AVS Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2301 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any hope for me? I’m watching Detroit locals from Canada. My Stream+ worked great with guide data and DVR functionality during most of December and then I lost the EPG and ability to schedule recordings in early Jan. I’m really hoping the EPG will return. Hoping Nick has some info. about an update that can fix this🤞. Thanks!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wouldn't you just know it?

Now that Netflix has put the kibosh on running a sideloaded app (which had been working just fine), along comes Amazon with a new build of Prime Video that finally streams without the audio drops or video stutters. Even 4K streams perfectly.

With Nick Chalko delivering continued improvements to Live Channels we could have had the dandy all-in-one device we hoped for.

Stupid Netflix.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Wouldn't you just know it?

Now that Netflix has put the kibosh on running a sideloaded app (which had been working just fine), along comes Amazon with a new build of Prime Video that finally streams without the audio drops or video stutters. Even 4K streams perfectly.

With Nick Chalko delivering continued improvements to Live Channels we could have had the dandy all-in-one device we hoped for.

Stupid Netflix.
Do you have any additional info on the Netflix clamping down on sideloaded apps statement. This is the first I have heard of it and would like to get more info.
THX

·
Registered
540 Posts
Do you have any additional info on the Netflix clamping down on sideloaded apps statement. This is the first I have heard of it and would like to get more info.
THX
Try running Netflix as a side-load. You will get an error message saying that the program isn't approved for the device. This began to appear about last November.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I take it back. I tried watching Prime Video last night, and the dropouts returned with startling frequency. I guess Amazon really wants us to buy Fire sticks.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Yesterday Channel Master sent me an email bragging that the Stream+ can now "Schedule Recordings up to 14 days in advance." Guess they didn't realize it's been able to do that for some time; what's new is being able to see the schedule up to 14 days in advance in the program guide! (Before, you had to search for the program you wanted to record; you couldn't just browse for it.)

Anyway, it's good Google finally has this working (sort of, depending on how many channels you have). Better (13 months) late than never.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Anyway, it's good Google finally has this working (sort of, depending on how many channels you have). Better (13 months) late than never.
You have to wonder how long Google is going to remain committed to this. Hard to see what their angle is or where they hope to make money off of Live Channels. That's what would scare me off the Stream+. Without Live Channels it is a bust compared to the other Android streaming boxes.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You have to wonder how long Google is going to remain committed to this. Hard to see what their angle is or where they hope to make money off of Live Channels. That's what would scare me off the Stream+. Without Live Channels it is a bust compared to the other Android streaming boxes.

Google's business model is to give away something in return for information about you. Android, the world's most successful mobile operating system is an example. It is still free to any manufacturer and it gets Google in the center of people's lives for data collection. Live Channels is just a feature of Android for Television, and Google wants dominance in that market as well.

If it's used sufficiently, then it's worth it for them to keep it operating.If, like Google+, it is not used very much then they'll dump it. It's all about eyeballs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Amazon vs Google conflict continues, and I'm siding with Google as in the long run I think they have a better strategy, (not to mention Bezos is not being as responsible as he should be).

Amazon pulled the HDHomerun app from the Fire device App Store. If you already have it, your good, for now. http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-removes-hdhomerun-app-from-the-fire-tv-appstore-likely-due-to-omniverse-lawsuit/

If you are a new Fire TV device user, the only choice for adding OTA/DVR features is Recast, or a few less than good quality devices.

This is a response to Silicon Dust's Premium TV provider, Omniverse One, being sued by Amazon and other Studios for possibly not having the rights to provide the services Premium TV, as well as other last mile content providers, need.

As Premium TV is a very small percentage of HDHomeruns services, I would think there were other options to consider, however, pulling the app is beneficial to Amazon while they roll out Recast.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Sounds like that lawsuit was merely an excuse for Amazon to do what they wanted to do anyway: close Fire TVs off to any competition to the Recast.

The courts will decide whether their allegations have merit, but they probably needed to allege some kind of wrongdoing; otherwise, pulling the app could have been seen as violating antitrust laws.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I suspect there will be some kind of resolution for the last mile providers currently using Omniverse, but it will probably be an arrangement with AT&T, SlingTV or YTTV as a provider, similar to the MVNOs in the mobile market (Cricket, MetroPC, Republic, Google Fi, etc.)

Meanwhile, the HD Homerun app is still in the Google Play store for Android TV devices, including the Nvidia Shield, MiBox and Stream+. I agree with merman9393 that Google probably wins the competition if Amazon continues to lock down the ecosystem. But, that doesn't mean Amazon will fail. Apple became the biggest company in the world by having an extremely closed ecosystem.

