AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 1843 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
^ You did good.

Secondary Audio is a “feature” of the Blu-ray spec. It allows the studios to include a separate Stereo audio track which plays along with your choice of feature audio. It is used for menu sound effects (beep when you click on an on screen button) and SOME Commentary tracks which are typically authored as Picture-in-Picture: See a small window pop up with Commentary video while watching the feature.

MOST Commentary tracks do not use this. They are authored as an entirely separate feature track which plays instead of the normal feature audio and usually includes some feature audio baked in whenever the Commenters shut up.

Only the player knows about Blu-ray Secondary Audio; your AVR or TV has no clue about it. So to hear Secondary Audio you must let the player “mix” the Stereo Secondary Audio track (e.g., button beeps) with whatever normal, feature audio (e.g., menu background music) is already playing. The mixed combo becomes the one and only audio the player sends out.

Now, when the feature audio track is a Bitstream like DTS or DD, that mixing can’t happen until the player first decodes the bitstream audio format into its component, LPCM digital audio streams — one per speaker channel. And if you have told the player to output Bitstream audio the result, AFTER mixing in the Stereo Secondary Audio, has to be re-encoded BACK into a Bitstream for output.

Some players will always produce a DD bitstream when doing the re-encode, even if the original feature audio was DTS.

By enabling audio Mixing, you’ve told the player it is OK to do this!

But it gets worse! If the feature audio is a “lossless” Bitstream track — Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA — the Bitstream created for output after the mixing will be LOSSY DD. And DD 5.1 even if the original track was 7.1. Why? Because no player has the horsepower to create a Lossless Bitstream on the fly like this.

So the Rule of Thumb when using HDMI Bitstream audio output is to turn Secondary Audio Mixing OFF! Only turn it on if you really need to hear Secondary Audio — such as when you’ve selected one of those Picture-in-Picture Commentaries.

So why did DTS work on SOME of your discs? Because not all discs include Secondary Audio. For such discs, mixing can’t ever happen and so the player leaves the original DTS Bitstream unmolested.

But for discs that DO include Secondary Audio — ANYWHERE on the disc — the rules of Blu-ray playback require the processing for mixing to happen EVEN IF you’ve not selected to play a disc feature (such as a Commentary) which actually uses Secondary Audio.

Again: Leave Mixing disabled when using Bitstream audio output except when you decide to play an on-disc extra which requires it.
—Bob
that all makes sense, I guess. But why did the DTS track show up on the receiver as Dolby Digital when the player was set to Mix Audio Output ? It was my understanding that if it was set to Mix Audio Output and there was no secondary audio, the hd track would be played.

My player is set up by both digital cable for audio and HDMI. When played through the digital cable, the core DTS or Dolby Digital tracks are played. If played through HDMI, the Dolby TruHD or DTS HD Master Audio tracks are played.

Also, if I want to hear the DTS HD Master Audio, do I bitstream or PCM ?

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
No. If you have secondary audio on, it will only output lossy DD and DTS. It would really help if we knew which Blu-ray player you are using. Sounds like a Samsung if you are re-encoding to DTS.

S~

·
Read the FAQ!
35,468 Posts
^^ Your player thinks there is Secondary Audio somewhere on the disc (even if you are not telling it to play the Secondary Audio). So the Bitstream gets decoded and re-encoded because you have Mixing enabled.

With Mixing off, you can play DTS-HD MA either as Bitstream or LPCM. The Bitstream has to be decoded into LPCM at some point. If you set the player to output LPCM then the player does it. If you set the player to output Bitstream on HDMI, then the AVR does it.
—Bob

·
Registered
126 Posts
No. If you have secondary audio on, it will only output lossy DD and DTS. It would really help if we knew which Blu-ray player you are using. Sounds like a Samsung if you are re-encoding to DTS.

S~
my player is an old magnavox nb500MG9. If I run the audio through HDMI, it will play, and show on the display, DTS HD or TrueHD Dolby. If I run the audio through digital coax, it will just be plain DTS or Dolby 5.1.

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
my player is an old magnavox nb500MG9. If I run the audio through HDMI, it will play, and show on the display, DTS HD or TrueHD Dolby. If I run the audio through digital coax, it will just be plain DTS or Dolby 5.1.
t=That is how it is supposed to work. Coax and optical do not support lossless audio (TrueHD and DTS MA) only lossy DD and DTS and 2 channel PCM. You have to use HDMI for lossless audio.

S~

·
Registered
15 Posts
From what it seems, Sony UBP-X800M2 blu ray player can't play or bitstream Atmos tracks contained in mkv files.
For this reason, I'm considering returning it to get a Panasonic DP-UB820.
Would the Panasonic be able to pass through Dolby Atmos tracks contained in mkv files?

