AVS Forum banner

7761 - 7780 of 8612 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
2 Speaker questions pls:

I have two Polk Towers being used as Rear Surrounds in a 11.2 setup at the moment and 2 DefTech Bipolar BP9040s as side surrounds. Sometimes I feel that the rear towers might not disperse in the room enough or sound thin only because they are at ear level and If I did the bipolar 9040s as rear surround, it would be a much fuller sound - question one: would that really be the case?

Question 2, the reason why i haven't tried that is because then I will have to use the Polk Towers as side surrounds and my question is will the towers work as side surrounds b/c they dont come up to ear level and surrounds need to be at ear level or above by 2-3 ft. usually.

I have no way of raising the towers, and got kids around them so dont want them falling over - I either plan on using the towers as side surrounds if that's doable or just sell them and use 4 bipolar surrounds for sides and rear. any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
2 Speaker questions pls:

I have two Polk Towers being used as Rear Surrounds in a 11.2 setup at the moment and 2 DefTech Bipolar BP9040s as side surrounds. Sometimes I feel that the rear towers might not disperse in the room enough or sound thin only because they are at ear level and If I did the bipolar 9040s as rear surround, it would be a much fuller sound - question one: would that really be the case?

Question 2, the reason why i haven't tried that is because then I will have to use the Polk Towers as side surrounds and my question is will the towers work as side surrounds b/c they dont come up to ear level and surrounds need to be at ear level or above by 2-3 ft. usually.

I have no way of raising the towers, and got kids around them so dont want them falling over - I either plan on using the towers as side surrounds if that's doable or just sell them and use 4 bipolar surrounds for sides and rear. any help is appreciated, thanks!

The 2' to 3' above ear level for surrounds is outdated for today's receivers. Side surround tweeter level should be at ear level. My 6 bookshelf speakers are all at ear level, center would be also but I can't raise it up that far so I angle it with foam wedges so the tweeter, et al point towards my ears.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Which AVR do you have? If it has XT32 you will probably not experience any benefits using the Pro kit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel you may be a little confused; it is often recommended that you try to set the subwoofer gain so that Audyssey comes back with an initial sub trim well into the negative range in order to reduce the chance of clipping. You may have seen someone recommend -11 as a "sweet spot" for this. This is because Audyssey typically sets the subwoofer trim much lower than most folks prefer and you need "headroom" to be able to turn it up. Turning your subwoofer down post-calibration is not the same thing. ;)
Hi Alan, i am beginning to understand now. I have the Marantz 8802 pre paired with the denon poaa1hd amp. It does have XT32. You guessed it Alan, i was confused:) All sorted thanks for the help.

Attachments

Reactions: Alan P

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
2 Speaker questions pls:

The 2' to 3' above ear level for surrounds is outdated for today's receivers. Side surround tweeter level should be at ear level. My 6 bookshelf speakers are all at ear level, center would be also but I can't raise it up that far so I angle it with foam wedges so the tweeter, et al point towards my ears.
Hey b0rnarian,

You might want to check out the video in this article Audioholics just put on line, Video is at the bottom of the page. :) They might not like my view of things. In part I think it works for me is because it's usually just me watching the movie so I'm equidistant from the speaker pairs.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
2 Speaker questions pls:

Hey b0rnarian,

You might want to check out the video in this article Audioholics just put on line, Video is at the bottom of the page. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif They might not like my view of things. In part I think it works for me is because it's usually just me watching the movie so I'm equidistant from the speaker pairs.
Thank you Matt, my initial issue is the towers dont even come to ear level, especially for sides, though they might be okay for rear surrounds. And if i send the bipolars to the rear, theyd go pretty high which is also an issue as I want to keep distinctive space between them and the rear atmos speakers up on the corners of the ceiling. Maybe im already at optimal setup and overthinking this.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Thank you Matt, my initial issue is the towers dont even come to ear level, especially for sides, though they might be okay for rear surrounds. And if i send the bipolars to the rear, theyd go pretty high which is also an issue as I want to keep distinctive space between them and the rear atmos speakers up on the corners of the ceiling. Maybe im already at optimal setup and overthinking this.
Well, I'm somewhat limited as to what I can do in my small room. Mostly I figure if I like how it sounds that's all that matters to me ;)

