AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt this deserved it's own thread, because the TV show "24" is revolutionary with it's 1-hour 'real time' format, the action in the show, and the popular following it has developed.

I've been a fan of "24" since Season 1. This is the first year I've seen the episodes in HDTV. To me, this is the quintessential show that MUST be viewed in HDTV and on a big screen. Otherwise, it'd be like watching the 'Star Wars' moves on a 9" black-and-white.
Some shows -- like tonight's "King Of Queens" -- look better in HDTV, obviousley, but it's a marginal benefit. I was a huge "X-Files" fan and I see the repeats in HD on TNT-HD; they're nice, but it's not a quantitative jump in picture quality (just bigger and a bit clearer) from when I saw it years ago on a 27" TV.

What I liked about "24" in HDTV and on my plasma was that scenes were stuff hits you from the sides of the camera angle are now alot bigger. "24" is one show where you really do look at the whole TV and/or side-to-side. On my old 27" CRT, I pretty much concentrated my eyes in the middle of the TV.

Other things about "24" and plasma:

(1) Action shots were super-smooth. I would be curious as to how some of the LCD guys saw the show, since like sporting events, motion lag can enter into a "24" episode on slow-response sets.

(2) The clock scenes set against black: wow, they looked alot different. The digital LED stood out and the entire rectangle picture frame looked inky black. I've seen darker -- would be interested to hear how you Panasonic/Pionner owners saw the scenes -- but it looked nice and dark.

Anyway, I don't want this thread to turn into a TV discussion of the show, more the technical and aesthetic appreciation for what an HDTV can do for a show like this. To me, this is what HDTV was meant for.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe /forum/post/0

I could tell

It is a good show, and benefits from being broadcast in HDTV, as do many others. My prefered HDTV show is LOST

"24" is great in HD. Pretty much everything FOX does in HD looks great. American Idol, Prison Break...and others.

To me, I'm blown away watching football, especially the NFL, in HD.

Now if someone could explain why $^%@!#!* CBS only shows three NFL games on any given Sunday in HD... I'm sorry, but that's pathetic.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne /forum/post/0

Now if someone could explain why $^%@!#!* CBS only shows three NFL games on any given Sunday in HD... I'm sorry, but that's pathetic.

Because they only have 3 HD crews -- seriousley. Fox has at least 5.

CBS either doesn't give a damn or it's a cost-saving move.

And yes, as a Jets fan, I got shafted and one of the early-season games was shown in SD only, right AFTER I went out and got the HDTV !!!! With only 3 crews, they sometimes will delegate lesser teams to SD instead of HD broadcast.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/0

And yes, as a Jets fan, I got shafted and one of the early-season games was shown in SD only, right AFTER I went out and got the HDTV !!!! With only 3 crews, they sometimes will delegate lesser teams to SD instead of HD broadcast.

I think every Ravens game was in SD. And I wouldn't say the Ravens are a "lesser" team, they're having a great year. CBS sucks...

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne /forum/post/0

I think every Ravens game was in SD. And I wouldn't say the Ravens are a "lesser" team, they're having a great year. CBS sucks...

Not at all....but I think size of the city and home area also matters. Bummer.

Check into that...I'd be surprised if it were that low.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, I've been really impressed with Fox so far. American Idol and 24 looked fantastic on my Panny plasma. I really don't understand why all of the HD channels aren't widescreen and clear like Fox's. Some of them are 4:3, or look crappier. Anyway, 24 is indeed impressive viewing material for HD on plasma.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.