AVS Forum banner

9421 - 9440 of 9485 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
How close do you sit to your screen? We have had great luck with an acoustically transparent screen by Seymour at 13 feet away.
I'm 15 feet away. But I had tried the budget option Carl's Place. I could see the perforations in bright scenes and also these vertical line screen defects. I will probably try Seymour or the large spandex material next. (my screen is 150")

I think my distance and short ceiling is the primary problem with my issue though. It was a big concern of mine, that I actually emailed the klipsch sound engineers my dilemma. I had contemplated cutting a larger hole in the ceiling and custom mounting the speaker to give it an even steeper angle. But they said it wasn't necessary and sent me this diagram as well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Gary Garrison's set-up
1,461 Posts
I'm 15 feet away. But I had tried the budget option Carl's Place. I could see the perforations in bright scenes and also these vertical line screen defects. I will probably try Seymour or the large spandex material next. (my screen is 150")

I think my distance and short ceiling is the primary problem with my issue though. It was a big concern of mine, that I actually emailed the klipsch sound engineers my dilemma. I had contemplated cutting a larger hole in the ceiling and custom mounting the speaker to give it an even steeper angle. But they said it wasn't necessary and sent me this diagram as well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Wow, that was nice of them to send you that diagram.

Seymour will send you a foot square sample of their AT fabric, so you can see if you can see any anomalies when projecting on it. We can't. By running Audyssey (full range) with the screen in place (and down, if it is electrically retractable) you can fully compensate for the slight attenuation of high treble by the screen and a Seymour free hanging black backing cloth (to avoid reflections or light coming back through the screen). In our case, this is true as electronically measured (REW & calibrated microphone), but by ear, the center channel sounds just a slight bit different. Since most people set the center channel just a bit louder (~~2 dB), it's no biggie. Our screen is 130" true width, and 55.3" high. 'Scope, and ARs near it, (2.39:1, 2.35:1, 2.2:1) look great, and 1.85:1 and 1.78:1 look good.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just picked up the Denon 3700 and am working my way through the audyssey process. Already stumped and haven't gotten started yet. The following info is in the manual for the subwoofer. I can figure them all out except for the part that says crossover frequency and low filter. I have an SVS PB-1000 and first thing, the crossover knob seems to be labeled Low Pass Filter. Settings go from LFE to 160hz. Not sure what it means to set the low pass filter to off? Really not sure how I would set that knob to off and highest frequency at the same time (since it's only one knob).

Can anyone help me on this? Thank you.

When using a subwoofer without a direct mode Make the following settings:
Volume : 12 o’clock position
Crossover frequency : Maximum/Highest Frequency
Low pass filter : Off
Standby mode : Of

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Just picked up the Denon 3700 and am working my way through the audyssey process. Already stumped and haven't gotten started yet. The following info is in the manual for the subwoofer. I can figure them all out except for the part that says crossover frequency and low filter. I have an SVS PB-1000 and first thing, the crossover knob seems to be labeled Low Pass Filter. Settings go from LFE to 160hz. Not sure what it means to set the low pass filter to off? Really not sure how I would set that knob to off and highest frequency at the same time (since it's only one knob).

Can anyone help me on this? Thank you.

When using a subwoofer without a direct mode Make the following settings:
Volume : 12 o’clock position
Crossover frequency : Maximum/Highest Frequency
Low pass filter : Off
Standby mode : Of

View attachment 3117677
Since you will be using your AVR for bass management settings (crossovers for your speakers + LPF of LFE setting), then you want to disable/defeat the knob on your subwoofer itself. Most don't have an off button, hence why the recommendation is to put it on "max" as to not interfere. If there's an off button, then it doesn't matter where you set it on the sub dial.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Since you will be using your AVR for bass management settings (crossovers for your speakers + LPF of LFE setting), then you want to disable/defeat the knob on your subwoofer itself. Most don't have an off button, hence why the recommendation is to put it on "max" as to not interfere. If there's an off button, then it doesn't matter where you set it on the sub dial.
Thanks. I went through the process and I clearly don’t know what I’m doing. First, I was surprised that the sub crossover dial didn’t have discrete choices but rather, went continuously up to LFE.

When I ran audyssey it had me turn the dial pretty far down to get to the 75db spot. But okay. Now that I’m trying, I get no sub at all. Indeed, the sub (which is on auto and still the highest crossover point) isn’t detected at all. I’m getting now bass.