I know when I dropped the side surrounds down from the old elevated position what I heard was much improved:)

I'll say, experiment as much as you want to ans find what works for you :D To go along with my previous photo I'll add my sub photo :eek:

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
A while back I had a conversation with Chris Kyriakakis on the subject as follows:

Me:
Recently I did some thinking to myself and came up with something like a brave idea. Well, ...brave to me, although this might have been brought up by others, so here goes.
Usually when we place the Audyssey mic (apart from MLP), we always have a guessing game whether its in the right position or not, and this dilemma is regardless of a multi-seater layout or a narrower one-man position.
So, to resolve the dilemma, how about doing/trying the following method in order to have first hand info (read: curves) of our room acoustics and its visible anomalies spot-by-spot:

1. Turn off Audyssey completely.
2. Set up the measuring rig for REW (or similar).
3. Take as many measurements as you can (20-30 maybe) around where you or your buddies will sit (optional), then average the results in REW. (Don't forget to take note of all the measurement spots, this info will be needed later on.)
4. Take a close scrutiny at all these measurement curves, overlap them in REW, note the similarities with regards to peaks and dips. Disregard where they are not similar.
5. Make a shortlist of 8 areas (1 MLP + 7 more) that are similar that you want to eq with Audyssey MultEQ.
6. Place the Audyssey mic to those selected areas and run MultEQ.

I know this procedure might be a bit tedious and time consuming, ...but hey,...are we in a hurry?

Chris: Pretty cool idea Feri. I would perhaps paraphrase step 5 to say: "look for any measurements that are dramatically different from the rest (e.g., major bass peak or dip, or diminished high frequencies) and avoid measuring there as it may end up skewing the filters".

Just something to think about! :)
This is not new...I have been using REW to determine the subwoofer placement even BEFORE the commencement of Audyssey calibration. I have found Audyssey to be rather accurate in its frequency response for the subwoofers but in terms if acoustical delay (distance), Audyssey may sometimes miss the mark. When something is off, you will know it. The only way is to re-do the whole calibration again but pay attention to the placement of the mic this time, usually is how high or low you place the mic. It will to a certain extent, affect the delay responses.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi guys!
2 quick questions:
- If I want to get a lower trim level for the sub after doing the calibration, how many measurement points do I need to run (minimum)? Just to know if I'm on the right track and then run a full calibration...
- How to properly set the phase of the sub?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Hi guys!
2 quick questions:
- If I want to get a lower trim level for the sub after doing the calibration, how many measurement points do I need to run (minimum)? Just to know if I'm on the right track and then run a full calibration...
- How to properly set the phase of the sub?

Thanks!
3 is the minimum

·
Registered
743 Posts
I ran Audyssey last night and it gave me really weird results on my almost full range speakers and large sub. First, it gave me crossover settings of 250Hz all around and said my sub output is too low! First of all, my tower speakers are spec'd to go down to 30 hz at -3 DB and my subwoofer was set at the 12:00 volume position and it is a outlaw audio ultra X12. So, these Odyssey readings are clearly way off. I perform the test in a dead silent room and measuring in six different positions.

Does Audyssey make these kind of errors? I also had the grills on the speakers do you think that makes a difference?

My AVR is a marantz SR6013.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I ran Audyssey last night and it gave me really weird results on my almost full range speakers and large sub. First, it gave me crossover settings of 250Hz all around and said my sub output is too low! First of all, my tower speakers are spec'd to go down to 30 hz at -3 DB and my subwoofer was set at the 12:00 volume position and it is a outlaw audio ultra X12. So, these Odyssey readings are clearly way off. I perform the test in a dead silent room and measuring in six different positions.

