AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 533 Posts

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
What happens if you switch the receiver off then on again?

I have to do that with my Roku for it to handshake and get UHD/4K - otherwise the apps default to 1080p
Will try that tomorrow but hate for that to be the fix. Thanks

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Will try that tomorrow but hate for that to be the fix. Thanks
It's extremely annoying. I also have to do it with the nVidia Shield.
XBOX Series X (& XBOX One X) and Zidoo 1000 Pro don't require I do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I am replacing a pioneer SC-35 with a SR8015 below is my speaker configuration, They are all ceiling mounted. I am a bit lost with the difference between the two, if someone could please help point me in the right direction, I think I like this SR8015 but I have only had it for a few days and I don't think I have it connected right just yet.

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
So I am replacing a pioneer SC-35 with a SR8015 below is my speaker configuration, They are all ceiling mounted. I am a bit lost with the difference between the two, if someone could please help point me in the right direction, I think I like this SR8015 but I have only had it for a few days and I don't think I have it connected right just yet.
DIfference betwee the "two" what?

One configuration:
Front row pair - Front L/R
Middle Row pair - Top Middle L/R
Single middle - Center
Back row pair - Surround L/R

·
Registered
5 Posts
DIfference betwee the "two" what?

One configuration:
Middle Row pair - Top Middle L/R
Single middle - Center
Back row pair - Surround L/R
The difference between the pioneer and the SR8015 Sorry.

When you say Middle Row pair - Top Middle L/R
Are you referring to the wide/ height conntections?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
It's extremely annoying. I also have to do it with the nVidia Shield.
XBOX Series X (& XBOX One X) and Zidoo 1000 Pro don't require I do that.
The Shield and Xbox One X have been doing fine so far, but never had this problem with my Yamaha RX-A3080.. The Marantz may sound better with my movies but not sure it's worth the aggravation. Also have found myself having to turn up the volume a little more than I did when I had the Yamaha.

·
Vendor
29,880 Posts
Looking at the AVR on Crutchfield and it says (2020) model. I thought this came out last year?
They don't have it in stock but there is one on Amazon but it doesn't mention anything about the (2020) model.

Thanks
That is the year it was released. It is still the current model and there is nothing newer at this point. New units will not be out till like August if we are lucky, but the 8 series is on a 3 year cycle, at least the 8012 was. So look for the 8018 in 2023

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
The difference between the pioneer and the SR8015 Sorry.

When you say Middle Row pair - Top Middle L/R
Are you referring to the wide/ height conntections?
To configure them as Top Middle L/R as noted in the image below, connect them to the Height 1 L/R speaker posts.

You can also try configuring them as Front Wide L/R and then as noted in the second image, connect them to the Height 3/Front Wide speaker posts. Disregard the SBR/SBL connection as you don't have those speakers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To configure them as Top Middle L/R as noted in the image below, connect them to the Height 1 L/R speaker posts.

View attachment 3111771

You can also try configuring them as Front Wide L/R and then as noted in the second image, connect them to the Height 3/Front Wide speaker posts. Disregard the SBR/SBL connection as you don't have those speakers.

View attachment 3111773
Thank you, is there a difference between the 2?

·
Registered
6 Posts
good evening, I recently bought the Marantz SR8015, before I had a Yamaha RX-2060. I connected a Parasound A23 + power amp with maximum Gain to drive the front speakers, BD Oppo 203 player. I have some doubts about Audyssey, my room is about 18m2 and I have a 5.1.2 configuration, after calibrating the Svs- Subwoofer SB4000 with some movies sounds too loud, plus Audissey put my front speakers at -6db to be at the reference volume. Both with music and with movies the front speakers sound not very dynamic and not very detailed, setting the front speakers manually to 0 db (as I had on the old Yamaha 2060) and obviously raising all the speakers by 6db, everything sounds better and more defined. How is this behavior possible? Of course I turned off DinamicEQ and all digital enhancements including the echo function. Thank you

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
good evening, I recently bought the Marantz SR8015, before I had a Yamaha RX-2060. I connected a Parasound A23 + power amp with maximum Gain to drive the front speakers, BD Oppo 203 player. I have some doubts about Audyssey, my room is about 18m2 and I have a 5.1.2 configuration, after calibrating the Svs- Subwoofer SB4000 with some movies sounds too loud, plus Audissey put my front speakers at -6db to be at the reference volume. Both with music and with movies the front speakers sound not very dynamic and not very detailed, setting the front speakers manually to 0 db (as I had on the old Yamaha 2060) and obviously raising all the speakers by 6db, everything sounds better and more defined. How is this behavior possible? Of course I turned off DinamicEQ and all digital enhancements including the echo function. Thank you
Are all speakers about the same sensitivity? Are the speakers a foot or more from boundaries? What’s you process for Audyssey mic positions? Using all positions? Try flat instead of reference? I like how it sounds over reference. More clarity/better highs in the sweet spot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are all speakers about the same sensitivity? Are the speakers a foot or more from boundaries? What’s you process for Audyssey mic positions? Using all positions? Try flat instead of reference? I like how it sounds over reference. More clarity/better highs in the sweet spot.
Good evening, no the speakers have different sensitivities, the front B & W704 s2 88dB, Sorround B & W707 s2 84dB, Central B&W HTM72 S2 87dB, Atmos B&W M1 85dB. The fronts are 2 feet from the front wall, the surrounds at the rear corners, the middle 1.5 feet. For the audition I performed 3 positions, the first in the sweet spot, the second 9cm on the right and the third 9cm on the left.
After running the audio through the app I set all speakers EQ up to 500hz to leave natural mids and highs.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The Shield and Xbox One X have been doing fine so far, but never had this problem with my Yamaha RX-A3080.. The Marantz may sound better with my movies but not sure it's worth the aggravation. Also have found myself having to turn up the volume a little more than I did when I had the Yamaha.
I've made my peace with it. I turn it on, switch to the Roku or Shield input. Turn it off. Turn it back on and proceed as normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello All,

Is the SR-8015 worth it over the SR-8012? There are some good deals on the SR-8012. I don't really care about 8K right now, so that feature is not a big selling feature for me.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 ·
Thank you, is there a difference between the 2?
Having all speakers in the ceiling is never ideal so you'll just have to try both configurations and choose the one that you prefer. Alternatively, you can also store each configuration in a separate Speaker Preset setting and then cycle between the two depending on the source.

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
Hello All,

Is the SR-8015 worth it over the SR-8012? There are some good deals on the SR-8012. I don't really care about 8K right now, so that feature is not a big selling feature for me.

thanks!
This is something only you can decide. Review post #1 to learn the other newer features added to the SR8015.

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 3111771

View attachment 3111773
Ok, here's the issue in order to select the height 1 speakers I have to also say I don't have surround, but once I say that I can't select surround back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
AMP ASSIGN = Pre-Amp : This setting is only used when none of the internal amps are in use rather only external amps are being used (regardless of how many speakers are being externally amped); however, if you only want this Pre-amp mode feature on the Front L/R speakers, then select AMP ASSIGN = 13.1 regardless of whether you are using 13 speakers or not in your setup. Note also that all the main zone pre-outs are always HOT, you don't have to set them to ON in order to add external amps (eg. if you have a 7.1 setup and you want to power the L/C/R speakers externally, then you simply connect the RCA cables to the L/C/R pre-outs, raise the volume on the external amp (if adjustable) to at least 80% of maximum, and then run Audyssey again to account for the different gain structure of the external amp compared to the AVRs internal amps.

Speaker Preset 1/2 - This feature will allow saving two different speaker configurations regardless of whether you save an Audyssey EQ or not as it is not an Audyssey related feature. One example of its use is to set Preset 1: Amp Assign = Pre-Amp using all external amps and Preset 2: Amp Assign = 11.1/13.1 with the internal amps powering another configuration either in the same room (possibly also using some of the external amps as well) or in another room. Another example would be using an Audyssey EQ with one preset and the Graphic EQ with another preset. Note also the Speaker Preset selection can also be saved in a Smart Select button as well.

A firmware update for the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app will now allow streaming an Audyssey EQ curve to either Speaker Preset 1 or Speaker Preset 2. If either or both Presets are already using an Audyssey EQ curve, the app will ask whether you want to "overwrite" the existing EQ curve for the Speaker Preset selected.

The following settings are saved to each of the Preset 1 (default) / Preset 2.
0 “Amp Assign” settings
0 “Speaker Config.” settings
0 “Distances” settings
0 “Levels” settings
0 “Crossovers” settngs
0 “Bass” settings
0 “2ch Playback” settings
0 “Front Speaker” settings
0 “MultEQ XT32” data
0 “Graphic EQ” data

IMAX Enhanced DTS/DTS:X Surround Parameters: You must be playing IMAX Enhanced DTS/DTS:X content in order to have access to the individual IMAX settings under "Surround Parameters." (Auto/Manual) in the factory default "Auto" setting will automatically change all speaker crossovers to 70Hz (ie. Crossover, Subwoofer mode, and LPF for LFE cannot be applied), otherwise if not desired, either set to "Manual" and adjust to suit your preference or set to "Off" and will play as regular DTS/DTS:X. Note also there is no Dynamic Range compression used with IMAX Enhanced DTS/DTS:X audio tracks.
Regarding Speaker Preset 1 / 2 feature, does Audyssey now allow for Front B speakers to be measured, EQ's separately from Front A? I'd like to calibrate Preset 1 using Wides and then calibrate Preset 2 as those same speakers being Front B.

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #499 ·
Regarding Speaker Preset 1 / 2 feature, does Audyssey now allow for Front B speakers to be measured, EQ's separately from Front A? I'd like to calibrate Preset 1 using Wides and then calibrate Preset 2 as those same speakers being Front B.
When using separate Speaker Presets, it should yes.

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·
Ok, here's the issue in order to select the height 1 speakers I have to also say I don't have surround, but once I say that I can't select surround back.
You should be using the factory default AMP ASSIGN = 9.1Ch + Zone 2.

SURROUND BACK speakers require having SURROUND speakers also configured in at least a 7.1 setup. The only configuration for you that would allow this is:

Middle row pair - Surround L/R
Single middle - Center
Back row pair - Surround Back L/R

481 - 500 of 533 Posts