I’m not sure whether a setting is wrong? I have no clue what sound setting I’m supposed to be on or whether I’m supposed to move the crossover dial to something else.

Im stumped.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thanks. I went through the process and I clearly don’t know what I’m doing. First, I was surprised that the sub crossover dial didn’t have discrete choices but rather, went continuously up to LFE.

When I ran audyssey it had me turn the dial pretty far down to get to the 75db spot. But okay. Now that I’m trying, I get no sub at all. Indeed, the sub (which is on auto and still the highest crossover point) isn’t detected at all. I’m getting now bass.

I’m not sure whether a setting is wrong? I have no clue what sound setting I’m supposed to be on or whether I’m supposed to move the crossover dial to something else.

Im stumped.
Did you try turning the sub to ON rather than Auto?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did but still no sound. I’ve moved the crossover dial around as well as the sub volume on the receiver; still no luck.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong.
Are you not getting sound from the subwoofer when settling up Audyssey or when listening to music?
If music, are your speakers set to small?

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Hi Guys,

I recently came across a Russian audio-video site (with the use of Google translator) where a member (Ivan B.) made a series of some serious experiments of mic pattern placement while running Audyssey MultEQ. As he claims he got the best results when the first measurement at MLP was made with the mic facing the ceiling, yet the remaining 5-7 measurements were made with the mic placed on a mic stand and tilted horizontally and made to face MLP directly. With this experiment the room came to life, anything obscured before diminished and his room now sounds like a Greek theater. He is now able to pin point each and every sound source from any material, be it a movie, music or even game. Try it and report back please.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you not getting sound from the subwoofer when settling up Audyssey or when listening to music?
If music, are your speakers set to small?
Yes, I got the subwoofer sound when setting up. Told me the volume was too high and I fiddled with it to get to 75db. I did also play from music after calibrating and got no sound from the sub.

What I am really clear on is the output settings. With my old receiver I set on auto or something like that and would get dolby or dts for movies and such. The music was on a different input and I think I had it on some music setting.

On the denon I see stuff like direct, pure direct, and I think standard. Standard setting shows up as dolby when playing tv or movies but still nothing from sub. I do see a bunch of audyssey settings but am not sure whether only those use the calibration of whether standard does too?

So I am confused about a lot of things I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I got the subwoofer sound when setting up. Told me the volume was too high and I fiddled with it to get to 75db. I did also play from music after calibrating and got no sound from the sub.

What I am really clear on is the output settings. With my old receiver I set on auto or something like that and would get dolby or dts for movies and such. The music was on a different input and I think I had it on some music setting.

On the denon I see stuff like direct, pure direct, and I think standard. Standard setting shows up as dolby when playing tv or movies but still nothing from sub. I do see a bunch of audyssey settings but am not sure whether only those use the calibration of whether standard does too?

On direct and pure direct when listening to music in stereo, there is no subwoofer

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hoping I can once again turn to this thread for some advice. Went down a sub rabbit hole, and ended up getting two Rythmik L12 subs. I'm in an unusual situation, in that I have a dedicated theater room, but it's right next to the living room, where my wife is often working or watching her own stuff on TV while I'm watching action movies. My goal is to have smooth bass response, with as much vibration/oomph at my MLP as possible without shaking the whole house.

MLP is about 20" from the rear wall in the center of the room (dimensions are 12x15x8 give or take). I've got one sub directly behind my LP (literally two inches between the sofa and the sub with no room to spare). Other sub is about 6 feet away on the right wall, which is pretty much the only place I can put it.

This is all a long way of asking, am I asking for trouble with such extreme near-field placement? I'm finding the bass a bit distracting in some content (feels like the tactile bass is noticeably localized to the rear). I ran a bass frequency sweep, and it felt like I was getting vibration from the higher frequencies (40-60hz) in a way I wasn't expecting. I've been at this on and off for a week, so I'm not sure if I'm just fixating on the sound and creating a problem where there isn't one, or if this kind of near-field placement is just a bad idea.

Here's my FR graph:

·
Registered
13,334 Posts

As has been mentioned, make sure all speakers are set to SMALL under SPEAKERS>MANUAL SETUP>SPEAKER CONFIG. Set all crossovers to 80Hz (if set lower by Audyssey, if set higher than 80Hz, leave them alone).