Does Audyssey make these kind of errors? I also had the grills on the speakers do you think that makes a difference?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

Not sure I agree with that 100% ! In my 7.1.4 setup with bipole side surrounds I have them just under 2ft above lowered from 7ft pre- atmos and direct radiating in the rear just above at 1ft to clear the backs of my recliners and 360 degree pans regardless of there dimensional axis are breath taking. Whats best for the room are best practices for sound reproduction and that remains true today:)

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Not sure I agree with that 100% ! In my 7.1.4 setup with bipole side surrounds I have them just under 2ft above lowered from 7ft pre- atmos and direct radiating in the rear just above at 1ft to clear the backs of my recliners and 360 degree pans regardless of there dimensional axis are breath taking. Whats best for the room are best practices for sound reproduction and that remains true today:)
I agree. I have a traditional 7.1 setup with bipole side and back surrounds mounted near the ceiling. Helicopters, bullets whizzing by, sounds to the sides and rear are extremely realistic. Never been in a real theater where speakers are mounted at ear level.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts

That's okay to not agree. If you read my follow up posts I had more to say such as, "You might want to check out the video in this article Audioholics just put on line, Video is at the bottom of the page. :) They might not like my view of things. In part I think it works for me is because it's usually just me watching the movie so I'm equidistant from the speaker pairs."

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
If I can also focus the convo to side surrounds, it seems bipolar speakers are made for side surrounds but comparatively what are ppls opinions on SVS prime elevations for side surrounding? Reason I am asking is my current SR9040 deftechs are fairly weak in my setup and are the only ones that shoot up to 150 crossover where the rest of the system sets at 80 or 90hz. And I am familiar with the svs elevations sound, price, quality as i already use 4 of them for atmos but wonder how they'll fair as side surrounds compared to maybe better biploars such as 9080s.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
That's okay to not agree. If you read my follow up posts I had more to say such as, "You might want to check out the video in this article Audioholics just put on line, Video is at the bottom of the page. :) They might not like my view of things. In part I think it works for me is because it's usually just me watching the movie so I'm equidistant from the speaker pairs."
I don't see any video. There are multiple links in the article. Which link is the video?

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
I don't see any video. There are multiple links in the article. Which link is the video?

I went to the page and the video is now at the top on the right side. It was at the bottom of the page:confused: Its in a red box with You Tube at the top and Subscribe to Our Channel at the bottom and a start ► button in the center.:)

·
AVS ***** Member
8,891 Posts

My AVR is a marantz SR6013.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hi,

No, Audyssey does not normally make those kinds of errors, but with electronic equipment, and especially with microprocessors, malfunctions do occasionally occur. (The speaker grilles would have made no difference at all with respect to what you are reporting.) Since there does seem to be something wrong here, at least with the speaker crossovers, the first thing I would try is a couple of microprocessor resets. Just consult your owner's manual on how to do that, and be sure to let the appropriate interval pass before restarting.

If that doesn't work, the next most likely culprit (actually, it's probably at least as likely) is your microphone. The Audyssey microphones do go bad sometimes. If so, you can buy a replacement microphone on Amazon. Although you will see different AVR model numbers associated with the mics, all of the tower-shaped mics are interchangeable.

If you don't mind posting what the ultimate fix is, it may help others who experience similar issues.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I went to the page and the video is now at the top on the right side. It was at the bottom of the page:confused: Its in a red box with You Tube at the top and Subscribe to Our Channel at the bottom and a start ► button in the center.:)
Not helpful. That box takes you to multiple videos on their channel. If there is a specific one you are referring to, please post a direct link.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Not helpful. That box takes you to multiple videos on their channel. If there is a specific one you are referring to, please post a direct link.
That's weird because it works for me... I'll try putting the link in the following text You Tube

[Edit] I clicked on the You Tube above and it worked, again, for me...

7761 - 7780 of 8612 Posts