AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many members are interested in disc load times for various new BD players: some of the early players were extremely slow

What we would like to do here is ask members to perform some tests based on some simple ground rules so we can see what the various BD players can do: we may post the results in a chart at a later date

Ground rules:

---for this test: times should be measured with BD player on and disc drawer open with disc: time will be measured from when you hit 'play' until the disc loads and playback begins

--- In order to obtain consistent results: use 2 BD titles:

suggest something for a "typical" BD disc and another load time for a Java-intensive disc. Suggestions for the Java disc would be Ratatouille and the typical disc could be Black Hawk Down. Please list the disc titles used.

--- please post results in a consistent manner: Model:xyz Avg Load Time: 123 (in seconds. 1min=60 seconds, etc..) and disc titles

--If player has an option for 'quick start' or similar: turn it ON

The above is an outline only: we welcome suggestions and comments toward the most meaningful data

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/14341658

---for this test: times should be measured with BD player on and disc drawer open with disc: time will be measured from when you hit 'play' until the disc loads and playback begins

For the PS3, would you start counting once the disc completely enters the player since it doesn't have a tray (slot loader)? To equalize them all, perhaps we can start counting when the tray completely closes or the disc completely clears the front of the machine (slot loader).

·
Super Moderator
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 /forum/post/14341704

For the PS3, would you start counting once the disc completely enters the player since it doesn't have a tray (slot loader)? To equalize them all, perhaps we can start counting when the tray completely closes or the disc completely clears the front of the machine (slot loader).

perhaps the PS3 start should be when the disc is inserted as that is more consistent with pressing play with drawer open for conventional players

We all know the PS3 wins this test easily!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/14341721

perhaps the PS3 start should be when the disc is inserted as that is more consistent with pressing play with drawer open for conventional players

We all know the PS3 wins this test easily!

I'll benchmark my Denon 3800 and PS3 when I get home.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
How about adding player turn on delay from standby? I owned the BDP-S300 for 2hours and couldn't stand how long it took to power up.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Player: Samsung BD-P1200 (v2.4 Firmware)

National Treasure 2-BOS/Load time: 30 seconds

The Golden Compass/ Load time: 28 seconds.

Power on to open tray: 13 seconds.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I would also say that all times MUST be recorded with a stopwatch (or at the very least a watch with a second hand/counter). From reading through various threads, it seems that many people don't actually use stopwatches, and instead rely on their own timing to count off the seconds. I shouldn't need to point out just how inaccurate those results can be.

·
Super Moderator
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend /forum/post/14342047

How about adding player turn on delay from standby? I owned the BDP-S300 for 2hours and couldn't stand how long it took to power up.

I had the same issue with a Sony BDP-S1!

Lets keep it consistent for this test as originally stated: start from the time you press play with disc in open drawer

if you want to also note time from power on too, feel free

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Here is my test on Samsung BD-UP5000:

Model: Samsung BD-UP5000, Avg load time:

Typical BD discs: 34 seconds. Titles Tested: There Will be Blood, No Country for Old Man, Pearl Habor, National Treasure 2, Clover Field.

Java BD Discs:

34 seconds Title Tested: POTC 3

53 seconds: RAMBO 4, Die Hard 4.

Other timings I noticed:

1. From player off, hit eject button, it took 14 seconds for disc tray to open.

2. From player off, hit power button, it took 33 seconds for player to finish negotiate HDMI 1080p and display welcome screen.

3. It took player about 20 seconds to determine if the disc is BD, HD DVD or regular DVD.

4. Transformers HD DVD load time is 41 seconds.

All timings are recorded with a stop watch. Load time are averaged and rounded. The variation is about 1~2 seconds.

Firmware version 1.3

EDIT: clarified title info.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 /forum/post/14342104

Player: Samsung BD-P1200 (v2.4 Firmware)

National Treasure 2-BOS/Load time: 30 seconds

The Golden Compass/ Load time: 28 seconds.

Power on to open tray: 13 seconds.

Regards.

Are either of these Java or typical?

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Please specify java or typical when you include the title you tested. The plan is to document load times for a typical disc and java disc.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Panasonic DMP-BD50

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (Java title)

48 seconds from drawer close to first preview, 37 seconds until the "twirling coin".

Black Hawk Down (non-Java)

26 seconds until playback begins.

For Comparison purposes:

Onkyo 805 HD-DVD player (Toshiba XA2 clone)

Transformers (HDi title) 41 seconds until playback begins.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino /forum/post/14346353

Are either of these Java or typical?

Both were 'typical"!

But if you want to know how my BD-P1200 does with a BD-Java disc.....

POTC-COTBP: 35 seconds!

Regards.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/14349069

Sounds like this is a Samsung and Panny load time thread
Where are the stats for other brand of players like PS3?
Denon 3800BDCI

Ratatouille (Java disc) - 45 sec from tray starting to close to first screen

- 20 sec from hitting "Play Movie" until Rat

Black Hawk Down (Typical disc)

- 40 sec from tray starting to close to first screen

- 5 sec from hitting "Play Movie" until first screen

PS3

Ratatouille (Java disc) - 30 sec from tray starting to close to first screen

- 10 seconds from hitting "Play Movie" until Rat

Black Hawk Down (Typical disc)

- 31 from tray starting to close to first screen

- 7 seconds from hitting "Play Movie" until first screen

Denon is connected to a 720p BENQ projector. PS3 is connected to an older Pioneer plasma that accepts 1080p/24. I think the PS3 could have been faster since the screen kept negotiating b/w 1080p/24 and the default rez.

Edit: All have latest firmware except the Denon does not have the factory update (should not affect load times).

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
I'm confused by your listing. What is the difference between "45 (or 30) until first screen" and "20 seconds from hitting Play Movie until Rat"?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/14349267

I'm confused by your listing. What is the difference between "45 (or 30) until first screen" and "20 seconds from hitting Play Movie until Rat"?

"45 (or 30) until first screen" = from time disc is taken by the player to the time a screen from the disc appears.

"20 seconds from hitting Play Movie until Rat" = from the time you select "Play Movie" in Ratatouille's Main Menu until the time the rat with the hoola hoop appears. Technically this rat appears twice on the BD. The first time appears shortly after the disc loads but before the main menu. I am referencing the second appearance of the rat that occurs after selecting "Play Movie" from the main menu.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 /forum/post/14346707

Both were 'typical"!

But if you want to know how my BD-P1200 does with a BD-Java disc.....

POTC-COTBP: 35 seconds!

Regards.

Is this from tray close until "Warnining it may take up to 3 minutes....." screen? If so can you post time it takes to load the menus by pressing the Menu button during previews. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/14341658

We may need to standardize just when "playback begins" means. Some have been taking it as when any screen first appears and some have been taking it as when the main menu first appears.

My vote is for when "any screen" first appears since it doesn't rely on human response to hit the button to go to the main menu. To me, "loading" is fully completed when your player recognizes that the disc is a BD (as opposed to DVD or CD) and shows a screen from the disc for the first time. Any votes for this as a standard for "load time"?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts