AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #542 (Edited)
It looks like this projector is going to be replaced with a slightly revised version. HLG support added along with the revised .47 DMD.

http://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog/index.php/05/02/2019/benq-w1720-successeur-du-w1700-avec-nouvelle-puce-dlp-ise-2019/
I posted this in the other thread already but since you are mentioning it here...

At this time there are no plans to bring the W1720 (update to the W1700/HT2550) stateside. When the HT2550 reaches it's EOL the TK800/TK800M will be the sole entry level 4K in BenQ's lineup here in the US market.

Personally, I'd love it if those plans change but only time will tell.

Edit: when I say entry level I meant at the the entry level price point only. BenQ is launching the step up HT3550 4K projector soon and will add an as-yet unnamed bright room version of the HT3550 by Q2. Below those two model will sit the TK800/TK800M. In the rest of the world they will also get the W1720 (W1700/HT2550 successor). But so far that model is not scheduled to come to the Us.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It looks like this projector is going to be replaced with a slightly revised version. HLG support added along with the revised .47 DMD.

http://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog/index.php/05/02/2019/benq-w1720-successeur-du-w1700-avec-nouvelle-puce-dlp-ise-2019/
I posted this in the other thread already but since you are mentioning it here...

At this time there are no plans to bring the W1720 (update to the W1700/HT2550) stateside. When the HT2550 reaches it's EOL the TK800/TK800M will be the sole entry level 4K in BenQ's lineup here in the US market.

Personally, I'd love it if those plans change but only time will tell.
What about the 2700/HT3550 that's about to come out?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #544 (Edited)
What about the 2700/HT3550 that's about to come out?

The HT3550 is coming here and I should have a review sample sometime next week. Should be getting an announcement about price and release date sometime between now and then. :)

Sorry I realized how my prior post could be misconstrued. I’ve edited it.

Reactions: Spaded21

·
Registered
7 Posts
So far I've only run into one disc that has any issues. Unfortunately it's one of my favorite reference discs: the UHD re-release of The Dark Crystal. For whatever reason this movie has an annoying flicker that shows up throughout the movie. Not sure if this has to do with the 3:2 pulldown or something to do with the way the movie is filmed not playing well with the pixel shifting frequency. I have a similar issue with this disc when I force 24Hz on one of my old plasmas.

Other than that I haven't had any issues. In fact, the vast majority of the time I'm simply blown away by how much value this projector offers. The 4K release of MI: Fallout contains some of the best IMAX material I've yet seen in a feature film and this projector handles it beautifully. PE2 and BP2 are simply stunning. I bought Interstellar on 4K bluray-- a movie I have a conflicted opinion of-- just to witness those jaw dropping IMAX scenes.
Ouch - that's one of my favourite films, and was next on my 'to buy' list, actually. Was the flicker throughout the entire film? Funny that you mentioned it, when I was watching the Labyrinth 4K disc, I noticed an odd flicker on some shots, mainly in the 'hands making the faces' scene - I wonder is it the same issue you are referring to?

Yeah, agreed on the value - when I popped in the two Blade Runner discs I was floor with the clarity, depth and colour - I finally see how close we are now to actual film prints in our movie rooms. I've not picked up the Blue Planet or PE discs yet, heard they are stunning though. I have both Predator and Die Hard lined up for the weekend which will keep me happy :)

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #546
Ouch - that's one of my favourite films, and was next on my 'to buy' list, actually. Was the flicker throughout the entire film? Funny that you mentioned it, when I was watching the Labyrinth 4K disc, I noticed an odd flicker on some shots, mainly in the 'hands making the faces' scene - I wonder is it the same issue you are referring to?

Yeah, agreed on the value - when I popped in the two Blade Runner discs I was floor with the clarity, depth and colour - I finally see how close we are now to actual film prints in our movie rooms. I've not picked up the Blue Planet or PE discs yet, heard they are stunning though. I have both Predator and Die Hard lined up for the weekend which will keep me happy :)

If you’re seeing an occasional flicker, especially after a hard cut, your eye might be picking up on the pixel shift or possibly even the lamp dimming. That is fairly ‘normal’ and something I pick up on occasionally. What I’m talking about is a constant and very visible strobe effect. I’ve only seen this on the one 4K release so it’s something about the disc not playing nice with the projector or maybe even my uhd player. Haven’t had the time to play with it and see if I can troubleshoot. Might have time his weekend. Honestly, I just chalked it up to being a problem with the master and moved on. I have hundreds of hours on the BenQ and have not seen anything similar so I’m ready to blame the disc itself in this case.

Reactions: 4Knewbie

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you’re seeing an occasional flicker, especially after a hard cut, your eye might be picking up on the pixel shift or possibly even the lamp dimming. That is fairly ‘normal’ and something I pick up on occasionally. What I’m talking about is a constant and very visible strobe effect. I’ve only seen this on the one 4K release so it’s something about the disc not playing nice with the projector or maybe even my uhd player. Haven’t had the time to play with it and see if I can troubleshoot. Might have time his weekend. Honestly, I just chalked it up to being a problem with the master and moved on. I have hundreds of hours on the BenQ and have not seen anything similar so I’m ready to blame the disc itself in this case.
Ah, Ok - no, this definitely wasn't strobing, and wasn't that obvious, either; the sort of thing my wife probably wouldn't have picked up on. I'll be buying the Dark Crystal disc this month, so I'll see how I get on with it.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
Ah, Ok - no, this definitely wasn't strobing, and wasn't that obvious, either; the sort of thing my wife probably wouldn't have picked up on. I'll be buying the Dark Crystal disc this month, so I'll see how I get on with it.

I’ll try and revisit it this coming week. I have a good excuse as I’m doing a review on the HT3550.

