AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
Does anyone know what the HDR metadata values are for the Apple TV+ shows?
Ghost Writer S1E1

Menu:
Max/Min Lum: 250 / 0.05 nits
MaxCLL/FALL: 250 / 100 nits

Feature (all segments):
Max/Min Lum: 1000 / 1 nits
MaxCLL/FALL: 1000 / 1000 nits

---------------------------

Truth Be Told S1E1

Menu:
MaxCLL/FALL: 1000 / 980 nits

Feature:
MaxCLL/FALL: 1000 / 977 nits

End Credits:
MaxCLL/FALL: 1000 / 153 nits

·
Registered
23 Posts
Service already dying?

Good quality can‘t be a permanent excuse for a streaming service to not deliver new content.

About 90 minutes total of new content per week at the moment divided between two tv shows. That‘s all there is.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well, per Apple TV+ own website URL...https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus/, the claim is

"New Apple Originals every month"

As far as I can tell, there's only a new show coming, The Banker...

I have enjoyed See, The Elephant Queen and For All Mankind, while the kids really liked Ghostwriter & Snoopy In Space. The family consensus is that both the picture and sound quality on ATV+ is stellar, but from a content perspective, we still regard Netflix king.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just subscribed to ATV+ and I'm having an issue. When I watch it through the Apple TV 4k (all updates applied), it won't remember where I left off a show or advance the next episode in the up next queue.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just subscribed to ATV+ and I'm having an issue. When I watch it through the Apple TV 4k (all updates applied), it won't remember where I left off a show or advance the next episode in the up next queue.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

I have exactly the same issue. After watching an episode, it simply will play the exact same episode again in my 'Up Next' watch list.

I have to manually long press the ep and flag it as 'watched' before it will show that I'm up to the next ep. Strange.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have exactly the same issue. After watching an episode, it simply will play the exact same episode again in my 'Up Next' watch list.

I have to manually long press the ep and flag it as 'watched' before it will show that I'm up to the next ep. Strange.
That's what I've been doing as well. Not a huge issue, but there has to be a fix, right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good afternoon, I live in Brazil, I'm looking for an average center that plays blu ray ISO or BDMV, but I can navigate perfectly in the menus like a physical blu ray, I'm in doubt on some models, you can suggest me what are the more efficient for what I'm looking for? For example between ZAPPITI, ZIDOO, DUNE, EGREAT and CHINOOPO which is the best or the models I can buy without fear that will suit me in what I need, I will probably put sata internal hd 5t and play everything on the internal hd. a hug
this apple working?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Official Apple TV + Streaming Service discussion thread
I think that the title of this thread and of your first post should be changed to 'Official discussion thread for Apple's TV apps and for Apple TV+', so that in this thread people will discuss not only the Apple TV+ subscription service, but also the functionality of Apple's TV apps (I said "apps" plural, because I'm including the Apple TV app for Roku, the Apple TV app for other devices, and also the "TV" apps that Apple makes for its own devices.) Getting into semantics, I'd use the phrase "Apple's TV apps" instead of "the Apple TV apps" because on Apple devices, it's just called "TV", so there are no 'Apple TV' apps on Apple devices, but the app for Roku is called "Apple TV". Hence, my use of the phrase "Apple's TV apps".
This thread should be for discussion of Apple's TV apps, and not just the Apple TV+ subscription service. Examples of features of Apple's TV apps that do not relate to Apple TV+:
  • purchasing and viewing of content
  • channels --> Apple TV+ is a channel, and there are other channels as well
Apple TV+ also exists outside of Apple's TV apps: it can be accessed via a web browser.
Therefore, my suggestion for the name of this thread and of your first post: Official discussion thread for Apple's TV apps and for Apple TV+

