AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
Your photo doesn't do your screen justice, at first it looked like it was around 70'':p. And then I realized that your ceiling is actually quite tall. And your screen may be placed a bit too closed to the ground for my taste. I like looking a bit higher than my eyes, just like at a cinema

I have 9 foot ceilings. :)

Old cinemas maybe. Most every theater in our area is now stadium style seating so you no longer have to crane your neck back to see it.

Everyone has a personal preference here and I would never assume to tell someone how they should watch. But the issue for you is more going to be running out of room. From where you want to place your projector you are going to be butting up against your ceiling or actually hitting your ceiling. I would strongly consider buying a ceiling mount. If you like your screen higher you won’t even need much of a drop tube. It will get the projector up out of the way, get your furniture out of the light path, and get the heat/noise away from your head.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 9 foot ceilings. :)

Old cinemas maybe. Most every theater in our area is now stadium style seating so you no longer have to crane your neck back to see it.

Everyone has a personal preference here and I would never assume to tell someone how they should watch. But the issue for you is more going to be running out of room. From where you want to place your projector you are going to be butting up against your ceiling or actually hitting your ceiling. I would strongly consider buying a ceiling mount. If you like your screen higher you won’t even need much of a drop tube. It will get the projector up out of the way, get your furniture out of the light path, and get the heat/noise away from your head.

Cinemas are like that over here too. But I always feel like I raise my eyes just a bit. Nevermind that, the only reason I'm against ceiling mounts is all the hassle. Like piercing the ceiling and all the hanging cables

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
Cinemas are like that over here too. But I always feel like I raise my eyes just a bit. Nevermind that, the only reason I'm against ceiling mounts is all the hassle. Like piercing the ceiling and all the hanging cables

These DLPs are really designed to satisfy two installations: mounted above or on a low table out in front.

Projecting from a shelf behind you couch is something that is possible but you’re going to be projecting well above your head and you’re going to need to make sure you clear the ceiling. This position is much more comfortable for projectors with a generous degree of lens shift. The only 4K DLPs capable of that (in this price range) are the JVC UH1 and the soon-to-be-released BenQ HT5550. Both are going to cost a lot more than the HT2550/TK800 or even the Ht3550.

·
Registered
33 Posts
These DLPs are really designed to satisfy two installations: mounted above or on a low table out in front.

Projecting from a shelf behind you couch is something that is possible but you’re going to be projecting well above your head and you’re going to need to make sure you clear the ceiling. This position is much more comfortable for projectors with a generous degree of lens shift. The only 4K DLPs capable of that (in this price range) are the JVC UH1 and the soon-to-be-released BenQ HT5550. Both are going to cost a lot more than the HT2550/TK800 or even the Ht3550.
I see. There will also have to be no hanging lights and all that, right? I'll have to wait for the renovations to finish, since it's not even my house we're talking about

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #585
I see. There will also have to be no hanging lights and all that, right? I'll have to wait for the renovations to finish, since it's not even my house we're talking about

I mean, anything in the light path will create a shadow. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Sage, you mentioned in this thread that you like the Mediabridge cables. I happen to have one from 2015 that I had been using with my old non-HD projector. Should work based on Amazon description. "Mediabridge HDMI Cable (25 Feet) Supports [email protected], High Speed, Hand-Tested, HDMI 2.0 Ready - UHD, 18Gbps, Audio Return Channel" You mentioned ultra series which I don't see in this description but the rest seems to look good. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
Hi Sage, you mentioned in this thread that you like the Mediabridge cables. I happen to have one from 2015 that I had been using with my old non-HD projector. Should work based on Amazon description. "Mediabridge HDMI Cable (25 Feet) Supports [email protected], High Speed, Hand-Tested, HDMI 2.0 Ready - UHD, 18Gbps, Audio Return Channel" You mentioned ultra series which I don't see in this description but the rest seems to look good. Thoughts?

That’s what I have and it works great. Small disclaimer: mine is only 15 ft. But if it says that the 25 will work for 4K/60Hz I’d be willing to give it a shot. I’ve been really impressed by media bridge so far. I’ve ordered a variety of their products and have yet to be disappointed.

Reactions: home4sale2

·
Registered
167 Posts

That’s what I have and it works great. Small disclaimer: mine is only 15 ft. But if it says that the 25 will work for 4K/60Hz I’d be willing to give it a shot. I’ve been really impressed by media bridge so far. I’ve ordered a variety of their products and have yet to be disappointed.
If you will be running the cable in wall be sure to test it first before pulling it. I had a 40ft run and needed to use a fiber hdmi to get 4k to work properly. Longer runs tend to need fiber HDMI.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is there a way for me to truly test a cable? Is there sample content or specific movies and certain scenes that test the full 18gbps for example? I don't have any 4K content yet. Sorry if it's a silly question. Thus far I have a player, a receiver and will have this projector. Also, it seems 25' is where the cutoff is. Does that encompass the run from the player to the receiver (say 6') and then from receiver to the projector (say 25')?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
Is there a way for me to truly test a cable? Is there sample content or specific movies and certain scenes that test the full 18gbps for example? I don't have any 4K content yet. Sorry if it's a silly question. Thus far I have a player, a receiver and will have this projector. Also, it seems 25' is where the cutoff is. Does that encompass the run from the player to the receiver (say 6') and then from receiver to the projector (say 25')?

