AVS Forum banner

9401 - 9420 of 9485 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
So I ran audyssey as directed by svs with subs at -10 in sun app. Got warning. Ignored it and now avr has set them to minus 12. I don’t feel like doing this over and over again to get subs to -10 on avr. Can I just run sun setup or do I have to do a tire thing again. And I guess I’ll try with sun gain set to minus 12 and see if that’s enough.
If you want to do it right, then yes. There's a little bit of trial and error with everything. Not ideal for some people who want instant results and gratification, but I would suggest doing it right. It's like asking for a recipe of a good meal and then asking if you can just get it frozen and microwave instead? :D

·
Registered
640 Posts
So I ran audyssey as directed by svs with subs at -10 in sun app. Got warning. Ignored it and now avr has set them to minus 12. I don’t feel like doing this over and over again to get subs to -10 on avr. Can I just run sun setup or do I have to do a tire thing again. And I guess I’ll try with sun gain set to minus 12 and see if that’s enough.
You can set a minimum number of speakers (I think right, left, sub) and only run 3 positions and then end calibration there to see the sub trim. When you get the gains where they need to be to get in the -11.5 to -8 range, change back to your full speaker setup and run all the positions.

Reactions: ebailey

·
Registered
20 Posts
You require at least three readings to be able to stop and see what the initial levels and distances are. At the start in the sub level scale while the tone is playing set the speaker to just above the green into the red zone and you should be at about -5 to -6. Run the first three tests and it will give you the option to stop and use those values. You can then make physical changes to your distances and sub level if necessary. Unfortunately, if everything is to your liking you will have to start over to complete all eight measurement locations.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Cool. Also regardless of how big center channel is and audyssey sets it, the industry standard is 80hz crossover. Correct?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Cool. Also regardless of how big center channel is and audyssey sets it, the industry standard is 80hz crossover. Correct?
It’s correct as a starting point. Depending on your room and sub placement you could have better luck with something different.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Not sure where to post this and since u guys seem most knowledgeable around here (flattery lol).....I have a 5.2 setup. I also have two in ceiling speakers at just about perfect location for the rear atmos. Wired up sitting next to Denon x3700h. Should I connect these for atmos (or some other channels) or wait till I get front two atmos in ceiling installed? Just wondering if using them now would draw the ‘listening’ to the rear of the room even they they are angled towards mlp! If I should connect them before running audyssey, to which channels? I have never done above 5.2. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Not sure where to post this and since u guys seem most knowledgeable around here (flattery lol).....I have a 5.2 setup. I also have two in ceiling speakers at just about perfect location for the rear atmos. Wired up sitting next to Denon x3700h. Should I connect these for atmos (or some other channels) or wait till I get front two atmos in ceiling installed? Just wondering if using them now would draw the ‘listening’ to the rear of the room even they they are angled towards mlp! If I should connect them before running audyssey, to which channels? I have never done above 5.2. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure if you only have 1 pair (i.e. 5.1.2) the amp assign settings only let you set them as Top Middle, front heights, or as Atmos enabled. You can certainly try it, but I would assign it to whatever is most representative of its location (so top rear) if it let's you.

When are you getting the fronts? Keep in mind you'll need to rerun Audyssey.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ok. I will def re-run but as stand alone I think these would be better suited for 7.2.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Here is where I ended up. Looks pretty good. Bumped subs up 5db each. Still under zero for both. So how high could I go on AVR? I also have svs app set at -16. They said no worry going to minus 10 if I water more for a particular movie.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Center Channel Adjust? Re-ran Audyssy and it set center to -6. This is because I 'upgraded' from a klipsch RC-25 to RP-504C. Now the dialogue is a bit soft. I am hoping it is because center is new and needs a little breaking in. But regardless of whether or not the Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol are on or off, Center Channel Adjust is 'greyed' out on my Denon X3700H. I would like to bump it a db or 2...thoughts??

·
Registered
799 Posts
Something is going on...replaced by RC-25 center with an RP-504C....re-ran audyssey on X3700H. It put fronts at -4.5 and -2.5. Center at -6. Surrounds at -2. When I went to watch some movies center sounded soft. Decided to try manual measuring/adjustment of levels and I can only get to 65dB on SPL at +12! Is this right??? Maybe something background noise or something messed it up? Should I do it again? I did 'cluster' the 8 readings closer than before.....no more than 24" from MLP per directions. Assistance greatly appreciated. I can't believe upgrading Center channel can throw everything so far off. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Something is going on...replaced by RC-25 center with an RP-504C....re-ran audyssey on X3700H. It put fronts at -4.5 and -2.5. Center at -6. Surrounds at -2. When I went to watch some movies center sounded soft. Decided to try manual measuring/adjustment of levels and I can only get to 65dB on SPL at +12! Is this right??? Maybe something background noise or something messed it up? Should I do it again? I did 'cluster' the 8 readings closer than before.....no more than 24" from MLP per directions. Assistance greatly appreciated. I can't believe upgrading Center channel can throw everything so far off. Thanks!!!
In addition to above - left and right are old RB-25 bookshelf speakers. Each has 5.25" and tweeter. Is it possible the swap of the matching RC-25 to the RP-504C has skewed everything? Perhaps they are too far apart for Audyssey to level them out correctly? Perhaps the RP-504C either is too efficient or requires too much power (it has 4 5.25" and a tweeter). Thanks!!

