AVS Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 2301 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a new Stream+ to replace an aging DVR+. Setup went okay, but I don’t think it is as good as the old DVR+. I’m noticing a slight flicker on live TV, both live and playback of recorded shows.
This doesn’t appear with any other set in the household nor with the old DVR+. New hdmi cables everywhere and strong OTA signal.
DVR+ was designed for OTA DVR with some streaming as an afterthought...Stream+ is mostly about streaming with OTA DVR as a secondary feature. I was not pleased with the Stream+ and sent mine back. I ended up getting a Tivo Roamio as my primary DVR unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DVR+ was designed for OTA DVR with some streaming as an afterthought...Stream+ is mostly about streaming with OTA DVR as a secondary feature. I was not pleased with the Stream+ and sent mine back. I ended up getting a Tivo Roamio as my primary DVR unit.
Has anyone else had this problem; i.e., an occasional flicker while watching live (or recorded) TV on the Stream+? I placed an order with Channel Master for a distribution amp to replace the splitter I have, in the event it is a low signal issue. I should have it sometime next week, so maybe it will solve the problem? We'll see...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
^
I don't use it to watch live, but absolutely no flicker issues watching recorded shows. It works just as well or better than the DVR+ for playback of recordings. Could be some incompatibility with a TV picture setting.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I installed the fox sports app yesterday and it is very jumpy while streaming. Not smooth frame rate like fox over the air is.
I tried playing with different 1080p and i frame rates. Its not related.

I then installed the same app on my firetv stick. It is smooth as butter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Could someone kindly tell me whether the Stream+ will record streamed videos, such as from YouTube, to the external hard drive?
Also, was a viable solution, similar to the solution for the DVR+, ever devised to transfer files recorded by the Stream+ on its external hard drive to a Windows PC?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Could someone kindly tell me whether the Stream+ will record streamed videos, such as from YouTube, to the external hard drive?
Also, was a viable solution, similar to the solution for the DVR+, ever devised to transfer files recorded by the Stream+ on its external hard drive to a Windows PC?
The Stream+ only records over the air TV. It does not record streaming videos.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I installed the fox sports app yesterday and it is very jumpy while streaming. Not smooth frame rate like fox over the air is.
Do you mean "yesterday" as in Saturday night during the Wilder vs Fury PPV ? If so, not surprising that you might have issues. The fight was streamed over Fox Sports and ESPN+ apps.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Do you mean "yesterday" as in Saturday night during the Wilder vs Fury PPV ? If so, not surprising that you might have issues. The fight was streamed over Fox Sports and ESPN+ apps.
Probably not, as he posted on February 2nd.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
838 Posts

The Stream+ only records OTA signals. There was an early effort to extract the video and compile it, but it was time consuming and had a "glitch" in the audio near the beginning. I think the effort was given up as there wasn't enough interest. Because it's based on Android TV, it encrypts the files on the hard drive so there's a bit of work doing anything with them.

The HD Homerun records OTA signals in easily copied files that you can copy from one device to another. That's the easiest one I know of.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Stream+ only records OTA signals. There was an early effort to extract the video and compile it, but it was time consuming and had a "glitch" in the audio near the beginning. I think the effort was given up as there wasn't enough interest. Because it's based on Android TV, it encrypts the files on the hard drive so there's a bit of work doing anything with them.

The HD Homerun records OTA signals in easily copied files that you can copy from one device to another. That's the easiest one I know of.
Thanks, fshagan. I'll take a look at the HD Homerun as a possible replacement for the DVR+.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks, fshagan. I'll take a look at the HD Homerun as a possible replacement for the DVR+.

I hate their included "Slice Guide", but if you have a Plex Pass it can be used as a tuner in Plex, and you get a great "grid style guide" for 14 days out with Plex.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I hate their included "Slice Guide", but if you have a Plex Pass it can be used as a tuner in Plex, and you get a great "grid style guide" for 14 days out with Plex.
Thanks again, fshagan. Yes, I've heard of Plex, and seen other posts about the short-comings of a "Slice Guide", although I am not familiar with either of these. So I will check out the Plex Pass.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cautiously Pessimistic

I got a Channel Master email Stream+ sale. $89 till 3/7/2020.
I too just ordered one from this sale as I'm not happy with the recent problems of the DVR+ guide data. The DVR+ has been a great DVR once I gave up hope of it having stream functionality (I did enjoy watching Newsy on their linear tv for the short while that lasted). The end of life of the guide is the end of life for the DVR+ for me. Not happy with the Unknown Events from Rovi data and not at all happy with the 1 day of still spotty data from OTA.

