the AV8805, etc. I don’t see the modules in the SR8015.

·
Early Adopter
74 Posts
Thank you, I did read this. Also anyone know if the SR8015 uses HDAMs on the chip or does it have modules like on the AV8805, etc. I don’t see the modules in the SR8015.
The SR8015 uses HDAM modules that are similar to, but newer than, those in the AV8805.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else is having bad luck with the SR8015? The first unit arrived but would not stay powered on for more than 2 seconds. Marantz tech support told me to return it for another one. The replacement worked for a few weeks, until last night while upgrading my front channels. After plugging in the new speakers, the front right channel is dead. No sound, no test tones during setup process. After troubleshooting it to make sure it wasn’t a bad speaker, it has to be an issue with the receiver. I’ve tried doing a factory reset and leaving it unplugged overnight. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do next? Thanks!
What speakers do you have? What is the nominal impedance of them?
D&M has a menu option to set the AVR for 4, 6 and 8 ohm speakers. I don’t see this discussed enough, but you are supposed to set it to the lowest impedance of any speaker in your system.

Are they all 8 ohm speakers? Any 6 ohms?

Just an idea

·
Early Adopter
74 Posts
Any idea where they are? In the 8805, it looks like it takes a whole row in the front of the unit.
I don't know exactly, but here is a screen shot from a Sound United YouTube describing the difference between Marantz and comparable Denon products.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
What speakers do you have? What is the nominal impedance of them?
D&M has a menu option to set the AVR for 4, 6 and 8 ohm speakers. I don’t see this discussed enough, but you are supposed to set it to the lowest impedance of any speaker in your system.
It's not discussed because it's not recommended as it simply reduces the rail voltage. Regardless of the impedance of the speakers, general guidance is to leave the setting at the factory default of 8-ohm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Really wanted to get the SR8015, especially now the PS5 is coming out but I was able to get the SR8012 on sale on Amazon so I jumped on it. I should be able to use eARC to take advantage of the new gaming consoles with newer TVs, and just send the sound downstream to the SR8012.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Really wanted to get the SR8015, especially now the PS5 is coming out but I was able to get the SR8012 on sale on Amazon so I jumped on it. I should be able to use eARC to take advantage of the new gaming consoles with newer TVs, and just send the sound downstream to the SR8012.
Congrats, I haven’t heard it, but if it sounds anything like the SR8015, I’m sure you’ll be happy with it. I believe there’s a thread for SR8012 owners so be sure to comment on how you like it!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Anyone have strong opinions on the Marantz 8015 with a separate amp or the Denon 8500? This will be used 100% for movies/sports in a 7.2.6 setup and I don't see myself doing any 8k gaming on it in the near future so although the 2.1 port will ultimately be nice to have on either it's not a huge priority right now. No music listening in this room. My biggest priority is a great movie sound with a 7.2.6 setup. The price difference between the 8015 with an amp or Denon 8500 from my guy is very similar so cost should be nowhere in your equations when making a recommendation on this. Thanks for feedback anyone can offer on this.

·
Registered
30,086 Posts
The 8500 and 8015 are more similar than different. There's barely any real world power difference between these models, the X8500H might bench test ~10% higher but it's a moot point in real world use.

The key factor is *how much power do you need?" and you have given us zero info about what speakers you are running or how big the room is.

Unless you have really demanding speakers and/or a huge room the internal amps in the 8500 are probably sufficient.

Reactions: trose02

·
Registered
523 Posts
The 8500 and 8015 are more similar than different. There's barely any real world power difference between these models, the X8500H might bench test ~10% higher but it's a moot point in real world use.

The key factor is *how much power do you need?" and you have given us zero info about what speakers you are running or how big the room is.

Unless you have really demanding speakers and/or a huge room the internal amps in the 8500 are probably sufficient.
Fair enough. It’s in a basement in a “media/entertainment/theater” hybrid room. The main listening area is 21 feet long by 16 feet wide and an 8 foot ceiling and that’s where the speakers are located. There’s a bar area to the side but the main listening viewing area is closed off on three sides with just the one area opening up to the bar. The front three LCR speakers are Klipsch 6504’s. The rear and wide speakers are Klipsch r5800’s and the ceiling speakers I will be installing are the Klipsch pro 180 rpc’s. For a sub I have an HSU VTF 15 MK2. I’m not a screaming loud listener, I just want good quality sound to fill the room. As I think I stated before, this is all about movie and sports watching, no gaming or music.

181 - 200 of 250 Posts