AVS Forum banner

9441 - 9460 of 9506 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
So the sub is currently firing to towards the right wall? Have you tried rotating it 180 degrees? May or may not do anything.... ;)

Yes, lowering the gain on the nearfield sub will indeed "mess" with your frequency response....how much is impossible to know until you measure. My guess would be "not very much".

Try playing a bass heavy scene and play around with the trim levels until it sounds/feels right to you, then measure to see where you're at. Try turning down the nearfield sub and turning up the farfield sub, or a combination of the two.
Will do. I've got the benefit of an unused PEQ band on each sub, so I can probably compensate for some modest FR issues if it gets the tactile response to a more balanced place.

If that doesn't work, do you think rotating the sub to face the back wall is likely to make a difference?

My thinking was that it keeps the driver centered, but pulls the driver itself further away from the sofa, so in theory it'd lower the TR a bit, without eliminating it completely.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Will do. I've got the benefit of an unused PEQ band on each sub, so I can probably compensate for some modest FR issues if it gets the tactile response to a more balanced place.

If that doesn't work, do you think rotating the sub to face the back wall is likely to make a difference?

My thinking was that it keeps the driver centered, but pulls the driver itself further away from the sofa, so in theory it'd lower the TR a bit, without eliminating it completely.
Sure, that option should definitely be on the "list of things to try".

·
Registered
187 Posts
As has been mentioned, make sure all speakers are set to SMALL under SPEAKERS>MANUAL SETUP>SPEAKER CONFIG. Set all crossovers to 80Hz (if set lower by Audyssey, if set higher than 80Hz, leave them alone).

Do not use DIRECT or PURE DIRECT for music, try either STEREO or DOLBY SURROUND.

Also, make sure you add at least 3-6dB to the subwoofer trim post-Audyssey, Audyssey will set your subwoofer flat which is not preferred by most.
Appreciate it. I reran audyssey and got everything working. The only thing I did differently was set the sub to LFE rather than highest crossover point. Watching Godzilla versus Kong and agree that the bass is a little flat. I assume I should change the dB on the receiver.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Running audyssey on my new Denon 4700 via the app and my sub is showing a dip right around the 80hz crossover point. Not sure what’s going on. I have 2 svs pb10 subs and I had the phase set to 0 and adjusted the gains to be in the green. They are on either side of the mlp about 1/4 along the side walls.

i know the after graph is just predictive but it shows up in the before as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quick question on my 7705; when I run Aud and then make manual adjustments, my ability to use any of the settings in the Aud menu goes away. It’s unclear to me if the Aud corrections settings are also being removed after making a manual change like a level or crossover adjust. Is this the case? Or do the correction settings remain even if Aud menus are greyed out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Running audyssey on my new Denon 4700 via the app and my sub is showing a dip right around the 80hz crossover point. Not sure what’s going on. I have 2 svs pb10 subs and I had the phase set to 0 and adjusted the gains to be in the green. They are on either side of the mlp about 1/4 along the side walls.

i know the after graph is just predictive but it shows up in the before as well.
If I'm understanding you correctly with both subs on either side of your MLP you are creating a NUL at the MLP. You need to find other better positions for your subs FIRST, preferably not directly facing each other. Do one sub first then the next.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quick question on my 7705; when I run Aud and then make manual adjustments, my ability to use any of the settings in the Aud menu goes away. It’s unclear to me if the Aud corrections settings are also being removed after making a manual change like a level or crossover adjust. Is this the case? Or do the correction settings remain even if Aud menus are greyed out?
Which manual adjustments are you making?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Which manual adjustments are you making?
Specifically, I’m making level changes and crossover changes. The other change is I run Aud with one sub engaged but I’m using the 2nd sub out to feed buttkickers which I don’t want to tune with Aud. So once the tuning is done, I’ll reconfigure the layout for the second sub to be active.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Specifically, I’m making level changes and crossover changes. The other change is I run Aud with one sub engaged but I’m using the 2nd sub out to feed buttkickers which I don’t want to tune with Aud. So once the tuning is done, I’ll reconfigure the layout for the second sub to be active.
That should not grey out Audy. If you are using the AVR, try using the app instead as it will open up the "complete" Audyssey settings to you. Just a word on using the MultiEQ app. Power on the AV7705, run the app, load the file to the AV7705 and after completion, power off and then power on the AV.