Reactions: scottyroo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey everyone, I want to buy a projector, and two among those I've found through my research are the HT2550 and the TK800. I want to put up a 100'' - 120''. I've been told that brightness helps when it comes to bigger screen sizes, so I'm asking if any owner of the HT2550 uses it with a 120'' screen

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey everyone, I want to buy a projector, and two among those I've found through my research are the HT2550 and the TK800. I want to put up a 100'' - 120''. I've been told that brightness helps when it comes to bigger screen sizes, so I'm asking if any owner of the HT2550 uses it with a 120'' screen
I used the HT2550 on a 120" Silver Ticket, white screen, in a white room, with blackout curtains on the one large window in the room.

It looked fantastic with the lights turned off, and the shades closed. Would be better with dark walls, but it looked great with the standard new-housing off-white color.

If you want to watch with the lights on, I don't recommend it. TK800 would be the better choice with any ambient light I think (from what I've read on this forum).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used the HT2550 on a 120" Silver Ticket, white screen, in a white room, with blackout curtains on the one large window in the room.

It looked fantastic with the lights turned off, and the shades closed. Would be better with dark walls, but it looked great with the standard new-housing off-white color.

If you want to watch with the lights on, I don't recommend it. TK800 would be the better choice with any ambient light I think (from what I've read on this forum).
Would you watch under some dim lighting?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Would you watch under some dim lighting?
Not the way my room was setup. If I had light cans over the seating area, that were dimmable, independent of the room lighting, then sure. But since my room only had one light in the middle, it was always off for movie viewing. Honestly, the screen reflects enough light in a room with white walls, that dim lights aren't necessary. You won't lose your beer or peanuts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not the way my room was setup. If I had light cans over the seating area, that were dimmable, independent of the room lighting, then sure. But since my room only had one light in the middle, it was always off for movie viewing. Honestly, the screen reflects enough light in a room with white walls, that dim lights aren't necessary. You won't lose your beer or peanuts.
No, I meant if you would be able to watch something on the projector screen if the room was dimly lit, either by sunlight or lights

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone compared the HT2550 to the TK800 in terms of color accuracy and range? And are these projectors prone to gradient banding?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #557
Has anyone compared the HT2550 to the TK800 in terms of color accuracy and range? And are these projectors prone to gradient banding?

On color:

I talk about this in my review of the TK800.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2988436-benq-tk800-4k-hdr-projector-review-thread.html#/topics/2988436

The HT2550 has the better color accuracy. In fact, the HT2550 is one of the best in this price range when it comes to color accuracy. Secrets tested the HT2550’s out-of-the-box cinema mode and found it exhibited an average delta E error of 1.99. That’s excellent performance and matches BenQ’s promise of dE errors

·
Registered
33 Posts
On color:

I talk about this in my review of the TK800.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2988436-benq-tk800-4k-hdr-projector-review-thread.html#/topics/2988436

The HT2550 has the better color accuracy. In fact, the HT2550 is one of the best in this price range when it comes to color accuracy. Secrets tested the HT2550’s out-of-the-box cinema mode and found it exhibited an average delta E error of 1.99. That’s excellent performance and matches BenQ’s promise of dE errors

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #559 (Edited)
First of all, thank you for time. I live in Europe and because of that the Epson 4010 is out of the question. I take it that the HT2550 shines only in very or pitch black dark rooms? And are there any news on the HT3550's price tag?

Not at all, the HT2550 has enough output that it can stand up to some ambient light. Especially in it’s sport and vivid picture modes. But the TK800 is in another league. The TK800 is really intended to be used in ambient light situations. Think game day parties and Netflix binging. Even it’s cinema mode is bright enough to watch with the lights on. The TK800 has SO much output I actually found it a little too bright on my 100” neutral gain screen in a fully dark room. While there are ways to further dim the image I found most of them had a knock on effect on picture quality.

So it really depends on how you plan to use the projector. If you primarily watch with some lights on or watch during the the day and don’t have full control over light entering your room then the TK800 is the better choice. The TK800 will still look great in a dark room but it’s impressive lumen output gives it extra versatility to use in any setting. If, however, you primarily watch in a dark or light controlled room and will only need to compete with ambient light occasionally then I would say the HT2550 is the better choice. The HT2550’s focus on color accuracy and cinema features makes it a better performer in the more critical environment of a theater-like space.

Official pricing for the HT3550/W2700 will be announced on Feb 25. The HT3550 is similar to the HT2550 in that it prioritizes dark room picture quality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not at all, the HT2550 has enough output that it can stand up to some ambient light. Especially in it’s sport and vivid picture modes. But the TK800 is in another league. The TK800 is really intended to be used in ambient light situations. Think game day parties and Netflix binging. Even it’s cinema mode is bright enough to watch with the lights on. The TK800 has SO much output I actually found it a little too bright on my 100” neutral gain screen in a fully dark room. While there are ways to further dim the image I found most of them had a knock on effect on picture quality.

So it really depends on how you plan to use the projector. If you primarily watch with some lights on or watch during the the day and don’t have full control over light entering your room then the TK800 is the better choice. The TK800 will still look great in a dark room but it’s impressive lumen output gives it extra versatility to use in any setting. If, however, you primarily watch in a dark or light controlled room and will only need to compete with ambient light occasionally then I would say the HT2550 is the better choice. The HT2550’s focus on color accuracy and cinema features makes it a better performer in the more critical environment of a theater-like space.

Official pricing for the HT3550/W2700 will be announced on Feb 25. The HT3550 is similar to the HT2550 in that it prioritizes dark room picture quality.
So the TK800 is too bright for watching something in the middle of the night? Do you think that the TK800/HT2550's price tags will drop due to the new projector?

541 - 560 of 697 Posts