But I thought oh, the Stream+ is on sale and is an android TV box. That will be nice, I can relocate my Roku to another TV and run everything off the Stream+.
Now I'm reading this thread and sounds like the Roku will need to stay right where it is. :confused: Some on this thread seem to think it works great as a DVR, some not so much. I will be sure to utilize my 15 day no hassle return window.

Couple of questions if you experienced users would be so kind. I'm sure they've been discussed but I can't read this entire thread...
1. I understand the remote uses IR and Bluetooth. Is the Bluetooth mostly for the voice search? Will I be able to operate the Stream+ with my Harmony 665 and forgo the voice search? Or is Bluetooth used for other functions I don't know about?

2. I couldn't find if there is a cap on the largest SD card that the Stream+ will accept (and utilize all the space). Sounds like it runs better on an SD card than a hard drive? What's the biggest SD card I can utilize?

3. What's the best alternative if I think this is garbage? I want an OTA DVR with no monthly fees and the real kicker is it has to be easy enough for my wife to use. I've thought about other options like Tablo, HomeRun, or even FireTV Recast, but I think they'd be too complicated for her. Want the standard DVR set top box experience. I may even have to consider a Tivo unit and coughing up the lifetime fee. Any alternatives I'm missing?

Thank you in advance for your incite!

·
Registered
15,080 Posts
1. I understand the remote uses IR and Bluetooth. Is the Bluetooth mostly for the voice search? Will I be able to operate the Stream+ with my Harmony 665 and forgo the voice search? Or is Bluetooth used for other functions I don't know about?

2. I couldn't find if there is a cap on the largest SD card that the Stream+ will accept (and utilize all the space). Sounds like it runs better on an SD card than a hard drive? What's the biggest SD card I can utilize?

3. What's the best alternative if I think this is garbage? I want an OTA DVR with no monthly fees and the real kicker is it has to be easy enough for my wife to use. I've thought about other options like Tablo, HomeRun, or even FireTV Recast, but I think they'd be too complicated for her. Want the standard DVR set top box experience. I may even have to consider a Tivo unit and coughing up the lifetime fee. Any alternatives I'm missing?

1. Included remote is BT. Box responds to both IR and BT. As you guessed, every function except voice is available via IR. Harmony should have them all. If not, post back and I can give you pronto hex you can give to Logitech to add to your account.

2. Don't know about capacity. I had exactly the opposite experience, very bad luck with SD cards. They'd work a while, get overheated and lose everything. HDD works much better.

3. I went with Recast and am very happy with them. Others are indeed inferior and too complicated. But Lifetime Roamio OTA's can be had for about the same money and work very well.

I personally would not spend a dime on ATSC 1 hardware with ATSC 3 so close. But that's just me.

The $89 sale price is great, but still $89 too high IMO.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is a steal at $89, they'll even let you stack the 5% coupon for signing up for the newsletter AND it includes free shipping!

I couldn't resist buying another, I ordered it a few hours ago and it's already shipped and is being delivered tomorrow.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too just ordered one from this sale as I'm not happy with the recent problems of the DVR+ guide data. The DVR+ has been a great DVR once I gave up hope of it having stream functionality (I did enjoy watching Newsy on their linear tv for the short while that lasted). The end of life of the guide is the end of life for the DVR+ for me. Not happy with the Unknown Events from Rovi data and not at all happy with the 1 day of still spotty data from OTA.

But I thought oh, the Stream+ is on sale and is an android TV box. That will be nice, I can relocate my Roku to another TV and run everything off the Stream+.
Now I'm reading this thread and sounds like the Roku will need to stay right where it is. :confused: Some on this thread seem to think it works great as a DVR, some not so much. I will be sure to utilize my 15 day no hassle return window.

Couple of questions if you experienced users would be so kind. I'm sure they've been discussed but I can't read this entire thread...

