AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I didn't see an official Belkin N1 thread, i decided to start one.

My setup-

cable modem, Belkin N1 router, 128bit WEP key enabled

Vonage along with 5.8GHZ Vtech phones

desktop direct to router works fine

laptop w/linksys wireless N card, works fine

The reason I got the N1 router was to try and improve signal strength in my house, which it has done nicely. Problem is the PS3 supports B or G only, so I have the Belkin set for N/G output. It connects, but won't stay connected. I lose the access point and PS3 gets good signal (like 85-100% usually)

I've tried turning off the SSID broadcast and entering the SSID manually

I tried all channels

I tried 20MHZ only, 40MHZ only, or 20/40 combo

I tried turning off the router firewall

I reset the PS3 to factory defaults, then manually entered the SSID

what else can I try here? very frustrating. TIA

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citman /forum/post/0

My setup-

The reason I got the N1 router was to try and improve signal strength in my house, which it has done nicely. Problem is the PS3 supports B or G only, so I have the Belkin set for N/G output. It connects, but won't stay connected. I lose the access point and PS3 gets good signal (like 85-100% usually)

I tried all channels

I have a friend who has the same router and the same issues...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't have a N1, but maybe asking some more specific questions will help get you (all) closer to an answer.

You said "it won't stay connected.."

- How do you know that, i.e. what specific message are you getting and from where?

- How long does it take before you get dropped?

- Is the laptop running when you get dropped?

- Can you / what happens if you set the N1 to only support G mode?

- Have you updated the firmware in the N1? I understand from here that there is an easy update page in the N1's screens.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaDude /forum/post/0

I don't have a N1, but maybe asking some more specific questions will help get you (all) closer to an answer.

- How do you know that, i.e. what specific message are you getting and from where?

- Have you updated the firmware in the N1? I understand from here that there is an easy update page in the N1's screens.

When you check the network status...it says disconnect then connect.

SSID broadcast is turn off on the router

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaDude /forum/post/0

it connects, then you get the disconnected from the access point eror message. or, when you view the status page it stays connected, then disconnects, every 10-15 seconds or so.

Haven't tried it with the laptop off, or on just G mode yet (which would really suck as N is giving me great signal strength throughout the house) OK, will try those 2 things, as well as unplugging the 5.8GHZ phones (can't see that harming it though)

I need to find the phone # for Sony tech support on the PS3 and haggle with them I guess

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rieper /forum/post/0

M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST

Sunday 7:00 a.m. 6:30 p.m

800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

Sorry bout the router - that sucks for you guys.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Have you guys found a solution yet?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9752356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripjammer /forum/post/0

There is nothing wrong with the PS3. it is the Belkin N1 router. There is a new firmware update for the Belkin N1. It will fix the problem. I went to my friend house and he updated the Belkin N1 firmware to the latest, and put the PS3 as static IP and turned of SSID broadcast, and turned of DHCP, and turned off Security and put the PS3 in the DMZ, and everything worked. He stayed connected for over 24 hours straight! He is now at firmware 1.51 and played resistance online for like 24 hours!

The Belkin N1 router works with the PS3!

update the list to reflect that the Belkin N1 works when you update the firmware of the router to the latest version released on 1/17/2007. Remember there are two hardware revisions to this router. You gots to get the right vesion.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Thanks should go to Tripjammer. I think they forgot to post that info in here, and only posted it in the Wireless Routers sticky.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks guys...by the way set it to 40MHZ only...this seem to get the best bandwidth....

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:

I updated the firmware, but I will try these other ideas tonight when i get home, thanks

If you are using the router to check for the update, then it will not find it. You have to go to the Belkin support site and search for N1

http://www.belkin.com/support/articl...=5927&scid=221

F5D8231-4 v1xxx Firmware

F5D8231-4 v1xxx Firmware Date Ver OS

1/17/07 1.01.23 Any

F5D8231-4 v2xxx firmware

IMPORTANT: Please read the following carefully After you clicked 'Update', the router will start a countdown process. Wait till the router counts down to zero. You will see the Router LED on top of the Router is flashing. Close your browser and unplug the power from the Router. Wait 10 seconds and Date Ver OS

1/17/07 2.01.19 Any

------------------------------------------

Download the correct firmware update per hardware type of N1 and you are good to go.

