AVS Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! Finally figured it out. When using the Qobuz app directly, it streams through Airplay, which I did not realize. You have to use the Stream Magic app from Cambridge and run Qobuz from there in the "selected sources". A bit cumbersome since you don't get the same Qobuz interface and search/recommendations pages, but once you favorite the album or artist it will sync to Qobuz with in the app.

With all that said, I did some back and forth comparisons between 24bit/192khz from Qobuz an the same album from both Qobuz and Apple Music through Airplay at 16bit/44.1khz and really could not tell much of a difference in my system. Either Airplay is very good at processing CD quality files or something in my system is lacking. Still, I feel my system is resolving enough to be able to at least hear some differences. Wonder if others have heard significant differences in higher resolution vs standard CD quality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a CA CXA81. I must say, it's truly wonderful. I love it, and can't praise it enough. Now I'm considering purchasing the CXN V2 and the CXC separates.

Can anyone tell me what benefit I'd receive from the CXN V2, exactly? I listen to a lot of vinyl (also using a newly purchased CA phono stage, and I love it), and also listen to streaming music via Amazon Prime Music. So right now, I just use USB C-to-B linked from my Google Pixel phone directly into the integrated amp, and stream on Amazon that way. I have CDs that haven't seen the light of day in years, but the CXC is more self explanatory. My concern is really in the CXN V2.

So, again, what do I stand to gain using the CXN V2? What is its purpose, exactly? I understand it has a superior DAC, would that be it? I want to pull the trigger and buy it, but I'm just having a hard time figuring out what it is I would even use it for. What other sort of functionality does this have that I might use, other than as a DAC through my phone (something I can currently do directly into the CXA81)? How does the internet radio work? Do I need a subscription with some other service, or is it free with purchase of the box? I can't seem to find an explanation on how this works anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
I just got a CXA81. This amp has been a total surprise on how good it sounds. I’m feeding it with with a Bluesound Node 2i. I bypass the dac in the Node and use the dac in the CXA81 connected with a BJC coax. You never know when your going to stumble onto some magic. I highly recommend this setup.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Late streamer here....but having been introduced to Tidal with a free subscription at Xmas, courtesy of my Bro...and impressed with the vast array and selection I picked picked up a CXN V2 back in January after looking at all the options....
The Node 2i appeared to be all the rave and the Arcam rPlay was also on my radar but being an old stuck in the mud music lover a stand alone streamer was a lot more appealing, the on board display with remote, multiple output options, especially the balanced connectors feeding my Bryston BHA-1 headphone and a pair of Sennheiser HD800S off a 35” cable and the fact it's a DAC which also allows the digital out of my Apple TV (watching movies) and CDP to be also feed to my headphone set-up all made up for a great deal maker. : )

Current sources include a Bryston BCD-1 and modified Rega Planar 25 going to an Emotiva XSP-1 Gen2, Bryston 3BSST 2, Dynaudio Special 25s, Velodyne DD12.
I was a bit skeptical at first thinking Tidal would be a good way to audition new music and then opt for the CD but I was greatly surprised by the overall quality of sound, the CXN V2 has turned out to be quite the enjoyable listen, mind you not all albums available are of the same but that also applies to all recorded medium.
Haven’t made extensive comparisons by using the BCD-1 as a transport only but so far relatively promising, also it’s hard to do a quick A/B comparison using Bryston’s on board DAC as it’s analogue outputs are quite a few DBs louder than most other sources including the CXN requiring level adjustments each time.
Noise wise the Cambridge is excellent, running a 35’ balanced cable from the unit at the front of the room to my BHA-1 headphone amp behind the sofa no buzzes, hums or other detectable distractions...overall though from either the front stereo or the headphone set-up the sound is quite engaging, excellent dynamics and prat...really nice high frequencies, mid range and very prodigious but precisely defined base frequencies....surprisingly the music is very analogue in nature.

