AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 9070 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey there,
i have a denon x2200 avr that comes with multieq xt (8 measuring positions). 6 of the suggested position in audyssey room correction process are "legit"- away from walls and within the cone that the speakers form. but the last two would force me to put the mic pretty much against the wall (my sofa is set against the wall). so the question is what would be better for the sake of proper room correction? to complete the process using the data from 6 positions or include those 2 non-ideal positions?

thanks.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
hey there,
i have a denon x2200 avr that comes with multieq xt (8 measuring positions). 6 of the suggested position in audyssey room correction process are "legit"- away from walls and within the cone that the speakers form. but the last two would force me to put the mic pretty much against the wall (my sofa is set against the wall). so the question is what would be better for the sake of proper room correction? to complete the process using the data from 6 positions or include those 2 non-ideal positions?

thanks.
I'd suggest a third solution: put the last two mic positions right in front of the MLP, #7 to the left and #8 to the right about 2 feet forward. The more data of your room you feed MultEQ the better the acoustical bubble around the seating area will be.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I posted on another thread but maybe someone can reply here.
The dark green is audyssey and light is mcacc pro. This is for the dual subs only. The audyssey graph is the better one correct?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd suggest a third solution: put the last two mic positions right in front of the MLP, #7 to the left and #8 to the right about 2 feet forward. The more data of your room you feed MultEQ the better the acoustical bubble around the seating area will be.

Hope this helps. :)
hmm does that mean those suggested measuring positions by denon can be ignored as audyssey can calculate the distances fairly accurately anyway after the first measurement has been made?

the denon suggestion is this:

4_5_6
|2_1_3| - this is the sofa.
------
7___8

i guess you're suggesting to measure 7 and 8 at 4 and 6 again?

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
hmm does that mean those suggested measuring positions by denon can be ignored as audyssey can calculate the distances fairly accurately anyway after the first measurement has been made?

the denon suggestion is this:

4_5_6
|2_1_3| - this is the sofa.
------
7___8

i guess you're suggesting to measure 7 and 8 at 4 and 6 again?
Actually, distances are measued by Audyssey only from #1 (aka MLP). The rest of the mic positions (#2 to #8) are meant to feed Audyssey as much info at and around the seating positions as possible enabling the algorithm to set up the best filters per speaker as it can.

I have the same configutation like you have, i.e. sofa is at the rear wall, so in this (our) case the best is to place the mic for the remaing two shots somewhere halfway between 4-5 and 5-6, but closer to the sofa than 4 and 6 was. Give it a try please. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
aha, i see. sure i'll rerun it tomorrow. i'll take photos of the before (current) and after results of the eq shape, it's interesting what kind of difference it would make.
thanks

·
AVS ***** Member
9,102 Posts
I posted on another thread but maybe someone can reply here.
The dark green is audyssey and light is mcacc pro. This is for the dual subs only. The audyssey graph is the better one correct?

Hi,

I think the Audyssey graph is a little better, particularly above about 65Hz, and below about 25Hz, but neither one strikes me as extremely good. Have you experimented with moving your subs around to find the best overall placement? Is this about as smooth as you can get?

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Hi,

I think the Audyssey graph is a little better, particularly above about 65Hz, and below about 25Hz, but neither one strikes me as extremely good. Have you experimented with moving your subs around to find the best overall placement? Is this about as smooth as you can get?

Regards,
Mike
Hi asere, apart from the good questions of Mike, I'd also like to know whether this is a one mic position measurement or an REW average of multiple point meaurements taken at and around MLP?

·
AVS ***** Member
9,102 Posts
aha, i see. sure i'll rerun it tomorrow. i'll take photos of the before (current) and after results of the eq shape, it's interesting what kind of difference it would make.
thanks
Hi,

Just to further reinforce what Feri is saying, any standardized microphone placement configurations you see are only meant to give you a starting point. Sometimes, people try those standardized configurations and everything works great on the first try. Sometimes, however, it is helpful to experiment a little to find out what actually works best in your particular room.

