AVS Forum banner

9001 - 9020 of 9042 Posts

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Sorry, if it's been pointed to before. But is there a 4K Calibration Blu-Ray that has the required test tones to check each individual level of my speakers. I was corrected to not use the test tones in the Denon X4500 amp as they bypass the Audyssey settings.

I also re-ran Audyssey setup (was surprised that they updated it, at least the screens and walk-through probably in one of the firmware updates) and my 9.1 Atmos setup now sounds totally different. I agree, I will wait a week to let my ears settle in but I think it does sound a bit more like the theatre even though it may be a bit muffled from what I'm experienced to. But I probably mucked up the settings before anyway.

I do have the Disney WOW DVD and wondering if it was any good. I've looked on Amazon for any others, but the other seems to be rated for pros with really no documentation. I guess what I'm looking for (because my Sony OLED was professionally calibrated already) is just something that will put out standard reference tones.

Maybe there is a link to an .iso that I can create a DVD that outputs the tones?

Thanks in advance.
What are you using to measure the SPL?

Do you have a laptop with HDMI handy? If so, download REW and use it's tone generator (specifically, Pink Noise @ -30dBfs).

Otherwise, you can find some good test tones here.

EDIT: AFAIK, the WOW disc should work just fine for you. Just remember that the LFE (subwoofer) test tone on the WOW disc will be +10dB higher than the others. Also, AFAIK, there are no Atmos test discs yet that will send tones to the Atmos speakers, but that may have changed recently.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
What are you using to measure the SPL?

Do you have a laptop with HDMI handy? If so, download REW and use it's tone generator (specifically, Pink Noise @ -30dBfs).

Otherwise, you can find some good test tones here.

EDIT: AFAIK, the WOW disc should work just fine for you. Just remember that the LFE (subwoofer) test tone on the WOW disc will be +10dB higher than the others. Also, AFAIK, there are no Atmos test discs yet that will send tones to the Atmos speakers, but that may have changed recently.
Thanks, I'm lucky to have worked at Radio Shack when I put myself through college and have one of the original official Radio Shack SPL meter with C weighting. Very accurate. Thanks for the link.

Reactions: Alan P

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Thanks, I'm lucky to have worked at Radio Shack when I put myself through college and have one of the original official Radio Shack SPL meter with C weighting. Very accurate. Thanks for the link.
I have one of the old Rat Shack meters myself, have had it for probably going on 30 years now. It never leaves my side table. :)

While it's not much of an issue when using full band pink noise, keep in mind that the RS meter is not that accurate when it comes to sub frequencies. Luckily, someone came up with a correction table long, long ago.

Reactions: mogorf

·
Registered
751 Posts
@Bookworm370

Here you go

This is a test tone for atmos 9.1.6

@Alan P

That link you provided is fantastic. I used to use it years ago but forgot about it, thanks for the reminder. Great way for training the ears and learning how to listen 👍

Jim

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I have one of the old Rat Shack meters myself, have had it for probably going on 30 years now. It never leaves my side table. :)

While it's not much of an issue when using full band pink noise, keep in mind that the RS meter is not that accurate when it comes to sub frequencies. Luckily, someone came up with a correction table long, long ago.
Will do, The one I have is about 10 years older I'm afraid to say. But they made them good in those days!

BTW, I don't have a USB microphone for my MAC. Any suggestions for one on Amazon that doesn't cost a C note?
I didn't look but can I plug in the 3.5MM to 3.5MM audio in on the MAC from the Radio Shack meter. I forgot if that jack is an output or input.

If not, I don't have a continuing need for a USB mic, but I don't want to buy one that doesn't have the frequency response required by REW.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Will do, The one I have is about 10 years older I'm afraid to say. But they made them good in those days!

BTW, I don't have a USB microphone for my MAC. Any suggestions for one on Amazon that doesn't cost a C note?
I didn't look but can I plug in the 3.5MM to 3.5MM audio in on the MAC from the Radio Shack meter. I forgot if that jack is an output or input.

If not, I don't have a continuing need for a USB mic, but I don't want to buy one that doesn't have the frequency response required by REW.

