AVS Forum banner

681 - 697 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
You mean Brilliant Color?
No, just the Color Enhancer feature. I think I may not have asked correctly, What I meant is: I wonder if by enhancing color it also adds too much color to somewhat darker tones? For example a dark brown tone making it look too brown, and that sort of effect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello all. I was considering buying this projector refurbished. I then stumbled across a YouTube video talking about a bad power supply unit that was inherent in this model. Was this ever corrected? Should I steer clear of this model? I really need on of BenQs projectors in this arena because of the throw distance and lense combo is perfect for my setup.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
Hello all. I was considering buying this projector refurbished. I then stumbled across a YouTube video talking about a bad power supply unit that was inherent in this model. Was this ever corrected? Should I steer clear of this model? I really need on of BenQs projectors in this arena because of the throw distance and lense combo is perfect for my setup.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I’ve never heard of any power supply issues with this model. In either case BenQ warranties this model for 3 years although you may want to check your vendor to see if that applies to refurb.

Reactions: Manisfive

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi guys
Wanted to know if upgrading from a sony ubp x700 uhd player to a panasonic dp ub420 which has de option to optimize HDR down to 500 nits (i know the ub9000 has the hability to optmize HDR down to 350 nits but I cannot afford it at the moment) will improve my 120” significantly or just barely marginal?

Have you tried any of those with this projector?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Hi guys
Wanted to know if upgrading from a sony ubp x700 uhd player to a panasonic dp ub420 which has de option to optimize HDR down to 500 nits (i know the ub9000 has the hability to optmize HDR down to 350 nits but I cannot afford it at the moment) will improve my 120” significantly or just barely marginal?

I have both and use them regularly with my UHD50.

In general the HDR Optimizer, which allows for tuning the tone mapping, is considerably superior than tone mapping alone, which the X700 also does as it has a projector optimized tone map. The UB420 allows for an overall brighter image with no loss of dynamic range, and generally improved contrast since I can use typically gamma 2.4 with the UB420.

So far in my experience, 2001 is the only HDR UHD BD where the X700 consistently outperforms the UB420.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi guys

I have both and use them regularly with my UHD50.

In general the HDR Optimizer, which allows for tuning the tone mapping, is considerably superior than tone mapping alone, which the X700 also does as it has a projector optimized tone map. The UB420 allows for an overall brighter image with no loss of dynamic range, and generally improved contrast since I can use typically gamma 2.4 with the UB420.

So far in my experience, 2001 is the only HDR UHD BD where the X700 consistently outperforms the UB420.
Thank you for your response. So yeah, I forgot my x700 has the projector option and I have it at 120. I mean, no complains really in PQ but I wanted to know if the panasonic will be far superior. So I guess it could be on some movies but not all of them right? Would the purchase be worth?
BTW, I’️ve read a lot about the whole gama 2.4 thing. How does that work? Im only interested in using the player for 4K HDR discs and nothing more, as I do with my sony player

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Thank you for your response. So yeah, I forgot my x700 has the projector option and I have it at 120. I mean, no complains really in PQ but I wanted to know if the panasonic will be far superior. So I guess it could be on some movies but not all of them right? Would the purchase be worth?
BTW, I’️ve read a lot about the whole gama 2.4 thing. How does that work? Im only interested in using the player for 4K HDR discs and nothing more, as I do with my sony player
2001 was the only HDR BD where the X700 was better at tone mapping, out of maybe 30 different HDR BDs.

Using higher gamma generally results in a more contrasty image, with brighter highlights. The HDR Optimizer on the UB420 allows the use of higher gamma without blowing out highlights or deepening the shadows too much.

·
Registered
348 Posts
BTW, I’ve read a lot about the whole gama 2.4 thing. How does that work? Im only interested in using the player for 4K HDR discs and nothing more, as I do with my sony player
2001 was the only HDR BD where the X700 was better at tone mapping, out of maybe 30 different HDR BDs.

Using higher gamma generally results in a more contrasty image, with brighter highlights. The HDR Optimizer on the UB420 allows the use of higher gamma without blowing out highlights or deepening the shadows too much.
Thank you again. And how’s detail in those highlights and dark levels? I think detail is the main point of this whole fine tone mapping.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thank you again. And how’️s detail in those highlights and dark levels? I think detail is the main point of this whole fine tone mapping.
The HDR Optimizer doesn't increase the detail, but it makes it more visible due to a tuned tonemap.
Yeah, thats what I meant. I was watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on UHD HDR the other day, and I remember a couple of scenes where facial detail gets completely blown out due to intense highlights. I like to think those sort of things would be a bit corrected.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yeah, thats what I meant. I was watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on UHD HDR the other day, and I remember a couple of scenes where facial detail gets completely blown out due to intense highlights. I like to think those sort of things would be a bit corrected.
Yes, that's what the optimizer will do, as long as the data is actually present.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi guys. I’m using the Pannasonic ub420 (with the HDR optimizer) with my HT2550 projector. So, should I use HDR or HDR to SDR? I ask this because there seems to be some of you pretty convinced that this is the way to go for projectors with these Panny players. How does the whole BT2020 work? as you know the HT2550 has REC.709 as color profile base, with HDR mode it changes to BT2020 but if I understand correctly is just REC.709 remapped. HDR images on the projector are stunning, so I dont know. I'm a bit lost here.

How would I have to use HDR to SDR properly on the player? What sliders should I use then for calibration, the ones from the player or the projector? Last time I tried a couple of months ago, I didnt like it, it was too washed out, and no punch at all, but maybe I didnt know how to set up properly.

Thanks so much in advance for guidance

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Hi guys. I’m using the Pannasonic ub420 (with the HDR optimizer) with my HT2550 projector. So, should I use HDR or HDR to SDR? I ask this because there seems to be some of you pretty convinced that this is the way to go for projectors with these Panny players. How does the whole BT2020 work? as you know the HT2550 has REC.709 as color profile base, with HDR mode it changes to BT2020 but if I understand correctly is just REC.709 remapped. HDR images on the projector are stunning, so I dont know. I'm a bit lost here.

How would I have to use HDR to SDR properly on the player? What sliders should I use then for calibration, the ones from the player or the projector? Last time I tried a couple of months ago, I didnt like it, it was too washed out, and no punch at all, but maybe I didnt know how to set up properly.

Thanks so much in advance for guidance
There's a UB420 thread here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/3092076-panasonic-dp-ub420-4k-hdr10-non-dolby-vision-blu-ray-player-now-available.html

The 'Option" button on the lower left of the remote allows you to adjust HDR and SDR options.

Home -> setup -> player setting-> HDMI (page2) gives the HDR-SDR conversion settings.

On my UHD50 I generally prefer HDR BT2020 but occasionally HDR movies SDR BT2020 or SDR Rec709 seems best, so there's no clear answer except that it depends.

681 - 697 of 697 Posts