Go buy Billy Lynn’s Long Half Time Walk.

Reactions: home4sale2

·
Registered
203 Posts
How do you plan to play your content?

I have an Apple TV 4K and Xbox. I can force both of them to output HDR at 60Hz. And the info screen on my HT2550 confirms it is getting HDR at 60Hz.
In addition Xbox also allows you force the bit depth as well in the settings.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought a 4K player so through media and also streaming through Netflix and prime. I have an old PC which puts out VGA so through a conversion to hdmi (adapter) at 1080 till I get a newer htpc as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
If any owners are having problems with 3D SBS & occasional sync problems like I was on 1.0.3 firmware. Send it in for firmware 1.0.5 it fixes it. Also you get HLG & in the info bar at upper left corner it tells you if the show (movie) is in HDR. It only took one week turn around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If any owners are having problems with 3D SBS & occasional sync problems like I was on 1.0.3 firmware. Send it in for firmware 1.0.5 it fixes it. Also you get HLG & in the info bar at upper left corner it tells you if the show (movie) is in HDR. It only took one week turn around.
With the update do you have the option to turn 3D on manually??

As it is now my projector has 3D mode greyed out unless it detects a 3D video signal. If it doesn't detect that special signal no 3D for me.
This annoys me because I can't play any 3D video files on my Nvidia Shield or Mibox.

·
Registered
596 Posts
With the update do you have the option to turn 3D on manually??

As it is now my projector has 3D mode greyed out unless it detects a 3D video signal. If it doesn't detect that special signal no 3D for me.
This annoys me because I can't play any 3D video files on my Nvidia Shield or Mibox.

Yes, for me all my movies are on Plex & they are SBS. When you select a movie turn "ON" 3D. Select "YES" the "3D MODE" menu will pop up.It will have

Auto
Frame Sequential
Top-Bottom
Side-By-Side

Off

So just select the one you need.It take a few seconds for the movie to appear so I just pause it till it starts.

mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, for me all my movies are on Plex & they are SBS. When you select a movie turn "ON" 3D. Select "YES" the "3D MODE" menu will pop up.It will have

Auto
Frame Sequential
Top-Bottom
Side-By-Side

Off

So just select the one you need.It take a few seconds for the movie to appear so I just pause it till it starts.

mark
Thats awesome! Maybe I can actually watch a 3D movie now. How did you get them to update the firmware? Did you have to call customer service? or email? Did you have to pay for shipping?

Looks like there might be a hair in my projector too, there's an annoying squiggle in the corner of the videos. Im hoping they can clean it out while they have it. I Dont want to open it up myself and void the warranty or even worse break it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thats awesome! Maybe I can actually watch a 3D movie now. How did you get them to update the firmware? Did you have to call customer service? or email? Did you have to pay for shipping?

Looks like there might be a hair in my projector too, there's an annoying squiggle in the corner of the videos. Im hoping they can clean it out while they have it. I Dont want to open it up myself and void the warranty or even worse break it.

Call BenQ Customer Service at 866-600-BenQ(2367). They pay shipping both ways I'm sure they will clean it for you. Make you tell them about hair and you want the latest firmware 1.0.5.

mark

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have a bulb and few picture setting related questions.

When and how to change the bulb if and when it goes out? I got the projector last year and forgot how many hours I have on it. I will check tonight and update.

Now, I have 135" screen and projecting from about 16 feet. I went to neighbors house to check his newly built HT room. He is using an Optoma 4k, and projected on his grey painted wall ceiling to bottom, using a bluray player and I was impressed with the PQ, I always feel my PQ could be sharper, not sure if I can do anything in the settings to make it pop more.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Team,

What would you say is a drop in upgrade replacement for the HT2550?
I have a fixed screen and the current HT2550 is all the way at the back of the room already.

Feeling itchy and just looking for an upgrade with better colors, better hdr and similar Throw Ratio: 1.47 – 1.76 so I don't have to redo any mounts or furniture.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Hi Team,

What would you say is a drop in upgrade replacement for the HT2550?
I have a fixed screen and the current HT2550 is all the way at the back of the room already.

Feeling itchy and just looking for an upgrade with better colors, better hdr and similar Throw Ratio: 1.47 – 1.76 so I don't have to redo any mounts or furniture.
Most things are going to be sideways unless you are willing to spend more, and just about everything has Pro's and Con's.
Better HDR?

Hmm, do you mean brighter?

I'm not sure there is all that much options by using the same mount, not really that hard to replace the mount though.

Epson 5040's TR is 1.37 to 2.87...
I would say a used JVC, if you want to risk it.

581 - 600 of 697 Posts