AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just realized I need exact throw ratio of 1.76. Willing to spend $3.5k for a used model for this upgrade. Looking at the Sony 295 ES or Optoma UHZ65. Looking for better contrast and brighter highlights for better hdr. What do you think? I'm afraid the ht2550 already does such a good job I won't tell much of a difference.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
Forget the Sony, it's HDR capabilities are partially handicapped and it's not very bright (which is going to handicap HDR in itself).
You would also 'possibly' be taking a sharpness hit with the Sony compared to the JVC or Optoma.
The Sony is more hit or miss on convergence and lens issues (russian roulette), even the newer Sonys.

For HDR, the JVC's have the most expanded DCI-P3 coverage, but I think there is a filter you can buy for the UHZ-65 to gain more coverage.
I'm not sure how much difference coverage % makes in real world viewing, the UHZ 65 has brighter torch modes but way more inaccurate color.

A used or B-Stock JVC RS-540(x790) is going to be the best overall for picture quality. I think the native contrast gain of the JVC would be way more interesting than the HDR capability.
You'll need some 3rd party tone mapping stuf to go with it, the Panasonic UB820 or MadVR I think is what most are using, but there is some other stuff you can.

Heck, for that price you might ALMOST be able to find a new RS-540, if JVC releases another final batch before being fully discontinued (they might this month supposedly).

It's going to be hard to beat a JVC at that price range, not sure I'd spend that much money on anything else, but the UHZ-65 would be pretty good.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have a 135” screen and can go bigger and want to try it on with my benq what is the biggest size that this projector can go upto.

I saw a friend use his wall too to bottom and side to side and I was impressed and my 135” at the time looked big is now not looking so big. I have the flexibility to rearrange and was wondering if someone could help with the calculations and the distance needed.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
Use the projection calculator on projectorcentral.com or benq.com.

·
Registered
15 Posts
HT2550 or HT3550?

I own a 1080p HT2050, which I project to a 170" screen, and am super happy with it, but I'd like to upgrade to 4k. So, I'm debating between getting a refurb HT2550 now, or save to afford the HT3550 later. I have a dark room, but since I watch 3D contents, I'm afraid the HT3550 2k lumens will make 3D even darker. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #606
Since the advent of 4K I’ve found myself moving away from 3D. It’s a shame that 3D is no longer supported in the UHD spec.

The HT3550 produces a great 3D image with none of the issues that the prior HT2550 and TK800 exhibited. But it isn’t exactly the brightest presentation. IMO, 3D on the HT3550 is best enjoyed in a light controlled room which— to be fair— is really how 3D should be viewed. If you’re trying to push an especially large screen or have a relatively poor room (light colored surfaces or ambient light) then you’ll want to look at the TK800M instead. I haven’t had the good fortune to review a TK800M myself but Scottyroo did and came away impressed. It won’t have the contrast or color quality of the HT3550 in 2D but it will pump out a spectacularly bright picture which is a boon for 3D.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since the advent of 4K I’ve found myself moving away from 3D. It’s a shame that 3D is no longer supported in the UHD spec.

The HT3550 produces a great 3D image with none of the issues that the prior HT2550 and TK800 exhibited. But it isn’t exactly the brightest presentation. IMO, 3D on the HT3550 is best enjoyed in a light controlled room which— to be fair— is really how 3D should be viewed. If you’re trying to push an especially large screen or have a relatively poor room (light colored surfaces or ambient light) then you’ll want to look at the TK800M instead. I haven’t had the good fortune to review a TK800M myself but Scottyroo did and came away impressed. It won’t have the contrast or color quality of the HT3550 in 2D but it will pump out a spectacularly bright picture which is a boon for 3D.
That's good info! I do have a dark room. Ignoring 3D, would you recommend me to save for the HT3550, or get the refurb HT2550 now? (Price difference is huge, and with two kids in college...).

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #608
That's good info! I do have a dark room. Ignoring 3D, would you recommend me to save for the HT3550, or get the refurb HT2550 now? (Price difference is huge, and with two kids in college...).

I really like the Ht2550 and I was sad that BenQ isn’t brining it’s successor to the US. That said, it’s clear the Ht3550 is a next generation product. It’s just better in every way. Depends on how much that difference in price is worth to you but if you can swing it I think the HT3550 is one of the best projector values going right now.

Are you sticking with 4K or is 1080p an option?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really like the Ht2550 and I was sad that BenQ isn’t brining it’s successor to the US. That said, it’s clear the Ht3550 is a next generation product. It’s just better in every way. Depends on how much that difference in price is worth to you but if you can swing it I think the HT3550 is one of the best projector values going right now.