Also all the “audiophile “ accoutrements, if in the recording, were also present..staging, layering and depth...plenty of detail..... although they've been around forever, starting at about the same time I got involved in this hobby...1968, I'm not all that familiar with Cambridge Audio’s defined house sound but liking what I hear so far.....

With regards to the Cambridge Audio app “Stream Music” I find it quite usable...Tidal is not fully integrated but as long as I’ve can access my artists and their albums as I do my CD and Vinyl collection I’m happy..........currently I’ve no intention in transferring all my 1,000 or so discs not to mention a similar numbers of vinyl records to a hard drive so can not really comment the apps handling of servers or NAS drives....but the 22000 or so Radio stations is definitely worth exploring.

So far the CXN V2 has been a delight to use, should mention an Ethernet RJ45 connection is highly recommended, forget the Wi-Fi dongle and ones experience should be smooth sailing.... : )

.....just to add....I've had a Bluetooth device hooked up for a few years to my pre for "incidental" music (so not entirely a novice at streaming)...needless to say for multiple reasons the audio quality from the CXN is far superior and more or less on par with my main sources IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best option for Spotify Connect

Hi,

I am thinking of adding the CXN v2 to my setup but I am not sure about how much improvement it will bring to my system. This is how I currently connect.
1. My Yamaha RX-V1060 supports Spotify Connect via MusicCast app off my mobile phone, or
2. Directly off my Samsung Smart TV with the installed Spotify app with an ARC back to my AVR.

So with these options in place what more can the CXN bring to my table?

PS: I notice an improvement in sound quality from my TVs' Spotify Connect than when I play it off MusicCast. I don't understand why that is. (I am on Spotify Premium)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just received my cxn v2 ser 2 a few days ago. I was underwhelmed at first, but after several hours of listening it suddenly came alive and has impressed me ever since. About 15-20 hours of burn in, now, so I don't know if sound will continue to improve or if it's already where it will remain.

But my question involves a flashing light that I can see coming from the slight gap where the large knob on the right connects to the unit. It flashes when the unit is playing and in normal stand by from the app. If I turn it off from the unit itself, the flashing stops. Not a biggie, but somewhat distracting and annoying. Anyone else notice it, and is there a fix? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Official Cambridge CXN & AZUR 851N Thread

Hi,

I am thinking of adding the CXN v2 to my setup but I am not sure about how much improvement it will bring to my system. This is how I currently connect.
1. My Yamaha RX-V1060 supports Spotify Connect via MusicCast app off my mobile phone, or
2. Directly off my Samsung Smart TV with the installed Spotify app with an ARC back to my AVR.

So with these options in place what more can the CXN bring to my table?

PS: I notice an improvement in sound quality from my TVs' Spotify Connect than when I play it off MusicCast. I don't understand why that is. (I am on Spotify Premium)
If you’re not going to use it as a media hub, DAC or preamp then I see little point. The Cambridge is incredible value as a standalone player, but its control app pales compared to the excellent Yamaha software.

PS: For your SQ issue, check the Spotify account settings in MusicCast. There might be a streaming quality setting there in addition to the native Spotify app.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you’re not going to use it as a media hub, DAC or preamp then I see little point. The Cambridge is incredible value as a standalone player, but its control app pales compared to the excellent Yamaha software.

PS: For your SQ issue, check the Spotify account settings in MusicCast. There might be a streaming quality setting there in addition to the native Spotify app.

Hi thanks for your reply, I believe the MusicCast interface you showed was for Yamaha's wireless speakers, soundbar etc setup. For a wired setup, the MusicCast app is more limited & relies on the native Spotify app.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Trying to understand how the streaming works with these players. Does the music route through your phone and then to the player or is the phone app just a remote control? Having to stream from your phone with airplay or chrome cast seems to defeat the purpose of the player.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Trying to understand how the streaming works with these players. Does the music route through your phone and then to the player or is the phone app just a remote control? Having to stream from your phone with airplay or chrome cast seems to defeat the purpose of the player.
The app in your phone acts as a remote. The music is streamed directly from the Cambridge device.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts