AVS Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1977 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,282 (Edited)
The CIE diagram below has the primary/secondary and color checker points on it - unless I misunderstood what you mean

It does you are correct but what I am looking for is the CiEcharts that shows the saturation sweep points for all primary and secondary. Showing only one point doesn't provide me with the entire picture to tell you if your results are what is to be expected.

Edit: like this...

Well not exactly since that is taken from calman but you get the hint ;)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Grey scale difference you are correct. That even holds true for 99% of color measurements but skin tone do not look proper to me until I tweaked by eye and once tweaked by eye the DE was below 0.5 previously it was 2.5. So yes I can tell a difference but yes for something like greyscale I couldn't tell at all.
Interesting. I had the opposite experience last week. 75/75 Red was about .5dE and bad flesh tones. A small Hue change corrected the flesh tone and increased the dE to about 2.5. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.....

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Thank you for the nutshell. It makes sense now.

So, depending what I'm watching, can I turn it on and off?
Good idea to learn to QUOTE so your post has some context (your lucky I had time to check the thread today and remembered my recent response to you :).

Yes, you can turn on CA and SME only when watching fast action OTA a sports and leave them off when watching 24fps Blurays.

You can also use one of the viewing modes such as Game or Vivid to pre-establish your preferred setting for OTA sports. This makes it easier for other family members to use by selecting with the PIC button on the remote...

Obviously, when CA is switched ON, Backlight also needs to be adjusted to compensate for the change in brightness...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good idea to learn to QUOTE so your post has some context (your lucky I had time to check the thread today and remembered my recent response to you :).

Yes, you can turn on CA and SME only when watching fast action OTA a sports and leave them off when watching 24fps Blurays.

You can also use one of the viewing modes such as Game or Vivid to pre-establish your preferred setting for OTA sports. This makes it easier for other family members to use by selecting with the PIC button on the remote...

Obviously, when CA is switched ON, Backlight also needs to be adjusted to compensate for the change in brightness...
I'm learning a lot from you guys. Thank you. Last night, I was watching basketball on Directv and saw what you mean by CA. There weren't a lot of difference, maybe because of the compression from Directv. I also tried SME on sitcoms and it was too distracting.

Other than watching sports on OTA, is CA really needed?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Question on manipulating light skin values with HCFR and GCD disk:

In trying to lower my dE of light skin which was at 2.1. I ran color checker again and then switched to my CIE Diagram tab and selected active measure. I then changed some of the Hue, Sat and Brightness on Red to bring it inline for x & y values. I then ran color checker again and x & y were spot on, but I had a dE of 1.6 and a luminance of -5.8%. So how in the world do I adjust that luminance which I'm guessing would lower that dE? The CIE diagram doesn't have any way to measure luminance...Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,804 Posts

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
I'm learning a lot from you guys. Thank you. Last night, I was watching basketball on Directv and saw what you mean by CA. There weren't a lot of difference, maybe because of the compression from Directv. I also tried SME on sitcoms and it was too distracting.

Not by me. I only use it in conjunction with SME to reduce motion blur when watching fast-action OTA sports...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hey guys, I've seen some of you have calibrated the P70 with BT.1886 for night time viewing. How do I setup HCFR for BT.1886 gamma if the P70 does NOT have a BT.1886 gamma option?

If I select BT.1886 in HCFR, it will obviously show that curved gamma tracking but the TV will track in a straight line.

I'm confused as to how you guys accomplish this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Hey guys, I've seen some of you have calibrated the P70 with BT.1886 for night time viewing. How do I setup HCFR for BT.1886 gamma if the P70 does NOT have a BT.1886 gamma option?

If I select BT.1886 in HCFR, it will obviously show that curved gamma tracking but the TV will track in a straight line.

I'm confused as to how you guys accomplish this.

You use the 11-pt setting to 'force-in' a different gamma curve. This generally means adjusting green up or down depending on whether you are attempting to increase or decrease luminance at a specific IRE, and then rebalancing grey with Red and Blue.

HCFR has its built-in BT.1886 gamma targets, but there is also a nice spreadsheet here on the Forum that allows you to calculate the BT.1886 luminance targets for a specific 0% and 100% IRE level (so you are not dependant on measured 0% value).

