AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1963 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will it be able to play a lot of different containers? Will it play user created content seamlessly?

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks to Brejesh here are some informative links:

"- XBMC Wiki
- fireTVnews
- Working Sideloaded APK List
- XDA Developers FTV Forum

Tip for using XBMC: make sure 'mediacodec' is disabled under video acceleration. Only 'libstagefright' should be enabled. Full 1080p videos play just fine.
Also, you should update to Gotham 13.1 as it runs slightly better than the OUYA (Frodo) version of XBMC.

And, for discussion, I personally find this thread at XBMC most helpful/useful."

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
 http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/amazon-announces-android-powered-streaming-stick/

Fire TV is not a barebones device like the Chromecast, it's a powerful platform with ties to the broader Amazon ecosystem. Inside the slim black plastic box is a quad-core CPU with a full 2GB of RAM -- that makes it more akin to a high-end smartphone than your typical streaming device. And its incredibly slim, shorter than a dime and with barely enough clearance for the small selection of ports around back.

And, true to the company's word, this is not a closed ecosystem. The device will launch with access to Hulu and Prime (obviously) but other partners will be added over time.

One of the LiveBlog pictures showed a "Video Library" folder which means personal content may be able to be played as well. There was also a Plex app icon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It supports 1080p, dolby digital surroud out via HDMI or optical.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy  /t/1524543/amazon-to-announce-a-new...-media-streamer-running-android#post_24559888

Will it support bitstreaming and all that stuff?

dunno yet.

Price $99

They say it's 3x faster than any of the competitors.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I'm interested in this, but I've learned enough over the years that I never order anything electronic at release date.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy  /t/1524543/amazon-to-announce-a-new...-media-streamer-running-android#post_24559905

It says its available today. I'm going to order it as soon as their website shows it.

It's up now

Audio Support for Dolby Digital Plus, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch Stereo and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1

Content Formats Supported

Video: H.263, H.264, MPEG4-SP, VC1

Audio: AAC, AC-3, E-AC-3, HE-A, PCM, MP3

Photo: JPG, PNG

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Gotta love amazon...took less time to order it than to read about it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
1 item will be shipped to Charles by Amazon.com. Estimated delivery: Apr. 3, 2014

I wonder if it actually shows up tomorrow?

I hope it doesn't suck.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy  /t/1524543/amazon-to-announce-a-new...a-streamer-running-android/0_50#post_24559965

1 item will be shipped to Charles by Amazon.com. Estimated delivery: Apr. 3, 2014

I wonder if it actually shows up tomorrow?

I hope it doesn't suck.

I've had a ton of stuff show up next day via prime.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Same h
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003  /t/1524543/amazon-to-announce-a-new...-media-streamer-running-android#post_24559973

I've had a ton of stuff show up next day via prime.

I usually have things show up everyday using prime, but being as new as this is and probably thousands ordering it. I just hope I get mine shipped before its out of stock.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy  /t/1524543/amazon-to-announce-a-new...a-streamer-running-android/0_50#post_24559987

Same h

I usually have things show up everyday using prime, but being as new as this is and probably thousands ordering it. I just hope I get mine shipped before its out of stock.

It's amazon, they're pros at this. If it said it's in stock, it's in stock.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Will it support MKV via DLNA?

I really want to replace my slow WDTV...

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
First fail: on the product page, the "logo" name is "FireTV", but the description is "Fire TV". Which is it?

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003  /t/1524543/amazon-to-announce-a-new...-media-streamer-running-android#post_24559993

It's amazon, they're pros at this. If it said it's in stock, it's in stock.

I'm really hoping I can replace my Roku with this. Plex on roku is terrible. The interface sucks and it has issues playing a lot of remuxed MKVs. I hope if it has Plex it will be powerful and work correctly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19  /t/1524543/amazon-to-announce-a-new...-media-streamer-running-android#post_24559997

It definitely will via Plex. Plex is an awesome awesome app.

I have not seen definite information yet as far as playing personal media files. It supports it but to what extent I do not know.

as long as it supports Plex I am happy regardless. You can use Plex for free and it streams MKV no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy  /t/1524543/amazon-to-announce-a-new...-media-streamer-running-android#post_24560009

I'm really hoping I can replace my Roku with this. Plex on roku is terrible. The interface sucks and it has issues playing a lot of remuxed MKVs. I hope if it has Plex it will be powerful and work correctly.

You can say that again. Plex works great on my Samsung TV though via the Plex Samsung App

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Bought one just now not even really knowing if it can play external video files due to the issues with my WD TV I continually have. Guess we will see tomorrow if it does or does not.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
It's android, and they claim it's open. VLC, plex and XBMC will prob be ported by the end of the week. Even if it's locked down to any degree by default you'll prob be able to break it wide open without any hassle.

It's going to support every and anything.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19  /t/1524543/amazon-to-announce-a-new...-media-streamer-running-android#post_24559997

Yup, a big decision for me as well, I love my WDTV, but the lack of Amazon Instant Video drives me nuts, plus its slow. On the other hand, it plays ALL my local files regardless of what format I throw at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal  /t/1524543/amazon-to-announce-a-new...-media-streamer-running-android#post_24559939

It's up now

Audio Support for Dolby Digital Plus, 5.1 surround sound, 2ch Stereo and HDMI audio pass through up to 7.1

Content Formats Supported

Video: H.263, H.264, MPEG4-SP, VC1

Audio: AAC, AC-3, E-AC-3, HE-A, PCM, MP3

Photo: JPG, PNG

Ok, not bad, but not great. I guess Plex is something I need to look into.

No Spotify or Google Play Music? HRM!!! I like Pandora but I cant live off that alone, I hope they get more music streaming apps quickly.

1 - 20 of 1963 Posts