AVS Forum banner

1781 - 1800 of 1843 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I may have asked this before if so apologies. Getting an oppo uhd203 arriving soon. Also getting a Marantz sr7012 arriving next month. Every universal I ever had I connected the 7.1 analog for dvda/sacd which I have a lot of. I read somewhere else that I should just use the hdmi into receiver and be done with it. I know the oppo can be connected via the analogs but for ease of connections sake would I be missing a lot if I just use the hdmi into receiver(simplest) as opposed to hdmi into receiver and 7.1 analog.Asking for thoughts etc.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I may have asked this before if so apologies. Getting an oppo uhd203 arriving soon. Also getting a Marantz sr7012 arriving next month. Every universal I ever had I connected the 7.1 analog for dvda/sacd which I have a lot of. I read somewhere else that I should just use the hdmi into receiver and be done with it. I know the oppo can be connected via the analogs but for ease of connections sake would I be missing a lot if I just use the hdmi into receiver(simplest) as opposed to hdmi into receiver and 7.1 analog.Asking for thoughts etc.
Some people prefer the results when using the roomEQ software provided in the receiver.

Some people prefer the results when using the DACs of the player instead of the DACs in the receiver. The receiver's 7.1 analog inputs don't have ADCs, so the analog signals are (have to be) passed straight through to the output amps. However, neither bass management nor roomEQ nor 3D audio decoding can be applied to the receiver's 7.1 multichanel analog inputs. Oppos can provide bass management, but they can't do roomEQ and they can't decode Atmos or DTS:X.

Fortunately, though, you can connect both ways simultaneously and listen to both, deciding which you prefer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Legacy Naim Audiophile System: will it work with an Oppo blu ray player

I've got an older Naim system that's comprised of a NAC 52 preamp and 2 mono block 135 amps and I'm wondering
if it's a good idea to connect an Oppo 203/205 as the front end for music and A/V using the stereo outputs into the NAC 52 via RCA to DIN 5 cables.
If so, how would I setup the Oppo to give the best result? I'd be using this for A/V as well as music. I'm also wondering if the OPPO can simultaneously run the stereo outputs and a soundbar connected by HDMI.

Oppo's wrote me back with this answer concerning my preamp question:
"The player can be connected to a power amplifier directly but we generally do not recommend that you do this because the signal to noise floor and THD may be too high for your equipment." They didn't mention hooking up the OPPO to the preamp. As far as THD I kinda get that but what are they referring to with "signal to noise floor". Are they implying that the OPPO can't be connected to the preamp but if I bypass the preamp I can connect directly to the power amps with the proviso that THD and signal to noise floor stand a good chance of being an issue?

Anyone tried what I'm suggesting with good results?

Edit: Just got clarification from OPPO that "The player through a pre-amplifier will not be an issue. So we would recommend using a pre-amplifier."

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
lossless

I am using my br player to decode dts hd and dolby tru hd to pcm but plan on using an external dac for conversion to analog connected via coax - 2 channel only. Will the dac receive the lossless decoded to pcm of the lossy core? I know hdmi is required to transmit multi channel lossless - either bit stream or pcm. thanks

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I am using my br player to decode dts hd and dolby tru hd to pcm but plan on using an external dac for conversion to analog connected via coax - 2 channel only. Will the dac receive the lossless decoded to pcm of the lossy core? I know hdmi is required to transmit multi channel lossless - either bit stream or pcm. thanks
What part of the soundtrack encoding gets decoded by the DAC depends on the DAC's hardware and software design and the details of how you configure it.

Also, you'd need to know the details of the design of the DAC and associated analog circuits used in your receiver in order to find out if a standalone DAC could do any better.

Bear in mind that if you use any room EQ in your receiver (like Audyssey, MCACC or YPAO), then the receiver has to re-digitize the incoming analog audio, obviating any improvement that might have been provided by an external DAC. Also, most modern AVRs always digitize their stereo inputs regardless. Only their multichannel analog inputs avoid that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am not using an avr or receiver. all decoding will be done by the player - - and all the dac is doing is converting the decoded pcm signal to analog - the dac is running straight to my amplifier.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I am not using an avr or receiver. all decoding will be done by the player - - and all the dac is doing is converting the decoded pcm signal to analog - the dac is running straight to my amplifier.
Unless you have a high-end disc player (e.g. Oppo BDP-205), then the external DAC is likely to be better than whatever is provided in the disc player. Whether or not you actually could hear that difference depends on the quality of your hearing, speakers and room acoustics. You'll have to try it to find out.