Reactions: Bäsemödel

·
Registered
56 Posts
That should not grey out Audy. If you are using the AVR, try using the app instead as it will open up the "complete" Audyssey settings to you. Just a word on using the MultiEQ app. Power on the AV7705, run the app, load the file to the AV7705 and after completion, power off and then power on the AV.
I am using the app currently but on the app, post the config, i cant edit the number of subs connected. I could possibly try to force it with something like Ratbuddy?

So currently, when i make changes to the audy created settings via the manual setup tab, it greys out the Audy options in the speakers section and makes me thing that its now deactivated.

Whats the best way to have sub 1 be EQd and aligned and for sub 2 to be active but not eq'd/aligned? I hope im explaining that well... thanks for the assistance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am using the app currently but on the app, post the config, i cant edit the number of subs connected. I could possibly try to force it with something like Ratbuddy?

So currently, when i make changes to the audy created settings via the manual setup tab, it greys out the Audy options in the speakers section and makes me thing that its now deactivated.

Whats the best way to have sub 1 be EQd and aligned and for sub 2 to be active but not eq'd/aligned? I hope im explaining that well... thanks for the assistance!
That's curious as the only way to disable Audyssey on my Denon is in the Audyssey selection in Audio menu. If you mean using Audyssey, then connect one sub to the AVR and run atleast the first three measurement points and stop there to see the distance, levels and before and after results for the one connected sub. Once you transfer the file, Audyssey should default to Reference with DEQ ON (unless you turn it off in the app before loading).

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sure, that option should definitely be on the "list of things to try".
Thanks for your help! Did some more experimentation and realized that the rear sub's FR actually didn't change much at all moving it left to right across the back of the room. Simply moving the sub away from me a foot evened things out perfectly.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've also got a general Audyssey question for you guys. I quite like DEQ in general, but like most I'm not a fan of the surround boost. My understanding is that it boosts by +1.1 Db per -5 Db of volume, so if I'm listening at -25, I'd want to reduce my surrounds by about -5.5 to compensate. The issue I have is some of my surround trims are set by calibration at -9.5, and I can't shift them past -12. Is there a reason people don't simply raise the trims on the front L/C/R channels instead of shifting all of the surrounds down?

Also, is there any negative impact on sound quality when some trims are set above 0? My ceiling speakers are getting set around +2.5.

·
Registered
610 Posts
So am I safe to just raise the volume of the front L/C/R trims, or is there a reason to avoid messing with them after audyssey? I ask because no one ever seems to suggest that as a solution for ”undoing“ the surround DEQ volume increase, and in my own experiences I could have sworn my LCR sounded a bit clearer when I lowered their trims back to how audyssey had set them, which was the opposite of what I was expecting.

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
1,086 Posts
I have been testing out some new subs and so I have been running Audyssey a lot lately. During one calibration, I had somewhat of an anomaly. It set crossovers of my surrounds (SVS Prime Satellites) down to 80 hz which was the lowest I had ever seen It set them. Typically it sets these to 90 hz and once I even saw it set it to 100 hz. I have my room setup the same each time and I do my calibration the same each time so I was just curious to know what causes these kinds of variations?

Although it’s nice that it set them to 80 hz, as it allowed me to have all my crossovers at 80. I saved The configuration with the MultiEQ App but since it kind of seemed like a fluke I’m a little afraid to use it.

Edit. Hoping someone has some thoughts on this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Audyssey noob here. What do you make of these graphs? I got the SVS PB-1000 pro today (replaced Polk Audio HTS 12) and ran Audyssey XT a couple of times. For the first run Audussey set the sub to -12. Finally ended up with -6db for the sub after dialing it down to -20db from the app before measurements. All speakers set to small, crossover at 80hz. My room is approximately 17x16 feet and 7.2 feet high. Due to the front cabinets, the only reasonable place for the sub is in the right corner and I realize that stimulates room modes (bass is very boomy at the opposite corner for example) Three of the walls are made of Siporex blocks and the window wall is drywall + ceiling is drywall. Apart from the carpeted floor and blackout curtains don't have any acoustical treatments done yet and I think that shows in the calibration results below.

