AVS Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 4086 Posts

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Since Comcast themselves seems to differentiate between HD and "digital" I meant it in that context. I know it's all digital- I assume people here know the difference. Frankly Comcast's straight "digital" service sucks for the most part. Cartoon Network was digital for a while, and the jaggies were just sad. They switched it back to analog.

Yes, there are no "must carry" rules pertaining to local HD and Cable, but there are for Premium channels in general- so it seems Comcast is just offering them because local channels are going to be a hard sell. You're already paying for at least Basic service after all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello Ken H,

I was wondering if you have any info on when comcast will be adding CBS, ESPN-HD, or any other HD channels to the Detroit area line up?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Does anyone know if the Comcast VIP Plus package includes HDTV feeds of HDO and Showtime?

Jon

p.s. When the Comcast tech was in my house, he said they plan on charging for the HD channel package in the future. He said they didn't yet have enough channels to offer a package. But in the near future it would be priced as a package.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by aviman33
Does anyone know if the Comcast VIP Plus package includes HDTV feeds of HDO and Showtime?

Jon

Yes,

VIP Plus: $99.95 through 2003 Includes Expanded Basic, Digital Plus, High Speed Internet, and all premium channels.

Install: $19.95 (or a free upgrade).

Additional outlets: $6.95.

Prices include equipment

·
Registered
13,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas1
Yes,

VIP Plus: $99.95 through 2003 Includes Expanded Basic, Digital Plus, High Speed Internet, and all premium channels.

Install: $19.95 (or a free upgrade).

Additional outlets: $6.95.

Prices include equipment

Any idea what happens to the price after 2003?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Is VIP Plus available in northern jersey?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've heard about this before as well. I am in the West Chester, PA area and sent Comcast an email about this package, their reply was that in order to get all of the permiums with digital and internet it would be something like $135. So, at least in Southeast PA, it doesn't appear that they are offering this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I asked about the VIP package as well, and the rep had no idea what I was talking about. She then said if I added Showtime to my HBO and Cinemax, that my bill would go down a few dollars to about $135, since I have non-HD digital and internet. I figured I may as well save a few bucks there, then I'll have HBO and Showtime HD when I get my TV in August.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I haven't noticed if anyone mentioned this before, but I just discovered last night that the 5100 seems to be extremely sensitive to where you place it in relation to your other HT gear. I had my VCR located above the 5100 and the picture quality--especially on the analog channels--was really bad. I didn't have that problem prior to moving the 5100, so I figured that the VCR was causing some kind of interference. I then moved the 5100 above the VCR and the problem disappeared. As a matter of fact, I think the analog channels look very good. So, if any of you are getting bad picture quality on the analog channels, you might want to experiment with the placement of your 5100.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by lovingdvd
Any idea what happens to the price after 2003?

Heh, I think we all know the answer to this.. More $$$$..

However hopefully by then we will have more HD channels .Maybe ESPN and Discovery . Oh yeah HD net would be nice as well.. Do you think it would be worth another 10$ for theses stations ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regarding the black bars on the side of non-HD programming on HD channels, the Motorola 5100 FAQ states that:

If the TV type in the 5100 is set to Pan & Scan this will essentially zoom-in the broadcast and you will lose some of the material (on the sides) in the HD program you are watching, but it will fill the screen.

When I select Pan & Scan on the 5100 I still get the black bars left and right

with non-HD source. No zoom. My Samsung 160 OTA does zoom correctly so I know what it should look like.

Is the FAQ wrong, or have I got something wrong? Does anybody's 5100 work as stated in the FAQ?

Thanks, Chuck

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by jcorkery
I haven't noticed if anyone mentioned this before, but I just discovered last night that the 5100 seems to be extremely sensitive to where you place it in relation to your other HT gear.

I discovered that this works both ways. When I put the DCT 5100 into my high-end audio system, my CD and DVD sound went way down in quality. I put the 5100 in between an FM tuner and VCR. I ended up removing the VCR which helped, and increased the distance between the tuner and 5100 which helped some more. The Motorola box must be putting out an incredible amount of RF.

I have since improved my CD audio performance further by placing a couple of stainless steel plates above and below the DCT 5100. Isolating the AC with a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet was the final step. I have almost negated the deleterious effects of the 5100. If some one knows of a better material to use as shielding than stainless steel, please let me know.

Combining a high-end audio system with video hasn't been easy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got the 5100 as part of Comcast HD package here in the Boston area, it is connect to a Mitsu WS65905, and the picture is really green.

If I fiddle with the TV setting enough I can get it from totally green to just really green. I can see some reds and blues, but the green is just overwhelming the other colors.

Any ideas out there????

·
Registered
923 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by bresnab
I just got the 5100 as part of Comcast HD package here in the Boston area, it is connect to a Mitsu WS65905, and the picture is really green.

If I fiddle with the TV setting enough I can get it from totally green to just really green. I can see some reds and blues, but the green is just overwhelming the other colors.

Any ideas out there????

Check the cables from the 5100 to the TV - sounds like one's either not connected, or they are crossed.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was the first thing we checked.

Pull Y = Lose all signal

Pull Pb = Lose the small amount blue

Pull Pr = Lose the small amount of red

I previosly had the Mitsu OTA HD receiver attached (RGBHV) and it worked fine, the manual says the TV supports Y/Pb/Pr connections. The picture is sharp, but the colors are off, if I push the tint to max green the picture is almost passable.

I am guessing there is something wrong with the Box or the cables, but I check others things to be sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I figured it out....

Buried deep in the documentation for the TV, the uni t does not automatically switch between RGBHV and Y/Pb/Pr, it needs to be reset on the "Assign Inputs" screen.

One I did the the colors were just fine.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
They had to replace my 5100 the other day because it was defective. The firmware on my new unit is 50.00 something or the other. I do not have the option of 480i passthru. When will the firmware update take effect? Do I need to call somebody?

1221 - 1240 of 4086 Posts