Thanks
UMIK-1 is what you want if you're contemplating REW.

Reactions: Bookworm370

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Ouch, 100 bucks or a 'C' note! Anything other that would give me good not perfect results. I'm not a pro tech.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Ouch, 100 bucks or a 'C' note! Anything other that would give me good not perfect results. I'm not a pro tech.
Well, the UMM-6 is slightly cheaper (~$75)...but IME it shows in it's build quality. I dropped mine once from about 3' onto carpet and the barrel separated from the base.

You can use the EMM-6 (~$60), but you will need phantom power and a mic preamp.

Besides that, I don't know of any other mics that will work with REW.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Well, the UMM-6 is slightly cheaper (~$75)...but IME it shows in it's build quality. I dropped mine once from about 3' onto carpet and the barrel separated from the base.

Thanks for the recommendations. For $25 bucks I'd rather have one that I know will work. But, I'm not a pod-caster so it will sit in a drawer for months on end.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations. For $25 bucks I'd rather have one that I know will work. But, I'm not a pod-caster so it will sit in a drawer for months on end.
The UMM-6 will work exactly like the UMIK-1 in all respects....you just have to treat it with kid gloves. :)

Reactions: Bookworm370

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Hi Bookworm370,

I know the Gurus are going to kill me for this, but you can freely try and use your Audyssey mic which you already have. The results might be "quick and dirty", but at least its free of charge and in this way you can at least get acquainted with the use of REW (which also has its own leaning curve). Later on when you have enough practice with REW you may have the feeling 100 bucks isn't that much when you want to step up from being a "no-pro-tech" to "pro-tech". Go step by step into this wonderful world of audio. It'll pay off and you won't want to come back to the beginning again.

Hope this help you out in the initial stage of entering audio nirvana! :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
How well FLAT works for you can depend not only on your speakers and their placement, but also on whether you have high frequency hearing loss, and also on the size of your room and what acoustic treatments are present. I have a relatively small (12x13) room with wall-to-wall carpet and cd/bookshelves on the side walls. I don't need a roll-off on high frequencies, so FLAT sounds better than REFERENCE except on overly bright source material (e.g., the BluRay issue of Lawrence of Arabia).
I have been using Flat now for 4-5 days and I quite like it. I'm gonna keep using it for now. I have relatively flat natural sounding speakers. Room is small to medium I guess. No room treatments which I should look into.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Might still be in the classifieds:
Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone.
I've brought a Denon AVC-X3700 and Audyssey multiEq Editor.
App shows that "Connection lost" after checking "Position 1".
Phone and receiver are in the one wi-fi network and no disconnects.
Buid-in Audyssey works just fine.
Any solutions?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Hello everyone.
Any solutions?
If it's an Android phone, then the likely explanation is that the Android version of the app is buggy. Most of the negative comments in this forum about such issues seem to be about the Android app.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts

Bite the bullet today and ordered the UMIK-1 new in box. Now to spend endless days and nagging wife playing with everything. Even though I'm not sure how to do the little tweaking without messing up the Audyssey equalization's.

