AVS Forum banner

9021 - 9040 of 9042 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I have the audyssey mobile app. The following pertain to that.

My set up is as follows:

LCR: JBL Studio 590

Surrounds: JBL Studio 580

Rear surrounds: Martin Logan MLT2

Subwoofer: Klipsch R112SW

Receiver: Denon x4400h

I ran audyssey using only the first three measurements as I feel that is enough clustering in my space. I have given below the room correction results.

The DB levels are as follows. For the sub I bumped it from -9.0 db to -5.0 db.

I have the midrange compensation turned off. I will be making a few adjustments later like limiting the frequency range to 300hz for all channels and putting in a room curve. I have not done it in the illustration below so that I don't see the jaggedness in the curve. So for this illustration all channels have a frequency range upto 20000hz.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Why does the subwoofer target corrected curve show two dips at 50hz and 70hz? I set the crossover at 80hz. So I am less concerned about any nulls beyond that. However the two nulls under 80hz is concerning me. I know that the target curve is more of a prediction rather than actual measurements but does this mean audyssey is telling me that there is something wrong in my set up due to which it is unable to do a flat response at 50hz and 70hz? Due to some constraints I am unable to either change the sub location or seating. Is there going to be any negative impact due to this and can I live with this or are there any easy corrections?

2. Why are the rear surrounds starting so much deep in the negative db territory and coming up? I realize the rear surrounds are bookshelf Martin Logan MLT2 speakers that don't match the JBLs in LCR and surrounds. But they seem to have a steep rolloff at the lower end. Do I need to be concerned about these or are there other adjustments I need to make like changing the crossover for those specific rear surrounds to say 140hz or so?

3. Do the other channels look ok?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I have the audyssey mobile app. The following pertain to that.

My set up is as follows:

LCR: JBL Studio 590

Surrounds: JBL Studio 580

Rear surrounds: Martin Logan MLT2

Subwoofer: Klipsch R112SW

Receiver: Denon x4400h

I ran audyssey using only the first three measurements as I feel that is enough clustering in my space. I have given below the room correction results.

I have the midrange compensation turned off. I will be making a few adjustments later like limiting the frequency range to 300hz for all channels and putting in a room curve. I have not done it in the illustration below so that I don't see the jaggedness in the curve. So for this illustration all channels have a frequency range upto 20000hz.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Why does the subwoofer target corrected curve show two dips at 50hz and 70hz? I set the crossover at 80hz. So I am less concerned about any nulls beyond that. However the two nulls under 80hz is concerning me. I know that the target curve is more of a prediction rather than actual measurements but does this mean audyssey is telling me that there is something wrong in my set up due to which it is unable to do a flat response at 50hz and 70hz? Due to some constraints I am unable to either change the sub location or seating. Is there going to be any negative impact due to this and can I live with this or are there any easy corrections?

2. Why are the rear surrounds starting so much deep in the negative db territory and coming up?

3. Do the other channels look ok?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
1. Those dips are nulls/cancellations, or just troughs, which depend on your room interactions with your subs. No amount of EQ can fix them completely (troughs can sometimes be mitigated if you have enough headroom); only playing around with placement and measurements to find the best locations for your sub combos. If you look at the pre- graph, there's a big dip. I'm betting Audyssey tried boosted part of or the entire response to a certain amount (bringing the bottom of the graph up as much as possible), and then trimmed the peaks. Either way, really need to measure to know what's happening truly.

2. I don't see your dB levels and I'm not positive what you are asking, but my guess is your surrounds are closer to listening position and need additional trims to balance them out with your mains.

3. Yes, you have good solid response on all your channels. Your subwoofer can use some tweaking with locations (or what I did, use minidsp to play with alignments between the subs first).

If you have REW and umik-1, it would be good to measure the graph as a full range sweep. Those troughs or mini nulls might not even show up or be noticeable, since your speakers have good extension. You would be able to assess with 60hz crossovers and see if the overlap of frequencies at the crossover give you a smooth response anyway.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
1. Those dips are nulls/cancellations, or just troughs, which depend on your room interactions with your subs. No amount of EQ can fix them completely (troughs can be mitigated if you have enough headroom); only playing around with placement and measurements to find the best locations for your sub combos. If you look at the pre- graph, there's a big dip. I'm betting Audyssey boosted the entire response to a certain amount (bringing the bottom of the graph up as much as possible), and then trimmed the peaks.

2. I don't see your dB levels and I'm not positive what you are asking, but my guess is your surrounds are closer to listening position and need additional trims to balance them out with your mains.

3. Yes, you have good solid response on all your channels. Your subwoofer can use some tweaking with locations (or what I did, use minidsp to play with alignments between the subs first).

