AVS Forum banner

8741 - 8760 of 8762 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks for the responses. From what you've all said, it sounds like it's best to re-run Audyssey and leave the dB as is, but change the speakers to small and crossover frequency to 80hz.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I don't think the Denon has Audyssey sweeps.
The "sweeps" are the whoop-whoop noises that Audyssey makes during calibration.

As others have pointed out, using the Denon test tones to check Audyssey's speaker levels is a bad idea because the test tones bypass the Audyssey calibration filters. If you want to know if the Audyssey-determined levels are accurate, you'll need to measure the speaker levels while Audyssey is operating. You should use test tones from an audio setup CD or setup DVD, with Audyssey turned on, to check speaker levels using a sound pressure meter. Also, be aware that many sound pressure meters are inaccurate when measuring SPL's from subwoofers.

I have one of the old analog Radio Shack SPL meters. When the meter is on a tripod at the main listening position, with its mic pointed to the ceiling, speaker test tones from Avia or Speers and Munsil test DVDs are always equal within 1-2 dB of each other, which is within the measurement error of the Audyssey mic.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

As others have pointed out, using the Denon test tones to check Audyssey's speaker levels is a bad idea because the test tones bypass the Audyssey calibration filters. If you want to know if the Audyssey-determined levels are accurate, you'll need to measure the speaker levels while Audyssey is operating. You should use test tones from an audio setup CD or setup DVD, with Audyssey turned on, to check speaker levels using a sound pressure meter. Also, be aware that many sound pressure meters are inaccurate when measuring SPL's from subwoofers.

I have one of the old analog Radio Shack SPL meters. When the meter is on a tripod at the main listening position, with its mic pointed to the ceiling, speaker test tones from Avia or Speers and Munsil test DVDs are always equal within 1-2 dB of each other, which is within the measurement error of the Audyssey mic.
Thanks! I also used the old analog Radio Shack SPL meter. I guess I chose the 8 positions incorrectly, as my back surrounds were way too loud. I'll try the Audyssey again

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Thanks! I also used the old analog Radio Shack SPL meter. I guess I chose the 8 positions incorrectly, as my back surrounds were way too loud. I'll try the Audyssey again
Did you have DEQ enabled when checking (from an external source like a disk) and a reduced volume from 0?

But to reiterate what others have said, I've done so many Audyssey calibrations/testing/tweaking I'm very confident in its ability to set distances correctly along with SPL levels. Very rarely does a speaker level vary for me more than 0.5dB-1dB per each run on the same speaker. And when I check it with my own SPL meter, they are relatively balanced with each other as well (other than whatever delta variance is between the audyssey mic and my SPL).

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Have a question in regards to using the rs meter after everything was already set via audessey. When using the test tones i thought the rs meter does not measure correctly or is way off per se.. master volume 0 the levels wont get to 70 or 75db without changing the speaker levels what audessey had set for the levels.. or am i way off. Just asking

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Have a question in regards to using the rs meter after everything was already set via audessey. When using the test tones i thought the rs meter does not measure correctly or is way off per se..
As I and others have said, the receiver's built-in test tones will bypass the levels that Audyssey has set. If you want to double-check the speaker levels, you need another source of test tones that you can play through the AVR while Audyssey is turned on and Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume are turned off. Such sources can include an audio test CD or SACD, or a video setup BluRay or DVD that has audio test tones: CNET review of BluRay setup discs

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Hi Feri,

I agree with all of the above.

I clicked on your "my setup" to take a look at your living room/library/music room once again. As before, I love the woodwork, shelves, etc. What is your view like? Can you provide a picture?

I tried inserting pictures of my setup a few years ago, and got so much garble in Martian cuneiform that took about 1/2 hour to remove that it discouraged me. I may try again. How did you get your text and pictures into your link "my setup?"
Hi Gary, thanks for your compliments on my setup. If you mean view through the window, then this is what I see:

Inserting pictures to a post is very easy, just select "insert image" from the toolbar below the message window and all you need to do is "drag and drop" the image. Some resizing may be required, though.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts

And keep in mind Audyssey is averaging over a band. I think it was 500-2000 Hz or so. I wouldn't rely on any test tones at all.

·
Registered
Marantz SR6013, Ohm Walsh3 towers, Ohm Mini-Walsh surrounds, Ohm SB-12 sub
7 Posts
Want to try to incorporate Audy XT32 into a DynaQuad hookup with the Marantz SR6013.. The Dynaco QD-1 Quadaptor uses the Hafler connection scheme to route left and right ambience (difference) signals derived from a 2-channel stereo amplifier to the two surround speakers. The effect is quite realistic for classical music, adding a perceived depth without the odd spacial effects of synthesized surround, such as hearing french horns in the upper balcony or the like. You can also control the volume of the surrounds to the particular music playing.