I also have the CM DVR+ & have been very annoyed with the problems with the channel guide. The issue, according to CM, appears to be one that cannot be fixed. I also own the CM Stream+ that I use for recording. That way I have 4 turner capacity with two dvr’s. The Stream+ is very adequate for a DVR, it does have some shortcomings, but it does work well. I just saw the CM sale for $89.00, so I just ordered my second Stream+. The idea is that it will take the place of my CM DVR+. I also ordered a 1TB portable external hard drive. The one that CM recommends is the Western Digital Elements WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN. I ordered it off Amazon for $45.99. The other feature that I like is the apps available for my tv streaming: YouTube TV & Sling TV, which I subscribe to. Easy access for both services. I have done some research on other DVR possibilities, they all have there good & bad points. I have settled on what I know, & am confident that it will get the job done for me. With the least expense possible is a win-win! Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have the CM DVR+ & have been very annoyed with the problems with the channel guide. The issue, according to CM, appears to be one that cannot be fixed.
I have a CM DVR+ and have been using it flawlessly for many years for OTA recordings. As recently as this past Monday, the channel guide has worked perfectly still recording NEW episodes of TV shows that I set up over two and three years ago!

I get my guide off the Internet thru WiFi using the USB WiFi adapter. You also MUST have the most recent firmware installed for the guide to function properly. Your DVR+ firmware version should say "135R" if you have the latest firmware installed. You also should do a factory reset after updating the firmware.

·
Registered
838 Posts

1. The Stream+ works with Harmony remotes, and it is in the Harmony database. I had a 665 and I don't recall even having to re-map any of the buttons for the Stream+.

2. CM no longer recommends using an SD card for recording. They had nothing but problems, more with the fake cards that are so common even on Amazon. Capacity and speed of the card are not as advertised. Some studies when I was looking at it said that 80% of the SD cards were not "to spec". I had the best luck with a POWERED usb harddrive (the ones that draw power from the USB connection often disconnected, I think due to overheating the Stream+).

3. Because my DVR+ died, I'm now using two alternatives: Amazon Fire Recast and HD Homerun combined with Plex.

The Recast is a nice network device that will broadcast over your home network to any Fire TV device (but does not work with Apple TV or Roku devices). The disadvantage of the Recast is the reliance on the Fire TV, because their interface sucks, is full of ads on the home page, and requires periodic tweaking to prevent Amazon-sponsored apps from showing up on that screen. There are hacks to replace the Home screen. In terms of DVR usage, though, on the DVR tab, the interface works pretty well. And you can stream nearly anything - Netflix, Prime, YouTube, Sling, Philo, Frendly, etc. on the Fire TV stick. It makes a nice unified all-in-one ecosystem in that respect. The Harmony devices will not work with it - I even upgraded to a Harmony Hub and the experience is awful. Use the new voice remote you get with new Fire TV sticks and you'll be happier.

The HD HomeRun is a nice device, but their subscription guide at $35 a year isn't to my liking. Instead of the familiar grid style guide it uses their "slice guide", and I don't like it. You can see it on YouTube. If you can get used to that guide the interface isn't too clunky, but is different than what you're used to. Like the Recast it is a network device, but you can stream to Firestick, Apple TV (I think), and Roku.

I have a Plex media server I set up years ago to stream my content, and I bought their lifetime Plex Pass. I have the HD Homerun as the tuner for the Plex DVR, and it works well. The one thing that's nice about the HD HomeRun is that it records programs to disk as regular video files, so you can copy them to another device using regular Windows commands. The only limitations I notice is that the Plex + HD HomeRun is slightly slower to respond, and the channel guide mis-identifies one of my stations from out of the market so the guide data for that channel isn't correct.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a CM DVR+ and have been using it flawlessly for many years for OTA recordings. As recently as this past Monday, the channel guide has worked perfectly still recording NEW episodes of TV shows that I set up over two and three years ago!

I get my guide off the Internet thru WiFi using the USB WiFi adapter. You also MUST have the most recent firmware installed for the guide to function properly. Your DVR+ firmware version should say "135R" if you have the latest firmware installed. You also should do a factory reset after updating the firmware.
I did check my firmware version & it is the 135R update. I have noticed just recently that I am getting no “unknown event” listing on the channel guide. Maybe the issue was fixed after all. I will be monitoring & hoping the guide stays accurate for my dvr scheduling. Thanks for your input.

2261 - 2280 of 2301 Posts