Other equipment I have is from Polk. It's a 5.1 system with S15e as fronts, S35 as center, S10e as surrounds + the new sub. Denon 2500h as AVR.

In all results, there is a lot of highs and downs in the graphs...I presume that is just the resonation of the room?

Anyway I'll probably buy a UMIK-1 and do new measurements with REW as I really want to understand the acoustics of my room, in the meanwhile I'm trying to understand what is the takeaway from below results and if there is something I can change based on those.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm new to the hobby and have just finished installing my first full 5.1 system which consists of:
-Denon AVR-S750H
-Elac Debut 2.0 6.2 (front L/R)
-Emotiva C1+ (center)
-SVS surrounds
-SVS SB1000

I ran The Audyssey set up. 2 things that I have a question on/would like to tweak so would love your advice:

Dialogue from the center channel sounds a bit muffled. it's not terrible but I'd like it to be brighter. unfortunately, since I calibrated with Audyssey I don't have access to any tone control (or maybe I'm just not seeing it). is downloading the app and adjusting the curve my only option to adjust that center?

also, I felt like the front L/R speakers were very low. sound stage did not feel expansive so I went in to the settings on the receiver and had to boost them +7db to feel like I noticed them . I might chalk this up to noob ears but wanted to find out if having to do this is normal. TIA!

·
Registered
713 Posts
You shpuld not have to boost 7db. Since this is all new too you ill ask the obvious. Was audessey run according to instruction with the mlp being the first position? Was it as quiet as a church when done?
Did you set you speakers to small and adjust crossovers?Is deq on or dynamic volume?
Regards Rich

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm new to the hobby and have just finished installing my first full 5.1 system which consists of:
-Denon AVR-S750H
-Elac Debut 2.0 6.2 (front L/R)
-Emotiva C1+ (center)
-SVS surrounds
-SVS SB1000

I ran The Audyssey set up. 2 things that I have a question on/would like to tweak so would love your advice:

Dialogue from the center channel sounds a bit muffled. it's not terrible but I'd like it to be brighter. unfortunately, since I calibrated with Audyssey I don't have access to any tone control (or maybe I'm just not seeing it). is downloading the app and adjusting the curve my only option to adjust that center?

also, I felt like the front L/R speakers were very low. sound stage did not feel expansive so I went in to the settings on the receiver and had to boost them +7db to feel like I noticed them . I might chalk this up to noob ears but wanted to find out if having to do this is normal. TIA!
What you're probably hearing is the 2kHz dip that Audy automagically applies to its default result. The MultiEQ app is well worth it and is the only means of turning off the Audy midrange correction before uploading to the AVR.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Audyssey noob here. What do you make of these graphs? I got the SVS PB-1000 pro today (replaced Polk Audio HTS 12) and ran Audyssey XT a couple of times. For the first run Audussey set the sub to -12. Finally ended up with -6db for the sub after dialing it down to -20db from the app before measurements. All speakers set to small, crossover at 80hz. My room is approximately 17x16 feet and 7.2 feet high. Due to the front cabinets, the only reasonable place for the sub is in the right corner and I realize that stimulates room modes (bass is very boomy at the opposite corner for example) Three of the walls are made of Siporex blocks and the window wall is drywall + ceiling is drywall. Apart from the carpeted floor and blackout curtains don't have any acoustical treatments done yet and I think that shows in the calibration results below.

Other equipment I have is from Polk. It's a 5.1 system with S15e as fronts, S35 as center, S10e as surrounds + the new sub. Denon 2500h as AVR.

In all results, there is a lot of highs and downs in the graphs...I presume that is just the resonation of the room?

Anyway I'll probably buy a UMIK-1 and do new measurements with REW as I really want to understand the acoustics of my room, in the meanwhile I'm trying to understand what is the takeaway from below results and if there is something I can change based on those.
Just curious, but did you follow the Audy measurement instructions completely, taking the first reading in your main listening location and the other seven measurements not more than 20 inches from the first? From your results it looks like Audy had a really hard time with your room. Your room walls could do with some items that will absorb some of the reflecting sounds like heavy drapes. Once you get the mic and learn to use REW you'll be able to optimize the sub location based on your available space. For now you can try placing the sub where you sit and do the "sub crawl" to find a good location without the mic in the mean time :)

Reactions: alleyooptroop
9441 - 9460 of 9506 Posts