Set to 40MHZ only

Set SSID broadcast to off

Turn off DHCP and set Static IP filtered by MAC for the PS3

Set PS3 to DMZ

Set G/N only

Turn off security (you can play with this if you want but we turned it off)

We downloaded and installed the 1.51 firmware in 10 mins then hard rebooted the PS3 (Very important this seems to avoid the Bluray Movie freezes). The resistance online update took 4 mins.

We stayed connected for 24 hours straight playing Resistance Fall of Man. No drop in connections, no freezes.

The N1 works with the PS3

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripjammer /forum/post/0

We downloaded and installed the 1.51 firmware in 10 mins then hard rebooted the PS3 (Very important this seems to avoid the Bluray Movie freezes). The resistance online update took 4 mins.

Two questions:

1) Doesn't the PS3 automatically reboot after you do an update?

2) What was in the Resistance update? Specifically, all I care about is the ability to either use a mouse/keyboard and/or online coop.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/0

Two questions:

1) Doesn't the PS3 automatically reboot after you do an update?

2) What was in the Resistance update? Specifically, all I care about is the ability to either use a mouse/keyboard and/or online coop.

Nope the PS3 does not automatically reboot, it will reset after you tell it to at the end of the firmware update. You should turn off the PS3 on the back my using the on\\off switch...after a firmware update.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have the same router (and same TV btw
)...

I actually connect wired to the router, but it hasn't stopped me from experiencing issues... Which I've pretty much pinned on the Belkin.

I've done so much troubleshooting and tried so many different things, that I'm almost at a loss as to what finally worked... but it does now.

The first issue is a bit similar to yours in that my internet connection (in general... both wired and wireless connected devices) would drop out after a few hours and I'd have to reset my router and modem. Eventually I replaced the modem and assigned specific DNS addresses in the router (instead of letting the router automatically pick them up). This solved my intermittent internet drop-out issues.

The second issue is definitely router related and specific to the belkin models. For some reason there are a few online games (Call of Duty 3 being one) that won't allow you to connect to all players and, due to something in the router offers no way to fix the issue. It is actually partly on the game too, because other games like R:FoM do work just fine and I never have game joining issues with anyone... But to solve some of the "cannot connect to host" or "cannot connect to all players" issues, I tried a.) setting the PS3 in the DMZ, b.) opening specific CoD ports c.) disabling the firewall, d.) disabling the router NAT option and e.) all of the above. None of it solved the issue.

Since I knew two others having similar issues and they both had belkins, I decided to take it out of the loop. Hooking the ps3 up directly to the modem obviously worked... And hooking the ps3 up to my old linksys wireless G router also worked (using the DMZ on that)...

...what I settled on was running a double NAT set-up and I have my modem connect first to my linksys with my PS3 hard wired to that. Also wired to the linksys is my Belkin with all my other computers wirelessly connected to that (I turned off the linksys wireless broadcast)... And, of course, assign specific DNS address'.

Now everything works... I don't get internet drops and I don't have issues joining any of those specific games...

...all this is to say that as much as I love the range on the pre-n and the n1 belkin routers, I have found that they sometimes have issues with various online games.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW!

it worked! still tweaking some things, but it stayed connected! (downloaded 2 games already)

I also set the DMZ for the PS3 and got the NAT down to type 2 (which is supposed to be better?)

had a IP conflict until I restarted the desktop (had to restart the router also, even after the firmware update) Once I restarted everything (vonage, laptop, ps3, desktop) they all climbed into their IPs and everything appears to be working great for now!

thanks!!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Quote:

My setup-

I tried all channels

I'm glad you got it working properly
However I have some advice for you. You should consider buying yourself a wireless N bridge that plugs into the ethernet port on the back of your PS3. That way you get N speeds with no dropout at the highest speeds capable with your router. Remember that the internal wireless of the ps3 is a very cheap add-on. Take a look at the link below.. Would you buy a wireless adapter B/G that was $15.50 to use with your very expensive and new "wireless N" network?

http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
However I have some advice for you. You should consider buying yourself a wireless N bridge that plugs into the ethernet port on the back of your PS3. That way you get N speeds with no dropout at the highest speeds capable with your router.

I've been looking for a wireless-N bridge for a little while. If you know of one, could you provide a link as to where?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts