AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 250 Posts

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
^^
You're missing some adjectives which would help your post make more sense, so please edit as necessary. Also, understand that based on the fact that the Denon/Marantz volume scale is logarithmic like, average listening volume levels for many are 50-70 with very little volume heard below 50.

·
Registered
296 Posts
^^
You're missing some adjectives which would help your post make more sense, so please edit as necessary. Also, understand that based on the fact that the Denon/Marantz volume scale is logarithmic like, average listening volume levels for many are 50-70 with very little volume heard below 50.
Rather than edit the post I am just going to ask some basic questions about the audio settings and describe my setup.

1. Let me start with my speaker setup. I have 2 floor speakers, 2 atmos enabled speakers, center channel, sub and two surround speakers. I also have speakers in zone 2 and zone 3. Amp assignment set for this speaker setup. I used Audyssey setup when I installed the receivers and speakers.

2. There are various audio settings, Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround, Dolby Atmos and many other options. There is a Direct button on the remote and that is set to Auto. As I understand it the auto setting will pick the correct sound setting based on the content being viewed.

3. I watch HD channels only on Dish Network. The sound is automatically set to Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround. I have the option of pressing the movie button and changing this to another setting. I typically just leave the audio setting alone.

4. You Tube TV is broadcast with 2.1 audio which as we all know not the best audio. I think streaming services will be changing this in the next year to Dolby Digital. With You Tube TV there are some movies that actually output the audio in Dolby Digital. I am using ARC for sound with You Tube TV. When viewing this source the sound defaults to DD Surround and the sound is dispersed through all the speakers, actually it depends on what you are watching but the receiver always displays DD Surround. I record a lot of the movies since You Tube TV has unlimited Cloud DVR storage.

5. Here are my questions. Why when the receiver defaults to Dolby Digital + Surround and you press the movie button is there no DD Surround option? I have included a picture of the sound menu.

6. Is it normal for Dolby Digital + Surround setting to have a lower level of volume compared to just using DD Surround. For whatever reason when I record a movie from You Tube TV the original content comes through in DD Surround but when I play the recording the audio output is Dolby Digital + Surround and clearly the sound level is lower compared to DD Surround. Maybe this is because of all the conversions of 2.1 audio that You Tube TV uses.

In summary is what I described normal behavior?

See attached pictures of different audio options I have available with Dish Network. Disregard the highlighted settings. Also can't take pictures of You Tube audio settings screen since the source is TV/Audio and can't be viewed on TV screen.

Note no setting for DD Surround.

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Rather than edit the post I am just going to ask some basic questions about the audio settings and describe my setup.

1. Let me start with my speaker setup. I have 2 floor speakers, 2 atmos enabled speakers, center channel, sub and two surround speakers. I also have speakers in zone 2 and zone 3. Amp assignment set for this speaker setup. I used Audyssey setup when I installed the receivers and speakers.

2. There are various audio settings, Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround, Dolby Atmos and many other options. There is a Direct button on the remote and that is set to Auto. As I understand it the auto setting will pick the correct sound setting based on the content being viewed.

3. I watch HD channels only on Dish Network. The sound is automatically set to Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround. I have the option of pressing the movie button and changing this to another setting. I typically just leave the audio setting alone.

4. You Tube TV is broadcast with 2.1 audio which as we all know not the best audio. I think streaming services will be changing this in the next year to Dolby Digital. With You Tube TV there are some movies that actually output the audio in Dolby Digital. I am using ARC for sound with You Tube TV. When viewing this source the sound defaults to DD Surround and the sound is dispersed through all the speakers, actually it depends on what you are watching but the receiver always displays DD Surround. I record a lot of the movies since You Tube TV has unlimited Cloud DVR storage.

5. Here are my questions. Why when the receiver defaults to Dolby Digital + Surround and you press the movie button is there no DD Surround option? I have included a picture of the sound menu.