If you have REW and umik-1, it would be good to measure the graph as a full range sweep. Those troughs or mini nulls might not even show up or be noticeable, since your speakers have good extension. You would be able to assess with 60hz crossovers and see if the overlap of frequencies at the crossover give you a smooth response anyway.
I added the db levels in the main post. This is the link.

I have only one sub and no placement flexibility other than where it is currently behind the AT screen. My question is whether those nulls affect listening materially or do I need to do anything else to correct?

The question with the rear surrounds is I realize the rear surrounds are bookshelf Martin Logan MLT2 speakers that don't match the JBLs in LCR and surrounds. But they seem to have a steep rolloff at the lower end. Do I need to be concerned about these or are there other adjustments I need to make like reducing the crossover for those specific rear surrounds to say 140hz or so?

·
Registered
981 Posts
For comparing speakers, it's great having separate calibrations for Front A and Front B speaker sets. I can put one calibration in Preset 1 and the other in Preset 2 and switch between them.

However not having the ability to create a Front B calibration in the MultEQ app is disappointing. Does anyone know the best way to report this as an issue/feature request/bug to Audyssey?
I figured out that the MultiEQ app will calibrate whichever speakers are currently selected by the receiver (FRONT A or FRONT B).
See this post: "Official" Audyssey thread Part II

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I added the db levels in the main post. This is the link.

I have only one sub and no placement flexibility other than where it is currently behind the AT screen. My question is whether those nulls affect listening materially or do I need to do anything else to correct?

The question with the rear surrounds is that they are smaller bookshelf Martin Logan speakers and do not match the JBLs. Do I need to be concerned about the steep roll offs at the lower end and if I need to do anything about them.

Ah, I see. Your surrounds (and mains) are in the positives. It isn't necessarily an issue...are you using separate amplification? If so, you may need to adjust those higher to perhaps get in the negatives. But since I've had smaller rooms I've always been in the negatives, so someone else would be better suited to answer that part of your question. Wherever the crossovers were set by Audyssey, I like raising them usually from where AVR sets them after Audyssey: full octave for front LCR and at least 10hz for surrounds, but never lowering them.

For the subwoofers, if you are fixed at the locations, then that's just a compromise you have to make. It's not necessarily an issue, and only you can say if it's audible or they affect your experience. You can mess with the crossovers, and sometimes the overlap of frequencies still get you a nice smooth integration.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Ah, I see. Your surrounds (and mains) are in the positives. It isn't necessarily an issue...are you using separate amplification? If so, you may need to adjust those higher to perhaps get in the negatives. But since I've had smaller rooms I've always been in the negatives, so someone else would be better suited to answer that part of your question. Wherever the crossovers were set by Audyssey, I like raising them usually from where AVR sets them after Audyssey: full octave for front LCR and at least 10hz for surrounds, but never lowering them.

For the subwoofers, if you are fixed at the locations, then that's just a compromise you have to make. It's not necessarily an issue, and only you can say if it's audible or they affect your experience. You can mess with the crossovers, and sometimes the overlap of frequencies still get you a nice smooth integration.
I don't have a separate amplification. This is just what audyssey came back with. Are you saying change crossovers from 80?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Question. I re-run Audyssey yesterday on my Denon 2400h, and run into a problem where Audyssey measured one speaker two or three times in a row for some reason? Why is that? Calibration finished OK, but why the system had to re-run test sound more times on one speaker. I also think that the sound was louder every time it reruns on the same speaker. Problems with the mic?

Vel.

·
Registered
Gary Garrison's set-up
1,434 Posts
Was there room noise during the time you ran Audyssey? For instance, a washing machine or dryer, a noisy refrigerator, traffic noises outside? Audyssey is set up to make sure any ambient noise is soft enough not to interfere with the calibration. If not (if the signal to noise ratio is not large enough) Audyssey will repeat the pings at a higher volume, and will keep doing that until it can get a good reading, or the pings get loud enough to be dangerous or damaging.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I figured out that the MultiEQ app will calibrate whichever speakers are currently selected by the receiver (FRONT A or FRONT B).
Actually this isn't quite right. The MultiEQ app will calibrate whichever speakers were last calibrated using the receiver, using the current preset. Default is Front A. So if you want to calibrate Front B with the MultiEQ app, first you have to select the preset you want to calibrate, then do a quick run of Audyssey using the receiver (just the one time). In the Audyssey menu, before you press Start you must set Front B in the Channel Select menu. This sets the configuration that MultiEQ will use with that preset. You must do a full run-through with Audyssey using the receiver, otherwise Front B won't "stick". You can just do 3 measurements though, you don't need to do 8.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

I did the Audyssey calibration on my Marantz SR7008, which doesn't support the mobile app I think, and the calibration curves reduced the frequencies bellow 100Hz to almost -10dB from my Front R / L. Is that normal?