·
Registered
266 Posts
agreed and my dac is even better than the 205s. Q is if I run cox to the dac whether it will transmit the decoded 2 channel lossless track or downconvert to the lossy core. the br player manual while not crystal clear appears to indicate if 2 channel yes but if 5.1 or 7.1 no - you need to use hdmi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone, pls if someone could help me,
Ive this setup:
UHD BD Panasonic ub420, HDMI 2.0 output (audio+video, not using 2nd HDMI only for audio) to new soundbar Samsung HW-N950 (can decode everything including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) - using HQ HDMI 18 gbps cabels, there is no problem, tested. In HDMI/sound menu in ub420 set everything to BITSTREAM (dolby, dts and mpeg audio)

- when played original UHD BD movie, there is no problem, every format is send and decoded in N950 (included DA and DTS:X)
- when played from usb 3.0 HDD there is mess - DA and DTS:X demo file not working, half of movie played with no sound, some played with narrow canal stream (check in info window), with some soundtrack ub420 report it couldnt decode, cannot played! - I thing it doesnt decode anything, only send uncompressed bitstream through HDMI?!!! (somewhere I read that soundtrack playback from HDD is problem, why?)

-when played in Kodi with passthrough set on, every movie / soundtrack on HDD played / send well to N950...

Im crazy about it, Ive ub420 with great picture (connect to JVC RS540) 4K/60 4:4:4 even with 24/25p automatic switch but without proper sound from HDD movie and NVIDIA shield with Kodi with perfect working sound passtrough but with low picture quality and problematic 24/25p switch...

I will be happy for any ideas
regards
Ondrej

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Hello everyone, pls if someone could help me,
Ive this setup:
UHD BD Panasonic ub420, HDMI 2.0 output (audio+video, not using 2nd HDMI only for audio) to new soundbar Samsung HW-N950 (can decode everything including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) - using HQ HDMI 18 gbps cabels, there is no problem, tested. In HDMI/sound menu in ub420 set everything to BITSTREAM (dolby, dts and mpeg audio)

- when played original UHD BD movie, there is no problem, every format is send and decoded in N950 (included DA and DTS:X)
- when played from usb 3.0 HDD there is mess - DA and DTS:X demo file not working, half of movie played with no sound, some played with narrow canal stream (check in info window), with some soundtrack ub420 report it couldnt decode, cannot played! - I thing it doesnt decode anything, only send uncompressed bitstream through HDMI?!!! (somewhere I read that soundtrack playback from HDD is problem, why?)

-when played in Kodi with passthrough set on, every movie / soundtrack on HDD played / send well to N950...

Im crazy about it, Ive ub420 with great picture (connect to JVC RS540) 4K/60 4:4:4 even with 24/25p automatic switch but without proper sound from HDD movie and NVIDIA shield with Kodi with perfect working sound passtrough but with low picture quality and problematic 24/25p switch...

I will be happy for any ideas
regards
Ondrej

This thread is for asking for help in choosing an appropriate 1080p HD Blu-ray player.
Choosing 4k UHD Blu-ray players is discussed in the thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2482833-official-help-me-choose-uhd-player-thread.html

I don't see an AVS thread for the DP-UB420 (it does not seem to be available in the U.S.) so you might consider asking on the AVForum or creating a new thread in the AVS Blu-ray player subforum at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/ to ask for help with yours.

That said, the first thing to do is to make sure the DP-UB420's firmware is up to date.

Also, you must use the USB port on the back of the player. The front USB port works only for USB 2.0 devices.

Your symptoms are consistent with a defect in the firmware of your DP-UB420, in its USB 3.0 interface or in your USB disk. You should consider contacting Panasonic about it. It's a brand new player and is likely to have bugs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Changed my Blu-Ray player

It's been a long time since I've posted but I have a question.
I initially set up my movie room with a Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray player running into an Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR with a 7.1 surround system, using an Optoma PJ. I recently replaced my Blu-Ray player with a Sony BDP-S3700 due to the S360 taking for-ev-er to load a movie and replaced my PJ with a BenQ. I did not change anything else in the set up and I have the S3700 set to PCM out for the audio although I believe the AVR decodes the audio input as well.

My problem is that I've really noticed a difference in the audio when watching a movie. The bass isn't as deep and full with the S3700 and the audio overall sounds a bit depressed (lower).
Would there be that much of a difference in audio between the Blu-Ray players? Would I need to go into the AVR settings and make adjustments for the S3700?
I'm not a real big audio guy but I don't want to miss a better listening experience if it's available.
Thanks for the help.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,473 Posts
I initially set up my movie room with a Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray player running into an Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR with a 7.1 surround system, using an Optoma PJ. I recently replaced my Blu-Ray player with a Sony BDP-S3700 due to the S360 taking for-ev-er to load a movie and replaced my PJ with a BenQ. I did not change anything else in the set up and I have the S3700 set to PCM out for the audio although I believe the AVR decodes the audio input as well.

My problem is that I've really noticed a difference in the audio when watching a movie. The bass isn't as deep and full with the S3700 and the audio overall sounds a bit depressed (lower).
Would there be that much of a difference in audio between the Blu-Ray players? Would I need to go into the AVR settings and make adjustments for the S3700?
I'm not a real big audio guy but I don't want to miss a better listening experience if it's available.
Thanks for the help.
You'll probably get more practical help if you ask in the owner's thread here for your new player model. However the first things to check would be to make sure the player doesn't have Blu-ray "audio mixing" or "secondary audio" enabled, and that you don't have "dynamic range compression" enabled. The actual names for such settings in your player will be specific to the player model.