6. Is it normal for Dolby Digital + Surround setting to have a lower level of volume compared to just using DD Surround. For whatever reason when I record a movie from You Tube TV the original content comes through in DD Surround but when I play the recording the audio output is Dolby Digital + Surround and clearly the sound level is lower compared to DD Surround. Maybe this is because of all the conversions of 2.1 audio that You Tube TV uses.

In summary is what I described normal behavior?

See attached pictures of different audio options I have available with Dish Network. Disregard the highlighted settings. Also can't take pictures of You Tube audio settings screen since the source is TV/Audio and can't be viewed on TV screen.

Note no setting for DD Surround.
5. Surround and DD Surround are the same thing.
6. Not really a big deal either way. Wouldn't worry about it.

Note also that "Dolby Surround" is generally only displayed with stereo sources.

·
Registered
296 Posts
5. Surround and DD Surround are the same thing.
6. Not really a big deal either way. Wouldn't worry about it.

Note also that "Dolby Surround" is generally only displayed with stereo sources.
What I am trying to understand is why does Dolby Audio - DD + DSur volume level sound much lower than just Dolby Surround? Volume level set to 60 in both scenarios. You state it isn't a big deal and if this is normal then I can accept that. All I want to know is if this is normal behavior.

I understand your earlier comment about the volume levels set to 50-70 and low volume levels below 50.

Thanks

·
Vendor
27,563 Posts
Well i went with the SR8015 so in a month when they come in i'll let you know how it goes....Also got the Audiocontrol to decide between the two.
Why a month, those are in stock across the country, not a ton of them but they are around.

·
Registered
445 Posts
We order direct and they're saying end of Oct, next shipment near Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I received my new SR8015 today and am really familiar with Marantz as I own the 7012 and PM7000N. I wasn’t expecting a huge upgrade but decided to upgrade anyways.

After setup and about 3 hours of listening I’m blown away and am wondering if anyone else has similar thoughts.

The highs and mids are so much more dynamic than my 7012 when listening to pure direct music. Whole sound is fuller but the highs stand out mostly. It’s almost like a different sound signature to me.

I’m not sure if this is just the improvement with the Toroidal Transformer or not but I’m loving this AVR so far.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
So I received my new SR8015 today and am really familiar with Marantz as I own the 7012 and PM7000N. I wasn’t expecting a huge upgrade but decided to upgrade anyways.

After setup and about 3 hours of listening I’m blown away and am wondering if anyone else has similar thoughts.

The highs and mids are so much more dynamic than my 7012 when listening to pure direct music. Whole sound is fuller but the highs stand out mostly. It’s almost like a different sound signature to me.

I’m not sure if this is just the improvement with the Toroidal Transformer or not but I’m loving this AVR so far.
I agree. I had high expectations and was underwhelmed the first minute or so then remembered to switch to pure direct. Noticeable difference! Still surprised at the detail and how dynamic this receiver was with the smaller Triad speakers. What speakers do you have? I didn’t focus to much on the highs, but curious, how did cymbals sound on the SR8015 vs your other equipment? I always liked how Denon has a airy yet natural sound in this area.

Only downside I can think of is that I did have a little bit of fatigue, but also some of the songs I had were compressed, the speakers were small (little bass). Spent a good 20-30 minutes or so listening. It’s probably over kill for me since I only have a 5.1 at max right now, but it’s on the list to highly consider purchasing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree. I had high expectations and was underwhelmed the first minute or so then remembered to switch to pure direct. Noticeable difference! Still surprised at the detail and how dynamic this receiver was with the smaller Triad speakers. What speakers do you have? I didn’t focus to much on the highs, but curious, how did cymbals sound on the SR8015 vs your other equipment? I always liked how Denon has a airy yet natural sound in this area.