The reason for wanting Audy correction is that without it the DEQ and dynamic volume functions are not available. These are quite useful for playing music in the great room at lower levels which the wife will tolerate. The DynaQuad config files would be stored on a 2nd thumb drive, with the 5.1 Home Theater configs on the first thumb drive. DynaQuad for music, 5.1 Dolby for encoded surround sources. The idea is to load the config of choice from the thumb drive using the AVR Restore function.

To equip this scheme without having to buy an additional two-channel amp, two stereo amp switches were added, one for the fronts and the second for the rears. In the SR6013, you can assign the rear height amps to the B front speakers with a 7.1 system. I connected the rear height outputs to the Quadaptor stereo inputs through the switches, needed so that the A and B front amps never see each other, which could lead to fireworks. Due to troubles with the Audy phone app, haven't yet run the correction process with the Front speaker selection set to the B speakers. Of course, when selecting the B speakers as fronts the Audyssey function is disabled, requiring a recal with that setting. Haven't yet confirmed that Audy will forward the front test signals out the rear height terminals and on to the Quadaptor inputs. The speaker configuration would be set to 2.1 stereo, as test chirps don't seem to make it to the surrounds through the Quadaptor. Unclear why not just yet. But that's not a deal breaker for this purpose. The Quadaptor was designed to be used with 70's era stereos which had a balance control or individual gain controls so that you could null out the ambience channels with equal amplitude in-phase stereo signals (preferably sine waves).

The wife is out tomorrow for 6 hours so I'll give it a try and report back. If it works in the AVR, it should work with the app as well, if I ever get that working reliably.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello there. This is my first time with Audyssey XT32 calibration (through Denon 3700H). It works fine calibrated through the receiver, but when I try to use the app... it tests my subwoofer (no problem), then test tones the Front L speaker, which produces no sound! It seems to hang at this step in the calibration.
When I cancel setup and rerun through the receiver, it works just fine. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Want to try to incorporate Audy XT32 into a DynaQuad hookup with the Marantz SR6013.. The Dynaco QD-1 Quadaptor uses the Hafler connection scheme to route left and right ambience (difference) signals derived from a 2-channel stereo amplifier to the two surround speakers. The effect is quite realistic for classical music, adding a perceived depth without the odd spacial effects of synthesized surround, such as hearing french horns in the upper balcony or the like. You can also control the volume of the surrounds to the particular music playing.

The reason for wanting Audy correction is that without it the DEQ and dynamic volume functions are not available. These are quite useful for playing music in the great room at lower levels which the wife will tolerate. The DynaQuad config files would be stored on a 2nd thumb drive, with the 5.1 Home Theater configs on the first thumb drive. DynaQuad for music, 5.1 Dolby for encoded surround sources. The idea is to load the config of choice from the thumb drive using the AVR Restore function.

To equip this scheme without having to buy an additional two-channel amp, two stereo amp switches were added, one for the fronts and the second for the rears. In the SR6013, you can assign the rear height amps to the B front speakers with a 7.1 system. I connected the rear height outputs to the Quadaptor stereo inputs through the switches, needed so that the A and B front amps never see each other, which could lead to fireworks. Due to troubles with the Audy phone app, haven't yet run the correction process with the Front speaker selection set to the B speakers. Of course, when selecting the B speakers as fronts the Audyssey function is disabled, requiring a recal with that setting. Haven't yet confirmed that Audy will forward the front test signals out the rear height terminals and on to the Quadaptor inputs. The speaker configuration would be set to 2.1 stereo, as test chirps don't seem to make it to the surrounds through the Quadaptor. Unclear why not just yet. But that's not a deal breaker for this purpose. The Quadaptor was designed to be used with 70's era stereos which had a balance control or individual gain controls so that you could null out the ambience channels with equal amplitude in-phase stereo signals (preferably sine waves).