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I think that the title of this thread and of your first post should be changed to 'Official discussion thread for Apple's TV apps and for Apple TV+', so that in this thread people will discuss not only the Apple TV+ subscription service, but also the functionality of Apple's TV apps (I said "apps" plural, because I'm including the Apple TV app for Roku, the Apple TV app for other devices, and also the "TV" apps that Apple makes for its own devices.) Getting into semantics, I'd use the phrase "Apple's TV apps" instead of "the Apple TV apps" because on Apple devices, it's just called "TV", so there are no 'Apple TV' apps on Apple devices, but the app for Roku is called "Apple TV". Hence, my use of the phrase "Apple's TV apps".
This thread should be for discussion of Apple's TV apps, and not just the Apple TV+ subscription service. Examples of features of Apple's TV apps that do not relate to Apple TV+:
  • purchasing and viewing of content
  • channels --> Apple TV+ is a channel, and there are other channels as well
Apple TV+ also exists outside of Apple's TV apps: it can be accessed via a web browser.
Therefore, my suggestion for the name of this thread and of your first post: Official discussion thread for Apple's TV apps and for Apple TV+
There's already a thread for the Apple TV, which includes the apps

·
Registered
289 Posts
There's already a thread for the Apple TV, which includes the apps
But it's a thread for discussion of the Apple TV family of devices, and not for discussion of, for example, the Apple TV app on Roku, nor the TV app on macOS. This is the closest thread I've found for discussion of Apple's TV apps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's possible that I missed discussion of Apple's TV apps on other devices in the Apple TV owners' thread, which is, I think, the thread that you referred to. So far, I haven't found there any discussion of Apple's TV apps on devices that aren't Apple TVs. Can you link me to some specific posts?

I still think that it would be a good idea to have a thread for discussion of Apple's TV apps that is separate from the thread that's for discussion of Apple TV hardware. I'd create one with the name that I mentioned, but then I'd be going into this thread's subject, and I don't want to split this thread (have two threads discussing the same subject--in this case, Apple TV+). Not that multiple threads discussing the same things doesn't already happen on AVSforum :)

I suppose that I could create a thread that's just for discussion of Apple's TV apps and not for discussion of Apple TV+ nor Apple TV hardware. There would probably still be a lot of crossover with this thread :)

What do you think? I wish that it was possible to repurpose this thread instead. I also wish that it was possible to rename threads. It's only possible to rename posts.

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
...on Apple devices, it's just called "TV"
It's named (stylized) tv and pronounced Apple TV. Apple's TV apps is ambiguous.

I don't understand why people frequently use "Official". There are only a handful of threads that have regular "vendor" participation.

I still think that it would be a good idea to have a thread for discussion of Apple's TV apps that is separate from the thread that's for discussion of Apple TV hardware. ...
...I wish that it was possible to repurpose this thread instead. I also wish that it was possible to rename threads. It's only possible to rename posts.
The owners' thread, like the Apple TV ("We believe the future of television is apps"), has little to do with hardware.

Site moderators can change thread names if it's obviously the correct thing to do.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's named (stylized) tv and pronounced Apple TV.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV_(software)#cite_note-4 --> "Referred to as simply "TV" in Apple operating systems, "Apple TV" on non-Apple devices, and the "Apple TV app" or "TV app" on Apple's website."

Apple's TV apps is ambiguous.
I did that on purpose, to include Apple's "TV" apps on Apple devices, and Apple's "Apple TV" apps on non-Apple devices.

The owners' thread, like the Apple TV ("We believe the future of television is apps"), has little to do with hardware.
That thread is about Apple TV devices and the software that runs on them. I don't understand what you just said.

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV_(software)#cite_note-4 --> "Referred to as simply "TV" in Apple operating systems, "Apple TV" on non-Apple devices, and the "Apple TV app" or "TV app" on Apple's website."

I did that on purpose, to include Apple's "TV" apps on Apple devices, and Apple's "Apple TV" apps on non-Apple devices.

That thread is about Apple TV devices and the software that runs on them. I don't understand what you just said.
The attached image is from an AppleTV4K. See the "Apple uses variations on Apple and TV to represent multiple items" section in [this post].
I understand your point about various instantiations of the tv app but I suspect some set of people would think it's about apps running on the Apple TV. But it's just an observation.
The quote is from Tim Cook noting that it's about the software not hardware. The (not official) "Apple TV Owners' FAQ in the first post thread" thread is primarily about software and content. More time is spent talking about HDMI cables than the Apple TV hardware. And I'm well aware of what the thread is about.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 84 Posts