AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1977 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
1.1.14 had a remaining bug on sharpness. When watching UHD content (streaming), sharpening would be applied even when Sharpness was set to 0. The work-around was to increase Sharpness to 1and then return to 0 after starting the content.

In theory, fixing that remaining bug was the primary change being worked on, so nothing much of anything else should have changed.

We are still awaiting confirmation that the UHD sharpness bug is fixed by 1.1.19...
I hope it hasn't messed with the settings on the set's, I can't say I've seen a difference to be honest.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I checked on the .19 update. Here's the chat transcript.

Me: Is there a change log for the firmware updates to the p-series UHD TVs?
Just a moment...
Gabby: Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class U.S. based support. Have you contacted Vizio in the past?
Me: No.
Gabby: To better assist you, may I please have the serial number of your VIZIO product, the name of the store you bought it from, the approximate date of purchase, phone number, and your first and last name?
Me: Not at home so I don't have the Ser#. P702ui-B3 purchased from Sam's Club appox. 1 month ago.
Gabby: Ok thanks. I understand that you are wanting to know what the firmware updates will address?
Me: Yes and a change log of the previous updates if possible.
Gabby: I am sorry but we do not have a change log of previous updates. The only thing we can tell you is what the new updates would address.
Me: fine, that'll do for now.
Gabby: Do you know the firmware that your TV currently has?
Me: 1.1.19
Gabby: Any issue related to sharpness not retaining its setting after powering off the TV and color on HDMI 5 and Vivid color setting changing after power off.
Me: Thanks.
Gabby: You're welcome! Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Case:5538866
Me: Nope. Bye.

Look like with some diligence we could build some sort of change log going forward.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,023
@fafrd I'm waiting to get my equipment back from a friend. Once I do it is all yours!! Also if he is correct and the color for HdMI 5 is set to math everything else I will be a happy man. If you don't mind when you get it run that test first since it should be quick and easy. It doesn't sound like we will have to recalibrate with the update though so that's good!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,025
Looks like I'll need to break out the meter to compare HDMI 1-4 to HDMI 5 again then. Hopefully they match now. :)
Very interested in your results. I don't have my meter right now (nor do I have the update) so will be very excited if they match since I use hdmi 5 for everything.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
I checked on the .19 update. Here's the chat transcript.

Me: Is there a change log for the firmware updates to the p-series UHD TVs?
Just a moment...
Gabby: Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class U.S. based support. Have you contacted Vizio in the past?
Me: No.
Gabby: To better assist you, may I please have the serial number of your VIZIO product, the name of the store you bought it from, the approximate date of purchase, phone number, and your first and last name?
Me: Not at home so I don't have the Ser#. P702ui-B3 purchased from Sam's Club appox. 1 month ago.
Gabby: Ok thanks. I understand that you are wanting to know what the firmware updates will address?
Me: Yes and a change log of the previous updates if possible.
Gabby: I am sorry but we do not have a change log of previous updates. The only thing we can tell you is what the new updates would address.
Me: fine, that'll do for now.
Gabby: Do you know the firmware that your TV currently has?
Me: 1.1.19
Gabby: Any issue related to sharpness not retaining its setting after powering off the TV and color on HDMI 5 and Vivid color setting changing after power off.
Me: Thanks.
Gabby: You're welcome! Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Case:5538866
Me: Nope. Bye.

Look like with some diligence we could build some sort of change log going forward.
OK, so if this is the source of the 'rumor' regarding coor gamut of HDMI5 being changed to match color gamut of HDMI 1-4, that is not what Gabby is stating.

She is referring to 'color on HDMI 5 changing after power off (which is a bug that has been reported, or more generally, various calibration setting being lost after power off).

Among other things, if they changed the color gamut of HDMI5, it would invalidate any calibrations of HDMI5 (that had already been paid for), which goes against Vizio's stated objectives.

So good to check, but I suspect we are stuck with the 'HDMI5-versus-HDMI1-4 color gamut mismatch for the duration...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,027
OK, so if this is the source of the 'rumor' regarding coor gamut of HDMI5 being changed to match color gamut of HDMI 1-4, that is not what Gabby is stating.

She is referring to 'color on HDMI 5 changing after power off (which is a bug that has been reported, or more generally, various calibration setting being lost after power off).

Among other things, if they changed the color gamut of HDMI5, it would invalidate any calibrations of HDMI5 (that had already been paid for), which goes against Vizio's stated objectives.

So good to check, but I suspect we are stuck with the 'HDMI5-versus-HDMI1-4 color gamut mismatch for the duration...
I would assume most calibrations would be done on 1-4 but yes you are right. If that is really all that is changed then I am much less excited about the update. Way to burst my bubble haha ;)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Yeah I was a bit torn on if it meant HDMI 5 should now be color-matched to 1-4 or if it was just a bug similar to or the same as the sharpness issue that had been noted in 1.1.14. My guess is probably actually the latter since that matches up better with the vague-ish changelog but we'll see once I take a couple measurements.