I have my Stream+ hooked up to a flatwave antenna with about six channels coming in. I'm toying with the idea of joining the flatwave with a home made VHF dipole to bring in the high VHF signals I get here (ABC, CW, Fox and two independents). That will reduce the number of channels I can receive to under 100. Meanwhile, my HD Homerun app on the Stream+ works well to show me the other stations I'm missing. Still not perfect, and if the Stream+ gets the ability to display guide data based on the number of channels selected to be shown in the channel guide I'll switch back to the Stream+ on the big antenna.

·
Registered
105 Posts
According to the official Reddit stream beta page, the beta currently under development will address the number of channels issue by freeing up memory. The program descriptions will be eliminated until you click that field.
I could do without the channel logos and the useless genre menu on the left as well.

Maybe the next stream ++ will have more ram.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
I added the Locast app to my iPhone when I realized they added support for the Washington DC area. Great idea, but, just not quite there yet. They stream local broadcast networks for a $5 a month "donation". https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18236704/locast-review-streaming-free-local-programming-tv

Roku seems to be the only Set Top Box supported, but Android TV should be added when the Roku exclusive commitment ends, and hopefully Stream+'s Google Play Store should have it available. For people in areas where obstructions restrict reception this will be a great addition. So far, only a few major cities have been supported, but once a few hurdles are overcome, I expect they will add other areas quickly. I wouldn't say the quality is as good as with a high quality antenna, but, as I mentioned, some folks just can't get reception regardless of antenna.

They operate within a legal loophole that, so far, has not angered the broadcast networks to take legal action. They are a non profit that accepts donations to maintain & operate the equipment necessary to provide the service.

I total supported the Aereo streaming service a decade ago that was shut down by the broadcasters, as it made a profit from re-broadcasting networks signals without licenses or fee agreements. Locast believes they are on solid legal footing, but understandably are cautious about their roll out plans.

·
Registered
22 Posts
External file storage support

Wondering if the Stream+ supports external usb powered HDD such as the WD Elements series. Yes, I know it supports DVR storage but I am interested in home edited family videos, some of which are two hours long, necessitating NTFS. It would be ideal if it supported ISO files but I would be satisfied with mpeg 4 varieties.

I suppose I would have to use something like ES File Explorer to access the files. Wouldn't it be grand if there was an interface that, when an external drive was detected, would add tiles to the interface for one click playing? Perhaps dreaming just bit - but wouldn't that be great?

-=Ken=-

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you connect an HDD to the Stream+, it prompts you to format it and will only use one that it has formatted. So don't connect a drive with files on it.

That said, you could connect it to your laptop/desktop and use a great app I use called Videostream to stream literally any video format to your TV. I use it all the time and have yet to find a format it doesn't support.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Wondering if the Stream+ supports external usb powered HDD such as the WD Elements series. Yes, I know it supports DVR storage but I am interested in home edited family videos, some of which are two hours long, necessitating NTFS. It would be ideal if it supported ISO files but I would be satisfied with mpeg 4 varieties.

I suppose I would have to use something like ES File Explorer to access the files. Wouldn't it be grand if there was an interface that, when an external drive was detected, would add tiles to the interface for one click playing? Perhaps dreaming just bit - but wouldn't that be great?

-=Ken=-

You can use the connected drive for either DVR storage and nothing else, or as attached storage that other apps can access across your network. For instance, I had used my drive to store recordings from the HD Homerun DVR service on, and the HD Homerun app was able to see it and use it for it's storage.

The limitation I had at the time is that the Stream+ kept getting disconnected from the network, and this was using a wired ethernet connection. Removing and then re-inserting the ethernet cable restored the connection so that the drive showed up on the network and apps like Youtube could access the Internet. That bug may have been fixed (the Stream+ is ... thank God ... not my primary DVR or streamer so I can tolerate the bugs better than someone who is actually using it for daily viewing).

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can use the connected drive for either DVR storage and nothing else, or as attached storage that other apps can access across your network. For instance, I had used my drive to store recordings from the HD Homerun DVR service on, and the HD Homerun app was able to see it and use it for it's storage.
Thank you @fshagan for the additional information. However, I still don't know if I can use the Stream+ as a media player by plugging in an NTFS HDD with mpeg 4 home videos and playing them easily. Perhaps you are saying NO by exclusion?
-=Ken=-

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thank you @fshagan for the additional information. However, I still don't know if I can use the Stream+ as a media player by plugging in an NTFS HDD with mpeg 4 home videos and playing them easily. Perhaps you are saying NO by exclusion?
-=Ken=-
Put simply, no you cannot.

1981 - 2000 of 2301 Posts