Only downside I can think of is that I did have a little bit of fatigue, but also some of the songs I had were compressed, the speakers were small (little bass). Spent a good 20-30 minutes or so listening. It’s probably over kill for me since I only have a 5.1 at max right now, but it’s on the list to highly consider purchasing.
Bench tests have shown Pure Direct on Denon/Marantz models have made to measureable improvements. In addition you loose the ability to EQ the bass region with Audyssey which has a huge impact on sound quality in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Bench tests have shown Pure Direct on Denon/Marantz models have made to measureable improvements. In addition you loose the ability to EQ the bass region with Audyssey which has a huge impact on sound quality in my opinion.
Perhaps, but this was on the showroom floor. I have no idea how it was configured and I had limited time. I first adjusted the speakers (took them a bit further away from the wall and toed them in some), plugged in my USB, started some music, then flipped it to pure direct. Generally I do like Audyssey on my Denon 2808, but mainly for movies. Music I usually switch to pure direct since I don’t always recall what I was messing with last.

Anyways, pretty impressive for a receiver. I’m hoping I might be in the area again tomorrow for another listen with different music.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else is having bad luck with the SR8015? The first unit arrived but would not stay powered on for more than 2 seconds. Marantz tech support told me to return it for another one. The replacement worked for a few weeks, until last night while upgrading my front channels. After plugging in the new speakers, the front right channel is dead. No sound, no test tones during setup process. After troubleshooting it to make sure it wasn’t a bad speaker, it has to be an issue with the receiver. I’ve tried doing a factory reset and leaving it unplugged overnight. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do next? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else is having bad luck with the SR8015? The first unit arrived but would not stay powered on for more than 2 seconds. Marantz tech support told me to return it for another one. The replacement worked for a few weeks, until last night while upgrading my front channels. After plugging in the new speakers, the front right channel is dead. No sound, no test tones during setup process. After troubleshooting it to make sure it wasn’t a bad speaker, it has to be an issue with the receiver. I’ve tried doing a factory reset and leaving it unplugged overnight. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do next? Thanks!
Bummer to get two bad ones. I would definitely return/exchange it for another one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had to swap mine because of an audio dropping issue. The second one has been solid for a month.

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
It's rare to get a defective unit, let alone two. Suggest checking other possible sources cause the issue (eg. power strip, UPS, home electrical current, other devices on the same circuit).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am getting a slight popping sound when pausing movies or when adjusting something in the menus. Like when adjusting audio delay every adjustment up or down made a slight feedback sound in the speakers.
Am I being worried over nothing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Really starting to consider the SR8015 after the bad measurements of the SR7015 and realising the new AV7706 probably will measure as badly/on par with the AV7705.

Anyone have some input on the SR8015 sound quality/performance vs. the Yamaha RX-A3080? I've been running one the lasts few weeks, and am pleasantly surprised. It doesn't have the monolithic amp design of the SR8015 amongst other things though.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Enjoying my SR8015 except...

Anyone else think/having issues with the remote? The reception is terrible. I tried replacing the batteries but the receiver seems to receive signals if I point it at a specific direction. Raising/lowering the volume and changing inputs is a chore.

Other than that...I love it.

·
Early Adopter
74 Posts

Anyone else think/having issues with the remote? The reception is terrible. I tried replacing the batteries but the receiver seems to receive signals if I point it at a specific direction. Raising/lowering the volume and changing inputs is a chore.

Yes, I too have noticed that the SR8015 can be a bit finicky when it comes to the remote.
The location of the remote sensor is to the left of the Volume Control at about the 7o'clock position, fairly low.
The Denon X6700H I had for 2 months has the sensor in a diff place and seemed more responsive to the remote.
Remember the remote has to have line-of-sight to the receiver and cannot be off center by more than 30 degrees.

Reactions: PeterTHX

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

Maybe a repeater will help, I've been happy with the Salamander Designs IR Repeater

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Denon X6700H I had for 2 months has the sensor in a diff place and seemed more responsive to the remote.
Remember the remote has to have line-of-sight to the receiver and cannot be off center by more than 30 degrees.
How do you like the SR8015 compared to the X6700H?

161 - 180 of 250 Posts