I feel the sound to be very flat, and I am really trying to improve the bass from my system.

Front: 2x Bowers Wilkins DM604 S3
Center 1x Bowers Wilkins HTM61 S2
Rear: 2x Bowers Wilkins CWM 664
Subwoofer: 1x Boston Acoustics ASW 650

Receiver: Marantz SR 7008
Bluray: Oppo 103 Darbee Edition

Crossover: 60Hz Front (Set as Small) // 80Hz Center (Set as Small) and Surround
Subwoofer: LFE at 120Hz
tempImageeOVWxb.png

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hi guys,

I did the Audyssey calibration on my Marantz SR7008, which doesn't support the mobile app I think, and the calibration curves reduced the frequencies bellow 100Hz to almost -10dB from my Front R / L. Is that normal?

I feel the sound to be very flat, and I am really trying to improve the bass from my system.

Subwoofer: LFE at 120Hz View attachment 3077632

Thanks!
If you have Dynamic Volume engaged - I suggest turning that off & turn on Dynamic EQ and see how that combination sounds.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Hi guys,

Subwoofer: LFE at 120Hz View attachment 3077632

Thanks!
Those MultEQ "results" screens are only a very rough approximating of what Audyssey did in your room. It could very well be correct that your mains need the bass reduced by that much if you consider room/boundary gain. Are you mains in a corner or very near walls?

It is normal for most folks to add anywhere from 3-6dB to the subwoofer level post-Audyssey. The reason for this is Audyssey corrects for a completely flat response, but human ears are less sensitive to the lower frequencies (Google Harmon Curve or Equal Loudness Contour). DEQ tries to overcome this by boosting the lower (and upper) frequencies as the master volume is turned down, but most folks find that DEQ alone is not enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They are at this position on my home, I already added 4dB from sub level post-Audyssey. After Audyssey the speakers where set to Large, but I changed to Small, should I maintain as Audyssey recommended?

Thanks
tempImageFF837Q.png

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
They are at this position on my home, I already added 4dB from sub level post-Audyssey. After Audyssey the speakers where set to Large, but I changed to Small, should I maintain as Audyssey recommended?

Thanks View attachment 3077674
Small/80Hz is a good starting point.

I would pull all speakers (center included) forward until the baffles are slightly in front of the entertainment center. This will eliminate the very early reflections from the cabinet itself.

It also looks like you have a hard tile floor with no rug. Placing a thick rug between the speakers and the listening positions will improve the overall audio experience (by reducing more reflections).

If at all possible, I would pull the FR/FL out as far as needed to manage some "toe-in" (angling the speakers towards the listening position). Typical toe-in will have the speakers angle crossing just in front of, or just behind the listening position. You will have to experiment with both to find which works best for your room and your speakers.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts

Thanks View attachment 3077674
A very nice setup, indeed! I always like to see people's photos of their home theater systems. They tell more than a 1000 words! :)

Yet, if you allow me, I'd surely do some modifications here in order to improve sound quality. L&Rs I'd pull up front, beyond the "cabinet" and would do some angling (toe-in) to make the speakers face the MLP (Main Listening Position).

Also I'd pull the center speaker up to the edge and tilt it upwards to make it face seated ear height. Also would put an area rug on top of the ceramic tiles in order to tame early reflection in the mid to high frequency range resulting especially in improved dialog intelligibility when watching films.

These measures might seem small, but in the end they all add up and are going to result in a much more improved SQ (Sound Quality) never though of in the same room.

For your info, speakers always show not only their highest SPL (Sound Pressure Level), but also their widest frequency range when on-axis with the MLP. And of course an Audyssey re-run will be necessary after all these changes in physical setup.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Is there any way to find the actual eq filters that Audyssey is applying for the subwoofer channel?
Unfortunately, no.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You could take measurements with REW and UMIK-1. Just run a sweep with Audyssey on and another with it off and you can see what it is doing.
That shows me the result of what it’s doing, but not what specifically it is doing to get there. Though I guess they wouldn’t want anyone seeing behind the scenes because it’s part of their intellectual property...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hey guys, I know lately a lot of people are really pushing for Audyssey to not correct above 300-500hz and that's why the app is so good BUT I can definitely say in my semi open room with no treatments,there is a BIG difference from going from limited to full range 20khz XT32 calibration.

All I am saying is to not take anyone's word on this especially if you have an untreated, not home theater friendly room like our current living room. Audyssey full range provides much more detail, clarity, and pop over limited correction. YMMV. We have pretty good budget speakers (SVS ultra towers and matching setup).

9021 - 9040 of 9042 Posts