The wife is out tomorrow for 6 hours so I'll give it a try and report back. If it works in the AVR, it should work with the app as well, if I ever get that working reliably.
(10-17-20) Scheme worked well today, in that switching configs with thumb drives is easy, takes about a minute. Will continue to troubleshoot the app through the app thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello there. This is my first time with Audyssey XT32 calibration (through Denon 3700H). It works fine calibrated through the receiver, but when I try to use the app... it tests my subwoofer (no problem), then test tones the Front L speaker, which produces no sound! It seems to hang at this step in the calibration.
When I cancel setup and rerun through the receiver, it works just fine. Any thoughts?
I've had about the same issue as you. You'll want to jump over to the Audyssey app thread on this forum. While there are over three years of posts (thousands) to wade through, members have left good tips and fixes there. My take after reading them and 2 weeks of frustration is that the app is a crap shoot with Android. I tried running the app in the Memu Android emulator under Windows 10, couldn't even get the app to find my AVR. So the issues go beyond just my Android 10 phone. One post says try Memu in Windows 7, but who wants to go back to that world. I don't think the price of an iPhone or iPad is justified on the basis of the Audy app alone. I'm content to wait for the update process to roll on and try again next year. Or better yet, ask Santa for a miniDSP with Dirac Live.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't put too much stock into the earlier posts, though. Many of the bugs have been fixed and so a lot of the initial information in the thread is no longer relevant.
Acknowledge what you are saying, SoulBurner. But some of us just starting still have the issues, which is relevant. Perhaps we're a small minority. I hope so.

·
Registered
Gary Garrison's set-up
1,409 Posts
Hi all,

Well I finally got my set up under "discussions," under "garygarrison's set-up," not surprisingly. I'm still not sure how to get a link into my signature, but I'll try. So people who want to take a look could either try going straight to "discussions, garygarrison's set-up," or click on the link, if I've managed to get one on. Please let me know if both text and pictures came through. Thanks.

_

Gary Garrison's set-up
Here is our Music Room/Library/Home Theater, photographed with a pretty bad flash unit. Captions are below each picture. The room is 25 ft. long by 16 ft 9 in. wide, with a sloped ceiling, highest in the rear, that averages 10 ft. 2 in, high, running from 8 ft.6 in. to 11ft. 10in. Full...
www.avsforum.com
www.avsforum.com

www.avsforum.com

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
^
Here:

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Hi all,

Well I finally got my set up under "discussions," under "garygarrison's set-up," not surprisingly. I'm still not sure how to get a link into my signature, but I'll try. So people who want to take a look could either try going straight to "discussions, garygarrison's set-up," or click on the link, if I've managed to get one on. Please let me know if both text and pictures came through. Thanks.
Beautiful room Gary. Surely incomparable to anything else! Congrats and thanks for sharing these pictures! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Audyssey and extension cable question...

I have my Denon AVR x3700h in another room, so I needed an extension cable for the Audyssey mic.
When I went to do the SW level matching before the actual calibration it was reporting >75dB even when the sub was turned all the way to 0.
To investigate I brought the mc into the room with the avr and plugged the Audyssey cable directly into the receiver and was getting readings in the low 50s. If I then plugged the extension cable into the receiver with or without even connecting the Audyssy mic I was getting 70s again.
I tried another cable today and it still reads in the low 60s with or without being connected to the mic or any actual audio being present while the Audyssey cable reads in the low 50s.

I just checked the sound level in the same location I have the receiver in using an app on my iphone and that reads 38dB! Now Im really confused as to what is going on

Questions
1. Should I still go through the whole Audyssey thing knowing that the sub level will be off by about 10dB? Or will everything be off by the same 10dB so it wont matter?

2. Where can I get a cable that wont have this effect? I tried 2 different cables that claimed they had been used for Audyssey configuration before but clearly they are not producing the same exact data as the Audyssy mic/cable would alone.

3. Assuming Audyssey is correct, why would my phone be off by over 10dB? And how does an extension cable not hooked up to a microphone read 60+dB?
Is there a problem with my Audyssey mic or my receiver?

Thanks

·
Registered
Gary Garrison's set-up
1,409 Posts
Others, with more knowledge of electronics, will give you better answers.

Shooting in the dark, reflecting what I have heard from others.

Is your extension cable picking up Hum? (and a lot of it?) It used to be that a unbalanced mic (2 wires instead of 3) was unsuitable for long, two wire, cable runs. Maybe the tech has improved since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

BUT, I know that others have used extension cables with no problem. How long is your extension cable?

If your refrigerator is within 7 leagues of your receiver, unplug it (temporarily).

Is your house wiring main attached to a good ground (like a stake driven into the ground, either through a vampire's heart, or not)?

iphone SPL meters may be off in the bass. Even some good SPL meters are.

Audyssey may be able to deal with all this. It may be able to compensate for initial missadjustment.

As a last resort, disconnect your receiver and move it close to the listening area, so you can run Audyssey calibration using the short mic cable that came with the microphone.
__

Attachments

8741 - 8760 of 8762 Posts