Are you sticking with 4K or is 1080p an option?
I own the HT2050 (1080p), which I love. I want to upgrade to 4k, and my options are: Refurb HT2550, or brand-new HT3550 for about 700 dollars more (ouch). Anyway, thanks to you guys' advice, I think I'll save and wait for a HT3550! On a sort of related subject, I just bought an Onkyo "4K" 7.2 receiver because I know I'll need it when I upgrade my projector, and I got it for the ridiculous price of $198.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
I own the HT2050 (1080p), which I love. I want to upgrade to 4k, and my options are: Refurb HT2550, or brand-new HT3550 for about 700 dollars more (ouch). Anyway, thanks to you guys' advice, I think I'll save and wait for a HT3550! On a sort of related subject, I just bought an Onkyo "4K" 7.2 receiver because I know I'll need it when I upgrade my projector, and I got it for the ridiculous price of $198.

Good work: I tell people to never overspend on their AVR. Tech changes too quickly and the amp makes far less of an impact in sound quality than the speakers or the room.

Also, I think you’re right to wait for the HT3550.

Again, I love the Ht2550. Would really like to see the new and improved W1720 but we won’t be getting it on these shores. The HT3550 is the upgrade from the HT2050 that, in many ways, the original HT2550 wasn’t. The HT2550 is a great projector and for the price it’s an amazing deal. But it’s not a clear upgrade over the HT2050– a projector that punches way above it’s price— where the Ht3550 IS.

Reactions: gerote

·
Registered
75 Posts
Been looking for info on the HT2550, does anyone know if it'll support ARC? Trying to figure out a way to run audio from the shield back to it so I can get 4k content to the HT2550, but get my lossless audio back to the receiver. Can't passthrough the receiver because it doesnt support 4k or hdr content passthrough, just 1080p.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #612
Been looking for info on the HT2550, does anyone know if it'll support ARC? Trying to figure out a way to run audio from the shield back to it so I can get 4k content to the HT2550, but get my lossless audio back to the receiver. Can't passthrough the receiver because it doesnt support 4k or hdr content passthrough, just 1080p.

No arc.

I too have a receiver that won’t pass 4K (it says it will but the unit predates HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 so it’s bandwidth and encryption protocol limited). I didn’t want to buy a new amp so I purchased a Sony X800 that has 2 HDMI outputs- 1 specifically for audio. I know that doesn’t help in your situation. Maybe ask other shield owners in the HTPC section?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi guys... new with my HT2550/W1700 here.
Which do you think are the best affordable 3D Glasses you recommend for this proyector?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi guys... new with my HT2550/W1700 here.
Which do you think are the best affordable 3D Glasses you recommend for this proyector?
I got these ones on Amazon. About $23 each. Search by this:

eDimensional
4.3 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews
Adult DLP LINK eD Elite 144 Hz 3D Glasses (eDimensional Active Rechargeable) for All 3D DLP Projectors - BenQ, Optoma, ViewSonic & Endless Others!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I got these ones on Amazon. About $23 each. Search by this:

eDimensional
4.3 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews
Adult DLP LINK eD Elite 144 Hz 3D Glasses (eDimensional Active Rechargeable) for All 3D DLP Projectors - BenQ, Optoma, ViewSonic & Endless Others!
Wow.. the look awesome. And seem to block light from both sides. Great

·
Registered
348 Posts
BTW guys. I'm about to send my HT2550/W1700 to BenQ for firmware UPDATE.
Do I need to package all the accessories, documents, instructions and stuff the box came with too? or just the Projector and the power cord?
I'm trying to contact them but they seem to got out from work for the day.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #617
BTW guys. I'm about to send my HT2550/W1700 to BenQ for firmware UPDATE.

Do I need to package all the accessories, documents, instructions and stuff the box came with too? or just the Projector and the power cord?

I'm trying to contact them but they seem to got out from work for the day.

Just the projector.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi guys... My projector's firmware is finally being updated. Thank you for your tips. Meanwhile I've read most your posts.

My set up will be a 120" screen, UHD bluray discs (1080p and 3D included) through a Sony X700 4K player, in a completely ambient and light controlled room. I'm still very much in love with physical media. So.. any configuration tips? For example the thing about HDR some of you guys say is lacking so better to go with SDR, while some others say HDR in this thing really shined since the 1.0.4 firmware update. So what do you recommend for my 120" screen? I of course will ultimately use my own eyes and judgement, but you guys have made great findings and I want to learn the "empiric basics" before anything.

Thanks so much in advance!

601 - 620 of 697 Posts