AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
So the TK800 is too bright for watching something in the middle of the night? Do you think that the TK800/HT2550's price tags will drop due to the new projector?

It’s down to preference. Full disclosure, I’m a plasma fan that still owns three of those old beasts and do not own a single LCD television. I almost always watch in the dark. Lastly, I have a relatively small screen by today’s standards, 100” so I don’t need a lot of lumens to light up my screen. In my situation the HT2550 produces more than enough output.

A lot of people really like a big, bright image. For me, in my environment, the TK800 was borderline too bright. Switching off brilliant color or dropping the lamp to eco is an extremely effective way to reduce output on the TK800 to a more comfortable level for theater use but, as I point out in my review, I’m not a big fan of the image with BC off and I really liked the improved contrast in the smarteco lamp mode. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Can this projector (or the TK800) be placed on a projector ground stand with adjustable height?

Of course. Neither has lens shift, only zoom. So you’ll want make sure you can target your desired screen height.

Another thing to consider when using these on a table is their throw. These are not short or ‘shorter’ throw projectors that will sit closer to the screen. In my room, the HT2550 has to be placed along the back wall to target my 100” screen. If I wanted to table mount this would have caused an issue for me as I would have had to place my seating left or right of the projector while being carful that nothing obstructed the light path (coffee table, ottoman, etc.). In my small room this simply wouldn’t have worked. Table placement is always an option but unless you have a large room (or a smaller screen) table mounting is best reserved for short or shorter throw projectors, IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Of course. Neither has lens shift, only zoom. So you’ll want make sure you can target your desired screen height.

Another thing to consider when using these on a table is their throw. These are not short or ‘shorter’ throw projectors that will sit closer to the screen. In my room, the HT2550 has to be placed along the back wall to target my 100” screen. If I wanted to table mount this would have caused an issue for me as I would have had to place my seating left or right of the projector while being carful that nothing obstructed the light path (coffee table, ottoman, etc.). In my small room this simply wouldn’t have worked. Table placement is always an option but unless you have a large room (or a smaller screen) table mounting is best reserved for short or shorter throw projectors, IMO.
I was thinking of placing it on a projector stand at approximately 1.50m height behind the viewers. I'd like to have to screen with a width between 100'' - 120''. Is this feasible without keystone correction?

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
I was thinking of placing it on a projector stand at approximately 1.50m height behind the viewers. I'd like to have to screen with a width between 100'' - 120''. Is this feasible without keystone correction?
Does the projector stand allow you to mount it inverted?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guys Newbie here .... It looks like here in Canada the HT 3550 will be $500 more then the ht2550 on sale... Coming from an old w1070 on its 4th lamp... no real placement issues ... light control room , black screen wall etc... would I be happy with the upgrade to ht2550 or is the $500 worth it too wait ? I Have the huge upgrade bug for up the coming NHL playoffs as i get 4k Rogers Hockey broadcasts and Game of Thrones etc ???

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
Guys Newbie here .... It looks like here in Canada the HT 3550 will be $500 more then the ht2550 on sale... Coming from an old w1070 on its 4th lamp... no real placement issues ... light control room , black screen wall etc... would I be happy with the upgrade to ht2550 or is the $500 worth it too wait ? I Have the huge upgrade bug for up the coming NHL playoffs as i get 4k Rogers Hockey broadcasts and Game of Thrones etc ???

In your situation with a nice room— if you can afford it I’d wait. I’m going to be the first to say that while I expected the HT3550 to be an upgrade I didn’t quite expect how MUCH of an upgrade it would be.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
In your situation with a nice room— if you can afford it I’d wait. I’m going to be the first to say that while I expected the HT3550 to be an upgrade I didn’t quite expect how MUCH of an upgrade it would be.

I’ll second this, I purchased the HT2550 as an upgrade to my HT1075. After a few days I realized that the picture was only a slight upgrade when watching 4K and a substantial downgrade when watching SDR content. In all fairness this was an early model with some firmware and qc issues that were later addressed. Also my screen is only 120” so the added resolution wasn’t as substantial as it would be on a larger screen.