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
From what it seems, Sony UBP-X800M2 blu ray player can't play or bitstream Atmos tracks contained in mkv files.
For this reason, I'm considering returning it to get a Panasonic DP-UB820.
Would the Panasonic be able to pass through Dolby Atmos tracks contained in mkv files?
No. The only players able to play TrueHD in mkv container are the Oppo and the CA (both discontinued). Pioneer 500 might. For the X800M2 your files must be in m2ts format. This is discussed in the owner's thread ad nauseum.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
My Samsung 8500 plays Atmos from my NAS without a problem 95% of the time. Picked it up on eBay for $50 last year, best $50 I've spent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
UB9000 audio question

The UB9000 has 2 HDMI outputs. One does audio/video, the other audio only. I tried connecting the audio/video directly to my TV and the audio only one to my receiver. I figured this would give the most direct video signal (ie bypassing the receiver) but I could still have the surround sound audio to my receiver. However, hooked up this way, I get no sound sent to the receiver via the audio only HDMI. I do get video and audio (via the TV speakers) via the hdmi audio/video. Is there some setting I have to change?

·
Registered
117 Posts
So special audio dacs in 4k Blu ray players help in Movies or just music?

Do the special audio DACS in UHD BluRay players help with movie audio or are the DACs specifically for audio physical media (music)?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The DACs are there to convert any digital signal to analog audio output. Most cheaper UHD players are dropping analog output and only providing hdmi, they have no DAC. Some are retaining full 7.1 analog out, Panasonic. Some provide two channel analog output (pioneer, Sony X1100es). All these players will have DACS. It's up to the user whether they are for music or movies.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The DACs are there to convert any digital signal to analog audio output. Most cheaper UHD players are dropping analog output and only providing hdmi, they have no DAC. Some are retaining full 7.1 analog out, Panasonic. Some provide two channel analog output (pioneer, Sony X1100es). All these players will have DACS. It's up to the user whether they are for music or movies.
Thanks for the explanation Glangford. I'm still not fully understanding though. As I understand it, isn't HDMI passing digital audio data that needs to be converted to analog for me to hear it as movie audio? Thus a DAC is used in every case?

Assume a UHD BR player that has special audio DACs like the Panasonic UB9000...

If I use an HDMI cable from my UHD BR player --> into my AVR --> which go into my speakers, will I be benefitting and experience enhance audio for my movies because of the built-in audio DACs?

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Question. I gave my son my Samsung n950 Dolby Atmos soundbar. Her has an older Sony bdp s570 will the player passt atmos or dtsx over bitstream to the soundbar to decode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Samsung UBD-K8500 that won't pass lossless audio onto my receiver for some file (codec?) formats like TrueHD when streaming files over DLNA. I'm running the latest firmware, but from what I have learned from searching, maybe this player does not support it.

I'm ready to cut my losses and buy a new player, but I'm finding very little info on what new players, would support HD audio lossess streaming to my AVR over DLNA!

I plan to buy the DP-UB420 to try and see if that will fix my issue, can anyone confirm it works for what I'm trying to do, or is there a better device out there? Maybe Apple tv 4k using the VLC app, or a different player? I know Firesticks do not support HD audio period.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I have a Samsung UBD-K8500 that won't pass lossless audio onto my receiver for some file (codec?) formats like TrueHD when streaming files over DLNA. I'm running the latest firmware, but from what I have learned from searching, maybe this player does not support it.

I'm ready to cut my losses and buy a new player, but I'm finding very little info on what new players, would support HD audio lossess streaming to my AVR over DLNA!

I plan to buy the DP-UB420 to try and see if that will fix my issue, can anyone confirm it works for what I'm trying to do, or is there a better device out there? Maybe Apple tv 4k using the VLC app, or a different player? I know Firesticks do not support HD audio period.

Thank you for any help.

Unfortunately, most players do not support lossless audio via streaming/USB port/whatever--only lossy (like Dolby Digital). For that reason, I pretty much stick to audio playing/streaming via the USB port (and find it quite convenient).

FWIW, I dumped my Samsung 8500 a long time ago for a Panasonic UB-900 (long since discontinued), but I highly recommend any of the newer Panasonic UHD players.

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
If you want to stream your files, get a dedicated streaming device like the Shield, etc. BD players are not going to do it, especially a Panasonic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Should a 4k Blu-ray player that has 2 HDMI outs 1 audio 1 video be connected to a TV first and audio to a receiver. Would that be the best?
would it be better to go through the receiver first then the TV..

Thanks JD

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
Should a 4k Blu-ray player that has 2 HDMI outs 1 audio 1 video be connected to a TV first and audio to a receiver. Would that be the best?
would it be better to go through the receiver first then the TV..

Thanks JD
Only reason to use both is if your AVR doesn't pass 4K. If it does, just use 1.

1821 - 1840 of 1843 Posts