It would also be useful to check your speaker levels while playing an audio calibration disc to make sure, for example, that your Subwoofer level is still set correctly compared to the main speakers.
--Bob

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
I initially set up my movie room with a Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray player running into an Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR with a 7.1 surround system, using an Optoma PJ. I recently replaced my Blu-Ray player with a Sony BDP-S3700 ...
You should set the player's Digital Audio Output to Auto rather than PCM and turn BD Audio Mix Off. Would be a good idea to also change Downmix to Surround. The default settings aren't optimal for a modern AVR like yours.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I initially set up my movie room with a Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray player running into an Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR with a 7.1 surround system, using an Optoma PJ. I recently replaced my Blu-Ray player with a Sony BDP-S3700 due to the S360 taking for-ev-er to load a movie and replaced my PJ with a BenQ. I did not change anything else in the set up and I have the S3700 set to PCM out for the audio
This last probably is the problem. Verify what audio format is being sent to the receiver by pressing on the "Info" button on the receiver's remote. It'll show the type of audio (in text) and the number of audio channels (in the graphic at lower left on the screen) that the Blu-ray player is sending. I suspect that it's sending stereo (2.0) PCM.

To fix this, you need to configure the Sony Blu-ray player so it "bitstreams" multichannel audio:
set "Digital Audio Output" to Auto (the default; it must not be set to PCM)
set "BD Audio Mix Setting" to Off (NOT the default; it must not be set to On. When it's On, soundtracks are decoded to stereo PCM)
although I believe the AVR decodes the audio input as well.
The AVR will automatically decode whatever encoding format it's sent.
Would there be that much of a difference in audio between the Blu-Ray players?
Yes.

The quality of the sound primarily is determined by settings in the player.

Older Sony Blu-ray players could decode Dolby and DTS into multichannel (up to 7.1) PCM.
Modern Sony Blu-ray players can decode only into stereo (2.0) PCM. They're penny-pinching on the licensing costs of the decoders from Dolby and DTS.

As a result, the player downconverts multichannel audio into stereo, using some form of matrixing to try to provide surround-sound. Then the receiver has to use an up-mixer (Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X) to expand the stereo so it makes use of all of your speakers. As a result, the LFE channel is lost and other damage is done to the audio, too.
Would I need to go into the AVR settings and make adjustments for the S3700?
Not in the AVR. Rather, you need to change settings in the Blu-ray player. See above.
Thanks for the help.
A better experience is indeed available, assuming your AVR is being sent stereo PCM.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies... I made some adjustments and have the player set to the recommendations above;
Digital Audio Out -> Auto
DSD Audio Mode -> Auto (Not sure what this accomplishes)
BD Audio MIX Setting -> Off
Dolby D Compatible Mode -> Off
Audio DRC -> Off
Downmix -> Surround

I still feel like I'm missing some bass, I have not checked any speaker levels yet, don't have a cal disk.
The AVR shows Dolby D, 5.1 Ch

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies... I made some adjustments and have the player set to the recommendations above;
Digital Audio Out -> Auto
DSD Audio Mode -> Auto (Not sure what this accomplishes)
It's for when you play SACD audio discs. It'll automatically convert their DSD soundtracks to PCM if your receiver can't decode DSD on its own.
BD Audio MIX Setting -> Off
Dolby D Compatible Mode -> Off
Audio DRC -> Off
Downmix -> Surround

I still feel like I'm missing some bass, I have not checked any speaker levels yet, don't have a cal disk.
Some calibration soundtracks are available for downloading. You could put them on a USB thumb drive (formatted FAT16) and play them through the Blu-ray player.
See, for example, https://www.genelec.com/audio-test-signals
There are many others available.

Showing DD means that bitstreaming is working now.

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies... I made some adjustments and have the player set to the recommendations above...
Maybe your old player had Audio DRC turned On, hence louder than your new player resulting in more bass. You could turn that back on and see if it changes anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maybe your old player had Audio DRC turned On, hence louder than your new player resulting in more bass. You could turn that back on and see if it changes anything.

That's one setting I had as 'On" when I first set up the player. Maybe it'll just take some fiddling around.

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As an update,,,, I did some troubleshooting to go along with the BD player setup adjustments and it appears I have a bad cable going to my sub. It's in the wall so I have a temporary cable running through the room from the AVR to my sub until I can get it replaced.
Movies sound much better now, still need some adjustments but much better.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
As an update,,,, I did some troubleshooting to go along with the BD player setup adjustments and it appears I have a bad cable going to my sub. It's in the wall so I have a temporary cable running through the room from the AVR to my sub until I can get it replaced.
Movies sound much better now, still need some adjustments but much better.
Thanks.
Yep, "in the wall" always requires very good cable.

1781 - 1800 of 1843 Posts