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Here is where I ended up. Looks pretty good. Bumped subs up 5db each. Still under zero for both. So how high could I go on AVR? I also have svs app set at -16. They said no worry going to minus 10 if I water more for a particular movie.
Was there supposed to be a pic attached here? I am not seeing it.

Center Channel Adjust? Re-ran Audyssy and it set center to -6. This is because I 'upgraded' from a klipsch RC-25 to RP-504C. Now the dialogue is a bit soft. I am hoping it is because center is new and needs a little breaking in. But regardless of whether or not the Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol are on or off, Center Channel Adjust is 'greyed' out on my Denon X3700H. I would like to bump it a db or 2...thoughts??
Couple of possibilities why the Center Channel Adjust was greyed-out:
  • Many adjustments are only available while you're actually playing a soundtrack.
  • The Center Channel Adjust changes the volume level of the center speaker. If the center speaker wasn't in use, for example if you had Stereo processing selected, it wouldn't be available.
  • If you had selected Direct or Pure Direct selected, all digital processing is disabled.

When you say you can only get to 65dB at +12:
  • As measured by what (handheld SPL meter, SPL app on your phone, etc)?
  • At what Master Volume (MV) level (should be set to 0MV)?
How do you have your center channel placed? Is it pulled all the way to the front if it is sitting on a cabinet? Angled up or down to point directly at your head??

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is what was detected by audyssey for my center channel. I've been tinkering with the curve on the multeq app for ages trying to optimise it.

Its a ceiling klipsch reference premiere LRC speaker. I have had some success raising the curve in the 1k-9k range a few DB. I think I will have it all figured out. But then sometimes it will sound harsh. So I lower the treble range, and then voices sound muddled or boxy. I'm just trying to find the sweet spot.

Any advice? And yes, my center is the only ceiling channel. I know it's not ideal.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
This is what was detected by audyssey for my center channel. I've been tinkering with the curve on the multeq app for ages trying to optimise it.

Its a ceiling klipsch reference premiere LRC speaker. I have had some success raising the curve in the 1k-9k range a few DB. I think I will have it all figured out. But then sometimes it will sound harsh. So I lower the treble range, and then voices sound muddled or boxy. I'm just trying to find the sweet spot.

Any advice? And yes, my center is the only ceiling channel. I know it's not ideal.

That's an aggressive rolloff past 1khz. Is it actually in the ceiling and is the tweeter aimable? How do you have it set up?

I'd be wary of boosting it, perhaps try experimenting with limited correction...try 1khz, 5khz, 10khz etc. It will suck because you have to resend each time to AVR. What does the "after" graph look like?

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's an aggressive rolloff past 1khz. Is it actually in the ceiling and is the tweeter aimable? How do you have it set up?

I'd be wary of boosting it, perhaps try experimenting with limited correction...try 1khz, 5khz, 10khz etc. It will suck because you have to resend each time to AVR. What does the "after" graph look like?
Yes it's actually in the ceiling. The tweeter isn't amiable, but has an aggressive angle towards the listening position.

And do you mean only bump up the curve in just like the 1-2khz range? Then just the 5khz range? And see what sounds best?

FYI I have this silly setup because I originally bought an acoustic transparent screen with the idea of just the center being behind the screen. I hated the screen as I could see the perforations and I didn't have room above or below the screen. Instead of trying my luck on a more expensive screen, I returned it and just did a regular non-at screen. I'll probably eventually try an acoustic screen again when the wife won't kill me. But in the mean time want to make this work.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Yes it's actually in the ceiling. The tweeter isn't amiable, but has an aggressive angle towards the listening position.

And do you mean only bump up the curve in just like the 1-2khz range? Then just the 5khz range? And see what sounds best?

FYI I have this silly setup because I originally bought an acoustic transparent screen with the idea of just the center being behind the screen. I hated the screen as I could see the perforations and I didn't have room above or below the screen. Instead of trying my luck on a more expensive screen, I returned it and just did a regular non-at screen. I'll probably eventually try an acoustic screen again when the wife won't kill me. But in the mean time want to make this work.

Ah I see. On the app you can limit the correction...you will need to find that balance. If you correct full range, you said it sounds bright. But if you limit it, the treble rolls off too quick. You'll need to test applying correction up to 1khz, then 5khz etc. to see which point gets you the best results.

Otherwise you'll just need to live with what ya got.

Reactions: Zedekias

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ah I see. On the app you can limit the correction...you will need to find that balance. If you correct full range, you said it sounds bright. But if you limit it, the treble rolls off too quick. You'll need to test applying correction up to 1khz, then 5khz etc. to see which point gets you the best results.

Otherwise you'll just need to live with what ya got.
Just so I understand you're referring to the filter frequency range option?

You don't think I should play with the curve editor to improve?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Just so I understand you're referring to the filter frequency range option?

You don't think I should play with the curve editor to improve?

Correct. You can play with the curve editor too, but first I'd just be curious (if I were you) how it sounds with different ranges of correction.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

My take on this is that the instructions on using Audyssey and the microphone is not suitable for accurately measuring in ceiling speakers of any kind

the requirement for measuring and EQ speakers is that the mic points 90 deg upwards and the sound from the bed speakers grazes the tip (capsule) of the microphone

that being the case when it comes to measuring ceiling speakers the microphone angle is no longer at 90 deg in relation to the ceiling speaker, and sound no longer grazes the tip (capsule) of the microphone but hits it directly

this is just my personal opinion of why my ceiling speaker FR looks so bad

9401 - 9420 of 9485 Posts