If it really is just the latter, my guess is the issue in 1.1.14 was really that the sharpness and color issues were probably the only ones people noticed and what was really going on was the basic color settings (including contrast, brightness, etc.) also used OOTB defaults but since those are 'correct' to be begin with that no one noticed anything going awry there. :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah I was a bit torn on if it meant HDMI 5 should now be color-matched to 1-4 or if it was just a bug similar to or the same as the sharpness issue that had been noted in 1.1.14. My guess is probably actually the latter since that matches up better with the vague-ish changelog but we'll see once I take a couple measurements.

If it really is just the latter, my guess is the issue in 1.1.14 was really that the sharpness and color issues were probably the only ones people noticed and what was really going on was the basic color settings (including contrast, brightness, etc.) also used OOTB defaults but since those are 'correct' to be begin with that no one noticed anything going awry there. :p
Guess you really can't expect clarity from a chat bot.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts

Yeah, I had the issue a couple of times with some settings mysteriously changing, but between inputs, and sources, and picture setting and color temp, I never really went to the trouble of writing it all down and checking whether it was repeatable or not - just moved the setting back to where it was supposed to be and moved on.

That was with my original 1.0.1.4 FW and since getting 1.1.14 I can't say I can remember any similar instances.

But it's very likely there were some remaining bugs resulting in some settings (and perhaps Color Temperature setting in Vivid Mode in particular) getting changed back to default values following power-off, and Vizio is mopping up all those remaining issues that have been identified along with fixing the UHD sharpness bug.

Just checked and I now have 1.1.19 as well...

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have the 65 inch P Series and also just got the update today. I just went to service check and shut tv off for 10 min. It does fix the sharpness bug but the brightness and contrast still clip with calibration disc........hopefully they fix that also.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I have the 65 inch P Series and also just got the update today. I just went to service check and shut tv off for 10 min. It does fix the sharpness bug but the brightness and contrast still clip with calibration disc........hopefully they fix that also.
I agree. Vizio really needs to add an user option that can be set to allow either the limited (16-235) or full (0-255) video range to be passed thru the HDMI ports and video processing. Some TVs do not pass 0-16 levels but still offer a user setting called 'super white,' or something along these lines, that when turned on will extend the levels up to 255 even if levels 0-15 are not passed. I feel this feature is really important since some recorded video does allow for whiter-than-white (i.e., above 235) to be included and TVs such as these Vizos will clip these info and you can't calibrate it to do otherwise. Of course there is also the situation when you want to connect the Vizio to a PC where the computer video levels are supposed to be 0 to 255 with reference black being level 0 and reference white level 255.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
In this thread you will find a guided solution to how to properly calibrate the vizio P series tvs. In an effort to keep things clean and tidy please limit all talk to calibration information only. When posting the calibration workflow it would be really helpful if you identify which tv you are calibrating. Also I am going to reserve a few spots on the first page to link all of the calibration workflows such that they are easy to find.

If you have come across this thread by mistake and are looking for technical questions about the P series and not calibration help please refer to the link to the P series thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...icial-2014-vizio-p-series-owner-s-thread.html
Vizio p652ui-b2 - v1.0.0
*Updated to FW 1.1.14, Color Checker still came back 1.45 with these settings. I may tweak at some point but since the difference is so minimal it won't be today!

I'm not sure how transferable they are; I tried settings posted by others here and wound up with very different Calman5 charts. The CNET settings for example were terrible on my set.

However, I will post them just the same!

As pointed out by other users there is a bug that changes the local dimming scheme if you save your Calibrated Dark profile under another name. With the v1.1.14 fw it is even worse, DO NOT RENAME YOUR calibrated dark profile!

Note, I calibrated with Active LED Zones (local dimming) off with this calibration because previous calibration seemed to have inconsistent sampling with it on. I enabled it afterward. Also, I displayed the sample image of the "blush girl" used by others earlier in this thread on both the p65 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 OLED set to "Basic" color as another reference.

Auto Brightness Control = Off
Backlight = 22 (Use what works for your lighting conditions!)
Brightness = 48
Contrast = 51
Color = 45
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 0

Color Temp = Normal
Active LED Zones = On (Enable after you finish calibration, these settings came back with a deltaE of .7 on the Calman5 greyscale sweep WITH local dimming!)

Black Detail = Off (I charted Gamma w\ this on & off, off = "---", on = "-\_", no good!)

Smooth Motion Effect = Off (Soap Opera Effect Generator)

Clear Action = Off (Backlight scanning, if you experience a darkened rectangle on the right half of the screen, turning this feature on may alleviate that bug! Note this bug appears to have been resolved in fw v1.1.14)

Reduce Signal Noise = Off
Game Low Latency = On (There is a bug that causes a strip at the top of the screen to become corrupted when switching between inputs with Game Mode on, simply toggling it off by changing your video mode to another and then back will resolve it.)