From what it looks like, HT3550 is either equal or better in almost all aspects. I was on the fence on the HT2550. Considering the HT3550 is the same price as the HT2550 was last year the HT3550 is the best choice imo. I’m guessing that’s why the ht2550 is being discontinued.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #571 (Edited)
I haven't found any stand that allows that. Is this an absolute necessity?
And I've read your HT3550 review. Do you think I should wait for it or buy the TK800?
Most projectors don’t project straight ahead-- the bottom of the image will be above the center point of the lens. So if you sit the projector upright on a high shelf or stand you are going to be projecting high onto your wall or, most likely, your ceiling. Most all projectors are made to be inverted and mounted to a ceiling (in my case a wall) in which case it would project 'down' onto the screen.

Otherwise you would need a projector with generous lens shift. In this price range (sub $3k) that means either settling for 1080p or going with one of the 4k enhanced Epsons (1080p x2). BenQ will soon release the 4K HT5550 but pricing and availability is not finalized yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most projectors don’t project straight ahead-- the bottom of the image will be above the center point of the lens. So if you sit the projector upright on a high shelf or stand you are going to be projecting high onto your wall or, most likely, your ceiling. Most all projectors are made to be inverted and mounted to a ceiling (in my case a wall) in which case it would project 'down' onto the screen.

Otherwise you would need a projector with generous lens shift. In this price range (sub $3k) that means either settling for 1080p or going with one of the 4k enhanced Epsons (1080p x2). BenQ will soon release the 4K HT5550 but pricing and availability is not finalized yet.
I know about the projected image being higher than the lens. I've been using BenQ's calculator https://projectorcalculator.benq.com/and there is the option of desktop placement. So according to this calculator I can actually place it on a stand

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know about the projected image being higher than the lens. I've been using BenQ's calculator https://projectorcalculator.benq.com/and there is the option of desktop placement. So according to this calculator I can actually place it on a stand

Yes. That calculator also shows you where the image would be. In this case the image would start above your stand.

Are you planning to project from behind the couch? In that case the image would be too high.

May be a coffee table between the seats might work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes. That calculator also shows you where the image would be. In this case the image would start above your stand.

Are you planning to project from behind the couch? In that case the image would be too high.

May be a coffee table between the seats might work

Yeah, I'll be projecting from behind the couch at approximately 3.6m. And at a height of a max 1.5m. Maybe lower I don't know for sure

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
Yeah, I'll be projecting from behind the couch at approximately 3.6m. And at a height of a max 1.5m. Maybe lower I don't know for sure

I’m confused. How tall are your ceilings?

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #577
My ceiling is 3m(9.8ft) tall. I meant that the distance between my couch and the screen is at around 3.6m(11.8ft)

No I got that I’m just wondering how far up your wall you really want your screen?

First of all, at that throw you are going to be targeting at least a 130” 16:9 screen. Find that here:

This should be fine for width as you indicated you wanted a screen of no more than 120” in WIDTH. A 130” (diagonal) screen is 113”wide.

What I’m more concerned about is HEIGHT. A 130 screen is about 1.6 meters tall. Combined with the HT2550’s vertical offset of 162mm (which you can also find in the chart) that means the top edge of the screen is going to be 1.78 meters above the center point of the lens. If your projector is on a stand 1.5m off the floor that would mean the top edge of your screen will be 3.3 meters high— it doesn’t fit. The top 20% of the projected image is going to be hitting your ceiling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually, I meant a diagonal of max 120''. My bad sorry. Based on what the calculator's showing me, 120'' might be too much for my room. Because as you said it will be too high from the ground and essentially touching the ceiling. What's the maximum distance between the bottom of the screen and the ground based on your obvious experience and expertise?

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #579
Actually, I meant a diagonal of max 120''. My bad sorry. Based on what the calculator's showing me, 120'' might be too much for my room. Because as you said it will be too high from the ground and essentially touching the ceiling. What's the maximum distance between the bottom of the screen and the ground based on your obvious experience and expertise?

I have less than 18” between my floor and where my 100” screen begins. :) My projector is mounted (inverted) behind my couch and projectors over the head of my loveseat.

I learned in my first instal that mounting the screen too high is a major no-no. You want the screen as low as possible so that it’s comfortable to watch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your photo doesn't do your screen justice, at first it looked like it was around 70'':p. And then I realized that your ceiling is actually quite tall. And your screen may be placed a bit too closed to the ground for my taste. I like looking a bit higher than my eyes, just like at a cinema

561 - 580 of 697 Posts