AVS Forum banner

8721 - 8740 of 8762 Posts

·
Registered
Marantz SR 7009/Anthem MXR 720; GE Triton 3; GE Supercenter XXL; GE SuperSat 3; GE SuperSub XXL
110 Posts
Hi guys, I posted this on another thread, but maybe here is better. Here goes:

One thing that intrigues me is the fact that, although I only have a 5.1 setup and set everything like that (and Audyssey acknowledges the 5.1), I always end up getting a 7.1+zone 2 amp assignment.

Shouldn't it be 5.1+zone 2?

Is it wrong to go to the amp assignment settings and change it from 7.1 to 5.1? If I do that, should I run a full calibration?
Just can't understand why this happens...

P. S. Although 7.1 is shown, the surround backs are set to Off...

Thank you

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have some pretty bad dips at 250 and 500. Wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions. I think the 250 one is a height room mode as the calculator says 242hz for the 1/6th spot. I am also limiting to 500hz so was thinking of changing to 400 or 600 to see what happens at the 500 spot.

graph has zero smoothing.

any ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
yes.. 14x17.

room treatments, toe in or distance from front wall placement an option? Distance from side, not much room with the screen

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
Most likely. The trick is determining where they should go. There are some things you can do to test this out. For example, just for kicks I put my body in between my speaker and the front wall, and then the side wall, to alter the space the waves occupy there while running a measurement. I was able to determine it was the side proximity causing a certain frequency cancellation as that one showed a difference when standing there. Crude, but it worked. Not sure how you're going to test out the ceiling theory though ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I moved the audyssey cutoff to 700 and added .5ms delay to the front speakers. Made a good difference. I tried all kinds of toe in, wall panels and nothing helped as much as this.

no smoothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
I moved the audyssey cutoff to 700 and added .5ms delay to the front speakers. Made a good difference. I tried all kinds of toe in, wall panels and nothing helped as much as this.
This is very interesting result. Which made the difference - the delay, or the correction limit? Were your previous runs full correction, or was the change to 700 an increase in correction? (your prior runs set to a lower cutoff)

Thank you. Very helpful results.

Pip

·
Registered
216 Posts
It used to be cut off at 500. The distance (delay) made the biggest change but letting audyssey correct past 500 worked best. I have another similar dip at 1500. I cant tweak the distance anymore or will mess up the 250/500 but am going to try letting audyseey correct to 2000. actually i dont like the roll off so might let it correct all the way and see what happens.

this is an average across 3 seats.

this graph is 1/12 smoothed since into the higher range now. but you can see the dip. Let me play a little more this week.

NOTE: this has my sub house curve unlike the other graphs.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
haha.. sorry... yes for this test it was. I was measuring some compression during the same measuring as the midrange tweaks.

it won't be like that for the final tune.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Soulburner

·
Registered
216 Posts
full audyssey on LR, disabled on the subs. DEQ- ON. Seems much better.. Averaged across 4 seats 1/12th smoothing. Need to add a bid more low end (not 30DB :))

Attachments

Reactions: pbz06

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hi all! Just got the Denon AVR-X1600H. I ran the Audyssey set up, and then changed all speakers to small with 80hz crossover since I have a subwoofer. I used the test tones and SPL meter and had to adjust manually to make my 5.1 set up the same dB for the main seating position.

1. Does this mean that I didn't choose the 8 positions correctly?
2. Did Audyssey still do anything for me since I changed the crossover frequency and dB for each speaker? Should I re-run and leave the dB and crossover frequencies as is?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hi all! Just got the Denon AVR-X1600H. I ran the Audyssey set up, and then changed all speakers to small with 80hz crossover since I have a subwoofer. I used the test tones and SPL meter and had to adjust manually to make my 5.1 set up the same dB for the main seating position.

2. Did Audyssey still do anything for me since I changed the crossover frequency and dB for each speaker? Should I re-run and leave the dB and crossover frequencies as is?
The internal test tones bypass any Audyssey filters, so they won't be as accurate. Also, if you made similar adjustments to each channel, it's likely down to meter variance. My guess is the Audyssey mic is more accurate. Keep in mind that most meters aren't very good especially with bass frequencies below 50hz.

Changing crossovers has no effect on the Audyssey filters, as long as you RAISE instead of lower.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts

Hi,

Actually Audyssey uses the 1st mic position (MLP) only to set levels (and distances).
Here's a quote from Chris Kyriakakis (author of Audyssey) on how it sets levels:

Qte

"Audyssey measures the entire frequency response of each speaker. The chirps are "full range" even though it's hard to hear the low frequencies in the beginning. After that the energy under the 500-2k range is analyzed to produce an SPL estimate. The trim is the difference between that estimate and 75 dB SPL. Subwoofer channel same as above, but the range it looks over is 30-80 Hz."

Unqte

I think it would be better to reset the values (dB trims) originally set by Audyssey, you may not need to rerun MultEQ. Crossover at 80 Hz is OK.

·
Registered
Gary Garrison's set-up
1,409 Posts
Hi,

Actually Audyssey uses the 1st mic position (MLP) only to set levels (and distances).
Here's a quote from Chris Kyriakakis (author of Audyssey) on how it sets levels:

Qte

"Audyssey measures the entire frequency response of each speaker. The chirps are "full range" even though it's hard to hear the low frequencies in the beginning. After that the energy under the 500-2k range is analyzed to produce an SPL estimate. The trim is the difference between that estimate and 75 dB SPL. Subwoofer channel same as above, but the range it looks over is 30-80 Hz."

Unqte

I think it would be better to reset the values (dB trims) originally set by Audyssey, you may not need to rerun MultEQ. Crossover at 80 Hz is OK.
Hi Feri,

I agree with all of the above.

I clicked on your "my setup" to take a look at your living room/library/music room once again. As before, I love the woodwork, shelves, etc. What is your view like? Can you provide a picture?

I tried inserting pictures of my setup a few years ago, and got so much garble in Martian cuneiform that took about 1/2 hour to remove that it discouraged me. I may try again. How did you get your text and pictures into your link "my setup?"

8721 - 8740 of 8762 Posts