AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be the new thread going forward that is a comprehensive chart of all providers' HD offerings nationally. The chart includes major cable, satellite, telco, IPTV and streaming offerings. The previous thread can be found HERE.

Channels are broken down by category so that you can compare offerings between providers for networks (standard television channels), premiums (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz), international channels (channels either being in another language other than English or marketed to international audiences), and PPV channels (either by subscription service or one-time rental fee).

In the case of cable providers, some channels may not be carried in your market due to bandwidth or perceived lack of interest. You should always check with the provider before signing up for service if you are looking for certain services. As always, channels are subject to change with carriage disputes and format changes. If you have any questions about what is available in a certain market, please ask me and I'll try to get that information for you. Channels marked wide are carried in at least 50% of possible markets from that company.

Regional sports networks are usually only offered in their respective territories. DirecTV offers the Sports Pack that allows you to access these out-of-market. Essentially, use the regional sports network chart as a way to determine what might be seen in your area if you're a sports fan. Note that some providers don't carry all regional sports networks available, and that what you can get in a certain area may vary from providers.

Premium channels, and some networks, are available with East and West feeds. They are only marked on this chart if a provider offers both. For most premium channels, only one feed will be offered in an area. Some providers do offer both feeds, and prioritize the native area feed on their respective coast.

If you're wondering about your local market, you can see your area, down to your specific cable/satellite system, included with channel numbers and what's carried in standard definition HERE!

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've made the changes to CenturyLink Prism and Optimum with Outdoor Channel. It should be noted that Altice's Suddenlink did NOT drop Outdoor Channel. There are no changes to WOW at this time necessary.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It appears Suddenlink may have dropped AXS TV and HDNet Movies. I'll need to investigate a little further.

EDIT: They're definitely gone throughout the footprint. They'll be removed from the chart. I suspect as new carriage agreements take foot, we'll see an increased merging of Optimum and Suddenlink.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
CableOne/Sparklight is joining the IPTV club:
I saw this. I know they're not on our main chart, and they arguably could be. I would probably replace CenturyLink with them. I'd handle it much like WOW has been with the wide channels being QAM, limited channels for IPTV, eventually migrating those to wide as the footprint is fully launched and the old system retired. Their current offerings are pretty awful, so anything would improve them. They've been very open about encouraging cord cutting.

AccuWeather HD is live on Spectrum today. I am finding it on the legacy TWC and BHN systems so far, not on the Charter ones. It's now been added as wide on the chart. I've also changed Daystar HD to wide from limited for Spectrum. The others are still correct, in my view.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at Comcast's programming renewal page, the NBCU channels have been moved to January. I suspect this will end up filling the Oxygen HD holes around the country (mostly in the Southeast) and lift it to IP X1.

Also, February is when TVG and TVG2 come up. I suspect these will be the next channels to move to IP, and they'll go HD throughout the footprint then.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Looking at Comcast's programming renewal page, the NBCU channels have been moved to January. I suspect this will end up filling the Oxygen HD holes around the country (mostly in the Southeast) and lift it to IP X1.

Also, February is when TVG and TVG2 come up. I suspect these will be the next channels to move to IP, and they'll go HD throughout the footprint then.
I saw that too lol . I was wondering if comcast dropped its own channels yet...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw that too lol . I was wondering if comcast dropped its own channels yet...

The thing to remember is that Comcast needs to have an agreement in place, but the channels are never going to be removed. It's merely setting the market for other providers when agreements come up, and having one portion of the company (Comcast) pay another side of the company (NBCUniversal).

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i am not sure i am in right area to ask. I just went from youtube tv to spectrum app on my Apple 4K tv. I am looking to see which programing can been in 4K on spectrum app via apple 4K tv. I cannot locate 4K anywhere on that spectrum app. And spectrum's own site is void of any concrete information about 4K programming.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
It appears RCN has removed the 4K channels in all markets. They'll be removed from the chart.
I saw it too the other day when I was double checking RCN for 4K channel numbers . I only saw a part time sports 4K channel on their online channel lineup.

Reactions: longhorn23

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did you see that news? I have Directv but not a good sign for 4K long term.
It's on all of their channel lineups. I checked every market. I thought they might have migrated them to streaming. They didn't.

These 4K channels have low adoption rates, minimal content, and not really any backing from the major content providers. I think it's likely headed to 3D territory.

Traditional cable and satellite really can't handle the bandwidth needed to relay 4K signals, and broadcast isn't doing anything with it. HD adoption accelerated when the major networks actually started filming everything in it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
These 4K channels have low adoption rates, minimal content, and not really any backing from the major content providers. I think it's likely headed to 3D territory.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe - but Disney+ has a line of shows with 4K Ultra or HDR content - e.g., old Star Wars movies. Disney is big enough to matter somewhat. Since I don't have a 4K TV I can't test it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe - but Disney+ has a line of shows with 4K Ultra or HDR content - e.g., old Star Wars movies. Disney is big enough to matter somewhat. Since I don't have a 4K TV I can't test it.
[/QUOTE]

It's also apples and oranges. Disney+ doesn't have to worry about bandwidth, they've completely outsourced those concerns to the ISPs. Cable/satellite providers really can't provide enough bandwidth on QAM for 4K channels, it can really only be through IP. Even then, you still have the normal content licensing deals associated with it. And other than some FOX 4K offerings on special channels, I'm not aware of the normal content owners providing actual channels. Most of these 4K channels are separate agreements and are owned by the same start-up company. Bundling is a big reason for the bloat of cable/satellite bills, but without it, adoption is near impossible. It's the same challenge for independently owned HD channels, like what you've seen with El Rey shutting down.

The reason HD adoption rates soared was because they started offering the actual channels in HD format. When/if that happens with 4K, we will see similar. The TVs are capable of it, and really the delivery mechanism is capable now as well. But the content has to be there, and if it stays with independent operators, I'm pessimistic on the future of 4K channels. It needs to come from NBCUniversal, Disney, A&E Networks, Discovery or AT&T Time Warner, all of which have their stakes in their own streaming services or other streaming products, which is complicating such launches.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A more neglected Comcast lineup got all of its missing NBCU HD channels in the 1000s. This lineup was missing Bravo HD, CNBC HD, MSNBC HD, Oxygen HD and TV One HD. TV One sometimes has had its carriage included in NBCU agreements as a side arrangement between NBCU and Radio One. This may be connected to a new longer-term agreement for Comcast's own channels.

I haven't seen any movement on Oxygen HD via IP on some of the southern markets, where it's one of the larger holes. There's a few lineups (Dothan, AL comes to mind) where MSNBC isn't in HD. So some of these type issues might get fixed through their footprint.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Discovery en Español HD announced for Spectrum on February 2 in the Northeast, likely elsewhere as well considering their usual patterns.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Some RSN's are doing 4K now like Altitude, NBC SN Chicago and NESN will do 4K by the start of MLB season ..

Reactions: longhorn23
1 - 20 of 31 Posts