Gamma = 2.4

Color Tuner
Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
Hue = 0, 0, -18, 0, 2, -2
Saturation = 0, 0, 14, 0, 8, 7
Brightness = 8, 10, 20, 5, 6, -1
Offset = -1, 0, 2
Gain = -3, -6, -1

11 Point White Balance
Gain = Red, Green, Blue
5% = -2, -2, -2
10% = 23, 19, 6
20% = 26, 21, 2
30% = 27, 25, 14
40% = 23, 27, 13
50% = 20, 26, 10
60% = 10, 18, 2
70% = 8, 20, 2
80% = 0, 18, 1
90% = -10, 10, -2
100% = -16, 12, -4
Thank you! I also have the 65inch and I found your color settings to be spot on with my set........below delta e of 3 at least. I used your color settings but ended up using my own greyscale settings with Calman and I1 Display Pro. I kept contrast and brightness at their default of 50 and cell light at 46 with ALZ on. I calibrated with ALZ on for everything and used equal energy patterns from s&m 2nd edition. I actually found that 2.2 gamma made for only really adjusting gain and offset with pt 20 being the only step above delta e of 3 (which was fixed with calibration). Thank you for helping me with dialing in color!

Here are my settings
P652UI-B2 only: (Firmware 1.1.19)

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Calibrated Dark*
Auto Brightness Control: Off
Backlight: 46
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Color temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Clear Motion: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Game Low Latency: Off
Picture Size & Position: [no change]
Film Mode: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

---Picture Mode Management submenu---
Color Tuner:
Red [Hue, Saturation, Brightness]: 0, 0, 3
Green: 0, 0, 11
Blue: -18, 14, 17
Cyan: 0, 0, 6
Magenta: 1, 8, 3
Yellow: -2, 7, -1

Red offset: -1
Red gain: -7
Green offset: 0
Green Gain: 0
Blue offset: -7
Blue gain: -11

11-point white balance:
[Gain amounts for red, green and blue]
5%: 0, 0, 0
10%: 0, 0, 0
20%: 10, 10, 10
30%: 0, 0, 0
40%: 0, 0, 0
50%: 0, 0, 0
60%: 0, 0, 0
70%: 0, 0, 0
80%: 0, 0, 0
90%: 0, 0, 0
100%: 0, 0, 0

With these settings the picture looks stunning! Deserts in 4k is amazing and no more sharpness bug!

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Nothing urgent, but I'm getting forum members questioning my black-level measurements off of my P70 and wonder whether those of you with a meter might make similar measurements to assure what I am seeing is accurate and repeatable across sets.

When I measure ANSI contrast pattern, I'm getting whites of 100 cd/m2 and blacks of 0.015 cd/m2, so contrast ratio of ~6500:1 (which should be the native contrast ratio of the VA LCD panel).

When watching Gravity and measuring black letterbox bars, I get:

0.007 cd/m2 for the brightest scenes (so backlight in the letterbox zones at 1/2 of max)

0.004 cd/m2 for the average brightness scene (so backlight in the letterbox bars at 1/4 of max)

0.002 cd/m2 for the dim/dark scenes (so backlight in the letterbox bars at 1/8th of max)

0.001 cd/m2 for the darkest of scenes (black space) -so backlight in the letterbox bars at 1/16th of max.

Within-scene, the best measurement I got from Gravity was a white highlight at 80 cd/m2 (so 80 % of peak) with areas of black space measuring 0.002 cd/m2 (so within-scene effective contrast ratios of 40,000:1).

These are darned good black levels for an LED/LCD (plasma-like) and I thought Buzz767 had reported similar ANSI contrast measurements from his P60, but if any of you guys with a meter and a good dark widescreen movie like Gravity or TRON II wants to spend some time seeing if you get similar results, that would be fantastic.

All of the above measurements were from my P70, so it would also be great to confirm similar results on the P60 and P65 (especially since CNET reviewed the P65 and reported black levels more than 2X worse than what I meadured).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it me or does the picture seem more grainy after the update? Seems like I had a smoother picture on the on 1.1.14. Although I've only been watching TV, have not tried a Blu Ray. Anybody else?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi everyone, new to the forums - thanks for the ton of information here, and especially for the links to the calibration settings.

I just picked up a P60 (open box - perfect condition) from Best Buy yesterday and a Vizio 2.1 soundbar (nib) for $1000 total after some negotiating with the GM and love it! After reading through the forums, am I correct that I can use other users calibration settings but should leave the 11pt white adjustment default because it's too device specific? Also, would I be safe at trying some of the posted P70 calibrations? Thanks much.

1021 - 1040 of 1977 Posts