Do not use DIRECT or PURE DIRECT for music, try either STEREO or DOLBY SURROUND.

Also, make sure you add at least 3-6dB to the subwoofer trim post-Audyssey, Audyssey will set your subwoofer flat which is not preferred by most.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Hoping I can once again turn to this thread for some advice. Went down a sub rabbit hole, and ended up getting two Rythmik L12 subs. I'm in an unusual situation, in that I have a dedicated theater room, but it's right next to the living room, where my wife is often working or watching her own stuff on TV while I'm watching action movies. My goal is to have smooth bass response, with as much vibration/oomph at my MLP as possible without shaking the whole house.

MLP is about 20" from the rear wall in the center of the room (dimensions are 12x15x8 give or take). I've got one sub directly behind my LP (literally two inches between the sofa and the sub with no room to spare). Other sub is about 6 feet away on the right wall, which is pretty much the only place I can put it.

This is all a long way of asking, am I asking for trouble with such extreme near-field placement? I'm finding the bass a bit distracting in some content (feels like the tactile bass is noticeably localized to the rear). I ran a bass frequency sweep, and it felt like I was getting vibration from the higher frequencies (40-60hz) in a way I wasn't expecting. I've been at this on and off for a week, so I'm not sure if I'm just fixating on the sound and creating a problem where there isn't one, or if this kind of near-field placement is just a bad idea.

Here's my FR graph:

View attachment 3118229
Do you have your subs level matched (same SPL at the MLP) or gain matched (both subs outputting at the same gain level)?

If you have them level matched....which you should when using near+farfield subs...and you are still overwhelmed by the nearfield sub, you may want to either turn that sub down a bit, or move it a bit further away from the seating.

Many on the forum love nearfield subs (myself included), so it can definitely be done. :)

Reactions: Matt2026

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I have a sub right behind the couch where I sit. The other (identical model) is near a corner in the front of the room. They are level matched (by Audyssey), and neither of them is localizable from the main listing position(s).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Do you have your subs level matched (same SPL at the MLP) or gain matched (both subs outputting at the same gain level)?

If you have them level matched....which you should when using near+farfield subs...and you are still overwhelmed by the nearfield sub, you may want to either turn that sub down a bit, or move it a bit further away from the seating.

Many on the forum love nearfield subs (myself included), so it can definitely be done. :)
Alan, I was hoping I'd get a shot of your subwoofer wisdom again! The subs were very roughly level matched via The Audyssey app level screen, but I didn't get it "perfect" since I was jumping back and forth between a few placement options and I was trying to just fiddle with the volume knob on one sub. Audyssey set the volumes a bit different (I believe it was -9.5 and -7).

I've drawn up a diagram for a better picture of my placement. The trouble is, I'm pretty space restricted on the NF sub. If I move it off center, I get some nulls in my frequency response. I haven't tried just lowering the NF sub volume post-cal, because I wasn't sure if that would mess with my FR. Is that "safe" to try?

My other (more annoying) option would be to inch my sofa forward, which would just barely let me rotate the sub's driver to face the rear wall, thereby moving the driver a few inches further from the sofa.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Forgot to mention, currently the sub box is about 2" from the back of the sofa, pressed pretty much against the back wall. The center of the driver's probably 7" from the sofa.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Forgot to mention, currently the sub box is about 2" from the back of the sofa, pressed pretty much against the back wall. The center of the driver's probably 7" from the sofa.
So the sub is currently firing to towards the right wall? Have you tried rotating it 180 degrees? May or may not do anything.... ;)

Yes, lowering the gain on the nearfield sub will indeed "mess" with your frequency response....how much is impossible to know until you measure. My guess would be "not very much".

Try playing a bass heavy scene and play around with the trim levels until it sounds/feels right to you, then measure to see where you're at. Try turning down the nearfield sub and turning up the farfield sub, or a combination of the two.

Reactions: filmgeek47

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
. I haven't tried just lowering the NF sub volume post-cal, because I wasn't sure if that would mess with my FR. Is that "safe" to
You'll see certain parts of the bass range drop more than others but it's an experiment worth doing.

Reactions: filmgeek47
9421 - 9440 of 9485 Posts