·
Registered
Gary Garrison's set-up
1,434 Posts
@Bookworm370 ,
  1. Don't use "Copy" or "Base" (not bass) "Curve Copy," or whatever your receiver or pre-pro (AVP) calls it. It makes a very crude copy that does not preserve Audyssey's EQ at hundreds of points. Chris K., the Chief Technical Officer at Audyssey, and one of the designers, had some very negative things to say about it. I think he said that it lowered the quality of the EQ quite a lot, and was "... worse than useless."
  2. One tweak you can use is after Audyssey calibration you can readjust the subwoofer. Don't do it before, or Audyssey will just return it to flat. Most people need to turn it up several dB to taste. There are too many reasons that this is true to discuss them here, but suffice it to say that part of it is the fault of the CD and SACD companies, and part of it is because while you want to get the kinks out of your frequency response curve, as well as major peaks and dips, most people don't like nearly perfectly flat sound. Several researchers have found that not only do most people prefer the Bass end of the curve to be elevated by up to 9 dB, and the high treble dipped down a little, these same people think that kind of curve sounds FLAT! Use the level setting or gain knob on the subwoofer itself which will adjust the bass below crossover and also below the LPF for LFE. If you need more than the sub gain will provide, you can use the AVR, but some clip easily. Mike outlines how to do this without clipping the line driver in the AVR or the AVP in his Guide: Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences Check his Cliff Notes section first. His whole Guide, as long as it is, is good reading. It has been called "the War and Peace of audio optimization."
  3. If you listen significantly below reference levels, say between -10 and -20, you may want to use DEQ as a tweak when playing at low volume. I don't like it, but many do. Another alternative comes on when you turn DEQ OFF: the tone controls. The bass control provides up to 6 dB boost, as does the treble. Preamp controls used to boost to +20 dB for the bass and, usually, to +18 for the treble!. Those were the days. I surveyed my old audiophile friends, and discovered most of them (virtually all) in the 1960s/1970s vinyl days used bass + 2 (8 dB on my McIntosh) and treble +1 (+4 dB on the Mac). We were unafraid. There were a very few so-called golden eared audiophiles, admirers of the emperor's new clothes, around to chide us. Our speakers ranged from OK to excellent.
  4. I put labels on my CDs, SACDs, and Blu-rays with my EQ preferences on them. Sometimes I change my mind later, but not usually. I always have Audyssey ON, usually with Audyssey Flat in my treated room (see below).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hello everyone.
Any solutions?
THis happens to me all the time w/Android app and my 750H. But just back out and then re-select receiver, then it works as expected. Sometimes, I open the network interface for 750H from computer just to make sure 750H ethernet working.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
@Bookworm370 ,
  1. Don't use "Copy" or "Base" (not bass) "Curve Copy," or whatever your receiver or pre-pro (AVP) calls it. It makes a very crude copy that does not preserve Audyssey's EQ at hundreds of points. Chris K., the Chief Technical Officer at Audyssey, and one of the designers, had some very negative things to say about it. I think he said that it lowered the quality of the EQ quite a lot, and was "... worse than useless."
  2. One tweak you can use is after Audyssey calibration you can readjust the subwoofer. Don't do it before, or Audyssey will just return it to flat. Most people need to turn it up several dB to taste. There are too many reasons that this is true to discuss them here, but suffice it to say that part of it is the fault of the CD and SACD companies, and part of it is because while you want to get the kinks out of your frequency response curve, as well as major peaks and dips, most people don't like nearly perfectly flat sound. Several researchers have found that not only do most people prefer the Bass end of the curve to be elevated by up to 9 dB, and the high treble dipped down a little, these same people think that kind of curve sounds FLAT! Use the level setting or gain knob on the subwoofer itself which will adjust the bass below crossover and also below the LPF for LFE. If you need more than the sub gain will provide, you can use the AVR, but some clip easily. Mike outlines how to do this without clipping the line driver in the AVR or the AVP in his Guide: Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences Check his Cliff Notes section first. His whole Guide, as long as it is, is good reading. It has been called "the War and Peace of audio optimization."
  3. If you listen significantly below reference levels, say between -10 and -20, you may want to use DEQ as a tweak when playing at low volume. I don't like it, but many do. Another alternative comes on when you turn DEQ OFF: the tone controls. The bass control provides up to 6 dB boost, as does the treble. Preamp controls used to boost to +20 dB for the bass and, usually, to +18 for the treble!. Those were the days. I surveyed my old audiophile friends, and discovered most of them (virtually all) in the 1960s/1970s vinyl days used bass + 2 (8 dB on my McIntosh) and treble +1 (+4 dB on the Mac). We were unafraid. There were a very few so-called golden eared audiophiles, admirers of the emperor's new clothes, around to chide us. Our speakers ranged from OK to excellent.
  4. I put labels on my CDs, SACDs, and Blu-rays with my EQ preferences on them. Sometimes I change my mind later, but not usually. I always have Audyssey ON, usually with Audyssey Flat in my treated room (see below).
Thanks, I will go though everything before even daring to make any change. And read the the great references you posted. !

9001 - 9020 of 9042 Posts