I have 100% at 100 cd/m2 and used a black level of 0.002 cd/m2 as my 0% level.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You use the 11-pt setting to 'force-in' a different gamma curve. This generally means adjusting green up or down depending on whether you are attempting to increase or decrease luminance at a specific IRE, and then rebalancing grey with Red and Blue.

HCFR has its built-in BT.1886 gamma targets, but there is also a nice spreadsheet here on the Forum that allows you to calculate the BT.1886 luminance targets for a specific 0% and 100% IRE level (so you are not dependant on measured 0% value).

I have 100% at 100 cd/m2 and used a black level of 0.002 cd/m2 as my 0% level.

Ahhh I see, Fafrd. That is how I did it when I tried it a few days ago but the huge swings in luminance needed more or less at the lower end, was giving me issues when I used green to lower and raise the levels. The luminance requirements for each level kept changing everytime I edited a level, so I was chasing my tail and never was able to dial it in. So I ended up going back to just using 2.2 for day viewing and 2.4 for night viewing. I thought you guys were doing it differently.

The ever changing luminance requirement for each level, was this due to letting HCFR calculate gamma based measured 0% value?

I guess it would be best to use the spreadsheet and not let HCFR auto calculate? If yes, then how do I set HCFR for that?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

If you play any kind of 2D-style scrolling game, especially fast-moving ones (particularly those from the 8- and 16-bit eras), I consider CA a must. :p Perfect examples of what I mean would be something like any of the Sonic the Hedgehog's on the Genesis.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts

If you play any kind of 2D-style scrolling game, especially fast-moving ones (particularly those from the 8- and 16-bit eras), I consider CA a must.
Perfect examples of what I mean would be something like any of the Sonic the Hedgehog's on the Genesis.
I was actually going to ask if CA did make a difference in movie or tv watching? Some reviewers were saying it didn't work and I didn't know if one of the firmwares fixed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
P502ui

Does anyone with a P502ui plan on posting an updated calibration for firmware 1.1.19? I was stuck with firmware 1.0.1 for almost a month before it updated, and the calibration on the first page of this thread made my TV look sooo beautiful. Now after the 1.1.19 update my TV looks like poo no matter what settings I try :( I contacted Vizio to see if there was a way to restore the firmware on my TV back to 1.0.1, but they said there was not. I hope someone with a P50 and the new firmware will be kind enough to post updated calibration settings soon.
Hi! Did you find an updated calibration for firmware 1.1.19? If so can you please share this info. Or maybe you can share some of your own settings?
Thank you

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I was actually going to ask if CA did make a difference in movie or tv watching? Some reviewers were saying it didn't work and I didn't know if one of the firmwares fixed it.
I think this is up for debate, but I'm with you in that I have seen zero reviews that actually validate it helps with motion resolution. I don't have the P, just the M, but would upgrade if CA did indeed work. On my M it works but only if you are running a very high backlight, say 60 plus. It's almost like the pixels bloom if the backlight is too high. Set backlight to 100 and toggle clear action and there is an obvious difference. But simply turn down the backlight to 40 or less and you get the same improvement without CA. Therfore I'm in the vamp the CA simply reduces the backlight...but again that is on the M.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I can see a bit of a difference on camera pans and the like, as well as sports or news tickers, but for the most-part it's subtle in most real video or film content since most inherently have motion blur already in it that effectively hides most of the blur that sample-and-hold display technologies introduce (which is the type of motion blur that is combated by black frame insertion). CA's effectiveness has not changed through the firmware revisions that I've noticed (having had 1.0.0, 1.1.14, and now 1.1.19 on my P70).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is another question about the ALZ On/Off during calibration. For primary and secondary colors, there is shift when using ALZ on where color patch patterns are far more off (higher DE) as well. Is it still suggested to calibrate with ALZ off even if it shifts with it on? I got a replacement p65 and am going with the approach mentioned here to have accuracy in color patches rather than lining up primary/secondary.

From what I'm reading for grey scale is that if we use a small enough (10%) patch size with ALZ on to measure, there is no difference between what is measured with it on or off correct? Does this apply for color as well?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone have any data for what player they correlated their calibration with? I used some provided here to get me in the ballpark then connected my oppo bdp95, ran spears&munsil and found the color to be pretty far off; as well as some fairly blatant processing errors.

1281 - 1300 of 1977 Posts