But the suggestion that Feri gave you for positions 7 and 8 should give you an excellent starting point.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi asere, apart from the good questions of Mike, I'd also like to know whether this is a one mic position measurement or an REW average of multiple point meaurements taken at and around MLP?
A one mic position of REW at MLP.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
A one mic position of REW at MLP.

Die hard room eq fans like the ones we are here (including yourself asere) already know that a one point measurement in space says nothing about what our ears are supposed to hear.

Doing a multiple measurement that is averaged in REW will also lack what Audyssey can achive with its sophisticated fuzzy logic based algorithm, but at least it will give you/us a "quick & dirty" assumption on what is going on in our rooms.

Care to setup your measurement rig again and do a multiple placement mic test? :)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Die hard room eq fans like the ones we are here (including yourself asere) already know that a one point measurement in space says nothing about what our ears are supposed to hear.

Doing a multiple measurement that is averaged in REW will also lack what Audyssey can achive with its sophisticated fuzzy logic based algorithm, but at least it will give you/us a "quick & dirty" assumption on what is going on in our rooms.

Care to setup your measurement rig again and do a multiple placement mic test? :)
Actually a long time ago when I had one sub I took multiple measurements with mic at MLP and moved the sub around but got horrible results. The current placement is best. I'll try multi measurements with both subs now and see.
Also what's the closest you can place one sub from another?

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Actually a long time ago when I had one sub I took multiple measurements with mic at MLP and moved the sub around but got horrible results. The current placement is best. I'll try multi measurements with both subs now and see.

Hard to say what is the closest placement for two subs, its your room to experiment. BTW, REW has a "Room Sim" feature where you can enter your room dimensions, number of subs, etc. and move them around with mouse while watching the resulting frequency response curves.

Theoretically it can give you a good estimate on "best placement", anyway it's fun to play around with it. Give it a try if you haven't done that so far. :)

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Regarding the new Denon AVRs and the app, I'm not clear -- if you buy one of the new AVRs, you automatically get Audyssey 'Pro', with the ability to limit Audyssey processing to just the bass (modal) frequencies?
As I u/stand there is no Audyssey Pro Kit anymore. You will have to separately buy the Audyssey remote app (will be available both for iOS and Android) and use it with your cellphone to create a custom curve to your liking.

·
AVS ***** Member
9,102 Posts

I like Feri's idea to try the room sim model. The closer two subs are, the more mutual coupling occurs (that sounds vaguely obscene :p), so the more gain you will get across the full frequency spectrum of the subs. But, at least in theory, the closer the subs are, the less opportunity there is for them to fill-in for each other from a frequency response standpoint. So, if the objective is to maximize gain, you can simply stack two subs, or put them side-by-side. But, if the objective is to maximize frequency response, close proximity is rarely a good solution.

Often, opposite walls (at 1/4 wall), or two corners on the same wall, or diagonal corners works well. As you know, getting two subs situated is a little more difficult than getting just one where it works best.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
As I u/stand there is no Audyssey Pro Kit anymore. You will have to separately buy the Audyssey remote app (will be available both for iOS and Android) and use it with your cellphone to create a custom curve to your liking.
Great ....but am I correct in thinking it will only work with the new Denon AVRs, and not , say, with an aging 4311CI?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I like Feri's idea to try the room sim model. The closer two subs are, the more mutual coupling occurs (that sounds vaguely obscene :p), so the more gain you will get across the full frequency spectrum of the subs. But, at least in theory, the closer the subs are, the less opportunity there is for them to fill-in for each other from a frequency response standpoint. So, if the objective is to maximize gain, you can simply stack two subs, or put them side-by-side. But, if the objective is to maximize frequency response, close proximity is rarely a good solution.

Often, opposite walls (at 1/4 wall), or two corners on the same wall, or diagonal corners works well. As you know, getting two subs situated is a little more difficult than getting just one where it works best.
I have gain now as the subs are stacked by design. Kk 12012.
I'll try the room SIM and spread them out.
Now from the graph I posted audyssey is better then the mcacc one, yes?

641 - 660 of 9070 Posts